Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

That Vriska wasn't actually part of a beta timeline though. It was just a vision of what would happen if Terezi didn't kill Vriska.

Terezi killing Vriska was a decision, just a calculated one based on what she saw in her vision. As has been shown, decisions are what cause beta timelines to spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arrhythmia posted:

If Vriska wins that fight though, then Jack will never kill the kid's universe. Without a dead universe, the green sun wouldn't be created by the exploding tumor, so she'd never even see it.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/03808.gif

But she did see it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's never been established that beta timelines do or don't exist except where they're necessary to loop back into the alpha timeline.

Actually...

According to Terezi in that page, the Beta timeline spawned because Dave made a choice. The Beta timeline that spawned was where Dave chose the opposite one the awake Dave made. As a result of that, Beta Dave looped back in time to get killed on his Quest Bed, but instead got killed by Jack.

Terezi isn't the most reliable person to explain the mechanics, but, well, those are the mechanics as we know them.

EDIT: It's possible to argue that Felt Beta Dave only exists because he looped back into the alpha to die, but I don't think that's the case. It seems that beta timelines just spawn whenever someone makes the wrong choice and occasionally someone loops back, but most of the time everyone just dies.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That's not the Green Sun, that's Jack blowing up the Troll Meteor.

gently caress. You're right.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 29, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Oblivious posted:

Indeed. It's by no means a sure thing, but it's also not unlikely either.

I mean, that's pretty much how Aradia got there. She just flew manually.

This is true, but Aradia was both a) already there because she flew through Jack and b) able to map the place out because she's a hero of time. The hero of light doesn't necessarily have that same power, and would have to rely on being fast enough to make it while the beacon of light is still there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

True Evil Bob posted:

I'm just going to blindly hope Vriska's story isn't over because I really wanted to see alpha john and alpha vriska meet.

I don't think that isn't happening without either a jailbreak or John dying a heroic death (because let's be honest here, there's no way he's dying a just death.)

Alpha Vriska is dead.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

True Evil Bob posted:

One of the dead Solluxes was able to follow Aradia to the green sun and is present when Rose/Dave show up.

Not technically a jailbreak, but close enough. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bobulus posted:

You know, considering this is the last act, and I think at one point Hussie said Act 6 would be more of an epilogue than anything...

...is it possible they're not even going to fight Lord English?

Maybe they're just going to accept him as a universal constant, find a universe where he doesn't exist / deliberately jump to a Beta Timeline where he isn't summoned, and just live.

I mean, I'm not saying it's likely, but maybe we're assuming too much that there's going to be a giant, DMK-style final-boss fight.

Act 7 is going to be more an epilogue than anything. Act 6 is just not going to be as long as Act 5 was (assuming it doesn't derail.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

QueerPope posted:

In the kid's session, yeah, it was supposed to happen. But the way that the game would have normally gone without any weird glitches showing up then the hero of space would not have ended up this overpowered.

Yeah, it's really important to make the distinction between what happened in the sessions we've seen and what would normally happen in a (successful) SBURB session.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zorak posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it comes down to Karkat in the God-Tier being the only way for Vriska to come back to life. His powers seem primarily about calming and leading people, but it wouldn't surprise me if in the God Tier he basically fulfills the Christ metaphor and brings Vriska back to life as everyone is crying at the glory of their savior, Jegus the Karkat

I suppose where coming back to life yourself is a fairly standard power, bringing someone else back to life might be something...

I wonder what would happen if, say, John used his breathy thing on a not perfectly fresh corpse actually. That would be...something. I'd say nothing would happen, but god tier powers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nilbop posted:

If we never have to see Vriska again I'll be over the moon. I couldn't get over how well she got on considering what she did to people simply because she was a huge bitch.

She was an extremely well developed character.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dumb brunette posted:

Oh boy, is it time for a repeat of every Vriskachat we've ever had? I'll get the popcorn if you bring the soda :allears:

I'm kind of banking on Vriska staying dead but nothing would surprise me at this point.

I'd really rather not bring it back up. The thread just came back a few days ago, drat it. We've basically had one set of updates.

:smith:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dumb brunette posted:

All you really need to know is that when Hivebent was in its prime and Vriska kept doing crazy things, people would get into pages-long arguments about whether she was a good or bad character anytime she was onscreen (and often when she wasn't).

I don't check the MSPA forums because :gonk: but I'm pretty sure they still do this religiously. Almost as a form of entertainment.

To add to this, (if I remember correctly) it got so bad at one point that it was actually banned from the thread. It basically ruined the thread whenever it came back because it got so ridiculous.

