Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was legitimately uncertain at times during this hiatus that things would ever get underway again.

The skepticism may be unwarranted, but I still wonder if Hussie has it in him to successfully conclude this massive comic undertaking he has going here. Guess we'll get a hint of it next week.

Edit: I never realized that Aradia went god-tier with her real-self dead just by having her dream-self die on her quest bed. Kind of important, considering both Derse kids are in the same situation now, although who knows how Aradia's ghost deal influenced that.

Also,

ChaosTheory posted:

I should have known that I would never get a straight answer about this.

You're asking for a synopsis of what covers roughly half of the entire story by volume and three quarters of the characters. Whole cosmologies have been built up and torn down since the trolls showed up. People might be able to give you a hand, but this is exactly NOT the sort of series where you can just jump in half way and expect to be able to follow what's going on in any meaningful way. If there is such a synopsis, I'd be damned impressed by it.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think a bubble breakout might happen (they creep me out but more importantly they just don't seem like "final resting place" territory), but probably not yet. We still might lose a troll or two, and if there's a breakout it's basically got to be the last big life/death mix-up before the end since we don't want to have to introduce and consider some new afterlife system. Kind of like how after the last big breakout from death in Problem Sleuth they stopped happening.

My guess is it'll happen as part of the ramp-up toward fighting Lord English himself. Someone, possibly Aradia, will come up with a way to retrieve the dead players to help in the final battle, but it's anyone's guess if after that they move on to their final resting places or actually come back to life.

It's also a really good chance for everyone to work out their issues, particularly fairly two-dimensional characters whose arcs ended in failure (like Nepeta, Equius, Tavros).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I always figured the dream bubble breakout theory was less about "boy, I sure like [troll] and I hope we can get more [troll]!" and more about how the four kids and twelve trolls collectively sort of came to represent the full set of players. Having them all at last united and fighting side by side against the biggest of big bad guys right at the end would feel right, in a real pose-as-a-team-because-poo poo-just-got-real way.

Not to mention it also allows a chance to tie up arcs, give characters proper sendoffs, resolve personal conflicts, see everyone at their maximum fighting potential, and just generally take all the strong characters we've seen built up have their last chance to totally explode. Homestuck is often a series about build-up, and having as many characters and forces applied to the grand conclusion (much as it was in Problem Sleuth) will only make the payoff all the greater.

I'd only think it perhaps a little too tidy if all of those conclusions were overwhelmingly positive. If everyone came back to life for good, worked out all their personal drama, sorted their relationships, and generally entered the new universe with arms linked and smiles on their faces, then yeah, a little forced. If the dead and the living have a last chance to say goodbye and bury the hatchet before the very end, on the other hand, that feels a little more satisfying.

Besides, there's just no way those dream bubbles are permanent. Something's going to happen with them, this is just one theory.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^So excited!

marsattacks posted:

Yeah, it's not on the announcements section of the site, and I feel like Hussie usually tells us when there's going to be a hiatus?

Also that would just be cruel.

Seriously the guy's just joking.

We've been so long without regular updates that it's kind of weird to think that tomorrow is meant to be the resumption of Homestuck, not just the singular event of the flash. Just imagine the mood-whiplash if we got the awesome update and then next day "Yeah sorry hiatus 2.0 comin' thru"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yup.

UPDATE.

Jade's dead for reals.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

FFFFFFFF-

I got past the preloader in the newgrounds download, got the play button to appear, clicked it...

Then got the above image.

I can't afford to stay up so late! I need to sleep! I needed to sleep an hour ago!

BUT MUST SEE FLASH.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Goddamn I know if I just go to sleep it'll be accessible by morning.

BUT I CAN'T

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Still don't understand why Bec Noir exiled himself, don't know why he knew that'd take him to earth, don't know why he killed all the exiles (well okay besides he likes killing folks), don't know why he knew which device would take him to the troll session, don't know why he used it to go to the troll session and destroy everything there.

