Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I still think Nepeta isn't dead. No-one is dead until DEAD appears next to them in giant letters. We'll have the end of act flash and then nepetaquest 2011.

P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_VAiznSTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Memphis Raines posted:

Man I really wish Hussie would have give some exposition about how time travel works inside sburb; I can think of things like Steins;gate where it was explained solidly, using the idea of the alpha and beta timelines running parallel, and offshoot timelines being tiny fibres that make up the overall rope of the alpha timeline, unless they manage to affect things that the line is more than 1% different overall, by which they cross the divergence percentage barrier and end up in the Beta timeline, which ultimately has a different outcome.

That was simple.

Homestuck makes me want to take my brain out with an icepick.

Time travel in homestuck is very straightforward. It's simply the kind of time travel you get in a single timeline predestined universe. You can travel in time freely, but you can't change anything because all your actions including time travelling actions already exist on the timeline. What's so hard about that? It's pretty much time travel as it's presented by all the actual physicists who think it could be possible. The issue of changing things never comes up, because there's no free will in this comic (at least, no free will of the kind that would be problematic - compatibilist free will is emphasised to the extent it's dealt with at all).

The only difficult thing is the split timelines, which don't really have anything to do with time travel, and which have also been explained fairly extensively by now, with three major examples (Johns first death, Daves death by Terezi, and Vriskas end), each of which had a good deal of exposition. What exactly confuses you (:genuine interest:)? Note that "choices" resulting in split timelines are just as predestined as everything else.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 29, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Ograbme posted:

That was Rose answering the question "how big is it". If she meant mass, then Scratch's lies by omission have been rubbing off.

No, she straight-up says "mass".

TG: how big
TG: i need a sense of scale here
TG: is it like the size of our sun
TG: or bigger
TG: or is it only as big as like
TG: planet loving jupiter

TT: It is nearly twice the mass of our universe.

TG: ok thats pretty loving big

Besides, Hussies already talked about how they're dealing with "distances" - it's out in the furthest ring, where time works like a windows 95 progress bar. Your journey will be complete in 8 seconds / 360 billion years / 10.25 minutes okay you're done. This is also why the sollux powered meteor isn't in dire need of explanation.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 29, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

^^

I'm pretty sure of that myself. The story has Jack as just about the most threatening physical presence a plot can cope with. Lord english will turn out to be something completely unexpected and different, and if anyone 'fights' him, it wont be with a pop-o-matic vrillyoo hammer.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Regarding the windy thing, here's a reminder of the tavros scene mentioned if you've forgotten: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005003

Yeah it could be that tavros was going for the straightforward smoochcorpse/wake up the dreamself thing, but I'd bet that breath power thing is there for a reason. John very likely has more powers than we've seen, possibly to do with bringing back the dead. I anticipate a restored WV, for the record.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I've followed Gunnerkrigg court almost from the start and it's a good thing for sure.

I'll tell you what though, following homestuck utterly spoils you for pacing. Even though GC updates like clockwork, I keep loading up the page and thinking 'huh. Still just that one page huh. ho hum.'

Meanwhile in the same 2 days homestuck probably has about ten to fifteen giant semi animated panels with maybe 500 - 1000 words to read, all of it gold.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I know, I know. But even aside from sheer panel/text output, the amount of plot we get from MSPA is enormous. It feels like every week we find out something new; solve an old mystery, introduce a new one, or get a twist on our expectations or previous understandings.

Obviously that style of pacing, just a kaleidoscopic supernova of a hundred individual subplots all swishin together, turning out insane corkscrew haymakers of a billion dancing plot revelations, isn't going to suit everything and I don't think it would suit Gunnerkrigg Court at all.

But you still gotta admit it's pretty slow paced. We're getting drip-fed plot at the tiniest intermittent trickle. Even when we find something important out (which I can recall happening about twice. spoilers: Who the ghost is, and the recent thing with Annie's heritage) it's hard to be excited by them because everything else is such a complete mystery. Even Girl Genius moves faster.

If it hadn't gotten so incredibly nice to look at (after a shaky couple of chapters at the start) I don't know how well it would hold up. Luckily it's almost certainly the best drawn thing on the internet that actually updates.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 1, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I think Homestuck ruined webcomics for me :psyduck: I can't go back to the more traditional style. I'm 82 pages into GC and I'm just not getting into it :( I feel like something is wrong.

Stick with it. The start's a little shaky, as I mentioned. You're reading the second best webcomic on the internet, so if you can't get into GC, then once homestuck is gone the entire genre is closed to you forever.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Douglas Adams wrote on Shakespeare and Wodehouse:

quote:

Maybe its' because our greatest writing genius was incapable of being funny that we have decided that being funny doesn't count. Which is tough on Wodehouse (as if he could have cared less) because his entire genius was for being funny, and being funny in such a sublime way as to put mere poetry in the shade. The precision with which he plays upon every aspect of a words character simultaneously - its meaning, timbre, rhythm, the range of its idiomatic connections and flavours, would have made Keats whistle. Keats would have been proud to have written "the smile vanished from his face like breath off a razor blade" or of Honoria Glossop's laugh that it sounded like "cavalry on a tin bridge." Speaking of which, Shakespeare, when he wrote "A man may smile, and smile and be a villain" might have been at least as impressed by "Many a man may look respectable, and yet be able to hide at will behind a spiral staircase".

