Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I want to believe this is how Mom sounded as an adult too. "Yeah my lil Rosie just fuckin loooves the wizdards."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Since Mom seems to type like a pink drunk Dave, I can only come to the amazed/horrified conclusion that Bro is distressingly eloquent in his chats. Remember Complacency of the Learned?

Ponies.
He's Mort from the Anime Club.

The TERM, Clyde, is HENTAI. You UNCULTURED SWINE.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Xochipilli posted:

UU mentioned something about curious dark patches in transmission with DrunkMom.

This is because she will basically go completely off the deep end in every way. She will become blackout.
KidMom gave the universe cancer cirrhosis.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cavatica posted:

I honestly don't know which log was funnier: Dave and Tavros, Dave, John and Karkat, or this. If Dave, Karkat and kidMom ever meet, it would signal then end of the comic. Hussie wouldn't be able to top himself.
This one's definitely a close second to the John/ Karkat/ Dave STAY AWAY FROM OUR WOMEN, IDIOTS memo. Someday I too will reach the august ranks of the Easily Outfoxed by Simple Utensils Buckaroos :allears:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Spellman posted:

And Tomb of the Ancestors is out: http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/album/tomb-of-the-ancestors
Spider8ite sounds like the theme song for some total bastard optional RPG boss.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

Oh, if only you were the one who could have overcome his paralysis on an alien adventure planet to become her boyfriend, instead of that other guy. Then she could have shown you how to be bold and courageous, and stand up to fight for your people
:shepface:
And then she might teach him to flyyyyyyyy, pupa!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
This is, of course, the one and only time in the entire comic where these details are, in fact, completely insignificant.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Spellman posted:

Just as the Professor foretold.
Too anime to live, too shonen to die.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Two of Doc Scratch's first in-comic acts were helping Vriska to cripple Tavros, and persuading her to kill Aradia. I dunno, those sent a pretty strong signal to me that he was evil.
Not even just helping her, but mocking her when she shows reluctance. He has always been fat nasty trash.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Also their inventory set-ups are not complete bullshit. Well Jake's is like 1/3 bullshit but that's largely his own loving fault.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Those Fred Astaire lamps are really just dandy as all hell.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The scratched universe's John has pre-scratch John's copy of Sassacre. What is up with thaaaat?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cyrai posted:

I'm quite possibly wrong, but I've always had the feeling that that's been redacted, more or less. At least in the link, Vriska just barely mentions there being more than one, and aside from maybe the other update, everybody seems to treat God Tier as a single, ultimate upgrade. It's possible that nobody mentions the multiple levels because hardly anbyody gets to God Tier, but I think Hussie might have abandoned that barely mentioned idea
I think Doc Scratch mentions that one of the reasons Vriska even stands a chance against Jack is because of all the XP she got from getting the killing blow on the black king.

Additionally this tells us that Homestuck has a lovely experience system.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

My favourite is also Gamzee related. Some Vriska fan QQing over Vriska having to die while Gamzee gets to hug it out, his answer is that it's funnier this way.

"BUT GAMZEE HAS TO PAY FOR HIS CRIIIIIIIMES!!!! Man, who gives a gently caress".
He's got a point. Gettin' mad at gamzee is like raging at a cardboard cutout.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the shoosh pap scene concluded Karkat's arc, though. That guy had the best pesterlogs :(
uh I don't think that's, like, a hard cutoff for Karkat. You guys are kinda blowing one of his standard non-answers out of proportion here.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Kill fuckin fairybulls erryday.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A good poster posted:

There's gotta be some version of Aurthour out there, possibly the same size, possibly enormous.
Y'know that beastie from the end of The Mist? The one they drive under?

yeah

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MrBims posted:

Uh, no, sorry, Gamzee isn't going to get any 'comeuppance.' If he dies, it will be for reasons unrelated to what happened. Hussie isn't lying or kidding when he says there is a difference between a character arc and a series of jokes.
Problem being that the only way for Gamzee to be less funny is if he communicated entirely through Reddit rageface comics.

gamzeechat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Given how much stick Vriska got from other trolls for being a murderous backstabber, it'd be really weird if everyone was cool with Gamzee now. I mean, Christ, at least she never went around redecorating the joint in a Silent Hill body parts motif.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Later on, Kanaya straight up punches Vriska before leaving her to her own devices because she's preoccupied with Rose's screen going dark (ironically just as Vriska starts having flushed feelings for her).
I think Hussie claimed that was just a Problem Sleuth reference and not actually something that was important.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
here's a puzzler: when is hussie going to get his comeuppance for sandbagging on part 2 of the olive garden trip report

