Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Hussie's stated before that Act 7 will be an epilogue, so Act 6 will most likely be the climactic finale. Also we should note that saying 6 is not going to be as long as 5 is incredibly slippery, given how long 5 was, and Hussie's plans have certainly outrun him before. (See: majority of the comic up to this point.)

Flash speculation: Jade goes God Tier via her Spriteself, becoming a specimen of anthropomorphic fauna, just as she always dreamed. Recognizing Lord English as a bug (glitch) in the system of Sburb, she eats him and doesn't even care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

As others have proposed, not wanting to make a video implies there's some amount of interactivity -- though not necessarily a walk-around. I think we might be in for fourth-wall breaking shenanigans (natch) that require the flash to play on the actual MSPA site (or simulacrum thereof) for full effect. Hence the resistance to off-site hosting.

Also re: Newgrounds, I think they cap file-sizes, and this one might be too big.

Unrelated and completely insincere speculation: the flash reveals Lord English by hijacking your browser, grabbing your profile picture from Facebook, and inserting you into the Cairo Overcoat.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Pretty sure it's because NOT SPOILING SOMETHING WE ALREADY KNOW BUT SPOILS AN EVENT WHEN PUT IN CONTEXT blue is the characteristic color of the trolls' universe, vs. the kids' universe's red, in the ~.ath code Sollux wrote.

Also, the stuff inside a magic 8 ball is blue, as Vriska well knows.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

So since Dog-Tier Jade is part Bec do you think she has a running inner-monologue of "GOOD ME, BEST SELF"?

It's a helluva way to fix Jadesprite's self-esteem issues.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

saahil92 posted:

Listening to album 8 right now, and I'm thinking that the track Lotus (bloom) seems extremely familiar to me. According to Youtube, its a track from a video game (possibly Legend of Mana?), but I can't seem to find the actual track. If anyone know what i'm talking about, and could link the track, i would be grateful

Well

Radiation, on the last page, in response to a similar claim posted:

As someone that has listened to FF6/FF4's soundtrack countless times AND someone that is on the music team, I have to say that any accusations that Lotus (Bloom) is anything but a reference to itself are utter hogwash. Quality control? Seriously? Beatfox's composition and production are in many respects leaps and bounds above the rest of the team. You don't have to like the song, but saying something is a "barely remixed carbon copy" with nothing to back it up just comes off as antagonistic.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

For anyone not on Tumblr or who hasn't subscribed to Hussie's yet, he put up the first part of a write-up about the EoA5 flash-making process.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

One possibility I've been kicking around is that Sburb was a sovereign entity, but through its multiple permutations and paradoxes an incrementally developed systemic glitch (LE and/or the Green Sun) coopted it. The Troll/Kid sessions are the glitch's masterstroke, cementing the stranglehold on causality, but presumably what we've just seen has also laid the grounds for Sburb/the system/whatever's counterattack.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I hope it turns out that Scratched Earth is where we all actually live, thus explaining why the world failed to end back in April of 2009.

Also if throughout history we've been socially engineered to be as ruthless and bloodthirsty as possible by a cueball puppet man who lives on the moon, it easily explains why we keep having all these wars.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

President Ark posted:

I would be unironically furious if this turned out to be the case, because it'd be the most predictable, cliched plot twist imaginable.

Some of us are just optimistic existentialists who want there to be a comprehensible reason as to why the entire human race is held in thrall to that giant psychic octopus the UN keeps in the Mariana Trench.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Exactly. Like Starmaker points out, Lord English has, by definition, already won. So beating Lord English is likely going to involve breaking a few definitions.

This.

It's helpful if you consider how heavily Homestuck relies on gaming metaphors and symbolism. The Sims, Earthbound, chess, card games, billiards. A very open definition of a game is that it's a set of rewards and/or punishments that arise from the interactions of arbitrary (meaning beyond dispute) and inelastic rules.

Except somehow LE's managed to make up his own game, and the only rule is "I win." He's a god-moder.