Shakespeare? Milton? Keats? How can I possibly mention the author of Pearls, Girls and Monty Bodkin and Pigs Have Wings in the same breath as these men? He's just not serious!

He doesn't need to be serious. He's better than that. He's up in the stratosphere of what the human mind can do, above tragedy and strenuous thought, where you will find Bach, Mozart, Einstein, Feynman, and Louis Armstrong, in the realms of pure, creative playfulness.

People always scoff when you compare ANYTHING modern with great, dead artists, but only if said dead guys work is sufficiently serious business. If I said the writing in homestuck was as good as Wodehouse, or as good as Douglas Adams himself, I might have some people disagree with me (I might not fully buy it myself, the two men I just mentioned being absolute titans of humorous literature), but you can bet your arse the comparison wouldn't be met with such lip-trembling, blustering indignation as when a REAL dead artist is sullied by being mentioned in the same breath with something so base as comedy or comic books.

How about these. Homestuck is:
as funny as Terry Pratchett.
as intricate with engaging detail as Tolkein.
as groundbreaking and revolutionary within his field as Alan Moore.

But obviously not as "good" as Hemingway or Nabokov or Shakespeare. You know, REAL writers.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 7, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Shakespeare wrote a lot of (very good and well known) comedies and Pale Fire is funnier than Homestuck

Funny is even more personal than just about any other facet of art. That said, Shakespeares comedies are great plays, but mediocre comedy at best.

Anyway, I doubt you can argue that there isn't an entrenched and undeserved elitist bias in both genre (drama>comedy) and medium (print novels > everything). I'm not saying, and I know no-one is saying, that Hussie is literally as good as shakespeare. Hussie even wrote a little essay about that comparison on one of his old formsrings, which I recall being very level headed and insightful. But the kneejerk reaction against the very idea of such a comparison is very much a product of the elitist bias just mentioned, and it's only going to get more quaint and obnoxious as time goes on and art that isn't a book about drama gains favour.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 7, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

You put sentences reading "Humor is subjective," and "Shakespeare isn't funny" right next to each other. Intentionally.

Yep!

quote:

Can we shut up about this now? The level of picking-apart-between-updates is getting a tad unbearable, what with all the literary theory being wafted around like turds people have opinions about. Here's the nice thing about literary theory: all of your valid interpretations are sound.

Fine, lets not discuss the literary value of the work or its place in the broader fields of human endeavour. What do you think we should talk about instead, mr. all opinions are equal and boring?

Which troll is your favourite troll. What do you think of [absurd plot theory].

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Hobo Lobo of Hamelin is a recently started webcomic with extraordinarily innovative use of elements that the internet can give to sequential art, if you're looking for things that try to break the mold like homestuck does.

I'd love to see this kind of multimedia/interactivity being more or a trend, really setting webcomics apart from print comics and print-style comics in terms of what you can do in the medium*. Bring on the death of the panel.

*Not that 'the medium'.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 7, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Fruit rollups are made by betty crocker?

THE HEINOUS BATTERWITCH HAS HER GNARLED CLAWS IN EVERYTHING.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

come on COME ON

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I'm betting new universe Betty Crocker is none other than the selfsame troll condesce as the batterwitch who raised nanna on prescratch earth.

Consider:
She was never originally part of the universe, and wouldn't have a rescratched version of herself.

She disappeared from earth long before the scratch. Presumably to enter the scratched universe to play the same role all over again.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

drat chimera posted:

Hah, this is the logo on her shirt

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=4&p=000414

Good catch. That also explains the FRIGHTENING FAUNA which are FAKE reference.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Kazy posted:

I thought Nanna would be John's granddaughter, not Jade's. Though I guess they would be ectobiologically related enough to switch. But honestly I don't really get why they would switch.

What makes you think she isn't?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

e: I found it. Huh.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I expected to be just starting to deal with more or less all of the stuff that happened in the end of act 5 flash about now. But then everything happened at once and we have this thing instead. Genuine mystery. Fresh puzzles.

This is such a good thing.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Simulated Livestock Flakes and Feeding Chamber are some oddly troll-like phrases for things.

My theory is that Betty Crocker is actually the troll condesce.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

He put an "Ansrew" reference in the comic. My god.

No silly MSPA Forum running gag is too small for Andrew to give a nod to. First Dr. Brinner, and now this. Never stop, Hussie. :allears:

Apparently the ansrew thing is based on a misspelling on the forums somewhere (specific info requested if anyone has it). What's the Dr. Brinner thing?

e: it was on PM's letter. It appears to be something absurdly dense involved with the mspa forums. I think my ability in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a poo poo is being nullified.

e2: I still want to know.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

of bees posted:

Then I realized an important fact: the Beat Mesa is always on the planet of the hero of Time. Always.