Basically, I can see what happened, and I know it had to happen, but I don't know why it happened.

Oh, and PM dragging WV's corpse with her is going to be relevant some how. Maybe... taking Jack's ring and putting it on him will bring him back to life? Maybe something else will? It seems odd she brought the corpse with her if it's not going to serve some sort of purpose.

At least the White King and White Queen were together again for a moment.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's calling back to when beta-jack teleported to Vriska with Karkat and Terezi in tow.
Fake edit: Are we still spoiling or is it assumed that we can talk freely

I know it's calling back to that, I mean what's going to come of it? Is it just a visual callback and his corpse will be disintegrated the moment Jack hops up his green lightning?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't really take the time to say it earlier since I was busy being overwhelmed and then trying to sort out what happened, but this is one of the best looking things on the internet I've ever seen. Just as an experience, after the years of build-up of reading Homestuck (and, I suppose, Problem Sleuth and the other Hussie-works before that, and even maybe all the games and content referenced in said works), this flash was something else. Beyond reckoning, a total surprise, completely blew expectations out of the water.

I remember telling people not to get so hyped up, that there was no reason to think the flash was that much bigger than any other, that the time on hiatus hadn't all gone into its production. I remember thinking there was just no practical way that all the loose threads could be tied up.

Now look at it. Just about everyone is at full power, converging on a single point. All lesser mysteries solved or sidelined, all small players and whole universes destroyed, the entire of reality shorn down just a few heroes and the main villain. Snowman's dead. Spades Slick is dead. The exiles (except for PM) are dead. The guardians are dead. The worlds and everything on them are pocket sized. Prospit and Derse are gone.

All that's left is the green sun, Bec Noir, PM, Aradia, the kids, Sollux, Gamzee, Terezi, Kanaya, and Karkat. Time for the boss battle rumble.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

King of Solomon posted:

That is a pretty silly thing to think.

I figured it was less to do with "touching the green sun makes you evil!" and more with "it's visual symbolism, a cue that suggests Lord English has infused them".

But can I say the death that surprised me most in the flash was Spades Slick's? I get that Snowman was ready to die since dying to inaugurate the end of the universe was sort of the deal she struck with Doc Scratch, but what possible reason did Spades Slick have for suicide by universe?

I mean, Noir in any universe is tough to kill, so maybe he somehow escaped (nobody's dead until you see the body! And sometimes not even then) and will come back to help fight Lord English.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ominous Jazz posted:

He really doesn't like Snowman. They aren't good friends, so he shot her.

Yeah, but we clearly saw in the intermission that he knew that shooting her would end the universe and that he therefore wouldn't shoot her when he had the chance.

What's changed? Because if he doesn't do it, Scratch will kill him? Because he's tired of going on? Just because? He's not really a huge character or anything but it'd be nice to get some sense of why he did what he did and what significance it had.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Thundarr posted:

Honestly I never even noticed the supposedly smug smile when I first watched it. I'm just presuming Aradia is going to have a heel turn because of the whole Handmaid thing, which wasn't introduced for no reason at all. Also since the Aradia chilling out by the Green Sun has basically been under Lord English's control for the entire lifetime of the troll universe at this point, it seems pretty unlikely that she'll suddenly say "Psyche! I was just playing possum for all this time!"

As for people saying Dave and Rose are under LE's control too, I have no idea what they're on about.

Again, it's mostly just a visual cues thing. A lot's happened and we haven't had a chance to hear anyone speak. Lots of cosmic transformations and powers are rolling around, predestination might finally be done for, lots of questions really.

Previous to this, Aradia knew a lot about what had to happen and what couldn't be avoided. She 'served' Lord English in the sense that she knew she could not deviate from the destiny that would bring him into being. We just plain don't have a frame of reference to understand an Aradia free of this fatalistic objective, but things like the Handmaiden suggest she might continue to serve Lord English even now that she's not 'destined' to.

