Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Since supposedly every session "needs" Space and Time, it would be kind of funny that the Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom session literally depends upon the kids crashing the party and adding their own planets back into the mix to make the "real" session. Like as if Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom's session knew that would happen and thus didn't need to make these new kids have a Space or Time player. I wonder what they would need two battlefields for though.

Judging from Jake's frog temple, it seems to know that there will be 8 players. The temple looks to have 8 pillars to correspond to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Which page are you getting that from? I can't seem to find it.

The flash only shows 3 pillars (with a presumed 4th pillar behind the camera)

Its looking out the front of the temple, with one pillar straight on and two at roughly 45 degrees, with that we can assume that there will be 8 to make it symmetrical.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

There's one more slightly worrying thing about this conversation that I haven't seen brought up explicitly: UU goes on about the arrival of "the other foUr of legend" and lists the aspects of the original flavour kids - but where does that leave the trolls? She doesn't say "the legendary octet of mUtUal progenitoriety and also their friendly sidekicks from another Universe" or anything.

Taking what she says here as non-misleading truth, Dave and Rose are going to make it over just fine; and I very much doubt the trolls are going to just simply not reach the Green Sun, especially as Aradia has already claimed otherwise. So what's with that? Are they going to be doing something else, does UU somehow not know about them (unlikely given how much else she seems to know about the situation), or did she just think it not important or not appropriate to mention them? What Gabriel Pope said above might play into this, I suppose.

The trolls arent part of this universe, so they might just be left out as normal players. Of course, there are seven trolls plus 1 new troll. TWO EIGHT PLAYER SESSIONS. Oh god I hope not.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

wait, what do all the other aspects do? I'm good on Space, Time, and Void, maybe Light, but everything else is obscure.

The only classes we really know about Heir, Seer, and Thief too.

e: Mind was explained to couple with Seer extremely well, this was how Terezi knew Vriska would win the coin toss and run off to fight Jack.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

John's wind powers also made him undetectable by scent. And I'm personally a bit iffy on what exactly Space powers are, since Jade has Green Sun powers too, its hard to differentiate which is which.

Thats a problem with a lot of the trolls for me too, to be honest. I was thinking sollux's Doom powers were related to his ability to hear the voices of the dead, and were maybe relted to knowing of deaths in advance or something, but that could be his own psychic powers. And again, Life may have to do with extending ones own logevity, though the Empress is implied to be extremely long lived anyways, and all god Tiers are immortal which would make it kinda useless, though she did extend the life of Sollux's ancestor. I think the best defined ones we've seen are Time and Light really.

Heart is one of those ones we dont even have any hints to what it does whatsoever though.

Space is quite literal so far, she can alter space and presumably she could teleport herself to any other point in space is she wished.

Also Sollux had vision two-fold, he could see the present and the future.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Obviously heart powers let you uselessly talk to animals make shipping charts, how is this even a discussion?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Talorat posted:

Whelp, how's that for an update. I definitely think that UU is this world's first guardian. Also does this mean we now have 3 ___s of light that we have observed? Their role must be more important than we realize.

She said Life, not Light.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

John didn't send meteors to other universes, John had nothing to do with the creation of these kids, and there hasn't been anything at all to suggest otherwise. Yes, the roles have been reversed, but that doesn't change anything.

This isnt a different Universe, its the exact same Universe and Earth, just reset and screwed with by a new Doc Scratch. So those meteors are already here, but simply rerouted to land at different points in time to have different Sburb players.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Magikoopa189 posted:

Okay, why are there four kids again, and why do they look like the protagonists? I thought there were supposed to be only two heroes now.

Sorry, but you really have no idea whats going on.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Hussie is laying it on really loving thick that Jane is the Heir(ess) of Life.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

and that Dave just assumed he was being ironic about it

Im pretty sure Dave knew 100% that Bro was creepy but just didnt want to admit it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
It always seemed to me that Dave was pretty sure Bro was serious about it all but didnt really want to admit it to himself.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Am I missing something? The newest review is from 2006 and is just some girl gushing about how much she loved the book.

