Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity
He's gonna be pretty upset, for sure. Karkat laid it out on the line for him and made him admit if he had feelings for vriska, and he said he did. Then Karkat said he wouldn't tell him yet because he needed him to be able to think straight.

At least I hope he gets upset, because I am far too emotionally invested in the relationship between those 2 characters. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity
Which is a paradox that would unmake their existence in the beta timeline, thus dooming beta Vriska to death, by never having been conceived in the first place.

wait, edit, because I'm not actually sure about that.

Okay, I *was* thinking if Jack is destroyed by beta Vriska > No jack means no attack on the troll's incipisphere > which means the trolls never interact with the kids > which means no Bec, no prototyping of Jack Noir, and consequently no Jack Noir to beat in the first place. So yeah, it's a reality destroying paradox, because it's not a stable time loop.

But obviously Vriska attack Jack takes place after he's attacked the troll's incipisphere, so I was completely wrong. Post retracted.

Memphis Raines fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 29, 2011

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity

King of Solomon posted:

EDIT: It's possible to argue that Felt Beta Dave only exists because he looped back into the alpha to die, but I don't think that's the case. It seems that beta timelines just spawn whenever someone makes the wrong choice and occasionally someone loops back, but most of the time everyone just dies.

gently caress. You're right.

I'm pretty sure that's right, there are plenty of Daves running around in the Alpha timeline that exist in stable timeloops where there's no choices being made. I remember Terezi explaining that making a choice and defying things is when dead Daves start piling up. We know that anything from a Beta timeline is inherently doomed, such as were Beta felt Dave was killed by Jack, or where future Dave becomes Davesprite because sprites will only prototype with Doomed/Dead/Inanimate things, or at least prefer to.

Time Travel doesn't always make you a beta and therefore kill you, neither do choices, but where the opposite result of a choice loops back into the alpha timeline it's doomed to death as a beta.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity

Alectai posted:

If you're going by that perspective, then the Trolls are doomed to fail, because they're just riding an asteroid in, propelled by one of their friends (Who was already dying pretty loving fast from the strain, and would in no way manage to push the silly thing far enough and fast enough unless the route itself was pretty short as long as you had the beacon)

I think he put in Sollux's ancestor to do give us the opposite impression, at least. With his powers the Helmsman is able to propel the battleship condesce at several thousand times light speed, far enough that traveling at light speed, it takes the Condesce 600+ years to get back to Alternia after one journey.

e:syntax is difficult.

VVV Me too. :(

Memphis Raines fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 29, 2011

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity
Man I really wish Hussie would have give some exposition about how time travel works inside sburb; I can think of things like Steins;gate where it was explained solidly, using the idea of the alpha and beta timelines running parallel, and offshoot timelines being tiny fibres that make up the overall rope of the alpha timeline, unless they manage to affect things that the line is more than 1% different overall, by which they cross the divergence percentage barrier and end up in the Beta timeline, which ultimately has a different outcome.

That was simple.

Homestuck makes me want to take my brain out with an icepick.