It was not the only topic that got like this, but it was certainly the worst of them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Easy mode: [s] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter. There were a lot of incredible flashes, many really full of content and great action, and a lot of great scenes and chatlogs that didn't come from flashes, but none will quite measure up to the sheer hilarity of that flash. I've re-watched it many times, now, and while it's not as funny as it was that first time (which was one of those moments where I just broke down laughing. It's not the hardest I've ever laughed, but it's up there.)

I can't even really explain why. It was just extremely funny.

When you take away the flash pages, it does get a bit harder. With that said, though, I'd say it's one of two pages: This one, because it is an incredibly funny memo (as all memos are, really!), or this one. There were a lot of great pages out there, and while I was definitely partly aware of things by this point, that page (well, that whole sequence of pages. The entire discussion John and Vriska had there) really hammered home just how well developed Vriska (and really, all of the major characters) actually was(/were.)

EDIT:

dumb brunette posted:

See I'd do this, but my answer would be "Vriska and her character arc and development" and look where that would get us. Just look!

(I think besides that I am always going to vividly remember the heavy chimes part of Cascade where the panel progression is really fast, just before the Tumor blows up.)

It really took me a while to get into Homestuck though, so I think I'll always remember WV: Ascend really clearly since that was when I actually started giving a fig about the story. Rose: Enter, too. Vriska is definitely my favorite thing overall, though, specifically her talk with John just after she killed Tavros about how she was trying so hard to be a "good troll."
Welp! (:hfive:)

EDIT2: Added link.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 30, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KoB posted:

Vriska and John's conversations are always enjoyable to me. They're so awkward and adorable :allears:

No lie, this is one of the main reasons I hope Vriska comes back in one form or another. Their conversations are just great. They're not the funniest things (those are almost exclusively based in Dave or Karkat), but I still really enjoy them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Who knows if our/their ideas of heroism/justice even matter? It's entirely likely that it's just the universe (or the game) deciding what is just and/or heroic.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fiction posted:

Just so you guys know, Hussie was hit by the huge fuckoff snowstorm we just had and is likely without power for a few days.

That's really unfortunate, but he wasn't really going to hop back into the grind until the 11th anyways, so this might not actually make much difference (from an audience standpoint.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nate RFB posted:

Wait, is the question why didn't Aradia go straight into a dreambubble after she died for the first time? In addition to being A Special Case from the get go, couldn't it also just be because she hadn't entered the game yet? The Aradiabots, like the Beta Daves, have dreambubbles after all.

Well, while the dream bubbles are outside the furthest ring where time is...weird, it's worth mentioning that at that point in the storyline, the dream bubbles didn't actually exist yet. That happened after Feferi died.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

creationist believer posted:

Slight point, but it was when her dreamself died and she went to sleep to show there was nothing wrong with sleeping without a dreamself and setting up the dream bubbles. I don't think that's the reason why Aradia became a ghost instead of going to a dream bubble, I think that's just because Aradia is Aradia. Probably.

Yeah, I considered that. I wasn't sure exactly, especially given how nonlinear the troll timeline got at times, so I went with the safe choice.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I thought the horrorterrors set up the dream bubbles, and Feferi asked them to do it.

This is indeed what happened.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Krinkle posted:

I skipped 20 pages what is hard mode/easy mode? is this a song or group of songs?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444640&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=41#post397077173

This post explains it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eiba posted:

... Actually that just doesn't make sense period. How could the universe be destroyed and reset at the same time? Or rather, how could the universe be reset at one point in time and years later (but not many) be destroyed? I mean, clearly the things that destroyed the universe were not a consequence of the post-Scratch timeline so... what's going on there?

It actually makes quite a lot of sense when you consider that the destruction of the kids' universe was external. Quite simply: since Bec Noir was no longer inside the kids' universe, the Scratch does not affect him, much as it does not affect Dave and Rose (who are at the Green Sun), or Jade and John (who left via the fourth wall before the Scratch finished), or any of the trolls (except possibly the Condesce).

The circumstances of Bec Noir's creation no longer exist, but since he is no longer in the kids' universe, it doesn't matter.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Boneless Jogger posted:

Those make a lot of sense, but hey theory making is fun so I'll throw out another one. It might be another glitch, like the pre-scratch troll session had. If Bilious Slick doesn't exist, how can their universe exist? I don't really know how that'd work, though.

That's also simple, and can be answered in two ways:

1) Assuming Bilious Slick still exists, but was killed by Red Miles: Slick wasn't always dead, so his history still remains. His history, in this case, being the post-Scratch universe (and everything before it.) The pre-Scratch universe happened, and things emerged from Slick as a result, but as far as he is concerned, there's just the post-Scratch universe.

2) Assuming Bilious Slick no longer exists as a result of Red Miles: he may not exist anymore, but that is not the same thing as him never having existed. For a while, he didn't exist, then the trolls created him and he became a universe. For a while, he was the post-Scratch universe (the pre-Scratch universe was overwritten by the post-Scratch universe, so it effectively does not exist, while things that escaped from it do because of the reasons outlined in the past few posts).