As for Dave and Rose, they've always been the darker pair, and emerging from the green sun is just powerful imagery. If their rebirth as god tiers caused them to be in some manner corrupted or controlled by Lord English, it might be in keeping with their themes. Not to mention that Jade and John having to fight Dave and Rose, while possibly a little cliche, could make for a pretty awesome clash of titans.

I don't think anyone being on Lord English's side is likely, but until we see a few more scenes and hear some chatter it's a live possibility.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So, be honest...

Who's started checking the site regularly for updates since the flash?

I don't even know if I expect to find any it's just sort of a reflex.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

President Ark posted:

While you're waiting for an update, Andrew posted part 4 of the flash recap-explanation-thing on his blog.

Oh man, this guy knows how to keep speculation fires burning.

"We also can’t be sure that’s all there is to this method. Is it a simple matter of dying on the bed, or is more required? In the only two examples we have of this, Aradia and Dave+Rose, they die spectacularly in an explosion of green fire. Is that among the requirements? This is inconclusive.

"Also, god tier Aradia, Dave, and Rose were all unharmed by the fire during the resurrection process. Dave and Rose’s case was so extreme, they actually emerged from the core of a sun. Does the transformation method itself protect them, until complete? Or is it just the simple matter that upon transforming, they are now immortal, and dying in the very explosion leading to their ascension would count as neither just nor heroic? You may speculate."

Really leaves the door open for people wondering if Lord English might have a handle on Aradia, Dave, and Rose. I mean, it's just a narrative possibility, a door not yet closed, but he's at least acknowledging that this is a totally different way of going God-Tier that involves being baptised in the fires of Lord English.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

President Ark posted:

I would be unironically furious if this turned out to be the case, because it'd be the most predictable, cliched plot twist imaginable.

You might want to get ready to be at least a little furious, since I'm willing to put down cash money that the story's going to end with the kids living Happily Ever After on Earth. Not entirely sure how they make it to Earth, but it'll happen. John's a hero, and heroes save the Earth. It's simple science.

Also, why does everyone think there's going to be a reset sessions? That universe in its entirety died when Bec Noir killed Billious Slick in the troll session, didn't he? I know the Scratch was supposed to reset it, but in my mind that was like pressing the reset button on your game console while what Bec Noir did was more like jam a sword through the top of it.

Now, the new universe Jade made, that might be okay since I think it mentioned somewhere the genesis frog had to go into the volcano, but surely Scratched Earth is gone?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Starmaker posted:

This is exactly what I was saying earlier. Story-wise, everything seems to be going full-tilt into a new universe. Also, that note J sent? That is totally Grandpa. I mean, come on, fistifuffs?

My god, I never realized that Grandpa - had he been born much earlier - would sound exactly like J, and that Jade would be his grandmother if they had switched places! Somehow this fits so well it simply must be true.

Starmaker posted:

e: it just occurred to me that we're going to have to put up with Grandpa/Mom and Bro/Nanna shipping now.

Psh. More like Grandpa/Nanna and Mom/Bro shipping!

Edit: Hold on, if the ectobiology of the reset session was set so that John, Rose, Dave, and Jade are the 'parents' and Nanna and Grandpa are the ecto-kids of John and Jade while Bro and Mom are the ecto-kids of Dave and Rose... that means that fan art of John and Jade and Dave and Rose wouldn't be incestuous. The fandom's going to go mad with shipping.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 27, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's definitely on my "One of these days" list. I don't really need another webcomic I'm really into but won't be finished for years right now. Maybe when it's finished.

Oh hey, a thought - reset-PM, WV, AR, WK, and WQ. I guess the midnight crew too. They'll all be back in the new session, right? Well not the same ones, naturally, but new copies. I hadn't thought about it much, but I guess with the way sBurb works it's just the same carapace-people getting reborn again and again forever. I really hope some instance (this new instance, maybe?) of them get to break free from the cycle and live in peace.

