Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Woo, it's nearly back! I've been sitting on a bunch of speculation for weeks. Spec-dump time.

zanmatto posted:

I'm still curious as to what exactly this flash is going to consist of! I mean, he just worked on it for such a long time. It's gotta be something amazing. Unless it's not.
Well, there seems to be a lot of ground to cover.

John's got to make the Scratch. It has to happen because Future Jack is set to destroy the Kids' universe at its inception anyway. Gotta save the universe by destroying it before the villain does... Biggest question is, how does he survive being at the epicentre of this whole thing? Presumably this ties into whatever Jade is planning.

Jade... well, there are plenty of gaps in our knowledge of what Jade's plan to save everyone is. Perhaps for the best. After all, from a metafiction point of view, the more you know about a plan in advance, the more likely it is to fail, because there's no point in seeing the same thing twice. We know it involves the Fourth Wall and the Yellow Yard, the Exiles in some capacity (since the Fourth Wall is trained on that Bec-head base - presumably this explains why WQ wants to blow up the bases), and a fully-upgraded Genesis Frog. Jade's also made a pact with Echidna to try and save not just the Kids, but also all the Denizens and Consorts and stuff. Present Jack may yet throw a spanner in the works, though.

Next, Rose, Dave and Aradia in Green Sun and Dream Bubble shenanigans. Rose was going to go off and sacrifice herself while blowing up the Green Sun, but she's been interrupted by Draconian Dignitary. Dave, who got "killed out" of that dream by DD, is flying off after them. There are a few outstanding issues concerning Rose: Scratch's declaration that she has a 50% probability of going godtier. Speculation: DD critically injures Rose, but Dave and Aradia arrive in time to get her to the "spare quest beds" in the middle of the moon*. Would dying in the explosion the Green Sun be Heroic, Just or neither? We may find out. There's also this business of Rose wanting Dave to give a message to John, conveniently interrupted by DD's arrival.

Then we have the Exiles: blowing up the bases seems to have some sort of connection to Jade's plan... but WV's trapped in one of them! And apparently too dumb to try wearing the ring. And asleep. Don't really have any ideas here, although

quote:

Personally I think it's going to have something to do with Wayward Vagabond, the ring, the piece of uranium he ate, some time fuckery, and the green sun.
may well be the case.

And then there's Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Sollux and Gamzee. Although as far as I know, their job now is "wait for Green Sun explosion, then head towards it". Something else could still come up though. e: *rereads* Oh. According to Aradia, Sollux is going to die. Forgot about that.

Finally: what will the new "Earth Universe" be like? Will it have a Doc Scratch, and, as a result, will it be considerably nastier than the old Earth? Where does Betty Crocker/the Troll Empress fit in to it all? She replaced Aradiancestor as Lord English's "handmaiden": will someone replace her?

______
* I can't quite remember, but I sure hope those spare quest beds are in the middle of Prospit and Derse's moons rather than Prospit and Derse themselves, or this all falls apart.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Roger Explosion posted:

How can Rose go godtier without a dreamself though?
She's got a dreamself. That is to say, she is one.

Granted, her original self is already dead. But that didn't stop Aradia.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It's unclear how that'll work exactly, but there's a god of space on one end, and on the other end there's two gods of time and a normal high-level space player. They'll figure something out if they have to.
Getting Rose and Dave back to John and Jade may well be the thing Aradia said she would have to help them with.

Amazing stuff. Watched the recording of the stream, only understood half of it, read the thread here and the one on the MSPA forum to understand the rest, and then downloaded the flash to appreciate it fully. Good to have it back.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 25, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

dumb brunette posted:

13-year-old Dad :3: 13-year-old Mom!! :3:

I wouldn't be surprised to see this but I think it would make Hussie's rabid fans so angry. (Which means it could definitely happen.)
Not so sure about Dad since he's not a paradox clone (maybe he'll be exactly the same?), but 13-year-old Mom, Bro, Grandpa and Nanna are definite possibilities.

