Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know what weirdly obvious thing I haven't seen anyone talking about yet? The fact that humanity is going to get totally wiped out in the coming war.

I mean for fucks sake humans are squishy little fleshy bags of bones that live for a 120 years tops (and by the time we get to that age we're basically invalids) and trolls are giant insects who can live for millions of years and a lot of them have super powers.

It's going to be a very one sided fight.

The fear of that is what powers Jane's actions in both timelines. The feeling like humanity needs to strike first before the trolls reach a critical mass eats away at Jane because without positive intervention, she has too much of the Condesce's worldview baked into her thinking. The question was never whether the trolls really were inherently dangerous and destined to "revert" to a warlike state, just the classic fear a hegemonic demographic has of losing power to anyone else and imagining whatever rationalization they'll need to prevent that - which is perhaps a timely political theme, if you want to think 2019 Homestuck.

The single biggest danger of the war in the Candy timeline is probably Karkat dying but the trolls winning - clearing the way for Meenah to become the Condesce again. Jane causing the trolls to become what she feared through her own prejudices and turning the war into a battle between two images of the Condesce is a fitting doom-through-inaction for this world if its heroes cannot overcome their ennui. I don't know if we'll see it, but an ending where John and Roxy decide to get involved and stop the war (particularly leveraging their connections to Jane and Karkat directly) now that they're fully committed to this timeline would be a good way to wrap up that particular arc.

Oh also I guess an immortal god-tier Vriska also lives here now so I guess she'll probably strive to make herself very important to this world at some point.

Edit: Actually it's neat knowing all the ghosts that got sucked into the black hole get dropped into the Candy universe. Does that mean that cool pre-retcon Vriska and Terezi are also here? I kinda hope all the pre-retcon ghosts get dumped in this reality (or choose to believe that's what happened, if not addressed), since I never could quite let go of the original versions of those characters.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't see John going Biblical on anybody, but I could see him using the windy thing to separate the combatants and force them to talk it out. Admittedly, Jane is the one in the wrong, but coming to a peaceful conclusion probably depends on a negotiated conclusion over a violent overthrow. Something about how Meenah's the #2 in the rebellion and could easily turn the trolls down that darker path if Karkat's not around feels important, like a conclusion where Karkat indeed dies and Jane is talked into reviving him to bring about peace could work.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nephthys posted:

Saying they can be killed like anyone else is underestimating them considerably imo. God Tier players are ridiculously strong even just in personal combat and they're probably even more badass as adults than they were as kids. John was going toe to toe with Bec Noir at one point and Jake solo'd the entire Felt with his bare hands.

Yeah, the war's mostly been in the background of the story, but just having Rose, Dave, and Jade on the side of the revolution should make it pretty much a done deal if it's down to raw power. John's overwhelmed by ennui and while Roxy isn't willing to face what Jane's become, she doesn't seem to actively support her either. Jake's a passive supporter of the revolution. It's really just Jane and the inertial power of government and capital, and she's not really the most personally powerful or most effective leader.

I can only assume the war hasn't already ended because the God-tiers are holding back to keep it from devolving into a clash of the titans that destroys the whole world.

Edit: Also yeah Tavros is the one who explicitly died. Pre-retcon Vriska and Terezi have a nice, decently ambiguous sendoff so you're probably free to imagine whatever. Davepeta also seems ambiguous because they weren't dying when they dragged Lord English into the black hole, whatever falls into the black hole ends up in the Candy universe, and we saw the aftermath of Dead Calliope killing Lord English (and finding one feather from Davepeta). I would also like to believe that Davepeta can retire to the Candy universe and enjoy their hard-earned retirement.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 26, 2019

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just seems like another pseudo-narrative observation - if a bunch of gods are around there's an increased chance of them coming to blows and something bad happening, while narratively their individual importance to the plot goes down (so their expendability goes up). It's like the Inverse Ninja Law.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Some of that "I'll become the villain" confession near the end by Dirk seemed to be a mix of rationalizing away any possible self-doubt he could have about his actions while also giving him an out if he's defeated to pretend like this was his plan all along and actually he's a hero for taking on the responsibility of becoming the villain they needed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If that's what you got out of it without reading Meat, then I think I'll be interested to hear where your thinking goes afterward. How people read the stories seems to have significantly affected how they received and interpreted them - personally I read them alternating every chapter and can't imagine how much harder it'd be to see where the story was going without doing that. Suffice it to say you're not crazy to read in those inferences.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

These last couple posts have been really on the money. I'll add to the Jane/Dirk analysis that I think there's an interesting parallel to John and Rose's friendship, and particularly Rose's belief in his leadership.

