Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

President Ark posted:

So since you have insider information, tell me this:

On a scale of one to ten, how many bricks am I going to poo poo after the EoA?

Thirty seven.

Also since the thread's here, and letting this gem get drowned out when EoA5 gets released, I might as well post it now. It was posted in the fanart thread but not as many people read that at all.

The homestuck fanmusicians made a Jailbreak album! It's all chiptunes :swoon:

http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/album/jailbreak-vol-1

First two tracks aren't too amazing, but everything from then on is great. There's a fair few bonus tracks for downloading it (it's free, just type 0.00 for the price!), and my favorite tracks are Title Screen, Assail, and Jackknive. Either way go listen to it while we wait for the flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Zorak posted:

I am pretty sure absolutely no one got into or saw anything of the full flash before Newgrounds melted down.

I did and I'm in Australia!

ACTUAL SPOILER FOR THE FLASH DO NOT HOVER OVER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT: OH GOD JADE'S GOD TIER SUIT HAS EARS. Also Terezi pointing at the sky in the wrong place and Karkat moving her arm to point in the right way.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hahaha.

I watched it twice and it's still hard to see some parts but oh god is the art and music amazing. I can't wait to get the new album asap.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

As my friend pointed out. Look what's on the ground http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005109

:gonk:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

closeted republican posted:

There's a ton of HS/MLP crossover fanart out there already, so making Bro a brony wouldn't make things much worse than the status quo.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Ahahah that was amazing. Kidmom confirmed for bestmom.

TipsyGnostalgic :allears:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Spellman posted:

And Tomb of the Ancestors is out: http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/album/tomb-of-the-ancestors

Wow. The piano in ETERNAL SUFFERING is, well, haunting. So good oh my god.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Someone got a picture of the D.Strider review on that Detective Pony book someone mentioned a while ago that got deleted!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Shwoo posted:

So where did the thing about kidbro being a weeaboo come from? Is it just based off his sunglasses? I think between the puppets and possibly the horses, he'll have enough weird interests.

You have to keep in mind the swords and the glasses as well.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

The horns are a tougher case, because I'm not sure that an element of a character taken in isolation is sufficiently delineated to qualify as copyrightable.

If they sold Mario's hat with the trademark M on it it's sue-able. Most likely twelve candy-corn horns in the identical shape of twelve characters from the same comic they've already ripped off counts too.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Seoinin posted:

This is, of course, the one and only time in the entire comic where these details are, in fact, completely insignificant.

Actually this is kinda true, the more Hussie points out something, generally the less it's going to be significant~!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oh. My. GOD.

Hahahaha, Hussie you have outdone yourself by far. As soon as I reached the bottom of the first page I literally just said "Oh my GOD" and just stopped to take it in for a while.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oh my god, the Sister Claire ad that was on the site. On the sweet bro and hella jeff page, they bought a sbahjified version of the ad.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

They did it again :allears:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I just don't see it can someone hilight it or something?

Plus the original on the side to compare.

Edit: vvv hahah, that does make the arm a little clearer. Still, :colbert:

Jewel fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 27, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Olive garden part 2 everybody:

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/13585722775/land-of-souls-and-olives-a-conclusion-plmfers-part

Edit: ^^^ :stare: I swear we posted this on the same second.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 1, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

spectralPrankster is making the best videos, every one of his videos is great and I hope he keeps making them. This one got uploaded a few minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiwgo9S2l0

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Perhaps Bro can manage to get a captchalogue of her brain and make her into a bot??

Jewel
May 2, 2009

A good poster posted:

At first, I thought time dilation was stretching three nanoseconds from Hussiebot's point of view to three years from the kids' point of view, because they were traveling at really, really close to the speed of light. After a glance at the Wikipedia page for time dilation, I think I got the effect reversed. Now I don't know what the hell's going on.

Nah, I think my friend told me mspa forums worked out hussie did it backwards for some reason, probably explained by it not being our real universe and creative license.

