Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

This seems like a good time to get back into the comic. Wow, two months hiatus, that must have been hell.
I see Gamzee supposedly has been pacified, I wonder how the others are going to react to that news...
This is kind of exciting, this flash could be even better than [s] Descend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Meh.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh, finally got to watch it. What lovely music, even my family crowded over to ask about the music.
And the art was sooo good, what stood out to me was that image of Rose, you know that one, did Lexxy do that?
Aww, sad about all the carapaces, WV, AR, WQ got a rough job, oh well I guess they'll be in the dreambubbles so I care more about CD and DD, it's the cool guys who always die most.
Kinda weirded out by the apparent lack of concern over Gamzee. Did they just spend an hour hanging out on the roof top with a bunch of dead bodies. Terezi, why don't you get up in his grill about the murders?? That's kind of your thing.
I can't wait for the Noir PM showdown, I always thought she'd be the more fitting fighter against Noir.
What would Rose's godtier powers be? I can't comprehend.

Great flash, 9/10

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Saradiart posted:

More over, Aradia being considered an enemy is more in line with an eight player session: 4 surviving trolls (Gamzee, Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya) and the four kids.

Why would any of those guys sans Kanaya maybe survive? They're d00med.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Lord of Laughton posted:

- So many heartbreaking moments. I think Sollux killing(?) himself to get his crew out of the universe takes the cake.
Yeah, that poor boy seems to spend more time dying or getting grievously wounded than any other character. Though I'm eager to learn about the circumstances that got him to kill himself, I'm sure everyone will be devastated once they find out.

Lord of Laughton posted:

- Glad to see Gamzee is alive at time 0 and onwards. He needs to redeem himself for the poo poo he did.
I think he'd need to feel bad about what he'd done first.

Lord of Laughton posted:

- There's some amazing art. I think the ones that stood out most for me are Dave/Rose looking at each other next to the Tumor or Jadesprite looking at Davesprite.
Yes! That's the art I liked the most, Rose looks so cool.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Betty Crocker is the troll empress :ssh:

I don't think the Condesce is Betty Crocker, I mean sure, it could happen, but I'm betting Hussie is misdirecting us like with Doc Scratch's front door. The only thing Scratch said about where he sent the Condesce was that it was a place Lord English couldn't go himself, and Earth doesn't really meet that description. I'm betting she's the person who's supposedly killing all the horrorterrors. What's more fitting for a Feferi's ancestor.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

President Ark posted:

The other reason why people think she's crocker is the insignia on her battleship very strongly resembles the Betty Crocker logo (similar outline, same color scheme and design)

Also nana's whole "She was not really human!" story she told to FF.

Yeah, that what I was talking about with misdirection. The logo strongly implies she's Betty Crocker, but at the end of the day it doesn’t really prove anything. (Also strange that there is troll Betty Crocker on Alternia already.)
The alien part is harder to get around, but not impossible, maybe she was Snowman or something.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

The Kids' Black Queen is dead. As is Snowman.

Well obviously, but it’s not like she was dead all her life.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

No, but there is nothing to suggest she ever left the troll universe.

Only put her up as a candidate to show there were other characters viable to be Betty Crocker. For all we know she could be a new character, I very highly doubt it, but nothings been confirmed as of yet.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Could be, but 1) the horrorterrors seem content to help Lord English's plans along and 2) there's no indication that Lord English can get into the Earth universe in its current state (and Doc told us that at least one purpose of the Scratching mechanism is to prepare a universe for LE's arrival.)

Hmm, didn't think much about that, I just assumed Lord English was in every universe, I have the vaguest memories of reading something like that, but no way I'd ever be able to find it. But beyond running the ~ath code I don't think there are any solid things that have to happen for Lord English to enter a universe.

Dr Strangepants posted:

I like the idea, but are the horrorterrors and LE even on opposite sides? It seems the information whispered to the Derse dreamers helped make the green sun as much as anything else. They whispered the genetic code that makes guardians like Doc Scratch, a servant of LE, and Bec whose power allowed Jack to destroy the kid universe. And Rose got some kind of peculiar answer when she asked if the gods were evil. I believe the horrorterrors also guided and empowered Rose into learning about the green sun.
I honestly have little clue about the allegiances of the horrorterorrs, on one hand they're doing what doc scratch wants and becoming Feferi's lusus, which really fucks everything, but on the other hand they're making dreambubbles at the players request and tried to get Rose to destroy her code that powers up Noir.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

He doesn't enter a universe until its destruction. Apparently, the universe must also be adequately prepared for his entry as well, hence the necessity of Doc Scratch.

