Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I kind of thought that spherical lilypad filled representation was another aspect of a universe-frog. Now that you describe it as a pond it makes a lot more sense as just the place where a universe frog sits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Since we've just seen a sign of maplehoof in universe B2, I think that completes the set of meteor objects. I've casually tried to trace their circuitous paths through paradox space, from their origins to their current locations, in both universes, assuming that the meteor bifurcation theory is true, which it looks to be. There are some gaps I can't fill.

In universe B2, listed by who they were eventually sent to earth with.

John - Inscribed Sassacre Tome. Began as a fresh sassacre tome in Johns room, was inscribed by nannasprite and dropped. Taken by Grandpa to the ectobiology lab. Went with baby john and became old sassacre tome, in dad's safe. Currently... in Johns sylladex I think?

Rose - Soiled Bunny. Began as the original Con Air bunny, obtained by John, soiled on his planet, gifted to baby rose. Passed through Knitted Bunny phase in Roses care, and gifted to John, who gave it to baby Jade. Ends up as Liv Tyler, either destroyed in the green sun or with dave and rose and trolls.

Jade - Knitted Bunny. Began as the same original Con Air bunny, became Rose's soiled bunny, Rose Knitted on it and sent it to John, who gave it to baby Jade. Jade grew up with it, sent it across universes to Jake, who turned it into Liv Tyler. Either destroyed in the green sun or with dave and rose and trolls.

Dave - Maplehoof. An ironic present to Rose from Mom, seen in their strife flash. Made its way into the game, then to the ectobiology meteor, and sent to earth with baby Dave. Turned into a striking leather bib. Current location of bib unknown.

Nanna - Dads Soiled Hat. Began as Dads original hat, soiled on johns planet and left in the ectobiology lab. Seen with baby nanna here. Having trouble tracking this ones current location.

Grandpa - Flintlock Pistols. Seem to have been a pair of Grandpas normal pistols, left in the ectobiology lab. Used to shoot Sassacre. Became Jades flintlocks, involved in Grandpas death in the past with Tavros's involvement. Currently in Jades possession? Or possibly lost in her roomsplosion?

Mom - Mutini. Found by Rose in the skaianet facility. Taken by John on his jetpack tour, and thus made it to the ectobiology lab. Sent to earth with baby Mom, current location / eventual fate unknown.

Bro - Dream Cal. Hated into existence by gamzee under future cals influence. Made it to the lab on Bros hoverboard. Went on to become real cal. Currently with Gamzee.

In universe B2, the history of these objects is literally identical with the above, up to the point they leave the ectobiology lab with the babies. At that point their histories bifurcate and we haven't got a lot to go on. Many seem to have just sat around in bedrooms or been uneventfully passed down the generations. Notably, the objects in B2 will be older or younger than their B1 counterparts. Again listed by who they arrived with on meteors.

Jake - Flintlock Pistols. Sitting in his room.

Jane - Dads Soiled Hat. In her room.

Di - Dream Cal. In his room.

Ro - Mutini. Seen with Ro in a block of ice for some loving reason.

Grandpa John - Inscribed Sassacre Tome. Heirloom passed to Jane. Notably aged as a result.

Grandma Jade - Knitted Bunny. In Janes room, dressed as Indiana Jones. We dont know how he got there, but Jake could have received it as an heirloom and gifted it to Jane.

Rose Mom - Soiled Bunny. Also in Janes room, dressed as a wizard. Possibly a similar Heirloom-to-Ro / gifting route.

Dave Bro - Maplehoof. Unknown. But a small maplehoof... figurine? is on Di's desk

\/ duh, fixed

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 13, 2012

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

If anyone can trace the most recent mentions of the B1 versions of the hat, the pistols, the sassacre tome and Mutini do tell.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Dream towers and prototyping towers are different things.

As far as we've seen, no prototyping towers exist at all in this session.

Dang, you're right. I didn't really catch that in the EOA6p1 flash, but the suggestion is extraordinarily strong that there will be no prototypings at all in this session.

Makes sense from a storytelling perspective. We've had just about all the prototyping based reader tension we can deal with.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Doesn't it sound like UU has a troublesome brother who is probably calmasis?

Other things I liked: UU thinks all god tiers have insect wings. UU's horns are related to her symbol.

And a hundred thousand screams of loss echoed through the fandom as princesses and pageinas were ruled non-canon.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

David Tennant is Scottish.
:goonsay:

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You guys make me wish I could find my cello :(

How the hell did you lose a cello. Did you put it a room and then forget where you lived?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

pandaK posted:

Well now it does.

eeeuuuaaagh

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Bible Challenger posted:

Gotta give Hussie props for creating a bi-curious bromance that doesn't feel super hamfisted or forced. It's actually kind of refreshing.

I find Hussies treatment of gay stuff exceptional in this regard. It's neither fetishistic, nor exclusively material for a joke, nor still does he make his gay relationships inevitably and excessively tragic. Which puts him in extremely rare company. Like, 'I can't think of a single example off the top of my head' rare.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I started out a bit put off by the simplistic art in early act one, though that first animation of the wind eerily blowing through the streets was interesting, I jumped forward a bunch of pages to see if it was going to go anywhere / if the art would improve. I do that a lot, because it happens a lot in good webcomics. I probably wouldn't be reading gunnerkrigg court if I hadn't skipped forward and found that he stopped drawing people with football heads.

So when I did that for homestuck, I go from the first twenty odd pages of John in his house just walking around looking at badly photoshopped ornaments and paintings, to some kind of future-desert where giant robot worms are blasting ancient frog statues with laserbeams. I thought for sure I had accidentally started reading the wrong comic, or was looking at some kind of intermission side project. Took me a while to work out that no, that's where all this is actually going.