A science-obsessed 13yo Mom rebelling against her occultist mother, and "our" Rose's reaction to that, would be one of the funniest things possible.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

FewtureMD posted:

Goddamn, I love Rose's God Tier design. Having a Seer who can't see is always an interesting theme. That's also why Terezi is one of my favorite trolls.
Yeah, I was pretty sure that at some point Rose would be getting an outfit that covered her eyes somehow (although I was thinking more another one of those pink scarf/waistband things, but for round her eyes). The "blindness is a mark of a true seer" thing has been rattling around in my head for a while. It's very cool.

Renaissance Robot posted:

My favourite implication: with Dave and Rose alive, and their planets safe as well, they could go back and finish their personal quests. :unsmith:
Agreed, really hope that if it doesn't crop up in Act 6 then it appears as part of Act 7's denoument. And don't forget John, he's still got to clear the clouds around LoWaS. Jade may well have got her duties done offscreen, though.

quote:

e/ Did we ever see Jade actually get the final frog that Echidna showed her? Last I saw she was still puzzling over how to get it.
Yeah, pretty sure she did it with the ectobiology targetting thing during a chat with Karkat and Kanaya.

Baron La Croix posted:

I like the way that everything's turned out for the best and the worst simultaneously. Only in Homestuck.
It's brilliantly done, really. There's both a cathartic sense of triumph and relief in that the Kids got out of there alive (and all with godtier to boot!), mixed with the tragedy of most of the Exiles dying, and there's still the worrying aspect of them all playing into the main villain's hands, and his master plan ticking along smoothly. Plus it's a natural way to raise the challenge at the same time that the heroes' powers are growing.

Roll on Act 6.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 25, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Snollygoster posted:

I'm re-reading Act 5 and could you guys help me with something?

How is Kanaya a vampire

I've been decent at keeping up with the story so far but that plot point just sailed right over my head. Does Homestuck ever say "Kanaya is vampire because _______" or do we just have fan speculation like, the Knight of Blood kissed her so she is an alien dracula now?
We don't know the direct causation. She does have a love of "rainbow drinker" novels, so it was foreshadowed and is thematically appropriate. But as for the mechanics in play here, no idea. Might be the Knight of Blood kiss, might just be a thing that happens to those few trolls who can withstand the harsh Alternian sun. And of course, it might be the result of a semi-mythological group of beings latching on to her, the same way that the Horrorterrors did with Rose and the angels did with Eridan.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 25, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tengames posted:

oh yeah huh that's a pretty good flash I guess but more importantly why the gently caress is spider's claw not in album 8? I guess ill just have to settle for all these other awesome songs instead.
Hey, I'm still waiting for Gardener...

*suddenly has a brainwave* It'll be on the new Vols 1-4 album, won't it.

*checks* Yep. And I already have those four albums. Well, there's a dilemma.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 25, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Eh, I'll take the "innocent until proven guilty" option re Aradia. Doubly so for Rose. Trebly so for Dave.

And if by some chance Rose and Dave did end up getting turned into LE's stooges, that wouldn't last long once they meet back up with John and Jade. The combined cheerfulness assault would surely soften any heart.

Out of curiosity, I wonder when Act 6 will start up? Hussie probably needs to do a lot of planning to organise what I presume will be the "new Kids" and their session. But it's possible that he's done that planning already. Thoughts?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oxxidation posted:

Ahahaha, I just realized. John's trip through the fourth wall with Jade is the first time he's ever met her in person. Talk about a first impression.

"Hello John! Don't worry, I just teleported you across the universe. And I died but came back to life and also I am part dog. Now let's fly through a magic science dimension window while I juggle planets bark bark bark"
Good job he's got a pretty tremendous capacity to roll with stuff like this. After all he's been through today, this is probably the next logical step (Hope we get a chance to see them talk in person. Either in a Flash conversation or a pesterlog. Jade's part-sprite now, right? Enough grounds for a spritelog?)

Also I'm glad Andrew explained why Aradia's "quest crypt" was isolated while Rose and Dave's were next to each other, and why Aradia's was in Derse but Rose and Dave's were in Derse's moon. The latter thing in particular puzzled me - I kinda predicted that Rose and Dave would use the "quest crypts" to go godtier (about the only thing I did predict in this Flash), but it was nagging me how I seemed to remember Aradia going godtier on Derse rather than its moon. That's cleared up, now.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bobulus posted:

John can't really met anyone so far, until now:

- Jade was dead the first time.
- Rose was possessed by the horrorterrors or whatever and couldn't talk.
- Somehow hasn't run into any of the eleven iterations (plus Davesprite and doomed Daves) of Dave that were running around.