I couldnt see it either but I saw it over here http://ib.skaia.net/post/view/24920

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think one time John calls them "lovely Anime Shades" or something, but otherwise isnt addressed.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Jake thinks hes merely sending it back in time to the 1900s when GrandmaJade and Poppop were alive. Interesting.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fagtastic posted:

Everything about scratch led us to suspect that while he was an agent of lord English, he had secret motivations that ran counter to his masters agenda. All the talk of wanting to die, and wanting to help destroy the source of his masters power.

All of the buildup to the SUCKERS revelation, in fact. He was built up as a mysterious, vaguely untrustworthy entity, but ultimately one that was aiding the characters, even though possibly for his own ends.

When we discovered that he was actually playing them, assuring the creation rather than the destruction of the Sun, and that his wanting to die thing was not about being tired of his existence or desiring to leave English's service through death, but an act directly serving him, that was the moment he was confirmed as an outright villain, and not before.

Otherwise the whole revelation that the kids were creating, not destroying the sun (probably the single least obvious twist in the story to date) would make no sense. Scratch was always shifty as gently caress, but the kids still trusted his plan because they didn't expect him to be straight up screwing them. If you did expect that, good for you but the story was deliberately attempting to mislead readers away from that conclusion.

He said from the beginning that he had to die to summon his master.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Bro's glasses are totally getting prototyped. Cant wait for every badguy to have Broshades.

KoB
May 1, 2009

tinaun posted:

Poppop just lost an arm. :ohdear: Is this preparations for poppopsprite?

Edit: I assume all prototypings will be mirrored in this universe, like the sburb logo was.

Of course! Bro will prototype "himself" (glasses), Mom will prototype Mutini, Jake himself I guess.

KoB
May 1, 2009

annatar posted:

The book is coming into the session via jade's planet juggling anyway, there's no need to suppose some new property for the portals for this instance because someone can just put the book on the right B2 meteor.

Why would it be a "new property"? This is the same earth, the portals still go back in time, theyre just switch around.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zorak posted:

But the post-Scratch Troll universe did create themselves? The first adventure-game-in-asteroid flash thing involved Karkat flashing back to when he created the trolls and the ancestors as grubs. Since such a post-Scratch genesis happened for the Trolls, it seems unlikely that you'd have a different course just for post-Scratch kids.

From the conversation with UU, A1 would be the pre-scratch Alternia, with B2 being popst-scratch Earth.

YF-23 posted:

Thinking back on [S] Jade: Enter, it seems to me like there was no real reason to do a 4th prototyping at all. The Bec piņata Jade had to shoot to enter the medium was there before the sprite's first prototyping so technically it should have been possible right? But I also remember that the first prototyping done pre-entry being sort of compulsory (stated indirectly; I recall a second pre-entry prototyping said to be needlessly powering up the enemies, which would imply the first one is necessary). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

But I guess the state of prototypings could play into how Paradox Space decides the alpha timeline.

Yeah, first prototype is necessary to win the game at all, second pre-entering prototype just powers them up more. Rose is the only one that prototyped twice before entering.

KoB
May 1, 2009

MrBims posted:

There is nothing in the last few pages that wasn't said thirty pages ago. All the evidence was here by the Act 6 page, and it is significantly easier to understand than some of the bigger twists. The comets were copied and rerouted to different times so that the players and their ancestors lived mirrored and different lives.

Yeah, but for some reason people still dont get it and I cant understand why they dont.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Well okay, hes quite obviously the Page of Hope.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Didnt they say somewhere that there are supposed to be many God Tiers? I think they mentioned it when the Trolls defeated the black king by gaming the system when it shouldnt have been nearly that hard.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Waffnuffly posted:

It enabled them to build all sorts of weapons, build their houses upwards, and according to the story, the biggest grist hoard of all enables the Ultimate Alchemy which apparently is the creation of a new universe.

Not sure I'd call that a joke but ok! (I mean it's funny and obviously a parody on gaming abstractions, but it serves a real purpose in the story, too.)

I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to speculate about the implications behind certain things said earlier in the story, especially when we were given visuals to go along with them (i.e. the gates appearing when John went god tier). Lots of things remain to be seen.

The limitation on creation/building could have been anything, grist itself is a joke on game constructs, even so far as to how it becomes trivial in the late-game.

KoB
May 1, 2009

MrBims posted:

There is a good SKULL at the heart of any mystery, haunting its EVERY PAGE. That is what you always say. Or at least, it is what you always HOPE.

