Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

I could have sworn it was SOMEONE IS TRIGGERING ME.

Yeah, it's Mituna who's yelling SOMEONE IS TOUCHING ME and then Kankri chimes in with SOMEONE IS TRIGGERING ME a few lines later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SteelAngel2000 posted:

They obviously weren't ready for it and now Gamzee has a cod-piece so he's covered. Also he's God Tier now.

But seriously Gamzee is the strongest troll especially when in murder mode, has psychic powers, and dealt the most damage to the Black King during the trolls climactic fight. He'd smack Kanaya down in a one-on-one duel and it wouldn't be close.

And because we're on the topic of Gamzee, there's something I was wondering. During Dave and Gamzee's conversation where he reveals that he made the kids' session terminal... How did that work? And why did he mess with John when it was Dave that he was raging at?

Gamzee instilled the fear of clowns into John that led Dad to shower him with harlequin-based merch which eventually got John's kernel prototyped with a harlequin doll that annoyed Jack enough to make him rebel which allowed him to violently derail the session. So by that token he is "responsible" for causing the kids' session to go terminal, although causality in Homestuck is a giant clusterfuck and just about everything that's happened is interdependent on everything else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's odd, but I kind of wish that Sollux had had an opportunity to do more in the story. I mean, I know he's still alive and still does have a chance, but it feels like he kind of got sidelined without really actively doing that much; he wrote SGRUB, lost a duel with Eridan, and burned himself out propelling the meteor to the green sun, but otherwise he's been straddling this kind of weird line between the one-note characters who wound up dead, like Eridan, Equius, and Nepeta, and those who received actual character development.

Straddling lines between opposing dual natures is kind of Sollux's schtick :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Well Manicured Man posted:

I like to think of the Beta kids' session as a tool-assisted speedrun.

* Uses glitches
* Uses death to save time

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

How long did the beta kids' session last again? Wasn't it just a day or two or something?

I think it's like 30 hours or so, it's established that Dave's main time loop consisted of replaying the same 24-hour period prior to the Scratch and Dave got in some hours after John did.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Comic posted:

I that's to make the white on his tattoo stand out more, while still messing around with a more limited palette, while also contrasting with Jake's white and the white of Dirk's hair.

I say this mostly because robots have been obviously such until now.

It's not uncommon for Hussie to color kids' bodies various shades of gray for contrast. I suspect the sword thing is simply an art error.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

The whole time-skip thing is very much in keeping with Hussie's style (show a dramatic thing happening, then jump forward and let the readers work out the consequences) but I do worry that in this case it might be underscoring how the post-scratch kids aren't really as important as the main kids. Which they're not, narratively, they're supporting cast, but it'd be a bit of a pity for them to be introduced at great expense then shuffled out of the way to make room for the 'real' story's arrival.

The only pity is that the time skipping didn't come earlier and more often.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Of course, I was also partly thrown due to a divergence in allusions: Caliborn's name is a warping of Caliban, who is very different kettle of fish (so to speak). (And incidentally, recent suggestions that Calliope is somehow invisible reproduce The Tempest's binary of a very earthy, aggressive Caliban and an ethereal, helpful Ariel.)

I suspect the more relevant allusion is that Caliborn's name is almost identical to the Latinized form of Caledfwlch, Caliburn (aka Excalibur.) There's been various foreshadowings of a throwdown between Caliborn and Dave, who has a habit of breaking swords including ones named after Caledfwlch. Dave's gonna snap that motherfucker in two :allears:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

Think about the time John impersonated Rose while talking with Kanaya. We, the audience, knew what was going on, but Kanaya was totally lost and that was where the humor came from.

That was before Kanaya had ever talked to Rose, so she had no idea what Rose was supposed to be like. As soon as she started talking to Rose for real she noticed that "Rose" was acting differently this time. So the trolls or B1 kids could be easily fooled, but the B2 kids know Calliope.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheDemon posted:

:getin: getting in so hard on this theory. Would explain a lot.

I'm probably reading too much into this, but some quick number crunching suggests that a basic ring of pure gold could plausibly be rolled into about a square yard of gold foil, or at least that's what their comparative weights suggest.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Kankri's problem is that he's an egotistical shithead. He enables both Horuss's and Cronus's problems and straight up tells Mituna that things would be better if he didn't exist.

It's come up before, but he's pretty much the anti-Karkat. Horrible person masked with diatribes about justice and caring.

I dunno, I might be giving him too much credit but I kind of see him as an endearingly tragic figure. I got the impression that he does have enough self-awareness to realize deep down that he's making an utter mockery of everything he believes in, but he's stuck denying it to himself. That's basically what's going on with his feelings for Latula, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see some of the same with his social justice crusade.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

To remind you that Gamzee is carting around the carcasses of his friends and draining their blood into bottles. I.E. that he's a loving sociopath, albeit a mollified one.