Poor guy.
That and the first time he met up with Rose, she was asleep and woke up too late to meet him.

While I certainly want to see the new set of Kids introduced, I also definitely want to keep following what the "main" Kids and Trolls are up to. There's a lot of personal and social interaction still up in the air with all of them, even if they are "overpowered" for this new session (New Game Plus?).

I guess ideally I'd want to see the introduction of the new characters interleaved with the continuing adventures and conversations of the old ones. That was something that frustrated me about Hivebent, spending so long away from the characters I'd got used to. In hindsight I see why Hivebent had to happen the way it did, but I'd hope that it wouldn't have to happen the same way this time.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've been having a think on how Rose and Dave's godtier powers are likely to manifest themselves (as we have a pretty good idea of the crazy stuff John and Jade can pull with theirs). I've had trouble putting one together for Dave (since Karkat was too busy leading the Trolls to work on the true meaning of his role as a Knight), but I reckon I've made decent headway with Rose. Maybe someone else could try doing one for Dave?

Rose is the Seer of Light. Let's start with Seer, in particular Doc Scratch's analysis of what makes a true Seer. A Seer's job is to be their team's strategist and analyst, and to make the right moves at the right time to achieve their long-term goals. This is something Rose has struggled with so far, gamely at times, but at other times outright fighting against her prescribed role: she's been stuck between fighting fate and trying to use it work out what to do, and as such has fallen between two stools.

Rose's "role model" for Seering is Terezi, although not using the same methods: as a Seer of Mind, Terezi derives her seer abilities from psychology, using her knowledge of how people think and react to predict "if... then" scenarios. Rose is the Seer of Light, so although her "class" is the same as Terezi's, her "domain" is Vriska's. Light in the comic seems to manifest in the form of fate and luck: as the Thief of Light, Vriska stole it from others. Rose probably won't be able to steal luck or just be plain lucky because she's not a Thief. But luck and fate certainly have applications for a Seer.

So Rose should end up with Terezi's prediction powers, but based on fate rather than psychology: my guess is she'll now have an intuitive grasp of the alpha timeline and how to stick to it (and hopefully use it to everyone's advantage), rather than worrying about the right thing to do. Though saying that, post-Scratch who knows whether the alpha timeline is still a relevant thing.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 27, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Boneless Jogger posted:

I'm thinking something like this too. Back in the Intermission, there was a part where it said Lord English could only be defeated by glitches in spacetime, and I just keep thinking back to that.
Thinking about it, a good way to start looking for said glitches in spacetime might be to do precisely what the Kids have just done: escape the Scratch as god tiers and so end up in what is arguably a "new game plus" for them. After all, starting a fresh game with all the extra abilities gained from a completed one is a good recipe for sequence breaking.

And you have to wonder how Paradox Space is going to justify something like this. The Kids are now an anomaly, something that shouldn't exist... but here they are. Maybe that's their lever.

There's still a long way to go from here, but it feels like a starting point.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A good poster posted:

Now that all the characters are in groups, we may finally get conversations of people actually talking to each other without using Pesterchum or Trollian, without sprites being involved, and outside of flash animations. That doesn't sound special, but the comic's always avoided it before.
Given Jade is part-sprite now, any conversation involving her could arguably be classed as a spritelog.

Regarding "the windy thing seems pretty weaksauce now", one other angle could be that John's powers are chaotic in nature as opposed to the orderly connotations of Light, Time and Space. Which may give him more of an edge when it comes to dealing with the very orderly Lord English. This may tie in to John being the only Kid to have no real connection with the Green Sun, perhaps leaving him less vulnerable to LE. Maybe. I dunno.

Either way, John doesn't seem to be the type to worry about being outclassed. He still has pretty cool powers, now his friends have them too, and if it all helps to save the day then who cares about which of them is the most powerful?