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

A lot of people react like that. And honestly the chatlogs are at their worst when Act 5-1 rolls around, but if you can muddle through it, particularly the more insufferable of the typing quirks, I think you'll find that the dialogue is pretty well-written.
While some of the typing quirks are pretty annoying, they do actually give you an idea of how the characters sound.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

TT: You don't just make a clone of yourself to live in a dead end existence where it has no chance to thrive as an individual or surpass its limitations.
TT: That'd be sick.
Yeah seriously what kind of gently caress up would do something like that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jazu posted:

There's an interesting sort of parallel. When she was bleeding to death, when it was really important, Tavros couldn't kill Vriska. And when everyone's lives depended on it, Vriska couldn't NOT kill Jack. You get to see it, and Vriska pulls this poo poo-eating grin right after every other troll gets killed off, just because she has a fancy suit and a sword. And the narration almost takes her side, weirdly. Scratch brings up whether or not she'd win. Like it matters.
yeah that's a poo poo eating grin right there all right

Also Terezi didn't do her whole "wooo i'm a seer i know alllll wooooOOOOoo" case much good when she started the conversation with a bunch of real dumb wrong dumb accusations.

e. Thirdly its hard to view Vriska as having a hubristic fall when as far as she's concerned her only mistake was thinking that Terezi didn't have the stones to kill someone herself. If you want real, harmatia-style selfownage, Vriska in the beta timeline got heaps of that.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 7, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Except that revelation is an important aspect of the classical conceptualization of harmatia. Saying that you can have a hubristic arc without the character realizing the significance of events is like saying you can have classical Greek culture without rampant misogyny and atavism.

And Terezi's far from the objective arbiter that people seem to be wanting to read her as.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 7, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Maybe we're using different understandings of harmatia, which is likely because Artistotle changes the definition of words frequently and largely without warning as fancy strikes him, but I... don't think you can say harmatia is just for the audience's benefit. It's a central, defining flaw for a character. Its just not very satisfying, to me at least, to cash in this fatal flaw and then immediately negate everything while handwaving it off.

Which is incidentally why I think that beta-timeline Vriska has a role to play in the story.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Vriska on a narrative basis requires punishment.
whoa whoa whoa, check your premises mang. You seem to be trying to inject moralizing into a thing that the author was very clearly not intending to be moralistic.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Downfall is not a one-to-one match with punishment. There's only real 100% correlation if you subscribe to some weird Greco-roman belief system where fortune is a Real Person That Exists and lives on a mountain in the balkans. But now I'm just doing semantic bickering to cover for the fact that its 3:30 and I can hardly think straight.

Lemme just leave off by saying a think a lot of your reasoning depends on Vriska being definitely "evil" and Terezi being unambiguously objective and "good", both being things we've been shown as untrue.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Oh okay. It just occurred to me that the real problem here is that I'm bad at parsing tonight, because I think I might be really resolutely trying to convince you of something you're already saying. "being evil" and "doing evil" mean different things, ahurr.

Although, because I can't stop loving posting, I'd argue while we're talking about tragic flaws here, that the coinflip debacle was as much an outgrowth of Terezi's flaws as Vriska's.

e. haha I'm putting seriously thought into cartoon thirteen year olds. truly the owned one was me all along.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 7, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
In conclusion, Vriska Serket can be compared and contrasted.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
And now for something completely different.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Snollygoster posted:

*George R. R. Martin fan stands up, sits back down panting heavily*

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Oh man, John is going to be so very disappointed three years from now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Three years alone together sounds like a sure-fire way to make siblings completely loathe each other.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Oh hey I remember when pretty much this exact joke happened with Gamzee and Karkat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Jack's just seeking out Karkat's expert advice to help him deal with these unfamiliar, non-stabbing based emotions he's having abruptly.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

So if Jack could barely take on Vriska, what are the chances of 3 god tiers?
I'm pretty sure that's not going to be an issue. He's probably going to get stuck in the Ring with the horrorterrors. Pointless mass murder is his schtick, and something's killing the squiddles.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Best part? He probably included something in the note like "oh hey vriska can't wait to meet you".

Karkat's gonna have to wash his hands with acid and steel wool.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Dave's poo poo talking the danse macabre just made my day, not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

JT Jag posted:

So the real question is, if this Sollux goes adventuring with everyone, what will he see when he goes to sleep, considering he left his dreambubble?
Some serious poo poo.