It kind of reminds me of that book the Zero Punctuation guy wrote, Mogworld. The protagonists are all fantasy characters from an MMORPG game that went sentient. The story is about a developer going on a power-trip while the game is in development and trying to rule it like a god. The story ends with basically the entire world deleted and the main character, one of the random mooks from the game, finally aware of the nature of his existence and how utterly he's failed to save it.

The only positive light is that he helped another developer bring down the crazy one, and that developer gained sympathy for the plight of the computer characters they'd made by his interactions with the protagonist. So, when they recreated the game from a backup, they changed it to be about helping the inhabitants of the game world and making the world a better place for them to live in. Which is all well and good, and it included a copy of the protagonist who had never gone through the experiences of the hero, but our actual protagonist still died in failure in an empty plane of nothingness with his world deleted around him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know the theme was "meaningful looks at an angle" but I just can't see John maintaining an expression that un-derpy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Which means all sorts of things from those universes might have survived!

Spades Slick might be alive! Drifting on some leftover chunk of green, ruined tower.

It seems appropriate that Lord English is a cross between a Felt, Cal, and Doc Scratch. He's part "new" (a new member of whatever it is the Felt are), but he's also been active in some form or another in both the kids' and trolls' sessions.

I'm getting strong "Demon Mobster Kingpin" vibes from this villain. Now that he's here, the rest of the story is probably going to focus on fighting him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay, so let's take a moment here.

What's going to happen now?

So far as I can tell, Lord English is going to/has done all the things he did during the history of the universe(s), but once he's done those he ends up back here at the Green Sun, deep in Paradox space, where the kids and trolls (living and dead) remain.

Will Lord English want in on the new universe Jade made, assuming her genesis frog didn't just die? Does he want to destroy the reset session, assuming it wasn't destroyed when the bomb went off (it mustn't be destroyed, since Reset Grandpa is like 99% likely to be Jade's Penpal at this point meaning the reset must have happened)? Does he want to kill the players? Recruit them? Hunt down all the horror-terrors? Does Spades Slick want to kill him, if he similarly survived? What about Bec Noir? PM? What if WV survives, perhaps by getting Bec Noir's ring - would PM and WV be meaningful opposition to him? Does he have more Felt to call on? Now that he exists, what does he want?

We don't really know what his next step is, narratively. Everything in the story so far has been building up toward his creation, the inexorable event of his universe-destroying birth. Now the universes are destroyed and the last area in Paradox space is occupied by all our characters, and I find myself wondering where we go from here.

If you've got any ideas about the questions above I'd love to hear them, because I'm dying for some decent speculation.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mazerunner posted:

1)Jade hasn't technically made the new universe yet. She had the tadpole version but still has to bring it to Skaia (maybe?) in order for it to mature and perform the Vast Croak.

2)John and Jade are heading through the yellow yard and through the second fourth wall, which leads into the post-Scratch session. From there their going to try to direct the Trolls/Derse Dreamsers to it. So yeah, the Kid's universe 'survived', but for how long is up for some debate.

The universe stuff in particular I'm confused about. If anyone could help explain/explain that we don't know yet?

So far as I can tell, there were two univereses - the troll one and the kids one. They went kablooey in the bomb. However, John Scratched their session and Jade made their frog. On the other hand, I thought the Scratch meant resetting the existing universe, not spawning a new one, while the frog tumbled into the lava.

Now Jade's got their whole incipisphere in her back pocket, so if she can retrieve the Genesis Frog that's a whole new, unshaped universe they might be able to play with. I can also only assume the reset session exists because how else could reset grandpa have been Jade's penpal. Does the reset session exist as a new, separate universe? Is it part of the universe that exploded, but in some way parallel to it and thus accessible? Is Lord English/Doc Scratch in there, instead of Bec? What's the deal?