Rose has recognized John as the leader in the beta-kid group for a long time, and especially since her Ultimate Self issues began manifesting she also seems aware of his protagonism and what that means for all of them in terms of managing the plot. There's a difference, though, between being the capital-L Leader and the one who knows what's going on and can push things into motion. Unlike Dirk taking for granted that he has the right to manipulate his friend into a figurehead, though, Rose seems to take deadly seriously the responsibility of shepherding her friend, and is clearly affected by knowing there are things she can't tell him.

Even back in the session, Rose seems to take genuine inspiration from John's indefatigable optimism and spirit, even knowing that he doesn't really understand what they're up against. Considering the moral of her wizard-fiction, she clearly has some "ignorance is bliss" envy, but I don't think it curdles into the sort of contempt and arrogance that Dirk has for people who don't see things on his level.

I like the theories that suggest Rose, Roxy, and Dead Calliope are engaged in a long-con plan to defeat Dirk and shape the post-canon destiny through subtly splitting the timeline, partly because it showcases a very different approach to the responsibility of operating on the narrative plane. Rose trying to both shape the direction of the story and respect her friends and their autonomy in order to defeat someone who does not is a case for her as narrator, if anyone has to be.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 28, 2019

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wondered if there'd be some final communication between the Meat and Candy timelines at the end, like Dirk's ship gets chased all the way to the Candy world or the two groups of players video-call each other using Candy John and Terezi's phones. Just some moment of catharsis for each group to finally see how their lives would've been different and let go of the idea.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There was definitely a frustrating continuation of the "maybe being a Space player means constantly getting sidelined until your one moment" retroactive justification for Jade not getting enough development or opportunity to do stuff. She also has the most frustrating role to play in her triangle with Dave and Karkat, which did not help and seems to take what was already an unsatisfactory, ambiguous arrangement and keeps spinning it out to no real resolution.

Actually, if we could handle that particular Gordian Knot for a moment, what is the deal with Jade, Karkat, and Dave? I can't tell if Dave or Karkat actually have romantic feelings for Jade or if they just don't want to disappoint her by excluding her. Dirk forcing the issue with Dave and Karkat is pretty definitively cast as negative meddling (if it even 'worked', since they still seem pretty uncertain) but being left to their own devices doesn't seem to leave them satisfied in either timeline either.

Considering how it treads on real matters of sexuality, identity, and so on that I don't feel qualified to speak on, I don't feel comfortable drawing very firm conclusions. Can anyone else take a swing at it?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It does seem tricky that respecting autonomy means not interfering with Dave's journey toward self-actualization (Jade trying to force the issue, Dirk's narrative manipulation), but the only times Dave seems to actually get over that hurdle and make progress is with the help of outside perspective (merging with Nepeta, becoming Ultimate Dave).

It raises the question of letting someone fail on their own so long as it's the result of their own choices, which seems to be a common thread of Candy - the characters are free of The Plot (but not, obviously, the actual plot of the real-life author) and so can pursue the lives they want to lead, but there's no guarantee they're the actual people they need to be to see those ambitions through. It frustrates both them and the audience, and we want to reach through the screen and fix things for them, but giving up that sort of direct influence over peoples' lives is an important part of respecting them as individuals.

The hard part is whether this sort of sleight of hand works for the reader, knowing full well that the Candy universe is just as much a written storyline as the Meat one. They aren't actually free of the hand of narrative, and in fact their story very much is still trying to make a point - a point that ties into and complements the main storyline, even. How are we supposed to let go of the desire to see Dave progress or have someone help him, when we know his story is still in the hands of an author choosing to prevent this to make their point to us, the audience?

