Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Just give me an entire sheet of transparent sticker paper with jpeg artifacts on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Triskelli posted:

If Homestuck were translated to a purely audio-visual media the entire story would require massive rewrites, even outside of the pesterlogs, to compensate for the fact that Hussie was largely making things up as he went along. The trolls would be moved forward and foreshadowed earlier, a good chunk of the shennanigans would have to be cut, and I seriously think that the sylladexes should be excised entirely.

While I agree that the pesterlogs would have to be considerably trimmed, I don't think that it should be transformed from a chat relay to some sort of Skype service, if only because the majority of the humor in pesterlogs comes from people missing messages, or rambling on to themselves while their chum is actually doing something. (I.E. "TT: John, I'm about to throw a bathtub through your wall" or "TG: We're under siege by the planet loving Jupiter") Those kinds of dialogs don't happen between people talking face to face or even to people talking on the phone.

Pesterlogs could probably be translated with some sort of quirky floating text popups a la Sherlock, but I think just a straight-up chat log on a computer screen would probably work best in most circumstances. Voiceovers would be a must though, gently caress reading long conversations off of a screen.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There are hats for every B2 kid.

Jake and Dirk aren't there.

Because they're having issues.

Poor Jane.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The fact that dead dream cherubs have pure black eyes instead of white is the slightest bit unnerving.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Are we certain that the retroactive switching of the portals during the Scratch caused the babies to duplicate (with one copy going through the Beta portal and one through the Alpha), or could the Alpha kids wind up running their own ectobiology session to create the Beta kids in one cross-universe double mobius reacharound?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So far, my favorite line from this entire double update is "GT: Roxy do you know if jane just felt that rumbling too??"

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

God Tier outfits that make you look heroic / awesome:

Thief
Maid
Rogue
Seer

God Tier outfits that make you look like a ridiculous jester:

All of the other ones

Maybe Hussie just likes drawing boys in goofy loving clothes.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What if someone has already taken Yaldabaoth's challenge of martyrdom, and that someone was the beta-universe Calliope that became the predominant personality? As a powerful ghost, she'd be able to defeat a world-ending evil despite being dead.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Blackheart posted:

Honestly I think the liveblog stuff is kinda dumb (I don't mind them being mentioned here though) but for some strange reason, I kinda like treestuck.

Re: Undertale talk: I don't mind it being discussed here since Radiation is so closely related to Homestuck, but yeah it would greatly benefit from more exposure. I'm not sure if there's some rule against creating new threads for kickstarter games though? I thought they had to be discussed in the KS megathread until they actually come out but I might be mistaken. Problem is, discussion about the game can become diluted there, and there's quite a bit to discuss about this game. Radiation himself showed up there to answer questions about it, and cool goons like Everdraed already have complimented the game.

I guess i forgot the point I was making? :sbahj:

I think the general rule with Kickstarter games is "ask a mod". I've seen threads for Kickstarters that have nothing going for them but the names attached to the project (like the Camelot Unchained thread), so since Undertale actually has a demo I think there's a good chance it won't be shut down.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The entire point of SBaHJ is self-aware irony. The joke is not that it is a lovely comic, but that it is a deliberately crafted lovely comic. It doesn't matter if the end result looks like it's super low-effort (like most of SBaHJ) or high-effort (like the SBaHJ book cover), it has to look like someone put a tremendous amount of effort into making something look extremely half-assed. These KC Green comics feel like mediocre fan-art, where someone who is only reading the surface text tries to earnestly imitate it without truly understanding the original work.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Only on DeviantArt do you have fan-artists calling the original creator an ART THIEF

https://twitter.com/andrewhussie/status/523588546150821888

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

God Tier resurrection seems to only keep you safe if you're being passive. It'll protect you against random assholes stabbing you in the heart when you're just minding your own business, or falling down a cliff while aimlessly wandering around, but if you're trying to do something big, whether it's good or bad, your death will stick. Thanks for being a game about growing up, Sburb!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Whatever alt-universe Calliope's dooming event was, it must have happened very early: doomed timelines are cut off from extra-universal communication, which would explain why Calliope didn't have any human contact. Maybe Gamzee didn't show up in this one?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Acne Rain posted:

I want to know what Dave imitating Terezi sounds like more than anything now

Do you think Dave has more than one tone of voice?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

subpar anachronism posted:

From the Idiots on Social Media thread:

Do people really use the suits for weird relationship shorthand these days?

