Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

But we only have Hussie's word that they are a-racial, which isn't really backed up by their depictions. They all have light skin and Dave and Rose have light hair. Nobodies going to look at them and think, "oh, they are abstract representations that could be of any racial background", they're going to think that they're white. Especially when the actual black people in homestuck are brown. If you add in their backgrounds and characterization the overwhelming interpretation is white people in white culture (or a white person's interpretation of black culture).

Like Rose and Mom have a very upper-class, WASP type set-up going. Now, some people may draw a connection to the Chinese 'Tiger-mom' idea or whatever it is, and that's valid, but then its revealed that they are natural blondes and an explicit parallel is drawn between them and two white movie characters. At that point really the only way you could consider them non-white is to ignore the source material, which is totally unreasonable for Hussie to expect.

Well, I have met people who've chosen to think of John and Jade as asian, not my thing, but who are we to say they're wrong.

We both agree that Dave is blond yes? I don't believe that's ever been explicitly stated in the story. I know at the time when Hussie canonized it it hadn't. If we were to go by the literal view in the story one would conclude Dave has white hair.
Hussie hasn't said that's wrong for you to think that way, but as the author he's decided that Dave is blond. If you accept that, and that Kanaya is a troll lesbian, then it doesn’t seem like a stretch to accept his canon on the kids ethnicities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

So in those cases we're taking Hussie's word, but its only a confirmation of what we already knew/suspected.

Sockser was right about blond hair Dave being a very controversial choice. It at the time red hair Dave had been almost universally adopted. Like the current headcanon of Gamzee being tallest.
This is a similarly controversial, but not logically impossible, idea that Hussie has endorsed all along.

Yes, traditional media would cast these characters with white rolls. Also I acknowledge they are living in western, traditionally white households.
It’s very reasonable to conclude they’re white. But, when you know the abstract nature of this comic, one where white hair is blond and it is not a 1:1 parallel with earth. How anyone could object to this “aracial” notion? It doesn’t prevent anyone from viewing the characters as they like; it only opens the possibilities, which is more interesting.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Aranea is the best thing to happen to this comic in a long time and the best outcome that tragically won't happen would be for her plan to come to a complete success.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I believe when Hussie told Caliborn that Gamzee has never died in any timeline he was lying, or joking as he would put it.

Yeah, we may not have seen any dead Gamzee's in the dreambubbles, but absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. I mean there was no Meenah's in the dreambubbles until recently, just because of weird time poo poo. Doesn't mean there is any less dead alt timeline Meenahs than anyone else.

As for why he isn't dying when subject to physical violence? It can easily be explained via some as yet unseen magical plot device.
Maybe he's wearing the Ring of Life on his cock.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I know this is a long shot but I kinda hope stealing Aranea's soul from her body while wearing the ring sort of ascends her to lichdom.

Like, a living soul (like original ghost Aradia) doesn't have any personality or emotions.
Maybe a living body without a soul doesn't have any ethics, morals or kindness.

Then again I've just been reading too much Junji Ito.