Anyway, favourite stuff:

Easy Mode: [S] Enter. The full version of Sburban Jungle, first use of Hero Mode, first time the lack of a "name" in the command was used to imply that multiple characters were following the command, all four Kids involved in a Flash, and STRIIIIIIDEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!! Probably the moment when I went "holy poo poo, we've got something amazing on our hands here".

Hard Mode: John: Explore lab and the three pages afterwards. Just John being derpy and confused, but "Now what in the hell is going on in here" is brilliantly phrased.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

King of Solomon posted:

Who knows if our/their ideas of heroism/justice even matter? It's entirely likely that it's just the universe (or the game) deciding what is just and/or heroic.
Which in turn is just one of a bunch of metaphysical questions surrounding the game, and godtier players in particular.

The game is a method for making new universes, but why does it take the form it does, enlisting teams of coming-of-age children and various motifs? Is godtier just be a special bonus for players who can find their beds and are prepared to die, or does it have some deeper meaning for the multiverse?

Granted this is stuff that might never be answered, or might not even have a proper answer. Back in the real world, there are plenty of "why" questions like that. From an outside perspective, you can say "this stuff happens because that's the story Andrew Hussie wanted to write" and that's fair enough. But I'm still hoping for an in-universe explanation. For the extra credit.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I keep telling myself that this is stupid and Andrew's already announced that from here on out things are going to be rapidly wrapping up and there's no way he'd digress into trying to flesh out another twelve far-background characters. But I can't make myself believe it.
To be fair, this time it would only be four and in a sense we'd have already met them. And it'd probably be easier to integrate sections featuring characters we already know into the shenanigans.

And for some reason I now have the following in my head: "Your name is J___. You are currently standing by the FOURTH WALL in your late GRANDMOTHER's laboratory. It is your ELEVENTH BIRTHDAY, and you are awaiting the arrival of two VERY SPECIAL GUESTS."

That or John and Jade burst out of the Fourth Wall while it's still a part of New Jack Noir's cubicle on Derse, knocking him out. It'd be one less problem for everyone to deal with, at least.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nonbaka posted:

It's weird, but actually seeing him took that edge off. Sure, he's a horrifying monster, but not as horrifying as I had imagined him.
This is basically true of every previously-unseen monster in fiction ever. Sorry, but even Andrew Hussie's not going to overcome that rule.

Still, as such reveals go, I thought that was pretty well done. I wasn't expecting LE to be as hulkish as he is either... but for me, the fact that I wasn't expecting that made it more effective.

quote:

Wait. Have we seen that clock before? Because I think we have, and that's amazing.
Pretty sure it's also the same clock that was used for displaying the judgements of John and Vriska's godtier deaths.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 2, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

The Jigsaw comparison makes me wonder if there's anything more to this page http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002470:ohdear:

(most likely not)
Well, it was a frog puppet... :tinfoil:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

YggiDee posted:

Ahhh, probably. I'm just endlessly amused at the idea of some CEO requesting increasingly insane Pesterchum features, and the programmers delivering in some sort of bizarre one-upmanship.
Trollian and Pesterchum were the brainchild of Cave Johnson. It all makes sense.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Honestly, I didn't have much trouble deciphering he Troll pesterlogs at first and now I can read them like they're a second language. Are people really having that much trouble with them? It doesn't seem particularly hard to pick up to me.

Maybe it has to do with how certain people's brains work.
Sometimes it's not so much how tricky the are to read as just the annoying mental dissonance they produce. Kanaya, for instance, is fairly easy to read, but inside my head she sounds like a Dalek. That or this one seven-year-old kid who posted for a while on a forum I visit.

Didn't help either that I spent most of Hivebent missing the Kids.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff as successful franchise with a live action movie is amazing though.
Well, it would be the logical conclusion of alt-Dave being a Guardian.