I think that's part of why Candy isn't just "The bad timeline where everything ends poorly", it's a carefully-crafted mixed bag. Kanaya and Rose, certainly, have a happy ending, even if they're caught in a struggle with a fascist government. Karkat's love life isn't perfect but he's grown into the leader he always could be, given the need. Roxy's been going on her own self-actualizing journey, and helps John see their lives more for what they are and less for what they're supposed to be, which is what all these other twists and ticks are getting at. Their lives aren't everything they could've been, but at least they're theirs to make of what they can.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Most of the discussion of canonicity, essentiality, relevance and so on that occurs within the text is just sort of playing around and exploring ideas, they don't actually control what we perceive as the "real" story. The reason the epilogues matter to us is because they've got Hussie's name on them, they're on his site, and he seems to be somewhat involved in writing them or putting his approval on them or whatever - otherwise we wouldn't think of them as much different than anything else you could read on the very fanfiction websites it's parodying.

So accepting that the reason we care about the epilogues is the imprimatur of the author and that they're presented as some sort of continuation to Homestuck, the framing of Meat and Candy as being a split between canon and non-canon is really just a theme used to explore what those ideas mean rather than actual properties they have.

That the split was itself a necessary event probably instigated by Dead Calliope, Rose, and Roxy to defeat Dirk and escape the bonds of Lord English's morass of causality shows that the actual story (the thing Hussie & Co. are presenting) incorporates both branches as a whole. The overall story is about highly meta-narrative-sensitive characters shaping and weaponizing concepts like canon as part of their final evolution from subjects of narrative to authors of it.

Meat is only "essential" because it closes the loop on events within Homestuck proper, things like how Lord English is defeated. This epilogue could, hypothetically, just be the story in Meat, grinding through Rose's list of loose ends. But within the context of the epilogues, Candy is also made "essential", because that's the narrative pocket from which Calliope is operating, and she's fighting a metanarrative war with Dirk over control of the main timeline. This metanarrative conflict is part of what gives this story tension and makes it worth telling over just being a dry recounting of how John closes the last causal loop.

Even if we need Candy as a metanarrative staging ground, none of the events going on inside the bubble matter to anyone outside of it - a bubble which only survives thanks to Calliope's sense of duty. Instead, it's a space for the authors to explore what the characters might get up to unburdened from the obligations of Homestuck's "main plot", so obviously those events end up being bittersweet and full of introspection and existential musing. The events within Candy aren't "essential" in in-universe terms, but they're certainly essential to the story the authors are telling to provide a counterpoint to the story told in Meat.

Side note: it's kind of odd to think that Calliope was just hanging around Candy and seems to not mind people like Aradia or Sollux hanging out with her if they want to be close to the action. For all John's existential angst, if he was actually able to think through what was going on in the multiverse and followed up on leads he had like the events at teen Jade's funeral, he might've actually gotten the chance to be relevant again, if he wanted.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I had cause to revisit Homestuck from the beginning yesterday in order to kill time, and it was really surprising trying to connect what the comic was and felt like at the start to what it became. There's so much more time to let things breathe and goof around, which in turn builds your investment in the characters and world, an investment that later Homestuck is constantly trying to spend without building back up.

Fan fiction authors are generally engaged in telling a new story using a set of characters and concepts the audience is already familiar with as a sort of shortcut, and framing the epilogue as fan fiction gives it the same feeling. There really isn't a throughline from Homestuck as it appears in the first four acts to Homestuck as it is leveraged for metanarrative exploration by the epilogue. You can sort of see Homestuck drifting in that direction through acts 5 and 6, as the focus shifts to grinding through the laborious plot with less time for fun. The continuous entity of Homestuck comes to a shuddering halt with the ending, something the half-hearted attempts to reboot it with things like the snapchat updates attest to, and the epilogue doesn't so much revive it as conduct an autopsy.

That doesn't mean the epilogue isn't an interesting or useful retrospective on Homestuck, but it doesn't truly feel like a continuation of it. Compare and contrast with Undertale, which is often framed as the spiritual successor, even as an original work from a different author. Or Hiveswap which, despite its troubled development, at least tries to tie itself to a recognizable early Homestuck style.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, and I think the epilogue is definitely the sort of thing where if you cast it in a certain light before you even begin, you're not going to give it a chance. Some of those twists and developments were generally interesting as surprises, it'd probably feel like much more of a slog if you knew what was coming the whole time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I agree that Calliope isn't quite as clean-handed as she believes herself to be, but I don't think she's a secret villain either. She's preserving the entire Candy timeline purely out of her duty to protect the innocent, and while her restraint in exercising narrative power to fight Dirk is selective and tactical, it's also the right impulse to try and limit her direct interference. Possessing Jade is heavy-handed, but it's also her only option to contest Dirk's control, and borrowing Jade temporarily as a tether to their universe is downright subtle compared to Dirk just rewriting peoples' thoughts directly.