It seems to matter since it'll affect where they have the final battle (here, in front of the Green Sun? In one of the new universes, if they exist?) and also because it'll probably define everyone's motivations, what they need to do next, and where they'll go after (Lord English will probably want to make his way to one of these new universes. Is he "there already" yet, or can he be stopped?)

Reene posted:

Wild and crazy prediction: Noir and PM fight, end in a stalemate, and end up joining up with the kids+trolls to fight against Lord English.

We know Noir prefers fighting opponents that pose a challenge and that he's got his own weird honor system. And though they can't outright kill LE, they can probably distract him long enough for the kids+trolls to glitch LE out of existence.

While I kind of want to believe that some manner of Jack Noir will be in the final fight (Spades Slick could survive the end of the universe if part of Doc Scratch's apartment did!), there's just no way that PM bringing a dying WV over with her won't be important. My guess is she and Bec Noir will die fighting each other, leaving just WV to put on their rings, gain their power, and use it to help the kids fight Lord English.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 3, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Not even sure if I should post this but a friend who keeps up with Homestuck stuff on 4chan told me there's apparently some big plan over there to buy Hussie and his girlfriend a box of dildos and have them mailed to his house.

I mean, you know, 4chan, so maybe it's just a running joke, but he seemed to think they were reasonably serious about it. Supposedly they'd aimed for and raised 270$ on paypal for it? It might be worth giving him a heads-up. Hopefully it's just another stupid 4chan joke that doesn't get off the ground, or it's someone with a paypal account scamming people who think they're honestly going to buy a bunch of dildos for Hussie.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If the kids meeting their guardians as kid-players in the post-scratch universe is almost certain now (Jade's "grandson" actually being her grandpa in the reset universe, who naturally with their positions reversed saw Jade as her grandma), what sort of dynamics can we expect when they meet?

I'm expecting it'll be the kids' chance to start afresh with their guardians with everything they've learned about them and the new perspective they have about them, but assuming their guardians were raised by the scratch-session kids as guardians they might not be so immediately receptive. Rose might be able to settle her outstanding problems with her own mother with the scratch 'Mom', Dave finally being an equal to his Bro, etc.

No clue what Dad's deal will be though. Maybe he's scratch-John's son (meaning scratch-John took on nana's role) and raised scratch-nana? Wouldn't it be weird if scratch-dad liked scratch-Rose, who'd basically have Rose's mom's role in this universe? Yeesh, shipping diagram chaos.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zorak posted:

Yep! That's all that's to it. The dead in it include dead alternate selves as well, including selves from other timelines that come into the alpha and are killed.

Presumably there's like 500 different Aradias all in Dream Bubbles.

Now here's a neat little wrinkle: Beta-John.

The John that dead Vriska's talking to.

Unless he followed Davesprite (back when he was Future Dave), Beta-John died in the Beta-Timeline yet is in a dream bubble here in paradox space.

So either we've got more to see and it'll turn out he did somehow get to the alpha timeline, or else even betas who die in their beta timeline get a dream bubble.

Remember all those Aradias? That'd mean there's eleven other trolls per Aradia in dream bubbles, all from failure timelines.

Edit: Another wrinkle is dream Jade. When she was revived, the way she spoke suggested that she existed in a dream bubble in the afterlife after dying in the Alpha to save dream John. So that means that there's also dream bubbles for all the dead dream selves, but how does that work with going God-tier? Did Jadesprite and Jade merge when Jade died to create God-Tier Jade, meaning that there's no Dream John in the dream bubbles? What about Rose and Dave, whose real selves definitely died before they went God-Tier, did they merge?

So many questions! On the plus side if the afterlife is packed with countless beta and dream corpses of former players it's going to please the shippers, since every relationship could be possible simultaneously.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 6, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MrBims posted:

While I believe it is very likely that beta-John actually came to the alpha timeline as part of The Choice, it hasn't been shown yet. We will probably get back to that 5 or 6 months down the line when Hussie realizes he is still only a quarter of the way through Act 6.

