Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Dolash posted:

trapped in a self-made family hell forever.

Hence the title!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I can only hope this means we will get PipeDad and CrabDad team-ups in the future.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

I can't wait for Jake to encounter a giant, rampaging Tinkerbull.

"Later you also shot an adorable two-mouthed wildcat."

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

Also, with the lusus-things actually being a thing in this universe's earth, it kinda confirms that there exists a blood spectrum. At least for the FAUNA.

Bro is always taking showers because he's actually an aquatic highblood.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Pastrymancy posted:

and a herd of Aurthours.

Is the Jurassic Park theme playing in anyone else's head right now

e: also yes that forge looks hella lit.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't recall Andrew implying that he was going to rewrite the story for the book version, and frankly that sounds like a more gigantic undertaking than can reasonably be expected.

He said on formspring that the webcomic was essentially an unedited rough draft, and the books would be edited. Not sure what that means, but yeah, likely doesn't mean extensive rewriting.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

A family tradition, honored.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

List of Homestuck, Book 1 changes from the rough draft:

-Fixed a widespread continuity error where Zoosmell was referred to as "John"
-For reasons of space, and in concern for length of future volumes, Zoosmell is now the only character
-Except Vriska

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

In general I'm pretty skeptical of the feasibility of a start-over-from-scratch (heh) narrative turn like this, and there's no telling if it'll work in the end. Still, speaking as someone who read through the initial WV updates/Intermission/Hivebent live, I'm now pretty willing to accept Homestuck as a story of myriad digressions.

That said, what this particular digression has going for it is this:

Nate RFB posted:

Also we pretty much know and understand the significance of what's happening now, which wasn't necessarily apparent in Hivebent until the very end.

Act 6 has made it pretty clear that while we've "started over" in one sense, the forces we were dealing with before have some continuity -- the Troll Empire still has a presence, apparently, English is lurking somewhere, and so on. Smaller things, like Jack, have been sidelined for the moment as we set the stage for a broader final conflict.

While in eg, Hivebent, which had a lot of complaints, it wasn't at all clear what we were running up to, here we know we're gearing up for the end. Might as well enjoy some zany chatlogs while we anticipate.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I, for one, love all twelve of the little alien children with highly individualized personality disorders.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Hey, check out the sound credits page for some choice info on the latest [S].

the sound credits page posted:

Page 6175 - Sick Bleats
:allears:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

I just want to see Karkat break the news that Vriska's dead to John. :colbert:

"JOHN I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY THIS BUT... SHE'S DEAD. VRISKA'S DEAD."
"wait, which one was that again?"
"WHAT?"
"seriously, there's so goddamn many of you I just stopped paying attention halfway through your introductions."
"SHE WAS THE FAT ONE."
"ooooh. right."

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

LONG JAUNT, JOHN! LONGER THAN YOU THINK!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

If the time-dilation thing is really bothering you, you can just tell yourself this is a relativistic effect occurring in a place categorically different from that of observed space-time. I mean we already have a menagerie of universes suspended in a medium which almost by definition resists all consistent spatial and chronological flow, who's to say jumping from one narrative to another through Andrew Hussie's house doesn't have a similar thing going.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

dumb brunette posted:

it's hard to tell which is witch.

Fixed this for you.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Jack Noir: looking for love in all the wrong places, across all times and spaces.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Aradia travels back in time and herds all the trolls' dreamselves into their respective mooncrypts before violently slaughtering each and every one of them. With her dying breath Nepeta gasps: "Why? Why did you do this, Aradia?"

The Maid of Time, her visage grim, replies: "I listened to the voices. And the voices told me Hussie needs to shovel more merch."

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Doc Uzuki posted:

Someone captchalogued it to be used in future prototyping and/or alchemizing. Get ready for Vriskasprite!

Imagine a version of Ocarina of Time where Navi gets fed up with you and flies off to beat the game herself.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

It does, however, seem to have an impeccable grasp on how the Homestuck characters work.

Which I guess is pretty appropriate because most of their personalities couldn't touch reality with a long pole.

Yeah, I think the charming thing about Promstuck is that it takes the not-at-all-realistic but highly individualized personalities of the Homestuck characters and places them in a sendup of/homage to the not-at-all-realistic conventions of emotionally overwrought teen romantic comedy movies.

On actual Homestuckchat: all the Green Sun characters are in fact evil, next update will be Jade saying "Of course you can ask them... BECAUSE THEY'RE ALREADY HERE" and Dave takes off his glasses to reveal rapidly alternating billiard balls and no wait that would be stupid.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I like to believe the kids are so socially crippled by chat clients that they are speaking their emoticons aloud.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Don't the trolls still have the computers downstairs and the computers in the kids' houses on the planets should still be around. Did I forget something or couldn't they still talk online?

Not after SOPA passes. :downsrim:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Walliard posted:

John and Jade got the same badge (crocodile instead of iguana). It's probably because those consorts are more known for being chatty.

Nice try, but by using the consorts of the male characters Hussie has inadvertently revealed the misogyny at the heart of Homestuck! Just gimme a moment to write a tumblr post about it.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

The final twist in Homestuck will be when it's revealed everything has been told from Karkat's point-of-view and this entire thing has actually been a rather undramatic affair, as far as saving existence goes.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Considering how last we saw he was heading in the opposite direction of PM, it's possible but not likely.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

greet

So what're the odds the flashy new beginning is the effect of yet another way of reaching godtier? Just how badly can these kids sequence break their game?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Chunky12345 posted:

Sorry, but it's impossible to take his voice seriously.