Also they worked out that the distance the ship was travelling wasn't exactly a foot due to it coming out of the middle of the windows. Basically incredible nitpicking.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Also, on a note; (I'm probably super late)

I heard the word "acquiesce" used today which I hadn't really heard before and I thought "hang on a minute, that sounds like Equius, right? Well, let's see what that word means.."

ac·qui·esce
Verb:
Accept something reluctantly but without protest

HUSSIEEEE :argh:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Bobulus posted:

All the trolls were fan-named, so I don't think we can give Andrew credit for that one.

But he did choose that name AND he may have worked out character quirks based slightly on their names!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Something I just noticed a full day after the fact, why does Karkat know about Shangri-La?

For the same reasons Gamzee is able to watch a youtube video.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Speaking of Homestuck-related music, Alexander Rosetti ended up posting his Squiddle-themed Christmas story "A Plumbthroat Christmas" on its own after all, if a bit late. Go have a listen, it's all very festive.

Oh, hey, Voidburger, a goon voiced it! I want to listen but it's 2am and I don't think I want something like homestuck for the holidays or the squiddle album stuck in my head for the night. I'll check it in the morning though!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Don't know how many of you have seen this, but it's by BlahStudios who makes amazing homestuck typography videos.

It's a collaboration called "The shipping wall", 20 minutes of typography videos of all the relationships in homestuck. Some of it's a bit silly, but, yknow, shippers. Anything made by Blah though is generally not mushy and instead pretty dang cool. You can tell some of the people in the video aren't as good as editing as others, but it's still nice.

Part I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6KmtOgYxYI&hd=1

Part II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF3ML4jMEUc&hd=1

Edit: For those who don't want to watch 10/20 minutes of footage or want to see some of BlahStudio's nonshipping stuff, here's some other great videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpdFUQK0HcE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SttG15EEgyQ

Jewel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 29, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Bowman's solo album is out. http://bowman.bandcamp.com/album/ithaca

Also Radiation shared the latest tumblr post from goon favorite, randy133 http://randys133.tumblr.com/post/15078538765/the-new-years and it is amazing.

Bowman is perpetually stuck in the 50/60's and I love it :allears:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Well Manicured Man posted:

Oh boy, that music contest sounds super! I'll have to get started right away so I don't procrastinate.

Speaking of fan music, here's a new bit!

It's a song about Gamzee's spooky chucklevoodoo powers.

I would pay good money for that.

Bit late, but really reminds me of the PSX game MediEvil's music, or style.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FStGs-FU8mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_jigRSuN-g

Edit2:

This is a song about the Warhammer of Zillyhoo, greatest of weapons. "Forged in fire by the smiths of Pipplemop, commissioned by the sage Lord of the Wozzinjay Fiefdom in the Realm of the Snargly Fruzmigbubbins"; majestic, poweful, and wielded only by the bravest warriors (and Gamzee), muses have sung of it throughout the universe: that a legendary hero would inherit the great warhammer and use it to smite down evil in all its bahahahahaha oh god i just wrote a big, totally serious song for this thing

(click it!)

Also this is amazing.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 4, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Roxy is a pretty great name, I hope it's Roxy :3:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

This morning and while SA I was down I picked up Famitracker and taught myself how to use it. I'd never made music before or transposed anything, nor actually read a sheet of music in over four years, but I think this turned out pretty neat :3:

I made a NES version of Beatdown I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9p9gXOiZEU&hd=1

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

Nice job :)

That reminds me, I did a NES version of "The Beginning Of Something Really Excellent"/Gardener a while back. I don't think I posted it here: http://tindeck.com/listen/gbmf

Awesome :allears:

Is there any resources I can read on to help me compose music? I want to make happy little chiptunes but I can never make music that sounds anything that isn't a random bunch of notes. I understand chords and minor scales and stuff but I don't understand how to compose a solid line of notes to work with. I can't even compose my own drum beat. How do most people start with stuff like this? With drawing, some people start with a scribble and work from there. How can I do the same with art?