A bunch of callbacks to [S] ACT 5 ACT 2 in there. The use of "Homestuck Anthem" as a remix of "Homestuck", the opening shots zooming in on John/Jane's house (with the contrasting spring/autumn colours), the ending shot with Jane looking into the sky using the same pose as Karkat at the end of [S] A5A2. Nicely done indeed.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kazy posted:

I thought Nanna would be John's granddaughter, not Jade's. Though I guess they would be ectobiologically related enough to switch. But honestly I don't really get why they would switch.
Well, some of the posters on her walls (the blue guys with moustaches in particular) have got "Happy Birthday!" scrawled on them in green. So I'd guess they're from J, therefore Jane isn't J. So alt-John can easily be Nanna's grandfather.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Isn't that the bunny dressed up as Problem Sleuth on Jane's bed?
Well, it's not like we're not used to seeing multiple simultaneous devastating deep strikes instances of the same bunny already in this comic. Jane's thirteenth birthday presumably went without mishap.

quote:

It's a call back to http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001982 too.
Sweet catch!

quote:

The flash animation does imply the green letter and bunny are in Jane's house. There's no establishing shot to change the location.
The handguns kind of imply a change of location, unless you reckon those are Jane's too.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PikaPuff posted:

As much as I hate the idea of not everyone post scratch being human, I'll just make the guess that jade's human, and the other three are troll, white carapace, and black carapace. Or human, troll, carapace, and felt.
Alternatively, Jane thinks she's a troll. After all, if her great-grandmother is the Condesce, then...?

There's probably at least some misdirection in here though, in the same way that Karkat thought he was going to play a game with 5 other friends, rather than 11.

Certainly the Frog Temple looks like it has more than 4 (presumably 8) towers surrounding it: of the three towers we can see, the two side towers look "further back" than the temple itself.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

If Jane uses spoonKind, maybe she'll be the Bard of X.

... sorry, sorry.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pastrymancy posted:

I can't wait to see Jane's Showtime remix. Or Bro's version of Beatdown.
Maybe we need to find some way to mix Showtime and Nannaquin together.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Lupus Rufus posted:

It seems that the artifacts the kids rode with in their baby meteors are appearing in this universe though: Jane's rabbit (which I suspect is the one Jade came with) and John's joke book are both present. This leaves one question: where are John and Jade?
A macabre answer for sure, but given what happened to Nanna and Grandpa in the pre-Scratch universe, "in an urn" and "stuffed and mounted" might answer that question.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

My guess is that alt-Bro grew up wearing Ben Stiller shades just like his guardian alt-Dave, until Jane gave him pointy anime shades for his 13th birthday...

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Hahaha. I'm betting this means Betty Crocker is still an evil genocidal alien tyrant.
She does at least appear to be a subtler evil genocidal alien tyrant.

"STAY ASLEEP" is a curious one. What's so heinous/advantagious to Ms. Crocker about sleep?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'll agree that Jane seems a bit off. It's an artifact of the huge amount of backstory that's piled up in Homestuck so far, and Hussie using it for dramatic irony, but she just comes across as a bit... smug, I guess? Granted we've yet to see how she reacts when her worldview is challenged, as it presumably will be pretty soon. Doesn't help that Nanna got the least character detailling of the four pre-scratch ancestors (ironically despite being the only one to get dialogue). Jake's pretty fun though, and I'm eagerly anticipating alt-Mom and alt-Bro.

Either way, it's only been four days, so we've hardly had time to warm up yet.

e: on typing styles: Jake's quirk breaks down as:

* Capitalises the first word of sentences, but no others (so if "i" or "jane" or whatever appears in the middle of a sentence, it goes uncapitalised)
* Uses punctuation to end sentences, but nowhere else (i.e. no commas or apostrophes)
* *expresses actions by surrounding them with asterisks*
* Mixes old-fashioned terms with swearing.

For me it gives off a very "pulp action hero" vibe, fast-paced and staccato, with some ADHD added for good measure.

Jane's typing style is pretty much grammatically correct, but with more exclamations than, say, Rose. And more old-timeyness.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 14, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Slime posted:

Maybe it's John who gave him the weapons, and he has access to those weapons because he got them from the bunny.

Time fuckery again.
It might even be alt-Bro. After all, Jake needs to talk to him about something concerning the bunny.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Roger Explosion posted:

Edit: this uranianUmbra is oddly Commonwealth in the way she types.
All the better to add Us into her dialogue.

Still, it's a nice change to see a mysterious entity get immediately introduced as being on the heroes' side.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Roger Explosion posted:

But if she's from an English-free universe and starting another session, doesn't that mean they're just about to make another universe? That would be such a shitload of universes!
Well, we've still got that perfect Genesis Tadpole lying around. At least, assuming it getting dropped into the volcano turns out to be a good thing (because it's the incubator) rather than the punchline to a shaggy dog story.