She seems to approach the problem of authorship as a sort of benevolent dictator (pun intended), and some slip-ups, presumptions, even some of Dirk's critiques do suggest she's flawed. I don't think she's supposed to be evil or unsympathetic, though, just that she may not be right in the end and someone else will have to act narratively to wrap the story up. Rose is a good bet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

John's absolutely capable of self-loathing and being closed off or weird about his feelings, in no small part brought on by the burden of protagonism that he doesn't understand and that has traumatized him so badly that he lives a permanently unsettled life in a timeline he knows on some level is "not canon". He's not even wrong to feel unsettled in such a timeline, because if it weren't for the intervention of Dead Calliope in preserving that timeline (an action he couldn't know is going on) he and everyone he knows would die horribly.

He and Dirk have some key commonalities, chief among them being their sensitivity to Plot. The difference is, whereas Dirk reaches this awareness through relentless and exacting analysis of their existence, John was the Plot's chosen, predestined hero from the start and he can't help but absorb some awareness of his situation no matter how much he tries to ignore it.

As Arsenic Lupin points out, Dirk resents John for being a perfect stooge despite having all the narrative power and preeminence he could ever need. John practically defines what is canon simply by his presence, something Dirk has to carefully manage. Dirk's suicide in Candy (and any other offshoot timelines) is likely something he blames on John, for being so unwitting and careless with such immense power. If Dirk had been the hero of Homestuck from the outset he'd have been the uncontested ruler of narrative reality by Act 5, pretty much what he's trying to pull off now.

Clawtopsy may also be right that the ultimate solution might be shuffling ultimate narrative authority to John. John and Rose have an interesting dynamic, as we saw in the intro, where Rose can grasp and understand Forbidden Knowledge, then safely launder it into instructions for John. If being the narrator has some kind of "absolute power corrupts absolutely" element, Rose pulling a long con to put that power not in her own hands (where she would be tempted to abuse it), but John's (who she can trust to not even realize the ramifications of what he's doing) would be a fun twist.

It's a weird sort of manipulation that also respects John's agency, like the original Meat/Candy decision.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The epilogues deliberately shading into fanfiction and including non-Hussie authors is bringing us closer to the point where Homestuck is some kind of public domain creative commons thing where anything anyone makes is about as canon as anything else. Homestuck spirals off into a loose collection of folklore, like the tales of Robin Hood or King Arthur, and when Disney adapts it into an animated movie in a century or so the "canon" they draw from will only be a tenth original Hussie material.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's nice that at least the characters of the epilogues themselves share their audience's restlessness and weariness, as too probably does the original author. Homestuck is the story of being run collectively into the ground but not being able to walk away.

I still wanna know what happened to the iterations of Jake, Dirk, Roxy and Jane that John retcon'd over to fight Caliborn with, considering they survived the battle and were with the Icon after it was loaded. The Beta kids John brought along all died pretty gruesomely battling Lord English, but there's no clear explanation for the other four.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Maybe if we get an epilogue follow up or Homestuck 2 we'll find out, and even get that version of Dirk vs evil Dirk

I think it's an interesting part of the whole "Ultimate Self" idea that it doesn't necessarily represent what most people might think of as someone's "best self", just perhaps their most aggregate "true self" - their most consistent characterization across all instances. Dirk more than anyone has been characterized by his divisions and spinoffs, and the idea that it's possible for Dirk to overcome his abusive tendencies, just unlikely, is kind of a novel way to think of a character.

Hell, the theories surrounding Rose and Roxy working together to split the timeline as a long-con to defeat Dirk would be an extremely clever meta-maneuver, that takes into account Rose's own impending Ultimate-ness as something to plan around and manipulate. The story is so committed to engaging with its metanarrative elements and the characters being active players in the writing of events that they can even leverage the idea of their idealized selves.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know much about art or colour theory, but I can tell you that trying to re-read Homestuck on my black-and-white screen really makes the absence of colour noticeable, it's doing a whole lot of work.

