Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Tollymain posted:

Guarantee you it'll happen at 1025

9:25 central :v:

content: I'm in the school of thought that the EOA will be part interactive and part standard flash. If that's the case, What i HOPE the interactive part will be is playing as John on LOHAC, in which you yourself have to scratch the beat mesa, all the while fighting off monsters trying to stop you. That would be such a sweet game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Anyone want to point out what already-known songs were used in the EOA? I recognized Savior of the Dreaming Dead and a slowed remix/edit of Black Rose Green Sun, but at least one other song sounded familiar.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Hjalmar posted:

Oh, and PM is going to lose to Jack, since this Jack still needs to go off and kill a bunch of trolls. Should be a neat fight though.

Nah, he did all that already, wrecking the kids' universe with Red Miles is the LAST thing Jack did on his timeline before PM showed up.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TheDemon posted:

What book was the white king carrying?

"Complacency of the Learned," Rose's wizard slash fiction that DD stole along with her transcribed MEOW code and discarded as unnecessary and was later picked up by WK as he entered the time capsule.

Why it or him came along at all seems to have been a red herring, as far as its relevance to the overall narrative at this point.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

haruspex posted:

If I was gonna guess, I would say just Nepeta, since she had all the foreshadowing with Jaspers as well as not appearing with DEAD next to her, which Equius did.

Counterpoint: Kanaya and Jade both had "Dead" tagged next to them as well and look how they turned out.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I don't remember this "deal with Echidna" that Jade made at all.

It was in the tail end of the picture-sets in the scratch section. Jade talks about it to Karkat and at the same time Davesprite discusses it from his perspective (as in with regard to Hephaestus) with Jadesprite.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Dizz posted:

I haven't had time to check the new album, but does it have the song [music?] from EOA5? I'm loving that part when Jade goes doG tier.
e: oh hey maybe it's the one called CASCADE :downs:

For the record, the part of the song specifically in which Jade goes doG tier and does the bulk of her awesome poo poo is called "Savior of the Dreaming Dead" and was originally released in Volume 7.

Also for the record I remember thinking/saying the first time I heard it, back when the album came out, that it really felt like "End of Act" music and I am so glad I was right, because it so is. Amazing use of it.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Android Blues posted:

My only nitpick with the flash is I really don't like the head-on view of Jade's face we get, it looks really goofy/amateurish in the middle of such a cool/important moment. Like the guy from El Goonish Shive contributed art.

I'm shocked to even heard mention of that comic on this forum. I didn't think it was very well known at all.

That being said, the art style of EGS is actually pretty decent, I think. I mean the comic has its problems, sure, and plenty of them, but the art isn't one of them, especially when you compare the first strips to more recent ones, it's one of the most drastic scales of improvement I've ever seen.

/derail

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

I know there's a lot of time and relativity fuckery going on here, but just bear with me because I'm not really quite following something.

In the shot where Gamzee is talking to Doc Scratch and he is calling them (us) all suckers, that's the point where "the most important character in homestuck fondly regards the miracle of a new beginning" as the clock timer hits 00:00, right? And we know now that the timer is the detonation of the tumor bomb and the creation of the green sun.

But isn't Gamzee still in murder-mode in that shot? He's talking in his murder-mode quirk, and other than Lil Cal appears to be alone. Does that mean his whole showdown with the other four surviving trolls has yet to happen and ultimately transpires AFTER the end of the timer? And if so, how long after? And why did it take that long for the beacon to appear? Just the rules of how long it would take for the light of the green sun to reach them from the furthest ring?

Help me Homestuck thread you're my only hope.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Reene posted:

He still has the typing quirk (because he's still out of sopor slime) but this is after Karkat pap-shooshed him into submission so he's not actively murdering people anymore.

This was my first thought at reasoning this out, but that doesn't explain why he appears to be alone with Lil Cal, especially since this theory seems to assume they see the green sun beacon immediately at its creation, and in the shot where it shows this, he's instead standing with all the other trolls, and Lil Cal is notably absent. So basically I'm running into logic brick walls at every turn here.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Oh, weird. I didn't know the track had art of its own - why does Bandcamp do that? Should have guessed something was up since it isn't much like their other work.

This came up at least once before in a previous MSPA thread and yeah, it's really frustrating, but nowhere moreso than in this case, because the track art for Black Rose / Green Sun is gorgeous and it bothers me to no end that it gets masked by some dumb formatting issue. Unfortunately no one seems to know how to do anything about it short of manually fiddling with it, but in my experience (at least with iTunes) that just manages to put the track art of the first song as the album cover art, which obviously is just moving the problem instead of fixing it....