I have kind of this same problem, even though I also seem to like unique voices (I like most of the artists HelloIAmYourHeart mentioned). It might have something to do that no matter what he is singing I can't dissociate his voice from my first experience of it, the intentionally terrible cover of How Do I Live.

Edit: Also, quite a few of his songs give me the uncanny impression of a children's educational science show doing Rush style parodies to teach you about astronomy. Which has its merits, but it's not what I wanna listen to on long drives.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 1, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

A new and terrifying form of Vriskachat, wherein we just observe narrative facts about her.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Miracon posted:

Cats can very much be smug, condescending jerks. Cat Scratch.

Oh holy hell. God have mercy on us all if this comes true.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

An album of 50 Space Jam theme mash-ups.

Bonus track: Bowman covers the Space Jam theme.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Princess Di Stri.

I am scared to search tumblr for this.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Not only is it a real book, it's part of a series.

EDIT: unrelated and off-topic addendum. Man, remember when 12-year-olds were expected to read stuff like this instead of Twilight or Hunger Games or whatever?

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 11, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I was gonna post the original L'il Cal comics but I was beaten. Hussie seems to have suffered from a bout of what they call "hipster racism" -- admittedly he's moved away from that a bit, as the most egregious examples are confined to his older material.

Meanwhile, I'm just gonna leave this here.

quote:

As fans, sometimes we need to remember that the things we like don’t define our worth as people. So there’s no need to defend them from every single criticism or pretend they are perfect. Really loving something means seeing it as it really is, not as you wish it were. You can still be a good fan while acknowledging the problematic elements of the things you love. In fact, that’s the only way to be a good fan of problematic things.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

You speak too soon.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

The problem, again, is that despite Hussie's original intent he's gradually let this stuff get pinned down, just like Rose/Dave originally had indeterminate nonblack hair color that could very well have been anime blue but eventually got defined as natural blonde. He could have picked a more neutral background color, but the fact remains that John's original sprite is background-colored. Unfortunately this visual nuance gets lost as the rest of the world gets colored in, and John goes from being colorless to distinctly white.

This is really the thing. In, say, Problem Sleuth, it wasn't so much of an issue because everyone was literally a stick figure. They could be "aracial" insofar as they were all (game) abstractions prior to being characters, as evidenced by their names. (The sole exception, I guess, might be Fiesta Ace Dick? Who became a parody of a stereotype, I guess?) There's a way in which the PS characters can go without race, anyway, because in a vague way they aren't even human.

This is why I partially buy Hussie's idea of his initial "aracial" conception -- if he could do it in the previous Adventure, why not this one? Well, because the character of these characters superseded their abstraction. They're not stick figures, and they have names, and most of all, they're recognizably human. The level of verisimilitude is upped, and even if they all begin as little abstractions, the depth, complexity, and length of Homestuck has assured that all of the signifiers Andrew intended to "float" have instead been collectively quilted with implicit racial identities.

EDIT: In retrospect the best way to have handled this, if Andrew wanted the kids to be "aracial", is to make it both explicit and a running joke. Make the kids and the narrator consistently evasive about their race in obvious or absurd ways -- what he seems to want, retroactively, with the scrambled "white" reference to Bro. Think of the way Springfield in The Simpsons is geographically everywhere and nowhere in the US, and it's constantly pointed out. Of course it's a lot easier to do this with place rather than with race, but anyway: this whole episode demonstrates why trying to keep issues of race "open" by just not addressing them is not the best plan.

EDIT 2 \/\/\/: Yeah, the Trolls actually fill out my above suggestion fairly well. The hemospectrum is their basis for racial construction (blood as opposed to skin color) and it's constantly treated as ridiculous bullshit.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 17, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Commutator posted:

People keep bringing up Troll Romance like it was some kind of incident. Is there some story behind this that I'm not aware of? I thought the joke was just that it's a ridiculous way for a society to be structured and an affectionate parody of shippers' obsession with pairing off characters in weird ways.

Same with the Attic I guess, anyone care to explain that?

Short version: during Hivebound people were getting antsy because the story wasn't moving along very briskly and instead of finding out about all the cliffhangers we left the kids on we were learning about these 12 alien dumbasses, and also their completely stupid romance system what the hell Hussie? Hey why are you even bringing romance into this comic canonically anyway this is terrible you have ruined Homestuck forever!!!!!

This necessitated Andrew stepping in (with the Attic interlude) to say hold on to your loving horses folks because this is my story and I'm telling it at the pace I want with the elements I want.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Antediluvian also has connotative connections with Dirk's bizarre fascination with showers.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Step back and think for a moment, assuming this isn't a fakeout, that we've been waiting to see this cat die for almost three years.

This is it. We're doing it.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Welp, time for this computer to explode so we can get to Act 6 Intermission 2.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

Which reminds me: we have no idea if the new kids play any instruments yet. :( I really hope they do.

I'm also really curious as to what the significance of the instruments will ultimately be. We already saw some strange organ/keyboard thing in beta John's memories.

We saw Jane play the piano in the intro flash for Act 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Bell_ posted:

Maybe it's the other way around, and when she goes into exile it won't be to the future but the past :tinfoil:

Even better: if she has the Handmaid's LE-granted time powers it doesn't matter to when she gets exiled.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 17, 2012