Basically this. Hopefully you're right since otherwise this could get very confusing.

The "easiest" way for the dream bubbles to work is that only those who died in the alpha timeline end up in one, and if one of a player's two selves are dead then that self is in the dream bubbles but if they go god-tier they merge back together.

That way, all the god-tier players have no (alpha) selves in the dream bubbles, and all the doubly-dead characters like Tavros and Nepeta and so on have just one self in the dream bubbles.

It'd still mean there's a Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, and Gamzee (Um... Sollux?) in the dream bubbles since their dream selves are dead and they'd be following Jade's example, but still, keeps the clutter down. And I guess we'll always have the hundreds of Aradias, couple of extra Daves, and the mystery of beta-John.

Hey, if beta-John made it to this timeline, Rose 'returned' through her dream self, and of course future Dave came back and became Davesprite, does that mean the only kid lost forever from that timeline was Jade? Any chance whatever shenenigens John pulled to come back to the alpha brought Jade (even if dead) with him? It'd be nice if Davesprite could be with 'his' Jade after getting kicked repeatedly in the junk by fate whoops who typed that lies and slander.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 8, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know (hope) we're past the literary comparison throwdown, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Shakespeare was considered downright trashy in his day. I mean, theater was pretty persecuted in Puritan England, there's a reason they had to build them alongside the bordellos just outside the city limits.

Anyway. I don't think Homestuck would translate well to any other medium. Hell, I don't even know if it ages well, so much of it comes from the moment-to-moment interactions and reactions of the fanbase and the authour. Does the jokey troll romance tantrum make sense unless you were there to read all the angry posts about trolls? Do the big flash updates carry the same weight if you haven't waited weeks for each of them? What about the injokes you're just not going to notice, like the PantsKat stuff?

Short of cramming the whole thing on to a disc/into a file that's formatted to store the whole comic as-is in an easily interactable medium, any other effort to deliver Homestuck would be akin to writing the whole thing over from scratch. Almost none of it would work with books like Problem Sleuth does (the text is unsuited and goes on for a length comparable to Lord of the Rings, try to make that fit nice on a page as a column of instant messages. Music is right out, interactive flashes can't be interactive, gifs are frozen, hell the only thing that might work are the mostly-still panels).

I'd be sort of idly interested to see how it might translate to a novel since all the fan-fiction writers, even the ones who are actually not bad (well, not totally bad) writers, have failed to capture the essence of the comic itself even if they can capture some of the characters. Maybe only Hussie could perform that sort of magic, but I don't know how his prose holds up and I don't know if he'd ever care to try it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Strangely, I see it in the opposite way. This late in the game we need more villains - or at least, we need more points of conflict. At first I thought there'd be more mooks, like new felt, that'd let us watch the heroes cut through them with their new powers. I'm pretty sure Hussie wants to avoid a Problem Sleuth Demon Mobster Kingpin scenario where the end of the story is just every character wailing on the final boss with their most powerful attacks. One way to do that is to set some characters against each other for one reason or another, to add complications to the final confrontation.

I mean think about it. For all the damage he's done, this evil Cal-faced Hulk isn't really someone we're personally invested into as a villain. He's got a lot of dread and fear built up, but he's not got much of a personal connection to anyone. Turn the heroes on each other though and get us worried about how that'll sort itself out and suddenly personal investment in both sides of the conflict shoots way up. Not to mention that, again, it does give our heroes just plain more to do rather than beating on the final boss.

There are other ways to add complications, of course. The reset kids, the reset universe and incipisphere, Jade's new universe, the dream bubbles, the horror terrors... most of those are still pretty vague though, hard to speculate on, and don't quite have the same sense of significance as imagining Dave and John pitted against one another in some tragic battle of the bros.

Edit: Or I guess we could have Rose and Jade pitted against one another in a battle of the "Have we met before?"