What do we do with god-moders? We kick them out of the game, or stop playing altogether.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Boogaleeboo posted:

Why do you assume entropy isn't a natural part of the process? As has been said [By a biased source that manipulated the hell out of people] English may be far more evil than Jack, but he's a known quantity that reality knows how to deal with. Jack is broken, outside the bounds of what reality knows how to deal with. In the grander scheme of things, Jack is 'more destructive' than English.

As the game is "reality", not playing doesn't seem to be a viable option. Even things like 'god-tier' are game constructs. Rose tried to play the "Lets pull the game apart and stop playing!" card, and that didn't end well for her now did it? Why do you assume the kids would 'win' against English in the end?

Well I am pretty unhappy with how LE and his cohorts treat women, and if there's a way reality can propagate and decline without enslaving and degrading ladies from across time and space then I would be all for it!

e: I admit it. I'm a hater. It's hard out there for a reality devouring pimp.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

That'll be fine though, since Lord English will have turned out to be Harry Anderson and John always wanted to learn from the best magician ever.

"JOHN. JOHN, MY BOY. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE HOW TO MAKE AN ENTIRE UNIVERSE... DISAPPEAR?"

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

loquacius posted:

If SBaHJ's universe was created in a game of Sburb someone seriously hosed up their frog breeding.

Running a genesis tadpole through some hot lava = heavy artifacting???

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Waffnuffly posted:

This seems awfully likely, actually. In fact, VW's drawing of Jade's planet has always shown the volcano EXPLODING MEGA-HUGE-LIKE, which it hasn't done yet. Maybe the tadpole is supposed to fall into the lava, warm up and grow, then get launched into Skaia by the volcano when it erupts, which is how the frog gets to the Skaia pond thing we saw in the Troll session (before Jack hosed it all up). In the mean time, the kids would theoretically be preparing the Skaia pond and protecting it from meteors and stuff.

At the risk of sounding crude, this also fits with the symbolism of the larger creation story, with Skaia being the ovum and the genesis tadpole being a spermatozoon ejected into it.

This is incredibly silly.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Instead of yelling and Vriskachat, and to try to fill up some time until the next updates come, let's try interspersing constructive speculation with a dumb good-times-and-feelings thought game.

If you haven't noticed, we've been through a lot! This Homestuck thing is a lot of pages long! And obviously 10/25 and the end of Act 5 were pretty important and monumental in the lifetime of the comic, so let's say if MSPA was over right now, that this was in fact the end, what was the highlight for you?

RULES: A character, a conversation, a plot device, a one-off joke, the way a recurring gag mutated, whatever. This could be anything. If Homestuck never updated again, what is the bit about it you'll remember most strongly, most fondly, and why?

HARD MODE RULES: You can't pick an [S] page!

It's only fair that I start this off. So, Rose! When the POV switched to Rose I thought for the first time, "Gee, I might end up liking this better than Problem Sleuth."

I find Rose incredibly amusing, probably because, without being overly embarrassing or cringe-inducing, she reminds me a lot of myself when I was an overly prolix 13-year-old on the internet. Plus, her interactions with Mom were comic gold, and there's something about their swanky Frank Lloyd Wright house being filled with gaudy wizard tchotchkes that absolutely slays me. I know some folks were bored by her when she started keeping secrets, but I've been interested in her arc all the way through. I am mildly curious as to why, when she revived as her Dreamself, she didn't offer thoughts on having been grimdark, though, since it's still unclear what happened there.

But oh well, I guess we'll never know, since Homestuck is over forever!

(You don't have to keep up this silly pretense but please, see this as an opportunity to reflect positively on the story so far. My friends and I have discovered that there's so much stuff to this comic that it's always fun to find out which parts people favor particularly.)

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 30, 2011

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Eiba posted:

So what's the alternative, introduce the beginning? "It's about a kid trying to check his mail, but he's got a crazy videogame inventory system and he keeps loving up."

