Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So hey, I just wanna say that I called the EoA being dropped on 10/25 just for the sake of it being on 10/25, but people shot it down because Hussie didn't care about hitting "special date" deadlines in the past.

Anyway welcome back MSPA thread I missed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

marsattacks posted:

This is lame, but I'm honestly going to be really sad when Homestuck is over. It's a great story, and I wish I'd gotten into it a year ago.

I'm not the only one, right?

Right?
In theory Hussie will start another MSPaint Adventure for everyone to be obsessed about, even greater than the last.

That... that's going to be a thing that will happen, right?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Well gently caress, I got about four minutes in and then got an error message. I then started cursing wildly because I expected it to be some sort of meta-troll by the Huss, but apparently not.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If anyone posts unmarked spoilers I will hunt you down and kick you in the shame-globes, propelling you into a bottomless pit.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Reene posted:

ALTERNATE FLASH LINK

I WARNED YOU ABOUT HOSTING BRO. I TOLD YOU DOG.
Knew it was too good to be true.

Still absolutely loathe you right now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I managed to see a lovely streamed iteration of it.

Holy gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

ACTUAL SPOILER I think that's because she merged with Jadesprite. She's now a God and her alternate deadself and a First Guardian and a dog combined.
CONTINUATION OF ACTUAL SPOILER Well, that she's her alternate deadself is a given. One of the rules of going god-tier is that it uses up your dreamself if you have one, remember everything we learned from Vriska? To what extent she has retained the First Guardian powers, I don't know, but it probably has some effect.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Momboy posted:

I rewatched it closely to check. That particular shot starts out with the end of a conversation between Gamzee and Scratch, zoomed out too far to make out what is being said. It zooms in to the last bit, which is only a snippet, cut off horizontally so all you can see of Gamzee's message is:
TC: oh yeah?
TC: AND JUST WHAT TH
TC: that we motherfuckin
TC: :o?

Then he highlights the line under it, which reads "Suckers."
Then we see the explosion from derse's moon creating the green sun (I think? I'm not as sure about that last part, but it's quite clear at the very least that Gamzee was just slowly highlighting the "suckers" and not typing it)

"that's all done motherfuckin white texted bro" "NOW WHAT?" (two lines of unreadable white text) "oh yeah?" "AND JUST WHAT THE MOTHERFUCK IS IT" "that we motherfuckin are?" ":o?" "S u c k e r s ."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

drat chimera posted:

So did Noir's MYSTERY ARM BLOOD end up being Clubs Deuce? Or was it WV
No idea, because if you pay attention his arm is completely clean the entire flash except for points where it flashes forward. He never actually picks up the blood at any point, it appears he spontaneously gains it when he jumps into the Troll-verse. Plot hole?

edit: wait, the WV explanation makes the most sense yeah

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Not at all. I'm guessing it was put in there to make Alternia look more alien and was colored pink in contrast to the other moon's green.

Not that it would matter now, what with the entire universe exploded.
I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure the universe isn't entirely exploded and over, it's just that the timeline has ended in the future at the point where Spades Slick shot Snowman. The Trolls, for instance, are still alive.

It's not like the entire universe scratching and hard resetting, like what happened for the kids.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

loquacius posted:

That said I'm STILL not sure how I feel about him being the one to get moirailed instead of Vriska. Not that I was her hugest fan for most of her existence, of course, but she really could have gotten her showboating rear end calmed right the gently caress down just as easily as Gamzee had. All it would have taken is Kanaya finding her on that roof instead of Terezi, and she was much closer to redemption than Gamzee was or is.
Kanaya had her chance, after the showdown, to get Vriska to calm the gently caress down and play nice. In the end, Vriska's impulse to get her fight on against Jack was just too strong, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

Not necessarily; Kanaya's tried to reason with Vriska before and it hasn't worked, and it's possible that Karkat's shooshing efforts may have been bolstered by his title as the Knight of Blood. From Greek medical humor theory we get the word "sanguine", which literally means "bloody" but which is more commonly used to describe a chill, content demeanor; maybe Karkat's Hero of Blood power is DOING THE SHOOSHY THING.
Karkat's Hero of Blood power may literally be Being The Troll Messiah. That is, uniting the various different bloodlines of the trolls, and keeping the team together and functional as long as possible.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

rokkit posted:

I guess Scratch really was an 'excellent host' after all.

(nightmares.)
oh god

Bluemidget posted:

Was that the Vast Honk?
... Yes, I believe we can reasonably ascertain that that was indeed the Vast Honk. There cannot be any Honks that are any Vaster than that Honk. It is inconceivable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eiba posted:

Of course, our universe was just reset, so I guess he's more likely to enter through post-scratch Bec or his equivalent.
Bec likely won't exist in Post-Scratch Kid Universe, the first guardian will likely be manipulated into being a different manifestation of Doc Scratch. Bec likely doesn't even work as a link to Lord English, it probably has to directly be one of his "seeds".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

Cairo overcoat (a slang term for sarcophagus)
Oh god dammit.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

No, gently caress you guys, Lord English is horrific. Also this is probably just the beginning and he will probably mutate into some Gigas-esque formless mostly-green-but-tinged-with-the-color-of-every-billiard-ball all-consuming cloud at some juncture too, and the cloud is actually the size of the entire universe. And it contains everything that has ever existed or ever will exist.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm finally making an archive trawl after delaying it for so long and a lot of the memories are coming back now.