Did we see some kind of music box beat mesa associated with aradia at some point? If not what makes you think this?

e: and more generally, what makes people think there is always a hero of time and space in every session? I assume I'm forgetting some hint of this somewhere?

Links would be great if anyone has em.

e2: cheers, that was quick.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 19, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Everything about scratch led us to suspect that while he was an agent of lord English, he had secret motivations that ran counter to his masters agenda. All the talk of wanting to die, and wanting to help destroy the source of his masters power.

All of the buildup to the SUCKERS revelation, in fact. He was built up as a mysterious, vaguely untrustworthy entity, but ultimately one that was aiding the characters, even though possibly for his own ends.

When we discovered that he was actually playing them, assuring the creation rather than the destruction of the Sun, and that his wanting to die thing was not about being tired of his existence or desiring to leave English's service through death, but an act directly serving him, that was the moment he was confirmed as an outright villain, and not before.

Otherwise the whole revelation that the kids were creating, not destroying the sun (probably the single least obvious twist in the story to date) would make no sense. Scratch was always shifty as gently caress, but the kids still trusted his plan because they didn't expect him to be straight up screwing them. If you did expect that, good for you but the story was deliberately attempting to mislead readers away from that conclusion.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

dp

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Huhn. I thought that whole meteor bifurcation theory was nutty when I first heard it but it's starting to make sense.

It explains why both pre-robotic versions of the bunny are in Janes room. This would otherwise be impossible because we know the bunnies entire history loop. They can't be the same bunny as eventually becomes liv tyler, which makes them some kind of alternative version.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

It's been mentioned, but the hypothesis also sheds light on the confusing 'prescratch trolls not spawned in their session' idea we've had for a while.

One hypothesis explaining multiple problems makes it, if not necessarily more likely, at least more interesting.

e: mind you, there's a bit of a spanner in the works. Karkat's ancestor retrieved memories of his life in the previous universe, remember?

That makes a lot less sense if the meteor bifurcation thing is true. Still vaguely plausible but it'd be a lot more consistent if a players prescratch self was in some way prior to their postscratch self, whereas bifurcating meteors wouldn't permit that perspective.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 24, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Delivered from a reality not yet conceived.

Oh.

I guess this is where the whole bifurcating meteor idea came from in the first place.

Evidence just keeps on racking up.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

All the gaming abstractions are just jokes and have no actual relevance.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

God tier is a major plot element. It's a reification of the literary concept of heroism as well as a bountiful source of significant drama.

Levels, like boondollars, grist, strife specibi, fraymotifs and other roleplaying game abstractions, are just jokes.

e: I mean what do you expect extra god tier levels to do, plot wise? John reaches god tier level a hundred and is strong enough to go fight lord english with cyclone tornado punch million damage multiplier?

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 26, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Waffnuffly posted:

I'd say grist wound up being much more significant than just a joke.
It really didn't.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

oh my god

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I'd be pretty pleased if we had some old fashioned STRIFE flashes. With the clicking on something starting with A to humorous effect. Those were the highlights of acts 1-4.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I'm thinking Jacks story has pretty much played out at this point. We have a bigger, meaner, more cerebral villain to deal with, and everything Jack was foreshadowed to do, and more, he has done with characteristic gusto and splatter. I'll genuinely be unsurprised if the next time we see Jack, he's dead at postmistresses hands and that's that for this storys secondary bad guy.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

While it's true that the troll empress secretly rules the earth, the troll slang thing is probably a reference to human words being classy vernacular in troll universe.
Scratched troll universe: earth words are classy.
Scratched human universe: troll words are cool.

e: all I'm saying is there's not that much to suggest there are any trolls on earth except the condesce, as LE's plant.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

excellent. I've missed Hussies more regular formspring riffs.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I love me some hussie Q&A. He's really, genuinely funny.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Huhn.

I bet there are at least a few of you who haven't checked out hussies old webcomic stash, and therefore not seen this:

http://www.andrewhussie.com/comic.php?sec=archive&auth=Scribblettes&cid=scrib/00040.gif

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

So the original con air bunny from this universe is inside Sebastian. But there is also an unmodified con air bunny on Janes bed, dressed as a wizard.

Easily explained through standard time travel, but I dunno, something tells me they're different rabbits.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah, starting here.

Pretend I didn't start out the debate by claiming the exact opposite of what we know now to be true.

You can help me eat half of this delicious hat sandwich.

What I said is still basically true though. These fancy extra god tier levels are still just jokes. Good, funny jokes. There's no way the extra mangrit and youngster gumption will actually help the kids win any upcoming battles, or be relevant in any unique way to the plot. Simply because that would be silly and boring in a terrible dragonball z kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

It's tricky to visually parse, but I think that frog hand is the dissolving remains of bilious slick B1, in the foreground of a shiny new, unharmed universe B2 that took his/its physical place in the troll session immediately on his demise.