You and I, and others who read without knowing anything, may have appreciated the holy-crap quality of the stakes going up and the scale exponentially increasing as we followed the story, but if you're talking to someone who would be interested in that kind of crazy over the top stuff, but wouldn't be sold by what the story appears to be at first, you've got to spoil it a bit to get them interested.

My method of introduction has always been "A group of kids sequence-break a Sims-like game that manipulates reality and thus find themselves trapped in an apocalyptic Earthbound pastiche."

References to the source material carry a lot of weight with some people.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I've been ready for this ever since Scratch took off his jacket back during the [o] ==> updates.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Re: English and the Horrorterrors.

Scratch also used a Horrorterror to manipulate Troll society for eons. Maybe Gl'bgolyb was essentially enslaved? I mean, Gl'bgolyb is referred to as a "she" so it's fits English's MO in that respect, at least.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Seoinin posted:

Mostly I'm just worried that there's going to be an auxiliary Doc Scratch for this universe and we're going to have to keep putting up with that shithead.

That shot of the sun all whited out looked an awful lot like a cueball, huh.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

System Pelican posted:

a brand new chat gimmick, somehow surpassing all the previous ones in sheer annoyingness.

All inverted Daedric script, all the time.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Let's throw some impossible, groundless speculation on this roaring bonfire and maybe burn off our eyebrows.

We know that, in theory, successful players of Sburb create new universes and are then allowed to enter them and rebuild their civilization while living like "gods."

How does this happen? Perhaps... perhaps they have Exile-like command terminals???

(Before we get started on it, I know, this raises more questions, like the nature of the Troll session that created this Scratched Earth, and how it relates to the Troll Ancestors we know who were said to have failed by a man who never lies except when he does. But, well, it's a thought!)

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

quote:

how you'd give your RIGHT LEG for a shot at desecrating THE poo poo out of some real life MYSTIC RUINS for their byzantine wares

This has to be a red herring. There is just no way that J becomes LE so he can forever plunder the most mystical ruins of all: dead universes.

But seriously this is a pretty good outta-left-field moment.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

The questionable shape on Jake's sheets might be Aradia's ill-fated Lusus.

Or hell maybe it's Falcor, but I don't think he had legs.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

Even though I want to see the other kids and whether or not this DAD is just Dad, or Karkat's Lusus with a fedora and pipe, I kind of hope we get at least one Jane: "Visit https://www.mspaintadventures.com" type of page to see some Problem Sleuth 2.

And we will discover that post-scratch, MSPaint Adventures is made by none other than Mr. Ryan North, necessitating another author-avatar smackdown to regain control of the comic.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm going to assume she was drunk when she typed that. I'm also going to assume she's drunk always.

Scratched Mom is Ke$ha and $/s in addition to txtspeak is her typing quirk.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Well, Nannasprite was vague about Dad's origin when she discussed her past with fedorafreak, and of course there are some hints as to what might happen in the current act:

Nannasprite posted:

pipefan413: She considered a reunion with her estranged brother, and once destined husband to be. But the days of longing for a future with him seemed to be from another lifetime. The chance had come and gone. She was content to let him live his increasingly elaborate life, while she sought a simpler one.
pipefan413: Besides, now was not the time to revisit a destiny with an old star-crossed lover. She had recently become betrothed to a fine, upstanding gentleman. Soon, she would start a family. No, not one meant for heroism as foretold, but one that would make her happy nonetheless.
pipefan413: In following years, she was left to ponder all that might have been.
pipefan413: What might have been if there had been no baroness to keep the girl and boy apart?
pipefan413: What might have been if the baroness had not disappeared, and she had the opportunity to use her secrets against her!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Chic Trombone posted:

Oh my god, you guys.

The new Mom and Bro haven't even been revealed yet and there's already a loving ask blog. Turnaround time on this poo poo is getting ridiculous.

This absolutely fits with my earlier desire for post-scratch Mom to be Ke$ha and now I am scared that this is what "headcanon" feels like.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Hussie is stacking the deck so high on the Jake/LE front that something absolutely ridiculous fakeout is bound to happen.