I don't think Doc Scratch is a necessity for Lord English to enter a universe, it does say that Lord English ensures his own creation personally. But who knows, maybe Lord English wasn’t in the kids universe. It's certanly a possibility.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So is this thread going to get locked until 11/11/11?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

"a spooky ghost robot frog posted: posted:

Also in the process of searching for that conversation I found this:
a spooky ghost robot frog posted:
AA: what d0 y0u want with the s0urce 0f the first guardians
AA: what g00d d0 y0u really think c0uld c0me 0f it
TT: Do you know about it?
TT: The sun?
AA: y0u cant p0ssibly wield its energy 0r put it t0 c0nstructive use
TT: That isn't exactly my plan.
AA: y0u w0nt find it either
AA: its imp0ssible

Foreshadowing :aaa:

Ha, good find, and I guess Jade sure proved Aradia wrong.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

This is probably an unanswerable question like with betaJohn, but would you think the Midnight Crew is in the dreambubbles? I mean, I wouldn't have thought so, because I don't think every character who dies ends up in a dreambubble, most carapace probably go to carapace heaven or whatever, but if WV has a dreambubble it's probably because he's an exile of a player, and you know the Midnight Crew were exiles of the trolls...

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Hussie also said Act 7 would be mostly comprised of flash pages, and you just know how much plot can get done in a single flash page. Unless plans changed that is, there should be plenty of story time left for any plot point like beating Lord English.

Also its pretty presumptuous to say Vriska's plot is done, only Hussie knows that.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

But why did Karkat think John would think he's a "shithead" for what he's done with Gamzee?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

But in the same conversation John accepted going on a date with a mass murderer.

posted:

EB: is something wrong?
CG: WHAT
EB: a while ago you talked to me and it sounded like you were in danger, and it sounds like some people died, but you never told me what happened!
EB: then i got distracted by a lot of crazy stuff.
CG: YEAH, SOMETHING IS WRONG
CG: OR, WAS.
CG: A BUNCH OF US DIED, THE END.
CG: I DON'T REALLY WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.
EB: oh.
EB: are you sure?
CG: YES, AND NOT JUST BECAUSE, OH, THE CLOCK IS RAPIDLY TICKING DOWN TO SOMETHING WE'RE CALLING THE CRITICAL MOMENT, AND NO, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS, SO CLOSE YOUR REEKING QUESTION GEYSER BEFORE IT ASKS.
EB: but, i'm your friend. aren't i?
CG: OH GOD.
EB: well?
CG: JOHN, I CAN'T HANDLE TALKING ABOUT IT, OK.
CG: I JUST GOT DONE
CG: UH
CG: DEALING WITH GAMZEE
CG: AND I'M FEELING PRETTY EMOTIONAL ABOUT IT. SO PLEASE, NO.
EB: who is gamzee?
CG: HE WAS MY BEST FRIEND.
EB: really? i thought terezi was your best friend.
EB: or wait, maybe she was your girlfriend, i forget...
CG: MY THINK PAN, IT HURTS
CG: IT IS PRESENTLY THREATENING TO MAKE ME ITS BITCH, JOHN. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?
CG: DO YOU WANT YOUR COOL ALIEN PAL TO BECOME THE BITCH OF A RAW, THROBBING THINK PAN?????
CG: SUCH IS THE SCENARIO BEFORE US.
EB: sorry, i don't mean to be nosy. i just want to know some things about your situation!
EB: i am concerned.
CG: GAMZEE WAS MY VERY GOOD FRIEND, WHO WAS THIS GOOFY LOVEABLE BULLSHIT CLOWN UNTIL HE WENT PSYCHO AND KILLED SOME PEOPLE. I LIKED HIM A LOT.
CG: I DON'T KNOW, I GUESS MY BEST FRIEND IS REALLY JUST THE GUY WHO I HAPPEN TO BE FEELING MOST SENTIMENTAL TO AT THE MOMENT, IS THAT A loving CRIME.
EB: heh, no.
EB: i think i know how you feel.
EB: so he killed some people... and then what?
CG: SO THEN I
EB: it's ok, you can tell me.
CG: JOHN, TRUST ME. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.
CG: IT'S JUST A TROLL THING, HUMANS WOULDN'T GET IT.
CG: YOU MIGHT THINK I WAS A poo poo HEAD, AND I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT NOW ON TOP OF EVERYTHING, SO LET'S DROP IT.
EB: hmm.
EB: ok, if you say so.
Its just, in hindsight it seems like this conversation doesn’t make much sense.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 29, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's why, ultimately, Terezi's attempts to reason with Vriska were doomed to fail--Vriska did not want to hear that she could possibly be responsible for anything bad, so her perfectly reasonable warning fell on deaf ears.