It does also seem like a good way to escape Lord English's influence. My guess is that English's game plan is based on a kind of flawed symbiosis with paradox space: he (via Doc Scratch) makes universes that are flawed "good enough" to spawn new ones by making the societies within them more violent and competitive. But then he eats the universe afterwards. Maybe a perfect universe, one that could produce a society that could beat SBurb and be a nice place to live - and crucially, not have to rely on Lord English - is the ultimate way to win.

annatar posted:

Uranian is a extraordinarily loaded term that can mean someone from Uranus (therefore a generic alien) or a very archaic term for a transexual http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranian
Oh hey, sweet catch.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 15, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

uU posted:

a wee bit more troUble
Great, now I can't stop imagining that uU sounds like (s)he comes from Edinburgh.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

quote:

UU: remember what i said aboUt the need for patience.
UU: patience with yoUr friends.
UU: patience for yoUr growth as a hero of life.
UU: and patience for the coming of the other foUr of legend.
A subtle dig at all of us who want to get to the reveal of kid-Mom and kid-Bro, and the return of John, Jade, Rose and Dave? ;)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 15, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just realised something: "Poppop" John followed in the footsteps of his own comedian grandfather because in this universe, Colonel Sassacre survives: he meets a baby clutching his own book of jokes, rather than one wielding dual flintlocks.

Either way, at least sounds like he had a pretty good life :).

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Talorat posted:

Careful, this road of thinking leads to an infinite number of time traveling paradox Daves having a convention in their own honor. Davecon 2011.
The LOHACSE probably has a convention centre attached, right?

And kid-Mom is glorious. Glorious.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

quote:

pave the way for the arrival of gods.
That and I'm pretty sure Lord English has never been referred to as a god. Demon, yes, but not a god.

UU is at least slightly sinister though, in that she's responsible for arming the bunny and suggesting the whole idea to Jake and Jade in the first place. Though from her perspective it seems to have turned out all right in the end.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Two of Doc Scratch's first in-comic acts were helping Vriska to cripple Tavros, and persuading her to kill Aradia. I dunno, those sent a pretty strong signal to me that he was evil.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Seoinin posted:

Not even just helping her, but mocking her when she shows reluctance. He has always been fat nasty trash.
Good point.

I suppose the key is that he always tried to present himself as a necessary evil: Aradia dying leading to her frog prototyping and gaining a whole bunch of knowledge about the workings of the game, for instance. Evil, but apparently necessary. But was it necessary? The Trolls could well have won without that. Would have taken longer, but that would have been a good thing - Kanaya would have had more time to perfect the genesis frog. And a flawed frog was probably Scratch and English's goal all along.

Which fits the conception of English as a kind of parasite on Skaia and paradox space. There are flatworms that parasitise snails* and give them thicker shells - which, on the surface of it, sounds like helping the snail out. But in doing so, it diverts resources away from reproduction - so ultimately it's only the flatworm that's helped out by the thicker shell. English and co's game seems to be similar: cause universes to be flawed, then "help" them overcome those flaws by coming in post-Scratch and making the player species tougher. But in doing so he makes the society nastier, propagates the flaws and gives himself universes to eat.

Given all that, I don't think UU's working for English. She has plenty of ulterior motives to be sure, but I think she's more likely to be working for Skaia itself, in its attempts to get rid of its parasite.

* Dawkins, R. The Selfish Gene 1989 edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

You can argue that we need more antagonists, true, but on the other hand there's one big obvious hole in the story that so far nobody (other than UU potentially. Well ok, Aradia too) is filling, and that probably needs to be filled for a non-nihilistic conclusion to the story: someone to organise the heroes, provide a goal for them to aim for and hopefully - once causal spoilers are no longer an issue - explain what the hell is going on (well duh universes being created but why? And why in this way?). Skaia itself can't speak, so it needs someone to speak for it.

UU could be an antagonist, but for me that would be pretty disappointing because then we'd still have all this metaphysical overhead hanging around being a loving pain in the rear end.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 21, 2011