I've never been a creative person in life, and have devoted a lot of time to maths and programming instead, but I want to learn to make music, since it would really be a cool talent to have.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 6, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

It's an interesting question, because writing melodies is my weak point too: I've got pretty decent at writing rhythm sections (i.e. bass, chords and drums, although I need to improve my drums) but still struggle to find actual tunes to lay over the top of them.

I think I learnt a fair bit by finding as many MIDIs as I could and opening them up in things like Microsoft DirectMusic Producer and Anvil Studio to just look at them and see what makes them tick. Wikipedia can also be a handy resource for learning about things like blues scales and so on.

Hm, I was going to try opening as many midis as I could find and check for distances between notes and whatnot. I guess I'll try that. But yeah, if anyone has any help or resources or ways they learnt (looking at you WellManicuredMan :colbert: ), please, share if you can! :)

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised that the Musician's Lounge doesn't have a thread for that. There's primers on specific instruments and stuff at the top (most of which boil down to "find a teacher") and a thread on sound replication, but nothing I can find about composition.

Actual advice wise, listen to more music like you want to make. Like, a lot more. If you try to think of a tune and can only come up with deliberately random notes or an existing tune you heard somewhere, you probably aren't listening to enough. Eventually it should all just sort of blend together in your head and you'll be able to think of something that sounds a little bit like all the stuff you've been listening to, but isn't exactly any one of them.

(Disclaimer: I am not a music man, just another person like you with creativity problems. I've found that "shove a bunch of stuff in your brain, set to 'puree', pour out result" is a pretty generically applicable method for 'faking*' creativity or inspiration for anything that needs those things, at least for getting some ideas to start with.)

*pretty sure this is how it really works for everyone though, and I'm just a sperg for not being able to do it subconsciously

Hmh. I listen to music pretty much all the time, but yeah, I'll try doing that and not just listen to it but study the note patterns as said above. I've had no creativity in life, constantly failed english, never was able to draw, but I've always been good at recreating things with vectors and programming, so learning something creative is a little difficult. I like how I don't ever have problems with technicalities though due to the way I think. I learnt the entirety of how to use Famitracker, my first tracker, in a day, just like I've learnt almost entire programming languages in a day.

My mind works really mechanically as it seems yours does (well you are a robot~ ), and that's most likely the reason I've never been too creative, because I try and break everything down into logic or mathematics.

I'll try all this out and hopefully have something to show for it one day :3:

Edit: I suppose I should also mention I have a piano keyboard and I was trained in super basic piano about.. six or more years ago, so while I don't quite remember how to play, I can still read notes, which is nice. I might get it out and screw around with it some time, also maybe try and learn some homestuck songs!

Edit2: vvv And that's where I fall through. I can get technique right all the time. I even give people tips on how to draw properly and shade properly and how to learn new skills, even though I don't know these skills myself, and the advice almost always works, since it's based in logic. I don't know how to force myself to think creatively, and that's why I'm asking for resources. I can't take that first step and view the world in a new way after being grounded like this for so long~

Jewel fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 6, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I'd suggest musictheory.net but that doesn't really help much for creativity problems. Coming up with original melodies is hard for everyone, and that's probably why I do so much Homestuck fan music. If you're desperate, you can take your chord progression and your scale and plop down notes on them and rearrange them until you get a melody. But when it comes to me, sometimes I end up thinking, "I've heard a melody that goes kind of like this before, but what if I play it on horns instead of strings, maybe with a different countermelody, and change up this phrase in the middle?" Creativity is about taking things you've heard or seen before and thinking of a new way to realize them.

I have to second "listen to a lot of the music you want to make." As long as I've been interested in music I've been listening to primarily film, video game, and anime soundtracks and it's pretty much defined how I approach composition. When you've given an active listen to the genre you're interested in you sort of get an innate feel for how to build something that sounds like it, even though soundtracks encompass an enormous range of styles.

Oh and speaking of music, I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for a song about the Signless based on modifying and rearranging the melody of the Soviet Union's national anthem, and I think I might finally get to work on it so I can enter it into the contest.