Also:
GG: "The Page is dead."
GG: "Our hope is lost."

e: god damnit

KoB
May 1, 2009

marsattacks posted:

But Crabdad is a nice guy everybody, everything will be fine.

So was it Jake who was appearifying the pumpkins from Jade's island way back when? I know that WV did too, but it seems like Jake can appearify things from the last 'verse.

Its mainly a joke about all of the previous MSPaint Adventures.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Crabdad!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dolash posted:

Whoops, you're right. I have no clue why I thought I saw a logo with just the one box. I guess the troll appears to be using an exile station with just one window, so that's a bit odd, but that might just be a misunderstanding on my part or be otherwise meaningless. Yeah they're probably fine.

I think the GAME GRL magazine had a 1-box Sburb logo on the cover, but every other one we've seen is 4 boxes.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Update. 8 Pillars for the 8 player session.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Some more of Jane and Bro's conversation has appeared. Bro is honestly getting pretty interesting, I wouldn't have expected him to be both earnestly devoted to the ironies and as frank as he's being here.

Also interesting: Bro seems to have some awareness of ectobiological shenanigans. I wonder just how much he knows or thinks he knows about the nature of his genetic relation to Dave.

Its seems as though Dave might know more than he should. Also, Mom Lalonde's name starts with an R if we didnt already assume as much.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Anyway, update. Jesus, Bro is running circles around Dave when it comes to his devotion to irony. Dave never really stood a chance of matching his dedication.

Pre-scratch Bro wasnt ironic at all and Dave was being ironic. Post-scratch Bro is now completely ironic and I bet Dave now isnt ironic.

KoB fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 4, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

kjetting posted:

I love the idea of Dave being a big famous superstar director chilling with Stiller and the gang and collecting silly movie props.

Stiller is starring in the MOIVE.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Jesoteric posted:

While nicer by troll standards, Kanaya and Nepeta could still be considered bloodthirsty. Nepeta killed animals with her hands and then skinned them/used their blood as paint. Kanaya chainsawed Eridan in half.

I love them both, but they were still trolls at heart! Which isn't a bad thing, considering the stuff they have to fight against, it's better if they're willing to be violent if they have to be.

Kanaya sawed him in half after he blew a hole in her stomach. Its already justified before you go to Troll-bloodthirstyness. Also Fef killed giant monsters/Lusii to feed her genocidal horrorterror.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Tavros is absolutely my least favorite troll. I even think Equius was interesting because of his issues with authority, feeling like he should step up to his bloodtype but not wanting to and all that. Even Eridan is amazing in a completely terrible way (And at least he stepped up and tried to fight for something). Tavros was just boring and pathetic and in the end just did what Vriska had planned :(.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Android Blues posted:

All the Guardians died real early in the last Scratched session we saw. I'm guessing that's gonna come up!

Its seems like its pretty fated that the guardians all die.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cavatica posted:

Geez, that goes without saying. I'm just more sad that he probably won't even get a chance to be badass. That's already the next level up!

Well, see, Im confused since hes already a badass :colbert:

Showing how awesome he is would just be going over the same stuff we already know. I'd much rather get the other kids back in the picture than spend time with Dad frankly.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Got my book today! So rad.

KoB
May 1, 2009

MrBims posted:

I don't have it, but I suspect he'd be hesitant to include commentary that would necessarily include details about future events, since he wants the books to be able to stand as their own product and get people to read who otherwise might not.

He mentions Rose/Dave/Jade before the reader finds out their names, and he mentions the trolls as well as Karkat. While he doesn't spell out the story completely he doesnt shy away from it.

He mentions how he wanted the bunny to be a big part of the story, even if he wasnt sure how yet. Theres some other bits but I havent gotten through the whole book yet.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I only got into Homestuck this summer, so its really interesting when he talks about the early days for me. He mentions how John Egbert was the first name suggestion, and that Rose, Dave, and Jade were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively (good thing they were decent suggestions I guess!).

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wasnt there a conversation here just the other week about whether there were different levels of god-tier? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
John has been God-Tier much longer and Jade is Dog-Tier, they kinda should be higher levels than Dave and Rose.