Remember back when a lot of people complained about (half) an entire act dedicated to the trolls? I think we can all say the payoff was well worth it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Going through the archives, it's kinda sad reading Karkat's first interactions with the kids (earliest chronologically for the kids, that is), because he's loving broken compared to how he is most of the time due to how much he has gone through, and he's just trying to get them to listen but it's the first or second time they've ever talked to him and they just tell him to gently caress off.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

El Wombato posted:

Well, when you think about it, Scratch died and was reborn/transformed/whatever into a more powerful being. This is essentially the god tier mechanic minus the quest bed aspect.
Also he in all likelihood entirely lost his identity, which is not typically an aspect of the God Tier function

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Homestuck might have to be a book series, really, if you'd want to really keep the authenticity. Someone did the word count and it's nearly as long as Lord of the Rings. It'd have to be pretty much completely rewritten but it could very well be made into a trilogy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Pretty sure it only came out to two-thirds the length of LotR, which is still massively long, but considering that Act 6 and 7 are supposed to be shorter than Act 5, I doubt Hussie's going to break that word count.
"Shorter than act 5" is relative, considering act 5 was longer than the rest of the comic put together. If acts six and seven are only a little shorter than act five it could get there.

Unrelatedly, it occurs to me during my archive trawl that this chatlog right here may very well have been the last thing John saw before he caused the Scratch. Awkward conversations abound on the other side.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 7, 2011

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I only just now kinda got the whole "Speaker of the Vast Croak"/"Speaker of the Vast Joke" thing. There's no huge significance behind it, I can just sorta imagine agents of the black kingdom being all "MORE LIKE A VAST JOKE AMIRITE".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Level Slide posted:

I think it was just a derogatory term the Dersites used for the Vast Croak. Scratch talked about it a little during his exposition about the Signless.
Kanaya also mentions it

anyway look at this comic http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005288

Cal "abandoned Hussie for Captain Hook"

Lord English has a peg leg

I don't think it's a coincidence

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

(regarding Kanaya transforming into a a glowing vampire thing)
AA: you are undergoing a metamorphosis which you have been groomed for since you were very young
AA: much like i was for my various personal iterations including this one (referencing her reaching God Tier)

Considering the suspicious circumstances by which her dreamself found itself on that quest bed along with strange statements like this, it kinda tosses another one on the "Aradia is working for Lord English, whether she knows it/is willing or not" wagon.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cyrai posted:

This is a random question that I've never been able to figure out: what word is 8r8k supposed to be? The only word I can think of is 'break', but Vriska uses 8s either in place of Bs or in place of the sound 'ate', and 'break' doesn't have a T sound anywhere. Is she using it differently in just this one place, or is it some other word that I just can't think of?
Break, yeah. And the second 8 is supposed so sound like the eigh- sound in eight, just with the t silent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

welp time to lock the thread again

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cheeseball IV posted:

I hope John's dad somehow becomes a player in the new session, despite being just a regular dude and not a destined hero forged from ectogoo.
No sorry John's dad-brother is dead forever, in fact he never actually existed

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also there's their very chat tags, which are reflections of one another: John's is ectoBiologist, and Karkat's is carcinoGeneticist. John's refers to his ectobiological role, and Karkat's is loving loading with symbolism: the carcino part refers to him representing the Cancer part of the Zodiac, and references how he caused the cancer in the universe, it's him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Um hey guys how could the kids be the only humans on earth if kid-Nanna over there has posters of Jeff Foxworthy and the like on her walls and there's a Ben Stiller-Owen Wilson movie out?

Use your think pans for once

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jake being named English scares me and I am positive it will mean something very bad, though not necessarily for Jake himself. I feel it might be foreshadowing regarding Jade.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Of course, the lovely stories and details people write about their fan trolls are not canon

They all are just, you know, there. Existing in Alternia, or possibly a part of Her Condensce's invasion fleet. And now they are all dead.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

President Ark posted:

This does tell us that creating items through different means costs different amounts of grist, which is potentially interesting information.
One assumes that the less efficient a combination is, the more the cost will be, even if you're trying to make something mundane. Thus, the 100 trillion grist cost to just make a hat when combining such disparate poo poo as a plant, a Dutton book and the goddamn Matriorb.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Unrelated speculation for the record: my speculation and suggestion for young Bro's name is Buck. It just sounds... right.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Boneless Jogger posted:

Hahaha, I like the callback to this page
Jane isn't actually the scratched version of Nanna, she's a genderbent young version of Dad

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

And we will discover that post-scratch, MSPaint Adventures is made by none other than Mr. Ryan North, necessitating another author-avatar smackdown to regain control of the comic.
And the author avatar fight happens entirely on Jane's computer screen, which she eventually exits out of complaining of "yet more of the author's over-indulgent behavior", and considers "taking a break from reading the comic"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

snucks posted:

it is clearly lil cal, bro. these are the origins of lil cal.
the entirety of Homestuck is actually a lil cal origin story

Act 7 will be an epilogue segueing into an entirely new adventure with Lil Cal as the main protagonist.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

This is seriously way more adorable than it has any right to be.
She's kinda got a bit of :downs: going on.
I couldn't help myself.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Chic Trombone posted:

Oh my god, you guys.

The new Mom and Bro haven't even been revealed yet and there's already a loving ask blog. Turnaround time on this poo poo is getting ridiculous.
I have to admit I rather like the designs for both of them

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the latest comic looks perfectly normal.

I have a strange urge that just hit me to break up with my girlfriend, bake a big cake, eat the whole thing in one sitting because of my relationship depression and then fall into a food coma, though.

And the weird thing is I don't even have a girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Favourite thing about this set of updates is that Jane and Jake still talk in olde timey fifties era phrases and poo poo. Like cockamamie and egads and suchlike. Perfect.

I am going to, in my brain, extrapolate thus: that slang has progressed differently in post-scratch: Old people in this universe use out of date terms like "bitchin" and "awesome" and "that be tight dawg", whereas phrases like "horsefeathers" and "by jove" are the newest most hipest of shits.
how do you explain scratch!mom talking in textspeak, then?