I don't think what Terezi did can count as trying to reason with Vriska. She went into that confrontation with the intent to kill, and the conversation was about manipulating Vriska into giving her a free shot.
Terezi might have honestly tried to reason with her if she didn't think Vriska had already gone full crazy and started a murder spree, and with Terezi’s expert manipulation powers she'd have probably succeeded in convincing Vriska to stop, but Gamzee had chucklevoodooed Terezi into believing bad evidence until too late to change the plan. So once Terezi found out Vriska hadn’t gone off the deep end the choice was still either kill Vriska or let her go. At least that’s how I interpret what happened. Because I think it's important that John was really the only person to honestly try to get Vriska to reconsider.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I liked this update, but can't help but think this would have been better as a page out of a Junji Ito comic, especially the parts where Lord English's arms and legs grew out of Doc Scratch's nubs.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

After the Exiles got their timeloops completed though they kind of stopped being connected to the greater story, and it's harder to connect when you really have no idea what their future is.

But that's what Hussie is doing. You're right, if the exiles plans had worked out they'd have just destroyed the capsules and lived happy lives rebuilding society. Their roles in the story would effectively be over. But by killing them, their lease in the story has been all over extended. So it’s a good thing, in a round about way (if you ignore all the death that is).

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So wait, what does this say about J?

Also, that's the best summer block buster, ever.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 11, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Dolash posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean? Are you saying Sollux will still stay with Karkat and crew? I think the only reason Sollux can exit the dreambubbles though is because he was half dead, and once they get there he'll be full dead, so he probably won't be able to leave the dreambubbles anymore.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

If we are to assume that the main character count is going to end up 4 - 4 - 4 for the value of symmetry, and the remaining living trolls are Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Aradia, and Gamzee, which female troll is going to be offed to balance it all out?

I guess Kanaya is already dead anyway.

Kanaya is like the only not d00med one of them though

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Well, let's not be so hasty - Aradia could view Equius just fine as his server player, so it's possible it's specifically First Guardian/Green Sun-powered omniscience that Void heroes aVoid, or other special types - or maybe just sinister types that mean them ill. UU could be something we don't expect!

Maybe the reason is Mom goes grimdark? That darkened the screens a few times.
Or maybe it has to do with how powers seem to be different depending on the title, like Seer of Light and Thief of Light seem to have slightly different powers. (Though, Void power already seemed tactically useless for the most part, how much more useless would it be it if just stopped friends from seeing you…)

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Bro is my new favourite player, it's like I'm reading Hussie's forumspring.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

haruspex posted:

Assuming this also leads me to the conclusion that Bro was talking to Jake while he was on the toilet.

Who takes off their shirt to take a dump?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Bro!!! Or Brobot anyway, I can't wait for his introduction. My current bet is Brobot will be Jake's prototyping after its had it’s heart ripped out of it. That'll be close enough to being dead right?

That hair kindof makes him look even more like a douche though, like he's raising one eyebrow like in all the dreamworks movies.

