Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Kanaya had her chance, after the showdown, to get Vriska to calm the gently caress down and play nice. In the end, Vriska's impulse to get her fight on against Jack was just too strong, though.

It wasn't just her impulse. She'd spent so long planning out this encounter that she felt obligated to go along with it even when alternatives started presenting themselves and she no longer personally felt like seeing her plans through.

That's part of what I liked about her character arc's conclusion - after spending so much time with ALL THE IRONS in ALL THE FIRES and manipulating events to make her appear to be the driving force behind everything, Vriska's plans get so huge and inevitable that they co-opt even her in the end, and lead to her undoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I trimmed down the Galactic Cancer art to avatar-size. Does this look okay, or does anyone think it might be too murky?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I thought that the frog up-top would look better but Karkat looks good too. Though if I were you, I'd add a black border around it, like with mine.

Like this? Hard to see since it's black on dark blue, but I'm pretty sure it's the usual 1 px size:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Now someone needs to get Davesprite/Jadesprite avs.

Just an endless line of people turning their heads to the right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Really, it's gotta be a very special kind of lovely feeling to know you're the descendant of the messiah, and then give a whole universe cancer.

And that as a result literally every bad thing that has ever happened in that universe, at least on the cosmic scale, is your fault.

Skaia's got a sick sense of humor to use the most self-loathing but basically good-natured player as the agent of its prankish brand of predestination.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Thinking of taking this one, but I'm strapped for flavor text ideas.

I love the old av, but I need that newer more modern derpy Johnness.

Comedy option:

EB: excuse me, it is called the wrinkle fucker, and it is totally amazing.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh cool, an updaaaaooooooohhhhhmygaaaahhhd

So I guess I was half-right by insisting it was Cal. Close enough for me!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh my God, the peg leg. The peg leg.

He's Skipper loving Plumbthroat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eiba posted:

And, I guess it's my own fault for psyching myself up for some sort of really neat twist, but Lord English just being hulk Doc Scratch seems... eh.

But it could lead to an interesting twist. If we are to assume that Lord English typically enters a universe by taking over the body of the Guardian powered by the Green Sun... that would mean that in our universe, he'd use Bec's body to enter the universe. Bec became a sprite, and then was merged with dead dream Jade, who was merged with real Jade, which means...

Jade is Lord English. Or at least, she'd become Lord English if he entered our universe the same way as the Trolls universe.

Everyone who was hoping one of our major characters would somehow become Lord English was setting themselves up for disappointment as far as I'm concerned. He was portrayed from the start as this inscrutable force with no clear objectives or motives beside an endless procession of universal destruction. Trying to take any of the kids and make them into that would've been just about impossible to pull off effectively, and would piss a lot of people off anyway even if it worked. Lots of people were betting on Doc Scratch because he was the only one with a direct connection to English in the first place. I was banking on Cal because he was exactly as unknowable and terrifying as Lord English. Exactly.

And seeing the intermission, I can't be sure if we'll get any kind of detailed origin story on him at all. How the gently caress does something that like come to exist? My only guess is that he was a prototyping accident similar to Bec Noir that just compounded his own power over countless iterations of Skaia. When such a complex process has basically gone on for infinity years, the odds of something going that horribly wrong are pretty high.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seoinin posted:

So does that mean he's the one killing the horrorterrors? But aren't they outside the universe?

I get the impression that if Lord English wants something dead then its current orientation in space and time isn't going to help it much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why did the soundtracks get changed in the first place anyway?

He went crazy, made a huge rear end of himself on the forums, and got all his music pulled. He also tends to ego-search so the topic's not brought up anymore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Yeah true, but killing off one of the elements of the process that creates new universes for him to consume seems really dumb on his part.

Unless they aren't actually a part of his process. Assuming he's not just killing them for yuks (seriously look at that loving thing), he probably views either the horrorterrors or their dreambubbles as a threat to his power. Though past that I'm just blue-skying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I guess we now know which body we weren't supposed to turn our backs on

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I guess that the Mirthful Messiahs et al are actually imprinted by Lord English on his corrupted session post-summoning. Its followers become murderous in the corrupt sessions but imprint more benign versions of themselves in the subsequent "failure" session, only for the benign version to become murderous again when the failure session is Scratched.

You know what that means. In post-scratch Earth, juggalos are the most dangerous humans alive.