The art style Hussie developed for Homestuck, which seemed to evolve iteratively out of the previous MS Paint Adventure comics, is an interesting part of how the comic succeeded. It was flexible enough that he could draw and animate the characters in a variety of ways with it all still hanging together well, even when shifting or mixing styles together in a rapid-paced flash animation. It also let him keep up a prodigious update pace. I don't know enough to really appreciate how it works, but it seems really well-thought-out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Homestuck as a webcomic that was continued by official fan-fiction that was continued by a visual novel where a reader personification unsatisfied with the fan-fiction enters the story to mess around with it is... well, it's on brand.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Urgh, gimme five minutes, I haven't had breakfast yet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I didn't know that was you!

It's not, I'm just facing up to the reality of reading Homestuck: Again.

Color Printer posted:

Sigh

Okay. So. After psyching myself up to read the Epilogues when they came out I never actually did it. Do I actually have to loving read them before I start whatever the poo poo this is.

Probably, yeah. It picks up immediately where they left off.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've been waiting for enough time and distance from Homestuck to let me go back to the start and try to re-experience and re-integrate it, and it seems like Hussie was doing the same thing.

Dirk as sort of a manifestation of a post-Homestuck cynical authorial voice from out of Hussie's head is interesting, even if it's rapidly pushing the author-audience relationship up from subtext to just text.

There's a lot of obvious ways in which this seems to be modeled as a throwback to Early Homestuck, like the suggestion boxes and poking around Dirk's room. The biggest way though is that it feels like a return to Hussie engaging with the discourse around Homestuck directly, in the way that the story used to in its heyday of hyperactivity. At some point while the Dark Old Days set in, Hussie seemed to become sort of cagey and detached, and not as an affectation but as an actual stressed creator wrestling with their obligations.

Even if it's so heavy with accumulated canon and story material at this point that it needs a cheat sheet for the epilogue, it's still somehow refreshing to see Homestuck written like this. Hopefully this'll be enough of a clean break creatively that things won't immediately get bogged down in intractable poo poo.

Edit: Oh, there's a patreon. Okay, intractable poo poo ahoy.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 25, 2019

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dirk attempting to make his own Homestuck from the ground up feels like a natural extension from the epilogue - his monomaniacal need to be at the center of everything wouldn't be satisfied being a part of someone else's story, or being contained to a fan-fiction-ish addendum. He's go to do his own bigger, better Homestuck.

That's also pretty fertile ground for a ten-years-later retrospective on the comic itself, particularly the early parts. I think Dirk's a pretty effective vessel for that, as an antagonist recasting the story to make themselves the protagonist while also acting as a self-aware and insecure author trying to integrate the criticism surrounding the work itself. Whole lot going on there.

It's kind of funny to think this is sort of the high production value version of Caliborn's lovely low-quality Homestuck rewrite. As much as Dirk hated having to wrestle control of the narrative back from alt-Calliope, having to compare his work with Caliborn's would probably be all the more unbearable.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

subpar anachronism posted:

Is there a tldr somewhere of everything between the end and now? Please don't make me troll date.

The official recap is linked like three replies up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like Dirk as the antagonist more than Bec Noir, Lord English, or Caliborn (bit of a tie with Doc Scratch). The story choosing to focus on the navel-gazing, fourth-wall-breaking, up-its-own-rear end Weird Plot poo poo may be coming at the expense of other parts of Homestuck, but it's probably the deepest hook the comic's got in me so I can stomach the self-indulgence.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to him getting dunked on by somebody whose dialogue is more bearable though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I started reading early in Problem Sleuth, so from the start Homestuck just gradually climbed the charts of my interests until by Act 4 it was my favourite thing online, and by Act 5 an all-consuming interest. The highest update frequency stretches when you'd get new panels three times a day at the oddest times basically made it impossible to stop thinking about. If I really wanted to know what I made of Murderstuck I could go dig up my posts from that era, which I decidedly do not want to do.

Anyway. Time for more posts. While it was previously established that Brain Ghost Dirk is indeed a splinter of Dirk Prime, and that said Prime Dirk - now that they're in the narratively omniscient driver's seat - probably can't be separated from BGD, I still sort of like the idea of a Dirk existing somewhere who could possibly be acting contrary to Dirk's plans. Even if it is the caricature imaginary one produced by a mindlessly optimistic friend who wants to imagine despite definitive evidence that a better Dirk is possible.

