Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Well, that explains what sent Noir over the god drat edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Saw the whole thing.

Wow

I'm not even going to spoiler block my thoughts on specifics. it's something everyone needs to watch for themselves.

Just, loving Wow.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

SPOILERS AHOY! Gamzee typing in "SUCKERS", with the expanding ball of green fire? Yeah, the players got coerced into initially Creating The Green Sun.

And yes, Jade's feats in this flash after her ascension are what you would Genuinely Expect from an omnipotent deity with absolute control over Space.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

So, yeah, So far, everything's gone according to Lord English's Grand Plan... but the Alpha Timeline is over, he's been summoned, and there are four new deities risen to stand in his way, with the core of their powers preserved.

It does seem clear that Aradia's been working with his interests all along though, so she's almost certainly going to be an enemy later on.

And I'm pretty sure I called the whole "The whole big thing Scratch has been running has been a sham from day one. The Green Sun will continue to exist beyond the Critical Moment, and this whole routine is just to let his master propagate" a while back, which is nice to see I predicted it :)

Yeah though, the Final Boss has finally risen. I hope the Trolls manage to find some way of keeping up with the Kids though.

Time for Act 6! GSLE, an entire multi-hundred page segment dedicated to a single boss fight. You know it's going to happen

Alectai fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 25, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Silva posted:

Scratch is a lier, huh? Knew it all along. Don't ever trust anyone who says "I never lie", that's usually the first lie they tell you.

MORE SPOILERCHAT

He has lied, several times, it's just everyone was tricked by his charisma and him handwaving it as a whole "Oh, I never /Lied/, I just let someone else do it for me". He always had an answer whenever someone pointed out his bullshit, and everyone figured "Eh, it must just be his nature not to lie".

Unfortunately, the best liar is the one who saves the deception for the Critical Moment, and the hints the Kids got towards it weren't heeded by most, or deflected by various Agents. The only one who seemed to realize that they were being tricked was Jade, which is why she set up the situation the way she did and kept everyone out of the loop.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

One question remains: where did Jade take John and the planets + battlefield? It's not necessarily the green sun.

She Took him to whatever Hussie had set on the other Fourth Wall. That's how he's getting his passive intervention in, by making sure they get to the Right Place at the Right Time

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Forer posted:

So wait. Dog tier shrank the Lohac and brought it along through the fourth wall... The thing that contains the mechanism for resetting the universe and is either active or about to activate or something

What?

The Beat Mesa detatched and was headed for Skaia, it wasn't on LOHAC anymore by that time.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Surprisingly, the scratch itself got very little screentime in the flash. Almost felt incidental to everything else. Ideally it should reset the universe and spawn a new Sburb session, but how can that really happen with Bilious Slick presumably dead? Will the completion of the scratch after Jade/John and the planets left simply reset that particular incipisphere? Meaning we'd have a Sburb session with no corresponding universe? Or is Bilious Slick still partially alive, and much of the coming drama will be winning before he dies for good?

That might explain why Jade's been making the Genesis Frog in spite of the session being null, and why she brought all five planets instead of just the four that she was obliged to take. To recreate the universe once Lord English has been dealt with.

Honestly, I'll be very surprised if any real length of time was spent on the new session, half the cast are gods now, and the rest are aliens who are just a step below that. The big drama is going to be focused on the defeat of Lord English and the Green Sun, given how the "Universe Color-Code" for Act Six is green (Which also implies they might physically enter it for the space of the Act?)

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Actually, they've got a good out for Vriska to show up alive and well based on Hussie's explanation of what was going on.

Long story short, The Green Sun would have ignited and quickly propagated across Paradox Space as we all know, with anyone who was watching for it able to follow the path it's ignition would have revealed straight to it's current position, which is outside the normal boundaries of time and space. Assuming Vriska managed to defeat Bec Noir (As Scratch hints is plausible enough that he wouldn't bet against her), there's no reason she Wouldn't do everything in her power to catch up there--after all, the only living being left that she cares for is going to be there, right?

So she watches for the Sun's light to reach, and follows it, showing up probably as Karkat's trying to come up with a delicate way of letting John know what happened.

Besides, it'd fit the whole symmetry thing (Alpha Vriska gets her d8 with Beta John, and Beta Vriska gets to have her d8 with Alpha John), and it's actually something that could happen based on the way the setting works, since a place outside time and space isn't going to be chained by poo poo like the Alpha/Beta Timeline thing, especially since the Alpha Timeline is "Over" with the Green Sun's genesis.

And since when the gently caress has Hussie ever done an interlude that turned out to be meaningless? He likes fake-outs, but he never spends lengthy tangents on something that turns out to be entirely pointless. Especially when he was already compressing things down and cutting out sidelines.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't say it was likely, just that it was plausible, there was still a good fifteen, twenty minutes between the start of Vriska vs Noir and the Critical Moment.

It's a plausible out, doesn't mean Hussie is going to take it, just that "Vriska showing up while Karkat is agonizing over how to explain to John that his Troll Alien Friendmentor got backstabbed" is completely within his style, and requires no real rear end-pulling to justify it either.

With that said, Beta Jack Noir wasn't going to be looking for the flare, and Hussie Did say that leaving immediately after seeing it was the only way to take that "Straight Line".

Alectai fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 29, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yep. As Hussie mentioned, that window of opportunity is the only thing that makes this theory possible.