You bastards, you blew it all up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Since we already have a character who can instantly travel through space, can react nearly instantly, and destroy universes with a gesture, I wonder how Hussie will establish Lord English as the big threat? I hope it'll be better than a DBZ-style "Everyone moves clouds and shreds mountains when they power up, but when this guy does it, they act concerned."

Not even Problem Sleuth sank that low after a hojillion updates against DMK. I think we can all be confident that English's power won't amount to making stuff explode harder or whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm kind of curious about what this "predicted" form of LE was supposed to be. Anyone have a link?

The most popular interpretation that I saw was just an empty void in space (like the energy flashes that First Guardians go through, only black instead of green) wearing the coat, with the pool-ball eyes as his only discernible feature. Can't find any pictures of it, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Huh.

The first one is okay-ish, I could maybe see why they would think that was a possibilty. The last two? Not so much. The middle one is kinda cool, but it is not in the least bit threatening. LE needs to be terrifying, after so much build-up. Then again, I think most MSPA readers might be holding too close to the idea of another final boss like the one from Problem Sleuth, so I like the idea of it going in the opposite direction of Dapper Gent vs Horrible Multi-form Beast.

No comment on the last one though. Just awful.

Looks like the fanartists are having a ball with his canon design anyway.

Think I might take some of these to the art thread.

edit: wait, no, someone posted it already.

He was already there.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 3, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

As much as I love my Dave-atar, I now want a Karkat-atar. I'm thinking Xamag's Karkat from the EOA5 flash here, but I need a quote. Maybe this one:

CG: I DO TWO THINGS AND TWO THINGS ONLY, I DEVASTATE SORRY MOTHERFUCKERS, AND GET poo poo DONE AS AN AWESOME LEADER.

Any other suggestions?

CG: OK, LET ME JUST CHECK THE UNIVERSAL CLOCK WHICH KEEPS CONSISTENT TIME FOR ALL FRAMES OF REFERENCE AND ALL PLANES OF REALITY.
CG: IT'S HALF PAST YOU'RE A MORON.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It says something about Karkat that he gets more screentime than anyone else except the kids and avatar images of him are still constantly in short supply.

(what it says is he's the best character)

I still remember when I read his first Pesterlog and thought he was an exceptionally rude WV.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CidGregor posted:

This is basically me. Are you me?

Seriously, I'm always baffled when people say they don't like the long chatlogs, in any context or presentation, like having to READ like it's a BOOK is a bad thing. The longer the better, I say. To call these chatlogs a wall of text, no matter how chock full they are of solid comedic gold, I......I don't even know what to say to that. It's like people don't read books anymore.

Well, they kinda don't. You can be sad now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Scratch dies, but he never really stays dead. New iterations of him are created in every universe English has marked, and he's totally fine with this.

If anything, he likes the fact that his boss's existence makes every universe doomed and every attempt to break the cycle futile. Because that would be a hilarious prank, and because he is an rear end in a top hat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

No, I don't think so. Future Gamzee there was only 42 minutes ahead, which would put him at around the 2:30 mark on the countdown. He also makes reference to meeting some friends, being Equius and Nepeta most likely.

It really reinforces just how much all the stuff that went down is Karkat's fault. If he had just listened to Gamzee and found him right away to do the shoosh-pap moirail thing he would've saved Equius and Nepeta, stopped Gamzee from manipulating Terezi into fighting Vriska and stopped him from voodoo-chuckling John and Dave.

Karkat's honestly a pretty terrible leader.

Yeah, shame on him for not being prescient and wasting time dragging around his unconscious (and one remaining sane [Terezi's just too weird]) friend.

It's been made pretty clear that his browbeating everyone was the only thing keeping people in line up to this point. He unites everybody in the same way as John, he just approaches it from the opposite direction.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I remember the episode where he fought an entire army of giant robot beetles. Near the end Jack is just covered in oil. The robot's are shooting oil everywhere, Jack cuts the head off one and a huge jet of oil shoots out of its neck and sprays Jack.

My first thought was that if the oil was red, this cartoon would be banned. My second thought was that Jack was covered in cuts, that oil must burn like gently caress.

That's nothing. The series is riddled with scenes where Jack just wanders into a bar and straight-up goes pro ice on some bug alien. Who then explodes. Robot!

Let's hope the inevitable machine uprising's overlords never get access to old cartoons. They will be so cross.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Jake English?

I'm scared now. :stare:

Yeah, the smile just drained out of my face when I saw that. There's the first clear stamp of English's influence, I guess!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm guessing every one of these new kids will have a name that starts with "J", just to mess with who could be the penpal.

