Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Yup, it's around 13/14 minutes. Although it crashed right at the end for me. I really liked the (music choice spoilers)heavy metal choice of music. Very different from the past flash music choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Bogart posted:

Alright, you bastards who have actually seen it, give us a summary.
To tell you the truth I would need to re watch it to understand all the stuff that happened in it. But for the summary:

It's worth the wait.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Can't tell when to start watching. drat.
It was just showing the ending of the flash. So I guess it would be restarted soon.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think you may be overselling it a bit here.
I would say so too, but I would assume diehard Homestuck fans may actually have their heart stop from watching this.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm not getting this Aradia is evil vibe that everyone else is, did I miss something?
I don't see this either, but I can explain that people like to call all characters evil/Lord English.

And judging from my friends reactions, people seem to easily interpret what happened in the flash wrong. Like one of my friends said that Lord English was summoned and that Rose, David, and Aradia were going to fight him. Also that Lord English was going to kill Sollux. And that WV was Lord English. I can't imagine what other silly theories people have made up too.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

We don't know for sure that this isn't what we saw! I think the possibility that the Green Sun itself is Lord English (although obviously he has other manifestations) is not an unreasonable interpretation.
Yes, but people in this thread have also said that Dave and Rose are going to fight Aradia, or that Dave/Rose/Aradia are all going to be working for Lord English. This diverse interpretation on the same events we all saw is interesting in it's own way, but my friend was acting like that his idea was the only thing that happened. But hey theories can be right sometimes, just like that pawn picture shows.

Also, looking up reaction videos for the flash and playing them all at once is very entertaining.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Ainsworth posted:

I kinda expected him to look more demonic than a skull and being hulk huge. Like something lovecraftian or giygas like.

Maybe it'll happen if he has another form! who knows!

Also at some point I wondered if LE would end up being the evil version of God Pickle inspector who doesn't just fondle creation.
The theory my friend and I made was that this is LE first form, and because LE is basically a final boss he will have multiple forms. Also he was blabbering about how LE takes a bit of his appearance from the first thing prototyped, which was Cal (and I guess it would also explain LE's red cheeks). Don't know how true that is but it makes sense.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I think the MindFang journal stuff was a bit much (wasn't the length, just the way it was written), but the long pesterlogs were fine. Watching Karkat yell at his past, present, and future selves was great.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I think what seperates Homestuck from other webcomics is Hussie's writing style. It's not literary genius, but his writing is very entertaining and that's what keeps me coming back to HS. But HS does have flaws, like not all the trolls are fleshed out to name one example. Probably the biggest issue is not Hussie's fault though, and that is that the story isn't finished yet. Hussie is essentially releasing a novel page by page, meaning that some events maybe confusing and it's not possible for the reader to just turn to the next page to see what is happening.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I agree that Homestuck has flaws, but uh. That's not one of them. Most of the trolls are minor characters. Not every character needs to be as fleshed out as, say, Vriska.
Characters like Aradia and Gamzee are very important characters, but are barely fleshed out. There's no way to really understand their motives beyond "he a clown who went crazy, she a maid o time". We can relate to Karkat and Vriska very well since Hussie spent time on these characters, but that's what it comes down to is time. If he had the chance he probably could have made the trolls have more character than their initial gimmicks, but he has to prioritize. Obviously Karkat and Vriska will be very important later on and that's why they have more character than others, but it would have been nice if for example Gamzee's rampage or Jack's rampage were more than "hope my fav troll dont die".

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Color Printer posted:

The flashing phrases remind me of They Live, though it took someone pointing them out for me to realize they were there in the first place.
It's definitely a reference to They Live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lwlx3GnLGs

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

I really want to be all excited about the new kids but honestly my heart is stuck with the trolls and I'm not so interested in this arc given I'm pretty sure that Hussie has decided to kill em all to clear the way for more human kids.

Human kids are so god damned boring.
And that's what people said when the troll arc started. Give it some time, they may even become your new favorite characters.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

_Endgame_ posted:

http://i.imgur.com/GUGKJ.jpg

I'm not sure what to even say about that, Hussie has said "yes" >.>
I have no idea what he's suppose to be, but the baby blue and sunglasses reminds me of only one thing. Horatio.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Rasamune posted:

1) They don't — they look like the guardians of the previous session. In fact, they ARE the guardians of the previous session.
2) Whoever told you that was wrong.
Just to reinforce this, it shows 4 kids on this page: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006021

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I think the auto responder maybe lying to Rose (just like he was messing with Jake) to start something, which is why the auto responder is hiding the chats with Rose from Dirk. In past pesterlogs Dirk seems to just think of Jake as his dumb friend, and Jake just thinks Dirk is a bit annoying.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Cabbit posted:

I think the amount of mental gymnastics people are going through to avoid having to admit that Dirk is gay is pretty astonishing.
Now that's the tricky question, but I was mainly on the subject of Jake and Dirks relationship. They seem to have just a regular friendship, never saw any of something more from the past pesterlogs. All we got is AR's word, which he could possibly be an unreliable narrator judging from him playing games with Jake. But it could go the other way too!