Gamzee is helpful! He is trying to bring them back via kernelsprites. He is even thoughtful enough to keep their blood as backups in case something happens to the bodies. What a stand up guy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheDemon posted:

My basic number crunching, using this calculator, suggests that you don't quite have enough gold to do that. I'm no expert on gold, but some quick googling seems to suggest that a pretty thin sheet of gold foil might be around 0.001 inches. Plug that and 36 by 36 inches into the calculator works out to 410 grams of gold, which is way more than a ring weighs. (Googling also suggests that it can be much thinner, but I wasn't able to get any numbers and reducing the square yard weight to the about 12 grams a pretty heavy ring weighs ends up being absurdly thin).

It's not all that absurd. One-thousandth of an inch is a pretty heavy gauge of gold foil, this is stuff that is frequently measured in millionths of an inch. Gold be crazy malleable yo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Line Feed posted:

The way I figure it, Yaldabaoth is not actually the Heart denizen at all. On rare occasions a player's normal denizen gets swapped out for Yaldabaoth.

Could be. Alternately, the player roles might have gotten a bit hosed up by the one player dead session. Heart is after all the element of "self", seems pretty natural that Yaldy would have some things to talk to Caliborn about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chexoid posted:

Also be aware that wearing a God Tier hoodie marks you as a target for homestuck weirdos to talk to when you're on the bus or something.

Get a hoodie that looks very similar to a god tier hoodie, then glare questioningly at anyone who tries to talk to you about Homestuck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Well this is pretty dark all of a sudden, all the B2 kids we care about are in major distress and also I guess Dirk/Jake/Jane have problems too :ohdear:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A good poster posted:

You'll have to code your own fetch modus. Can you implement a Linked-List modus that doesn't lose items to pointer errors?

Using pointer errors to manipulate game code will be a vital part of solving the game. :eng101:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Indie Rocktopus posted:

It's unclear how much of Jane's display is supercharged Life power and how much is a result of Trickster mode... But I wonder if Jane could bring a ghost back to life? Or turn a little green skull monster into a flesh-and-blood person?

I get the impression that reviving the dead planet was supposed to be part of Jane's whole puzzle quest adventure dealie, so if trickster powers are a cheat mode I suspect it does have more to do with "beating" all the game objectives. She has ALL THE CODES and wins the game almost instantly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

I really liked this update, and I am surprised that it has its detractors. Over the past five days, what I've been hearing on here and on other forums (tumblr) is that characters need to be proactive and stand up against Gamzee. In this update, Jake, Rose and Karkat all did what people wanted them to do: acted against Gamzee. Of course none of it was particularly effective, yet, but even if its not leading to plot development, we have character development.

As for the people who say the story doesn't go anywhere: I think that one thing to remember is that if we were to read all the updates from the beginning of September (the end of the last Homosuck to now), it would take maybe an hour. If you are reading through it at that rate, it would seem like the story was developing at a rapid pace, and it would be hard to keep up with all the developments. Its just when it is spread out over 6+ weeks that it seems to be moving at a glacial pace with false starts and stops.

The story is going somewhere. Imagine skipping from the end of Cascade to this update, and you would obviously feel like lots of things had happened in the story.

This particular update is pretty ho hum just because it spends a whole lot of space to do literally nothing. 30 pages of status quo and the only development is the Condesce has arrived. I have really enjoyed this sub-act in general, though, and I don't think it feels like it's treadmilling at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

Still I had hoped for Tom's involvement somehow, he's done nice fanart and guest strips before though not of home stuck.

Also of Homestuck!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I read the whole thing out of morbid curiosity and I still have no idea what it's about or who it's for.

Despite claiming repeatedly to the contrary, it definitely seems to throw The Odd Gentlemen under the bus with some mild mitigation.

I guess someone recently posted, and then updated, an attempt to document the development mishaps that plagued Hiveswap, which might have been the catalyst for the Kickstarter post.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Plom Bar posted:

guess the NDA expired

There are a few more details but they're still dancing around and toeing the line, so either they're still worried about legal blowback or the truth is not as favorable as they would like. I dunno about all the allegations that have been raised but it does seem likely to me that at a minimum Hussie probably legitimately pissed away a lot of paid dev time by putting The Odd Gentlemen on the clock and then not delivering a design doc for them to work from. They can say "we gave them $800k and they burned through 600k without anything to show for it" because it's technically true, but if the main reason is because they never gave them any real work then they can't actually claim any malfeasance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How does that align with the emails Hussie quotes showing that the Odd Gentlemen refused to meet with him? Or with the video he links to that shows how unsalvageable the early product was?

I think that Hussie's providing cites puts his explanation way ahead of that anonymous Tumblr (was it?) post.

While Hussie's explanation has a lot more details, the only one that contradicts the idea that he simply never gave The Odd Gentlemen anything concrete to work on until too late is his claim that WP fulfilled its deliverables by 2014, which is itself contradicted by his own Kickstarter updates claiming that the design docs were "almost done" in mid-2014. It's possible Hussie was just being charitable to his partners but at this point the relationship had already broken down and they were stonewalling him. But he positively admits that at least part of the delay was on him.

I think it's fairly clear that Hussie and Odd Gentlemen had very different ideas of what their respective obligations to the project were, and it seems likely that The Odd Gentlemen's interpretation was the more technically correct one. It's entirely possible that Hussie thought he had given them enough to work with by the end of 2013, and also that the cost of keeping on staff during the delays even up until that point was not coming out of the project budget.