Dolash fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 8, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Being part Cal isn't much to hang your hat on. Okay Dave might freak out but I doubt it'll elicit more than a round of gallows humour from his friends and a burst of profanity from Karkat (but what doesn't?). In terms of wanting to beat him, only Aradia's really got the close sort of connection to Lord English himself (through her ancestor, as well as the treatment she got while being very aware of the cause). The rest might be able to see it as finally putting a face to all their suffering and tribulations, but even then I expect John's going to be sort of "heheheh whats with the puppet hulk guy? wait, he's the final boss?"

I might just be over-thinking it. We always seem to think things are going to be way more of a dramatic big deal than they usually turn out to be (John didn't break down at the sight of his dead dad and dead Rose, Jade didn't flip out on Tavros for inadvertently killing Grandpa, the other trolls were basically okay with Gamzee as soon as Karkat calmed him down). Maybe everyone'll just fist-bunp and get to fighting the final boss already.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Agreed, although maybe their method of ascension could have pushed them down paths they were willing to walk. We don't know how or why Lord English was actually able to force Snowman, the Handmaiden, and the Condence into his self-destructive service. In part, serving him is compatible with their personalities, but in part it also seems like they've been forced.

Remember when Eridan wanted to join Bec Noir in order to survive? That argument was only stupid because Bec Noir didn't want servants. Lord English took servants of all kinds to ensure his existence, and though we don't know what his motives are here at the end of time (that is, besides ensuring he comes into existence in the first place, which he's done) he might need servants for that too.

Aradia's so fatalistic that it'd be in keeping with her character to transfer from "my master is an unavoidable fate" before the creation of the Green Sun (which she couldn't stop) to "my master is Lord English, nigh-unstoppable lord of fate" (who is so powerful that he's as good as unstoppable). Everyone was happy when she went from sad little dead girl to living, smiling troll-fairy, but when she was dead she was clearly angry about her fate and Lord English (note when she complained to Rose even though she knew it wouldn't help) while after the fact she's been a lot happier about the hand fate's dealt her, even though it's lead to some terrible results. It'd be a Hussie-appropriate twist for something we thought was a positive character development to turn out to be a negative one.

Rose and Dave are harder to read. They're both attracted to dark forces and don't think of themselves as heroic, with a high tendency for self-destruction and escapism. Maybe they could see serving Lord English as the final escape? Maybe they're afraid of being the sort of heroes that thoughtlessly take a stand against the biggest evil in the multiverse? Maybe Lord English whispers his own promises, like the Horror-Terrors do?

There's a lot of ways this could hypothetically go. In fact, one of the most fun parts of Homestuck is imagining all the possibilities that are living, potential options at any one moment in time.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 8, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

When Eridan suddenly makes a dramatic comeback in the plot, it'll be Andrew Hussie forecasting a reelection victory.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nate RFB posted:

But we have no "investment" in Lord English as a character he can't be an antagonist :jerkbag:

It'd be nice if more than half the characters actually knew the name of the final boss who represents all their tribulations until this point. Sure in some sense Lord English has been with us all along since he's the indirect cause for most of the players' suffering, but in another sense he's only just been revealed as a character - heck, until the reveal some people were honestly speculating he was more like a force of nature, like the game itself, or that he was the Green Sun. We haven't had time to learn about the character that is Lord English.

What's that Earthbound game everyone references with regards to Homestuck? That one supposedly had an all-powerful god-boss like Lord English, but the god-boss himself was sort of without character, it was more like an elemental force. The last enemy with a real identity, however, was some other kid much like the protagonists (not absolutely sure, haven't played the game) who was trying to side with the monster. That sort of thinking, basically.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh hey, did anyone notice the Sburb logo only has one box and the screen only had one window? Sorry if it's been pointed out a thousand times, but does that mean there'll only be one player?

Maybe all the reset kids will be in a big bunch.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh god there is just so much to catch in each of these updates. Our cup runneth over with plot and interconnections and hints and references and aghblaghblabhgh.