I'm interested in what Dirk actually talks to AR about in private though.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Saradiart posted:

You can have a complex plot without ridiculous cliffhangers.

For example, instead of having notVriska walk up and Jake suddenly wake up at that exact moment to leave the reader wondering about the intentions... you could just have her go "Oh hi, I'm blahblahblah."

I mean, that conversation is eventually coming.

I think it also shows up in the drummed up mystery of the identity of characters. Why can't we see what UU looks like? What critical revelation is a character's appearance really going to have on the story?

I don't get the "shadowy man" cliche that so many works of fiction seem to love as a cliffhanger device.

It worked in Act 5.1 when we saw a glimpse of Equius and Vriska before turning away to other characters. We had a logical reason to avoid them (Equius is creepy; Vriska is a jerk). Here it's just drama for the sake of drama.
They are only really cliffhangers in the sense that we can't see the next update. Homestuck flows better when you can read it without the "waiting for next update" interruption. The downside (or maybe upside from the way you look at it) with reading HS update to update is that you are stuck with over-analyzing each page to search for clues/figure out what will happen next.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
While Dirk and Roxy do have futuristic stuff, this is the same exact case for Jade and Rose back at the beginning of Homestuck.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Rose didn't have that much futuristic stuff? Unless you're counting the entirety of the Skaianet Labs as amongst her "stuff". She only got the hubtop and scouter as a result of alchemy from there. And I think those labs are the exception to the rule.
Rose had the labs, but the bigger point is Jade. She's got robots and teleporters, just like Roxy and Dirk.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
This has been on my mind for a while, so I'll have to let it out. Homestuck is the ultimate Jumanji.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Probably the biggest surprise (and I was a future nay sayer too!) was hearing a small sample of acid house in the flash's song. What track was used in the flash, was it new or pre-existing from an album?

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Zach, the coffee is just giving them a clue for their investigation.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Bobulus posted:

As I recall, Beaton got a bit upset about that one, because the edit removed her name/website, and then got passed around tumblr a lot. :(

edit: The originals don't have her name/website on them, so it was probably an accident, but still, people need to remember to credit her, like we're doing here.
I think that was something else. https://twitter.com/#!/beatonna/statuses/173474106740711425

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

That implies that Dave doesn't think that Karkat is terrible. Which I'm pretty sure he does. And not in the special way that trolls attach to a terrible person, just the normal way you hate a broken douche that is *literally* scheduling a girls time without her knowledge, like she is property.
Considering Dave had no interest in how trollmance works, he's no more no less just annoyed at Karkat for being a weirdo. Karkat on the other hand... well I'm guessing this isn't going to be the last time we will be seeing awkward romance moments from him.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Megaspel posted:

Homestuck has been alright, but when is it going to end? It seems like it's been dragged on way past it's prime and artificially extended purely for the fans. It's getting pretty stale.
Well the reason why it's slow right now is because it had to introduce the new characters, but Hussie has said that everything pretty much gone as he planned.

I mean there hasn't been any clear ending anyways, so I don't get where your coming from with the artificial extension. Though I'm curious, in your opinion when was Homestuck's "prime"?

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

Yeah, kinda my fault for placing the wrong link. My apologies there, everybody. Since, you know, apparently TVTropes is such a terrible place. :rolleyes:

You want facts? Cry For Justice. another story that used this. It killed a little girl for shock value and then was used to expand her own father's storyline in later books. Early Black Canary books, where her kidnapping and resident assault was used to expand Green Arrow's character and not her own. Just a fair start.

But I agree mainly with Ze Pollock; the deaths were pointless and stupid. When you have characters, do something with them or find meaning somewhere with what you made. If you can't find anything, then make them supporting and say so, or kill them by their actions effecting the plot.

But in Tavros' case, I didn't see it in that perspective or means. That does help.
You are looking too much at the characters deaths in Homestuck, when your problem lies more in the characters themselves.

The reason a lot of trolls deaths seemed pointless was, like others as said, Hussie bit off more than he could chew with introducing so many new characters and couldn't flesh all of them out. It's not related at all to this "fridging" trope.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Vaah posted:

I'm loving the almost Aphex Twin vibe I'm getting from Gold Mage.
That song actually samples Pulsewidth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVrSr-yxqmE

But from what I can tell the rest of that song is originally made, and the sample seems edited enough that it isn't that shameless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

creationist believer posted:

I just feel like I need to say it... Does anyone else feel like at about 3:10 in Rain, there's a sound that sounds like someone chewing on a pen and breathing heavily or something like that? It's always grossed me out and kinda ruined Medium as a soundtrack to me... :\ It only lasts like 10 or 20 seconds and I guess I'm just sensitive about it. Especially since the other 6 minutes of that song are so great :|
I think it's suppose to be an attempt at some type of water sound (either rushing water or stepping through wet mud) but yes it just ends up sounding like that.