Also I love how the four original kids all had basically recognizable internet typing styles and Jane and Jake are just loving off-the-wall.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Hey so here's a thing:

Botherlog posted:

GG: So if I have this straight, the big thing hogging up your plate today is not this marvelous new game which I have invited you to play with me, but finishing a robotic rabbit to give to my dead poppop?
GT: Bingo. *double pistols and a wink*
GG: You are a very strange and silly boy.
GT: Please jane we have addressed this.
GT: I am sending the gift back in time to when they are both alive and about our age.
GT: Or...
GT: Something like that. Something funny is going on here that i have not fully grappled yet but dag nab it if im not gonna see it through.

It's interesting that Jake thinks he's sending the gift back in time only, rather than back in time and across universes. Obviously he's being fed information, but not very clearly. And he's said his arm was twisted in his letter -- plus, as it was put in the recap, "The gift was the pen pal's idea, and he himself was coerced into the plan by someone else." HMMMM.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

President Ark posted:

Half-dead.

Which means we only need a Hero of Do or a Hero of om.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

You're right. The fact that the trolls are now physically grouped up with two of the four human main characters is indicative that they're not going to have any more role to play in the story. Clearly what's going to happen when the rest of the trolls arrive at the Green Sun where Aradia and Sollux are already hanging out with the Dersekids is that Dave will just go "welp peace out y'all" and they're going to leave the trolls sitting there staring at the Green Sun for the rest of time while they head back to earth.

After the ripsnorting Troll-less adventure that is Act 6, Act 7 will be an epilogue of a single panel showing all the remaining Trolls still hanging out in front of the Green Sun with Karkat saying "WELL THIS HAS PROVED TO BE A loving COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME."

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

annatar posted:

Uranian is a extraordinarily loaded term that can mean someone from Uranus (therefore a generic alien) or a very archaic term for a transexual http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranian

Yeah, and since trolls don't have binary biological sexes in the way we understand them, only apparent gender preferences, it's totally possible that pre-Scratch Karkat identified as a very nice and supportive girl.

Although this sounds incredibly like fanfiction so I'm going to stop now.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Oh also I don't remember if this was mentioned but the last few things uU says imply the Sassacre book in Jane's possession is in fact the one from the pre-Scratch kid session, with Nanna's inscription.

(It might not be, the reference to her handwriting could mean something else, but it's there.)

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Pleasant Friend posted:

(Though, Void power already seemed tactically useless for the most part, how much more useless would it be it if just stopped friends from seeing you…)

I don't think it's tactically useless, it was just the property of Equius (who didn't seem to know he had it) and Darkleer (who, if he knew about it, didn't use it except to be alone and sob about his exile). We saw how Mindfang used it to circumvent Scratch for thousands of years, and and if the power now resides in someone planning to make good on it, well.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

It's a small thing, but Jane apparently has several extra false mustaches of varying styles just lying around. :allears:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

There are many reasons to believe that she does; and they're not related. Genetically they're John and Jade's parents. They're paradox clones of themselves, and the ectobiology machinery made John and Jade by mixing them. (That was, of course, in the pre-scratch session, but what we've seen so far strongly suggests that these guys somehow arrived on the same meteors from the old session rather than having been created at some point in their own upcoming session.)

And don't forget that Nannasprite said she and Grandpa were meant to be together in some cosmically destined romance that pre-scratch Betty Crocker fouled up by driving Li'l Grandpa away.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Though I parsed the line correctly, I like this alternative model wherein Bro and Jake are each fighting to be the bigger space furry.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I just realized that UU isn't pestering or bothering. She's cheering. :3:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Not to divert us from serious issues, but as we were all recently made aware of the Pony Pals series, I couldn't resist researching the franchise further.

It turns out all of them have hilarious titles and cover art, so I made something completely nonsensical approximating MSPA fanwork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjIwN95qoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Well, it being November now, at least that fireplace is somewhat seasonally appropriate.