No, the penpal is Jake. He's the one related to Jade, not to mention his fondness for SCRUMS AND SUCH is a dead ringer for what was stated in his letters.

Given his name and that shirt emblem, I'd place good odds that Scratch is responsible for the bunny mailing as well. Got to keep those time loops spinning!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a debaser posted:

I'm looking for it now, but wasn't there a page in Problem Sleuth where it showed all the character's progress in overturning sacred urns toppled and mystic ruins desecrated? I'm trying to find it but I know I just read it in the second volume of the PS book.

The only reason I mention it is because that combined with the Problem sleuth memorabilia covering Jane's wall, combined with Hussie's "hmm, maybe you should be aware of/read jailbreak" right before the EOA hiatus...is this just another throwback or is there potential for a super massive crossover?

It's just another throwback. The urns toppled/ruins desecrated/etc. etc. was mentioned a few times in Homestuck before this point.

e:f;b

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe the way the glitch will manifest itself this time around is that they won't do ectobiology in the new session. So basically the reverse of the situation that happened with the trolls.

The glitch won't manifest this time around, that's the whole point of it in the first place. English only creates the glitch so that a session is unwinnable and necessitates a Scratch. The Scratched universe proceeds smoothly, but English then engineers events so that the players will somehow flub the creation of the next universe and make another, unwinnable session.

Basically, the pattern is glitch-Englishverse-glitch-Englishverse, and so on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

I really hope you're right. :ohdear:

It's not a matter of hoping. That is absolutely, positively, beyond the shadow of a doubt what has happened. If it wasn't, there would be no point to the comic continuing, because it would mean that the cycle restarted hassle-free and Lord English had won.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Hussie is stacking the deck so high on the Jake/LE front that something absolutely ridiculous fakeout is bound to happen.

I'm just clinging to the belief that even if Jake is being manipulated by Scratch and English, he's still a fifteen-year old kid, and unquestioning obedience is generally not their strong suit (which is probably why Jane is being kept in check through a deluge of subliminal messaging).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

thus trapping lord english in an eternal glitch where he keeps appearing and eating the same three universes again unable to escape

You're aware that if this actually happens you'll be locked up in a lab and vivisected to discover the source of your powers of clairvoyance

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

I wonder what John's going to make of the life his Scratched self led? Would he too look forward to becoming a huge cornball and starring in Night Court?

I have no idea how you were able to get to the end of typing this post without it turning into the word YES, over and over.

And it's nice to finally see proof that the Condesce is, in fact, Betty Crocker, since there were some people who still cried "fakeout!" about the issue. Though this isn't likely to stop them anyway so whatever

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And I expect our transition to Bro to be as easily diverted and laborious as our attempts to be Hearts Boxcars.

Hussie's obviously taunting us with that guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Some Lined Paper posted:

I was under the impression she was just surprised by the message.

And she's crossing her eyes a bit at the popup on her forehead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cyrai posted:

Seriously?

No, of course not. It's a ridiculous theory with no strong proof to back it up.

(he's being sarcastic)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So Mom Lalonde is always drunkposting, all the time.

Yes, I believe this is a perfect thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Since Mom seems to type like a pink drunk Dave, I can only come to the amazed/horrified conclusion that Bro is distressingly eloquent in his chats. Remember Complacency of the Learned?

Ponies.

There are some things too dreadful to contemplate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I knew it. He's using Bro to taunt us. Torturing us with our own imaginations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CidGregor posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but saw a chain of tumblr links about it:

Lexxy is currently campaigning a petition against Gaia Online for unlawfully plagarizing Homestuck in the form of purchasable in-game items tat are near-exact copies of the kids' logos and the trolls' horn designs. If you are/were a player of Gaia Online and feel strongly about it, you can find the petition here.

Ahaha, Gaia.

Pretty sure they've been ripping off various anime, games, and comics for their items for ages now. Would be nice to see them taken down a peg, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gizmotinker posted:

It's the "hobbies" part, where he builds crazy dangerous poo poo for others.

That and his habit of making out with two-dimensional (well, more two-dimensional) representations of characters in terrible movies (yes Avatar was terrible I totally went there)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, to hell with Bro. Nobody can care about Bro anymore. Bro's auto-responder has taken up all available care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ograbme posted:

Yesssss more rap dude.

I was going for Spades in Alkinator and one of the questions was "Is your character an excellent host?"

Akinator inspires a creeping dread in me that I can't fully describe.

That loving genie stares at me. Judges me.