If you're going by that perspective, then the Trolls are doomed to fail, because they're just riding an asteroid in, propelled by one of their friends (Who was already dying pretty loving fast from the strain, and would in no way manage to push the silly thing far enough and fast enough unless the route itself was pretty short as long as you had the beacon)

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Well there you go. If Beta Vriska turns out to be important later on, then she'll show up at precisely the point plot demands, and there's enough groundwork that it won't be completely out of left field.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Well, at least the top one has a demonic skullface (also I think it's goon-made.)

Just completely lost it at LORDU ENGURISU at the bottom, though. He's just like something out of one of my Japanese animes :swoon:

Yeah, top one's actually not far off from what the real one turned out to be--an ugly green motherfucker who fits inside an enormous coat

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

creationist believer posted:

No, Zillyhoo costs a zillion of whatever that grist is.

Actually, the Warhammer of Zillyhoo costs exactly one unit of "Zillion" Grist :P

Note how the only one or two times we've seen that icon in a Grist Pile are with these catastrophically huge stockpiles, and they're always singular.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 3, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

I think I'm definitely going with HE IS ALREADY HERE on this one. The theory that the pre-scratch kids went to the post-scratch universe and vice versa makes too much sense, and if that's true his calling card glitch is already in place. And we certainly seem to have some evidence of his handiwork in Jake and Betty Crocker.

I'm pretty sure I know why a "Glitched Session" is unwinnable at any rate, there's a lot of implication that we're dealing with a Life/Hope/Heart/Void team in this group.

Which means that there is no Space Player, which means the means for creating a Genesis Frog aren't present, and that there is no Time Player, which means that there's nobody to prepare a do-over if things go wrong. And Sburb is incredibly difficult even with a time-traveller keeping you out of the worst fuckups.

I mean, think about it for a bit, we already know that the game adapts itself to the culture of whatever race participates in. So how could you have a game that you can't beat? And that Doc Scratch used the term "Glitch" to describe it, as opposed to describing some kind of personal failure on their part which allowed it.

A glitch that ensures that a critical event flag can never be triggered (Breed the Genesis Frog) would very much make a game unwinnable. Even if you beat the Black King, the actual ending can never happen. And if the other "Critical Player" is also on the wrong end of a Scratch, then the normal Fuckup Recovery button is nowhere to be found.

An Ironman Mode game that can't be beaten by it's very nature, it's no real surprise that the Troll Ancestors Scratched their session.

So the only way to cut off the chain is to have the Time and Space players rejoin the post-scratch Session, and complete it before a third reversal can occur (Which means that Lord English has already won). Which makes Jade bringing their planets and the Battlefield significant, since she's also bringing all of the tools necessary to create and nurture a Genesis Frog along with her.

tl;dr: The Lord English Glitch is "You don't have the tools to make a Genesis Frog", and pointing out the "You weren't created in that session!" was a red-herring. True, but completely meaningless in it's proper context. He hasn't won yet, but he's basically entered the victory lap at this point, and it'd take a completely unexpected shift to make him lose.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 13, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

Since I seemed to miss it, how exactly did the Condesce get to Earth the first time around?

Shenanigans!

Which should be the correct response to any inexplicable plot detail

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Well, UU is certainly... Something, probably from the next universe (Where things finally start going right for a change).

That's just seriously an optimistic character, what the hell?

UU's handle is interestin though, just based on the whole "Uranium" part of their handle, and the fact that an Umbra is the part of a planetary shadow where a star's light can't reach

So, basically, their handle is "The Green Sun isn't relevant here!", given Uranium (And general radioactivity)'s association with it.

Also, Bro confirmed for Hero of Heart? (Given that it's the only title left untaken by a living person) Awesome.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 15, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Whole world I imagine, it would explain why nobody realizes that she's an alien, and why she has what amounts to global domination.

And I know this is a fake-out, probably one of the other two GuardianKids logging in, rather then her noticing the subliminal stuff.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Not to mention when it's supposedly repeating itself, it changes words around.

My God, Bro is Equius with Sollux's computer wizardry :o

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

So, a few things I did note about UU's appearance...

The Sufferer's Sign didn't exist until after his death, and it was always grey--and taken from the execution tool used to kill him in the first place.

Plus, this half-cuff version was a bright red. I think we can either assume Hussie's going to retcon a few details, or this is not some kind of Mobius Reacharound and that we're talking to a young Sufferer.

Plus, while we may assume the horns are "Stupid Fantroll Stuff" (And they are), they also are shaped vaguely like the "Snakes" on her own Sign, put upside-down.

So yeah, UU's probably from the next universe, however that works out.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

True enough

If there's any such thing as a glitch that can bypass his immortality, it's a being that killed his own universe, while inside said universe, not dying along with it.

Which means that Slick is going to show LE his stabs, and that ends LE for that universe, right up until the cycle restarts again.

Because it would be totally fitting if the guy who's this big ominous, omnipotent villain, winds up getting offed by a half-dead thug with a knife :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Nah, he's actually going to land on and kill Jane.

Because he needs to eventually go and raise Caliborn/Caliope, and that's not going to happen if they never exist.

And Jane dying is very much going to be a Not As Planned moment.

In short, in this case, Gamzee is the Alpha Timeline reasserting it's dominance in spite of manipulations.