Very simple.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JT Jag posted:

Kanaya had her chance, after the showdown, to get Vriska to calm the gently caress down and play nice. In the end, Vriska's impulse to get her fight on against Jack was just too strong, though.

...No? She had her chance after the showdown, then didn't bother.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I don't think she even knew Vriska was going to do something as stupid as going after Jack directly.

At that point, she might not have even cared (well, beyond the consequences of Vriska's choice, obviously.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Andrew Hussie's Tumblr posted:

All of western Mass. lost power the other night because of some sort of absurd spooky pre-Halloween snowstorm. Yesterday morning I figured it’d probably take a week or so to fix the grid so I immediately got the hell out of dodge. Staying with people in Boston for a while.

I was planning on posting something today, but I guess that’ll be delayed somewhat. Maybe. I’ll see what I can do.
http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/12173723924

Glad he managed to get himself somewhere with power, at least, even if he may not be adding any content.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nate RFB posted:

I think there are two notions as to what the destroyed universe / scratched universe mean for each other, and we don't necessarily know which yet:

1). The post-scratch universe is still dead, but it dies at the same point of time (i.e. 413 years after the end of the world). There is thus still going to be a new Sburb session spawned from it.

2). The scratch has reset Bilious Slick and thus revived him, but Jack could destroy him again if PM does not stop him.

Jack of course can't not (ugh) exist because of the scratch, because he was outside of its influence just like the kids and trolls were. In fact he escaped from the medium when he noticed the scratch was taking place, as stated by Hussie explicitly.

While I can't say with any actual certainty since the story hasn't continued, I can say I really, really expect it to be #1. #2 seems...odd. Nonsensical, almost.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GenericOverusedName posted:

I think he is.

But hey real-world Jegus flipped his poo poo every once in a while too so it works?

Considering he already did that with The Sufferer, yeah, wouldn't surprise me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Factory Factory posted:

One thing I've been wondering is, why the yellow yard?

Hussie moved only one side of the second fourth wall. Presumably, with the yellow yard being his ONLY interaction, the two fourth walls would have been touching otherwise.

So the difference he has made is that Jade's ship will enter the second fourth wall at a slightly different angle and 3 ns later, having spent those 3 ns in the author's study.

These questions are eating at me: How much of this is important? Why didn't he move the other side of the second fourth wall, too, so there would be an even 3 yards between the walls? What difference will it make?

E: It just occurred to me: two fourth walls into the same story pointed at each other is a really clever image for a self-referencing story.

Very simple: because the two fourth walls weren't pointed at each other beforehand. Andrew Hussie the character is the only reason they are next to each other aligned like that. Previously, they were...well. In different areas of the room/house/etc.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bobulus posted:

Nothing says that anyone has to be bothering them, but:

a) Hussie is all about patterns and circumstantial symmetry and stuff. If the original four kids were constantly being trolled, it's pretty likely that the rebooted versions will be, too, just in a different way.
b) If no one talks to the new kids, how are they going to get involved in the story?

I'm assuming, of course, that if we do start the next chapter from the perspective of the new kids, that it'll start from Day 1, like the comic did.

Don't you think it's a little late to be introducing new characters? I mean, we'll definitely see the guardians as kids (except maybe Dad, who I think will be exactly the same due to how mundane his creation was; remember, Nanna was technically John's "guardian" as far as the ectobiology babies are concerned), but I don't think they'll be hugely important in the grand scheme of things.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

creationist believer posted:

Hussie will find some way to pay for Olive Garden in exchange for dildoes.

He will then proceed to never go to the Olive Garden.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Supercar Gautier posted:

Dad isn't in the loop when it comes to ectobiology and role-switching. People seem to forget this 24/7.

The paradox babies are: John, Rose, Dave, Jade, Nanna, Mom, Bro, and Grandpa. Dad is not one of them.

EDIT: Whoops, kinda misread the post. Nonetheless, it still seems to be a thing people miss.

That's why I expect him to be in exactly the same place he was in the pre-Scratch universe, if he's there at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Well, it's important to consider his wording. If he says something could happen, it's definitely something that may not. If he says something will happen, that's completely different. He hasn't said anything incorrect. Just omitted important information and phrased perfectly correct statements in deceptive ways.