Also I'm a little disappointed so many of you took that Andrew comments as confirmation Gamzee won't get comeuppance for what he's done. Really, what do you expect Hussie to say when he's answering a question like that? Throw up the spoiler flags and announce what plot events will happen way in advance? Say "maybe he will maybe he won't" that's basically a confirmation.
But yeah, carefully parse what Hussie says, I don’t see any direct confirmation Gamzee will get off scot free, just implications, which everyone should know are as trustworthy as a Betty Crocker cake. Which is reasonably not very trustworthy at all.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

:raise: Are you mad that most of us don't give a poo poo? Did you write that question?

Yeah, if you're not actually going to reply to anything in my post and just say "~U mad~" then I'm just gonna take that as confirmation I'm right.

Gnome de plume posted:

He's totally getting his comeuppance. He has to sit in his time-out spot and think about what he's done.

In case you forgot, Gamzee is d00med.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Well, you may have a point that perhaps Gamzee's story isn't quite finished yet, but the point you're missing is that no one in this thread said anything to the contrary. I just thought Hussie's answer to the question was funny, that's all.

Huh, on review you're right, I guess in the rush to catch up on this thread some things got misinterpreted. Still, it's a sentiment I've encountered on other dumber forums, so you'll forgive me for jumping to conclusions. I just think its so silly when people take Hussie's forumspring answers as a good indication of what's going to happen. Like when Hussie said Noir plucked Davesprites feathers.

(Though I do think there is a chance Spade's Slick really is recuperating at Hussie's house...)

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Most important things first. gently caress. Yes. Brobunny.

MrBims posted:

Uh, no, sorry, Gamzee isn't going to get any 'comeuppance.' If he dies, it will be for reasons unrelated to what happened. Hussie isn't lying or kidding when he says there is a difference between a character arc and a series of jokes.

What a stupid thing to say. You don't know what's going to happen in the future of the comic, unless you're secretly Hussie. (Are you???)
Sure, when Gamzee dies it may just be some incidental thing; maybe he's hit by a meteor or whatever. The point I made was that Hussie's answer on Tumblr specifically didn't rule out Gamzee getting his narrative justice on. So yeah, Hussie isn't lying, he's a lawyer level wordsmith who knows how to manipulate his audience. You can pick apart his answer, and you'll find there is no commitment to Gamzee being saved. That's deliberate. These type of open-end answers lets him choose if he's kidding, or misdirecting you.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yes, clearly when Andrew answered that question with "who gives a gently caress" he was cleverly foreshadowing that someone would, in fact, give a gently caress. And it turned out to be true, because here you are handing out fucks left and right! Well played, Hussie.

I put that post through google translate and it came back "~U mad~". Listen, as with every issue in the story, I don't personally care about the event in it, I care about guessing right, that's all I'm interested in. It's like a game, I call it plot twister, I'm Vriska and Hussie's Doc Scratch, he always wins but I get close sometimes.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gamzee isn't getting comeuppance. He is a joke character, he has no story arc. He is a tool to make things happen for other characters to react to, nothing more.

Deal with it!!!!!!!!

The premise of this argument relies on the idea that minor characters are somehow exempt from scrutiny or plot progression. This fantastically absurd statement is really too obvious to properly rebuke. Lets just say... think of 100 other minor characters that had something happen to them in their story. Deal with it? (Whatever ever it is that so aggrieved you about the notion Gamzee wasn't done with the story I mean.)

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

standard owl posted:

The other trolls were also ready to romance the hell out of Gamzee (Kanaya as auspistice, Terezi as kismesis, and Sollux switching between red and black), so it's not really that they do or don't give shits about his murderspree. The poo poo is more like Gamzee is...currently really attractive to them or something? Trolls are just weird.

I think that was more them questioning what he and Karkat were supposed to be. At least, it'd be odd that Sollux wanted a new matesprite while wearing the goggles of his dead girlfriend, that's cold.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004303
Yeah, looking at this page. She tried being Vriska's auspice, then Vriska wanted her for morail while Kanaya wanted her as matesprite. Then they broke up because that didn't work. Then Kanaya cockblocked Eridan?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Bro log incoming in 3... 2... 1...

vvv http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/04253.gif
(are those doves?)

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 2, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I was just thinking about this. I'm not at all sure of the likelihood really, all I know is that I'd kill to get some copies of Hussie's works at a place like Powell's or something. Barnes and Noble seems like more of a stretch for some reason--I have seen them carrying Penny Arcade and Megatokyo books at one point or another though, so who knows?