(It's just Dirk Prime adopting a ghost guise to control Jake again)

Honestly there's something staggering on a purely psychological level that Jake is so broken that the only way he could parse the idea of self-improvement or initiative was to embody it in the form of (one of) his abuser(s). Literally the only way Jake's brain understands how to make sense of his desire to make a difference in the world is to put words in Dirk's mouth for him to obey. Even Tavros (the troll one, not the son one) was able to throw off Vriska and go have his own Character Development Arc at some point.

RIP the Tavros who finished a Character Development Arc, btw. Best Tavros.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hey all, long time no post. Just swinging by to ask a Hiveswap Act 2 question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere else regarding the train station tickets and the trial.

So early in the game, you can either get two real train tickets, or just one and then trade them and the pogs for two fake train tickets. It turns out you need the pogs to get the best outcome in the trial that takes place half-way through the train, but in order to get both real tickets you need to betray Chixie's trust by telling Elwurd about her plans.

This really upsets Xefros, and he has a separate conversation with Joey about how it was wrong and dangerous to blab about things like that. Does this have consequences later? I liked the outcome where you talk things through with Chixie instead of spilling to Elwurd better, but I'm willing to go back and redo that puzzle to get a better outcome in the trial, but I'm hoping that doesn't end up screwing something else up later.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It actually has positive consequences, you need too real tickets and those pogs to solve a crime later. Although you miss out on more Chixie dialogue and more charitorization for Dammek.

Thanks! Just to clarify, though - the characterization for Dammek and the Chixie dialogue are just the bits from the alternate solution to the train ticket puzzle, right? Like there's not going to be another quest 80% of the way through Act 2 where you can only get the good outcome if you didn't betray Chixie's trust?

I'm only checking because the extra dialogue Joey has with Xefros if you sell Chixie out to Elwurd seems to strongly imply that you did a bad thing, while the dialogue where you give Chixie the microphone and talk her out of being the masked singer just seems generally better for everyone. It's kind of a weirdly opaque decision for the player to prioritize your inventory of puzzle-solving items over the situation in front of you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Argh, this Hiveswap Act 2 bug right near the end! I've been waiting to find the Lusus Medicine for Strella this whole time, and when I got sent all the way back there to pick up the faygo for the clowns I assumed that'd tie in, but instead Joey just gave the "sorry I didn't do your sidequest" dialogue. Then I look it up and apparently due to a bug you have to use the first aid kit on Skylla before you leave the lowblood train car for the first time or else it won't register?

I really don't want to have to redo 80% of the game, does anyone know if helping Skylla is important to solving something else? It feels like it could play into solving the "kill a clown" quest the same way that, say, solving the trial without killing the anime nerd helped with the "kill a teal" quest. If it's just a nice thing to do for Skylla I can do that on an old save just to see it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it didn't make a difference. It was a good game, though! I enjoyed it, felt very Homestuck, and I'm especially enjoying the expanding on and fleshing out of Alternia. I'm down for all this class analysis and conflict, the train was basically that old political cartoon of the class layer cake "we rule you/we fool you/we shoot you" thing. Alternatively it's Troll Snowpiercer.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The problem with absolutely everything post-Homestuck is that Homestuck is fundamentally just one thing:

An unhealthy, breakneck update pace.

It's not a setting or a genre or a style of music or a kind of pixel art, Homestuck is something that dumps a huge amount of text and art on your head every twenty hours or so for a couple years straight. Nothing associated with Homestuck has had that since it originally got big, not even Hussie himself once he had to split his attention with the Kickstarter game and the fire went out.

Psycholonials was pretty interesting, it's nice to see Hussie doing something new-ish that feels like it's kept up with the march of time, but if it isn't constantly feeding grist to the mill then it's only going to be pretty interesting and not a new phenomenon.

Oh, and I definitely thought that whole end sequence was like a dream or a hallucination or something, at least until we reached the end of it. loving jumping a cop for his gun is quite the escalation!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Credit where it's due, Psycholonials does prove to me that Hussie can update his shtick of capturing at least some of the internet zeitgeist for the modern-day internet, not just the instant-messaging era.

Marx and Engels as gen-z influencer disasters is pretty wild too.