You just have to make it to the EoA1 flash.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

interpellate

Hahaha. What?

I looked this word up and found a wikipedia entry which was almost certainly written by Alan Sokal.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 1, 2012

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I recall a hussie post somewhere, possibly talking about Jade:enter, where he mentioned that the entry item conditions for each successive player were programmed to get harder. So Johns apple was easy, rose had to chase her bottle a bit, dave had to deal with hatching that loving egg while under attack from a giant meteor and an enormous feathery rear end in a top hat, and jade had to destroy an explosive bec pinyata under nearly impossible conditions.

Just saying Jane is in the medium.

Congratulations to those of you who figured out the Dirk and Roxy live in the future thing. I was skeptical all the way.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Who says red is the lowest colour? I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned by anyone in the comic (correct me if I'm wrong).

I figured the point of it is that it unites the spectrum in a loop. With Karkat / the sufferer present, blood colours can no longer be organised in a hierarchy. That fits with the christ myth he's got going on. The carpenter / king, the first shall be last and the last shall be first etc.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Seriously though if they aren't the A1 ancestors they're part of some completely new entirely unhinted-at extra set of already dead trolls. Too many trolls, even for Hussie.

It's tough to say but them being A1 Ancestors is a pretty solid bet.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Man, that question about who is the real self and what not really has been rankling at me for some time.

While never stated in the comic explicitly, there have been a few formspring posts where Hussie has gone into the idea of what makes the alpha timeline the alpha. It's about in-universe consistency.

Given all the cross-time cross-universe interaction, doing anything other than what you're 'destined' to do is a paradox, because chances are you're already being shaped and influenced by the future implications of what you're about to do. Take the green sun: all of the actions of the kids and trolls combined to bring about the entities and conditions which have been leading them to eventually create the sun. That means anything anyone does that would not have led to that outcome would be the result of an outcome that now doesn't exist. Homestuck actually contains no time paradoxes.

So Hussie once posted in response to a question about how Terezi could have killed John, since if John dies before getting Jade in the trolls will never know about the kids, so she won't be around to get him killed etc. His answer was "exactly", explaining that the generation of that paradox is the main reason deadjohn and davesprites beta timeline is a beta, and not just an alternative alpha.

Here, we're seeing successful trolls. But think what would happen if the trolls were successful. They'd never contact the kids, never feel the need to make a plan to defeat Jack, and never create the green sun. With no green sun, there'd be no lord english and no handmaid and the whole of their racial history would be paradoxical. Things like that generate beta timelines, and they're objectively less valid than the alpha timeline.

Hussie has written a universe where time is more or less eternalist, but his characters still have free will. The problem with free will and eternalism, especially once you permit time travel, is that you can generate paradoxes. Kill your grandfather etc. Here, the paradox is permitted, but only in an alternate universe which then 'dies' of the paradox. It's a pretty philosophically sophisticated way to write 'realistic' time travel without it being boring.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Tollymain posted:

I just meant like, what makes any of them a more valid "real self" than the others? It's just kind of existentially terrifying. I mean, if they did like this thing where they kind of absorbed into singular dream-bubble identities for each character that would be one thing, but they don't. So in a sense they all are different people. And it's just kind of troubling in a way I find hard to describe. I am not a good philosophy student.

Don't look up the many worlds hypothesis then, because according to some actual serious physicists, the same thing is literally true of the real world.

Sweet dreams mate!

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

The Alpha Universe is paradoxical. There is the entire concept of 'paradox clones'. The kids Guardians were created by John from a template of the kids Guardians. That is to say, the Guardians are the source of themselves. That poo poo don't fly in a non-paradoxical world.

Simple rule of thumb.

It's a paradox to kill your own grandfather.
It's not a paradox to BE your own grandfather.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

That's much better than most 'homestuck people dance to a song' clips. A lot better.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Just in case anyone is missing this fact: coffee does actually form a rainbow coloured unctious film.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

TheDemon posted:

Hm... Lil Seb also sunk down into the pit with the house, but appears later on the ground level with Jane. While its true he can climb out of the pits, maybe this isn't the same Lil Seb that sunk, just like the bunny had all the time shenanigans to make it to the various points it appeared in the first session.

By now so many theories that seemed patently ridiculous have turned out to be correct, to the point that it is now hard to discount anything out of hand, no matter how stupid it sounds.

Your theory, however, is definitely wrong.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Isn't the original CANON codpiece sketch owned by a goon from this thread?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

How famous is Guy Fieri?

I'm not American, but I know that during the smash mouth eat the eggs thing a bunch of ostensible Americans didn't know who the hell he was, even while he was wilfully ruining the moment.

Honest question. Is Guy Fieri here because of smash mouth eat the eggs (which was a pretty big Internet Thing that Hussie very probably heard about), or is Guy Fieri actually an ironically hated celebrity in the same league of the Insane Clown Posse?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Scale Model Giant posted:

Can you? I see his head along the top, but that just signifies that he hasn't died.

good lord was that always there?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I was really sceptical about the red miles coming in B2 theory but I kept shtum because pretty much every mental theory in this thread comes true. Well played.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Darkcage doesn't seem to be working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Fagtastic posted:

I find Hussies treatment of gay stuff exceptional in this regard. It's neither fetishistic, nor exclusively material for a joke, nor still does he make his gay relationships inevitably and excessively tragic. Which puts him in extremely rare company. Like, 'I can't think of a single example off the top of my head' rare.

I'm watching you Hussie don't let me down.