Eh. If Cartoon Network it turning lovely youtube oranges into full fledged cartoons I'm sure a big publisher would be eager to get some of what Hussie's got.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I'm just going to take a moment to be a smug bastard and point out I was vindicated in thinking that trusting Hussie's fourmspring answer was unwise. Who cares Hussie? Apparently Kanaya.

Though personally I don't think Kanaya will be successful in her clown hunt.

I think the conclusion of this new plot twist will tie into "[s] All behold the glory of the Zillihoo". But really who knows at this point.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The first big problem is some of you think Hussie cares deeply about racism and thinks of it as something of great gravity. I think it's pretty obvious from his past works that Hussie is light-hearted when it comes to this issue and he is just pointing out the plain fact that everyone is a little racist.

So all this “Boo hoo hoo Hussie called me racist” smacks of a little disingenuous outrage to me, or stupidity if they're taking anything Hussie says 100% seriously.

But the meat of the subject matter is something Hussie is just being consistent with. He's said the characters were “aracial” from the start, and while you are free to all your headcanons, that's just that, headcanons. So if you really want to view it as a bunch of asians or Gamzee super tall someone else can't say, "It's a visual comic! My headcanon is superior".

No one is judging anyone for having the headcanon they're four white kids. Hussie isn't judging you.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

"They are only “indisputably” white because of the social and cultural associations you are making yourself, between the backgrounds and behaviors of these characters, and those you assign to white people as a general rule."

"And to actually get indignant at the suggestion that race is canonically non-applicable, because you think it’s JUST SO OBVIOUS all these kids are white? That’s the ugliness of bigotry surfacing. Bigotry not only blinds you to ways you are in error, but triggers an automated response of anger to differing points of view. And then you don’t even realize that’s what happened. It’s not a great way to be."

Nope, this is Hussie pulling out the "no it's you who are racist" card. Then when he gets called out calling Dave a white guy, he erases it and his fans defend it as some sort of meta joke. The characters are all obviously white. It's natural, hes writing what he knows.

I'm going to be fair let you digest his latest post and make any amendments if you want before I reply.

annatar posted:

This entire episode is disappointing, but just shows you can't expect every creator to be reliably good on social issues.

I hope someone he respects has a quiet word to him about privilege and 'colorblind' language.

You must be very new to this fandom if this is really the line you're drawing when it comes to social acceptability.
Did "huge bitch" just not concern you? Were Hussie's Wizardology books inoffensive? I'm just curious why this incident is the one you think he needs a talking to about?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

annatar posted:

As far as I know this is the first time he's directly and agressively expressed an opinion about this sort of thing in his work, my general impression was that he'd been ok in the past but now it's obvious that he has a weird blindspot on race in his comic.

The only new opinion I've seen Hussie express today is that he feels people who think the kids could not be anything other than white are racist. That's a pretty reasonable stance.
Personally my headcanon is all the kids are white. Is Hussie saying I'm racist? No. He's talking about people who are intolerant to other people’s ideas about who the players are.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

No, I don't agree with that. I don't believe it would be culturally impossible or even improbable for anyone black/asian/Caucasian/etc to fit the circumstances of any of the houses in the comic. What's wrong with thinking Jade being not white? She grew up on an island, what experience does she even have with other people, let alone cultures?

annatar posted:

He's drawn all of them white for three years without comment - four of the kids are blonde.

Except for the same commentary that he has had all along, which is they are “aracial”. This is not a new position.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Aracial means absolutely nothing. There is not a single human character anywhere that is aracial.

Please don't treat race like it is something that can just be ignored.

When it is not an important factor to the story it is something that can be ignored.
"Aracial" means the reader can believe the characters in the story are whatever the ethnicity they think of them as. There is canon no defined race (Note, I'm note saying Hussie did a very good job and writing this irrelevant faccet of the story (to be fair this is a work longer that most great novels and I’ve only seen two possible slip ups)).
If you dispute these characters are aracial you'll have to convince people that these characters in the story could not have the ethnicity of any other race but Caucasian. I think you'll have a tough sell; it’s a stretch of the imagination to think of them as black, but no way impossible.