These updates have been a reminder that Hussie's greatest skill is probably his ability to keep a thousand plates in the air and not drop a single one. The frigging blue-guy poster Jake gave Jane for her birthday because Grandpa likes blue complexion in reference to how Jade's Grandpa had all those creepy faded beauty portraits? And that's just one tiny background detail in a sea of similar referentia!

God help us all if this pace keeps up for long because there's just so much information to absorb here at the start of Act 6 and it looks like Hussie's not going to cut any corners on it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zorak posted:

They're not actually brother and sister though. Jane and Jake are paradox clones of themselves, there's no genetic sharing at all like Jade+John / Rose+Dave

The point is more that they were both adopted by the Batter Witch and a certain Colonel. That's why they're "brother and sister"

Now here's a question for you.

In the 'original' session, the guardians were cloned first (so they're not related to each other) and the kids were cloned from them, making John and Jade siblings as well as Dave and Rose.

So, in this session (assuming, one-square Sburb logo aside, that the four reset guardians are going to be players) did these events follow the same order? Or did they also get reversed? Are Jane and Jake brother and sister, or are Grandpa John and Grandma Jade their ectobiological kids?

Shipping diagrams, shipping diagrams everywhere.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

creationist believer posted:

I strongly think the evidence so far, based on the artifacts sent back with the babies, implies that the characters in this post-scratch universe are exact copies of the babies that were on the meteors sent back by John. So Jane and Jake are unrelated, and Grandpa John and Nanna Jade are siblings. Jane (or any other kid) won't create this group ectobiologically because they come from the last session.

Edit: Either way, Dad/Rose is now a viable pairing on he shipping grid now :stonk:

Pretty sure she still has to create them and send them back on meteors, it's just the case that we don't know what order they'll be created in or how they'll be sent back. Remember how Karkat had to create all the grubs and send them back, even though he was in a Scratched session himself?

Although it'd be a pretty funny inversion of the "So I have to marry Rose?" stuff if Jane and Jake were like "So we're actually our grandparents' parents?"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MrBims posted:

No, he's saying that the babies created in the pre-scratch session also went to the post-scratch session. Copied exactly, but landing at opposite times in both universs. Remember that the troll pre-scratch session specifically did not have the ectobiology sequence for whatever reason, yet those trolls still existed just fine - because they came from the troll post-scratch session, it appears. What happened to the trolls has happened in reverse for the humans: the trolls made themselves post-scratch, the kids made themselves pre-scratch. Both are part of the "glitch" that brings in Lord English.

It has yet to be explicitly stated like this, but it is appearing to be the only possible explanation for why Hussie brought up this specific "symptom" and for why all the items John sent with the babies are appearing in the scratched universe.

That's not the case, though. Karkat created his friends as well as his ancestors, and sent them back in time into his world to become the ancestors like Mindfang and her ilk.

It's explicitely not the case, in fact, because we saw that the guardians that John made were sent into his universe to become Nana Egbert and Grandpa Harley and so on.

So the reset kids will have to create themselves ectobiologically, and we still don't know if the order of their creation will be reversed or not. The items are explainable as the reset kid-guardians going through most of the same experiences as the kids and thus coming across the same items.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Right, I read that too.

Why would it work like that? That seems the less intuitive conclusion to draw. Technically we've not seen the post-Scratch kid-Guardians or the pre-Scratch Ancestor-trolls do any ectobiology, but it seems less intuitive to say a post-scratch universe did the ectobiology in one case while a pre-scratch did in the other rather than just saying each session does its own ectobiology.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wait, they didn't? I guess I must have missed that. That makes the "one ectobiology session for each universe" theory more live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can I just say I'm strangely warmed to see some of the old update pace after months of hiatus and months more of more sporadic updating? These updates are in the style and quantity of some of Homestuck's most prolific and fast-paced periods, it's kind of exciting to see it possibly starting up again.