Thanks! Also, I shut down, got in bed, then remembered I needed to ask you a question. Where in the world did you get all your instrument samples (I need to get my hands on all of them), and what program do you use?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Loden Taylor posted:

e: Since I'm in teacher mode, I'll keep going. When you listen, don't just passively hear the music, actively pick it apart with your ears. Listen for melodic contour: where does the melody rise? Where does it fall? Is it moving stepwise or by leaps? Listen for structure: what is the form of the music? What are the repeated sections? Are they the same each time, or are there variations? How would you map it out - if you call the first section A, the second B, and so on, what would it look like? ABABA? ABCBA? ABA'BA? Also listen for dynamics. Where does the music get louder, and where is it softer, and to what effect? Go ahead and take notes, and as your understanding of music theory deepens, revisit songs you've listened to and see what new things you can hear.

Hahah, last thing I'll say on the matter for a while, since you guys gave me more than enough information (Thanks so much!) but I accidentally did this last night before I read your post. I say accidentally because I was laying in bed TRYING to sleep but music just kept drifting into my head and forcing me to analyse it a little. I ended up not being able to sleep until 3am :T

I'll definitely check out a book or two if I can find them, and also WellManicuredMan, thanks for the suggestion on the EQWL. I'll check if a friend has it (I've never really known what I was specifically looking for, so I couldn't ask) for me to play around with, and if not, I might get it when I'm a bit better in a few months time.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I figured I'd better make some progress on my contest entrant Homestuck starts up again and I lose all my willpower. It's not fully mixed and mastered yet (as you can tell), but I've got the general composition down pat.

It's a song about John. You can tell it's a song about John because its title is a pun on "heir". Also because it almost quotes a few lines from Showtime and Doctor, but I tried to make them subtle.

Also, you just reminded me. Even if you somehow manage to not get a place in the contest (or even if you do), you should try and talk to the homestuckgaiden.bandcamp people and see if you can get your own fanalbum up some time! It'd give you a lot more of a fanbase and a greater chance that you'll maybe even be able to sell some non-homestuck albums a lot easier after homestuck is finished!

Edit: vvv That'd be fine; as long as you keep linking them here! I don't have a Tumblr because I have too much to worry about than checking yet another social networking site every few minutes, so I can't follow you on it.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 9, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I can sort of see a resemblance.

Edit: Also gamecube is the best console and the controller is the best controller.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 16, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Rooreelooo posted:

I like how hussie said that naming the character Dick would be too obvious and unfunny, whereas he had three characters under the name Ace Dick in problem sleuth. I was honestly expecting him to be called dick just so it would be a callback to problem sleuth. Imagine all the fiesta jokes he could have made

I expected it to be Dick for the Dick and Jane jokes actually!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I... think this is done? I'm not sure. I still have a few weeks to work on it but I don't really know where else to go with it.

Edit: Changed the link to a more up to date one.

Edit2: I don't know why I did this

Huh. The melody reminds me of the Zelda: Skyward Sword theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN1vFESbfZk

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hussie's Tumblr posted:

Sleepwalk notes
Song: Even in Death by Plazmataz, from Volume 7.

Two word answer to FAQ “I don’t get it”: dream bubbles.
I probably wouldn’t have even bothered with the animation if I didn’t make the little SOPA blackout animation that preceded it. Once that was there it just seemed like a good springboard for a bigger animation. Otherwise I probably would have just made a few static panels, and likely not conveyed nearly as much.
And I only came up with the idea for the SOPA blackout flash-redirect on the same day it was posted.
The seat of my pants is like a magic carpet, and I am singing to you while we swoop over Arabia. You are Jasmine, and you’re smitten as hell.
Jaffar is all the congressmen who got owned yesterday.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I love this line:

quote:

Here is a Lord English. Bear in mind these were requested almost a year ago. I am sure this generous donor thought they had found a clever loophole and could find out what he looked like long before anyone else did. Little did they know I had an ace up my sleeve: massive procrastination.

Good ol' Hussie :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Update.

Is that.. half of a cancer symbol? Also have we seen those horns before?

ALSO HOLY poo poo THE PICTURE oh godddd.