Or in other words: he lies by omission, so when considering whether what he's saying is a lie or not, make sure you put a lot of emphasis on what he did not say.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Judging by what we DO know about the Scratch process (which is very little, and may include some information that only applied to the troll Scratch), here's what I expect to see:

1) Mom, Bro, Nanna, and Harley (J?) are now the players. They are probably all being raised by strange things (except Nanna, who is presumably being raised by Dad, who due to his natural-born nature, should remain the same) because for one reason or another, their ectobiological parents don't exist, because

2) In the troll universe, it is suggested that the trolls and ancestors are literally the same characters as in the pre-Scratch universe because The Sufferer retained his memories (or at least some of them.) This may be because of the specific glitch of the pre-Scratch Troll session. None of the current Kids are in the universe at the time of the Scratch.

3) Doc Scratch will be raising J. Due to the death of Grandpa Harley, Jade was raised by her planet's first guardian. I expect this to remain the case (except instead of "death," there is "nonexistence") and in the Troll universe- and this may just be another conditional thing- the Scratch is what laid the seeds for Lord English and made Doc Scratch the first guardian.

4) As a result of this, the planet will be a brutal place much like the Troll society was.

This is all conjecture based on very little reliable information, though. :saddowns:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YF-23 posted:

Given that Doc Scratch/the circumstances that made the troll society brutal as gently caress were born out of the troll ancestors' deal with Echidna, I think there won't be a corrupting influence such as Doc Scratch on the kids' Scratched universe.

Unless of course Jade made the same deal with her Echidna. :tinfoil:

That's why I said it was conditional, since I wasn't positive about that agreement (nor was I positive about the one Jade made with Echidna, for that matter.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eiba posted:

Honestly I'd have an even harder time with these gigantic flashes if I was reading the archive.

We've all been forced to sit around and discuss each flash for days, if you were reading the archive, you'd sit in stunned silence for a couple seconds before eagerly going on to see what would happen next.

It's clearly not the best way to absorb information, but I know it's how I would undoubtedly go about it (and how I did go about the earlier acts- before the Midnight Crew intermission), and I'd definitely have lost a lot of the story, especially stuff from flashes like Cascade.

This is true, but at the same time, later pages do a pretty decent job of explaining what happened in the flash, be it in the form of a recap or the characters talking about it, as they do.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Walliard posted:

I definitely missed a lot of stuff on my first archive binge, but part of that was due to glossing over some important exposition bits (esp. in Act 2) in favor of "more inventory/furniture shenanigans please!" :downs:

This is why, despite how terrible Act 5.1's pesterlogs can get, I always emphasize the importance of actually reading everything in the story. Every goddamn word.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CidGregor posted:

What.

The rest of your post I agree with, but. Just.

What.

Look, the trolls have some extremely annoying chat gimmicks, and as a result of this, Act 5 is a bit of a roadblock for people, causing them to do dumb things like skip pesterlogs. While this doesn't bother me personally, it's a fairly generally accepted thing, at least until people have read far enough to stop caring and enjoy the story again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YF-23 posted:

Apologies in advance, but

The experimental format has absolutely nothing to do with the volume, density, and quality of the words involved. Now could we please stop this and
you know
just kind of
maybe
perhaps
concede that we are allowed to have different opinions
perhaps realise that what turns us on doesn't turn others on
maybe understand that others can dislike what we might like
even admit there is no objective measure of quality and it whole depends on each independent reader how good they might perceive Homestuck to be and that's totally fair and ok

There is a very big difference between Hussie's writing and Buckley's. Buckley writes a "traditional" style comic and updates three times a week. Hussie writes a comic that is very non-traditional, in an adventure format with the words separate from the pictures (where they're out of the way.) When he's not on hiatus, Hussie averages seven pages per day. He may not prioritize being succinct (which is a problem that he acknowledges, also unlike Buckley!), but he at least has an excuse.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

jvempire posted:

I think what seperates Homestuck from other webcomics is Hussie's writing style. It's not literary genius, but his writing is very entertaining and that's what keeps me coming back to HS. But HS does have flaws, like not all the trolls are fleshed out to name one example. Probably the biggest issue is not Hussie's fault though, and that is that the story isn't finished yet. Hussie is essentially releasing a novel page by page, meaning that some events maybe confusing and it's not possible for the reader to just turn to the next page to see what is happening.

I agree that Homestuck has flaws, but uh. That's not one of them. Most of the trolls are minor characters. Not every character needs to be as fleshed out as, say, Vriska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OMFG FURRY posted:

Despite the popularity of the term "web comic" in reference to novel-length stories presented in semi-regular updates, web comics are not novels. Which is not to say that comics cannot have the sophistication and depth of a novel, but the best web comics have qualities that separate them from straight prose.

This is true. However, it's also true that Homestuck is very, very different from your normal webcomic. So different, in fact, that I'd say it barely qualifies as a webcomic at all and that people might only be referring to it as one because "web-based sequential media" (a much better way of phrasing what Homestuck is without limiting it to things that Homestuck itself is not limited to) is a bit of a mouthful.