No.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you think you're going to want to reread Homestuck at some point, you should probably redownload "The Unofficial Homestuck Collection". (If you weren't aware but are somehow still reading this thread, the Viz conversion from Flash to YouTube screwed up the visuals and broke several links.)

https://twitter.com/Bamboshu/status/1493240813186273281

Does this have a mod that translates trollspeak into something that isn't quite so exhausting to read? I somehow managed to start rereading this and the first page where Terezi starts trolling Rose has ground that to a halt.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think the typing quirks are funny and useful when the trolls are still firmly of the "internet troll" variety and not actual characters we're supposed to care about. Reading their typing has been deliberately made obnoxious, which was fantastic when we were supposed to hate them, but it sticks around even when the narrative wants us to care about them as more than antagonistic jerks. It very quickly turns from a gimmick that makes me hate the character for being difficult to read to one that instead makes me hate the comic itself for being difficult to read.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I hit the point where the trolls become the main characters and I think I am done with my reread. Not just because of the typing quirks, but also because I am now forced to care about twelve additional characters who feel like a distaction from the actual plot.

I distinctly recall asking a friend “who’re these assholes” when I hit this particular spot during my initial readthrough, which she did not answer because she was busy planning her husband’s funeral, but since there are no corpses involved this time I think I will just bail.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

M_Gargantua posted:

They actually touch on that in the second episode, where they talk about the use of "Octoroon" on page 69 in the Colonel Sassacre book. Hussie using it as something the character of 'racist old Sassacre' would have used. They go into how using it as a punchline is problematic. Its not really the punchline though, the punchline is that its a bunch of words and John just doesn't want to deal with reading a giant book right now.

Maybe its the decades of internet poisioning, but I almost find it more acceptable to present caricatures as they are rather then pretend those sort of people don't exist in real life. It is faithful to lived experience and allows us to look back and say "wow those people are trash I'm glad they were an example of what not to do". Even if you recreate them in a modern depiction.

Another thing they bring up is that the rest of the text contextualizes that caricature. The comic is full of casual bigotry, so when Sassacre is casually bigoted but in an old-timey way the joke isn't about the racism, it's about the funny words.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The mention of Trickster Mode made me reread that section and now I am very much looking forward to when Homestuck Made This World gets there.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

You might invoke “death of the author”, but I must point out, that Andrew Hussie is still, in fact, not dead, and is, in fact, alive, and commentary from an author, who is alive, is, in fact, real, so applying strict delineations between what is and is not part of the text is, in fact, “bull poo poo”.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

they (right pronoun nowadays, right?)

According to the credits of Psycholonials, they’re “clowngender” and use “any/all” pronouns, so it’s entirely uncertain both as to what to actually use and also whether or not this is a real thing or if it’s just another sick troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

GunnerJ posted:

I don't know what the bespoke viewer is, but I think there are a quite a few spots where mobile would be tough compared to a desktop/laptop browser. Though now that I think of it, how do people play the interactive Flash portions now?

edit:

Wow holy poo poo, that sucks

There’s a fan-made desktop app called The Unofficial Homestuck Collection that not only contains the entirety of Homestuck, including the Flash bits, but also does its best to replicate the entire experience of reading Homestuck as it came out by showing you older or newer versions of content based on your most recently viewed page. It’s a very faithful recreation, and is the gold standard for Experiencing Homestuck™ in 2024.