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Considering all the Eldritch (for lack of a better adjective) stuff that happened during the later parts of Act 5, I think I'm supposed to understand nothing. Well, I understand a few things, just not everything.

No worries, this thread is generally very willing to help new fans understand the ridiculous complexities of Homestuck, so you can always ask questions. The MSPA wiki is also pretty thorough and can answer questions you may have as well.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Maybe I'm coming out of left field here, but I'm not as convinced as everyone else seems to be that "J" is the scratch-reset grandpa Harley. There's never really been any strong evidence to suggest it in my mind other than the 'supposedly being Jade's grandson' thing, and while that seems like a pretty strong clue and all, we still have no idea where these communications between jade and J are coming from/going to. How are they crossing between pre- and post-scratch versions of the kids' universe? I realize time is a big clusterfuck of temporal mechanics and all in this comic and the entire timelines of separate universes can exist independently of each other, but then this isn't two different universes we're talking about, this is two versions of the SAME universe (which isn't the same thing), one of which didn't exist until the other was destroyed. We've seen nothing whatsoever (concrete anyway) regarding a way the two versions of the kids' universe could send communiqués to each other. Hell, for all we know there won't BE a reset universe because maybe the tumor bomb went off before the Scratch took effect and the kids' universe is gone for good.

I mean don't get me wrong, there's a pretty solid chance it is indeed a Scratch-reset version of grandpa Harley, I just don't think it's nearly as much of a sure thing as everyone else seems to. Is it really so hard to believe that it's just good old-fashioned regular time fuckery at play here and Jade's been conversing with her real genuine grandson from the future?

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 31, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

voting third party posted:

I can't stop listening to Cascade. Black Rose / Green Sun and Savior of the Dreaming Dead were already good songs but Cascade is just great.

It should be noted that apparently the version of Black Rose / Green Sun heard during [S]Cascade was remixed heavily enough that it's considered its own song and is listed as Black Hole / Green Sun.

But yes, both versions are fantastic. I especially love the crescendos in the remix, particularly the strings that play over Rose and Dave's god tier reveal.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Lord of Laughton posted:

So I just spent the last half hour reading through Xamag's Tumblr. Man, is she talented.

I am really glad you posted this because oh my god, her arts were probably my favorite part of Cascade and I have been really wondering who did them, but I never realized quite how many of them she did. The Rose and Dave and Dave/Jadesprite shots, and Rose in particular, jesus, those are incredible.

And apparently she's only sixteen? Goddamn, there are people in their 30s that can't draw that well.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 1, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

ActionZero posted:

On the topic of Xamag's art (which is indeed excellent), can anyone think of a decent title text for this avatar?

I would pick a good quote of Dave's but there's so many that I'm getting swamped for what to pick and none of the ones I've thought of seem to go well with it.

[color="#e00707"]TG: hey look suddenly everything we just talked about was useless because its time to make a plan that doesnt loving suck[/color]

Fitting for the situation and the context of the conversation its taken from, I think, but not so context sensitive that it can't stand on its own.

(edit: okay apparently colors don't work in posts but they are fine in custom titles? Well anyway that should be the right bb code command for dave's color.)

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 1, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

despite how terrible Act 5.1's pesterlogs can get

What.

The rest of your post I agree with, but. Just.

What.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Kakumei posted:

I don't get this perspective at all. The logs are, like, the best part of the whole comic. When you're in the middle of a book you're really enjoying do you say UGH I'm only HALFWAY THROUGH what a loving SLOG through all of this ENJOYABLE AND FUN TEXT.

edit: I mean, the troll ancestor journals? All that Mindfang stuff? Holy poo poo, that was fantastic, it always shocked me when people complained about how much text there was.

This is basically me. Are you me?

Seriously, I'm always baffled when people say they don't like the long chatlogs, in any context or presentation, like having to READ like it's a BOOK is a bad thing. The longer the better, I say. To call these chatlogs a wall of text, no matter how chock full they are of solid comedic gold, I......I don't even know what to say to that. It's like people don't read books anymore.

I also don't agree with the idea that the problem is individual pesterlogs are too long, rather than broken up over several pages. It's the exact same amount of reading, whether you're getting to the next bit by scrolling down or clicking the next button is irrelevant.

vvv EDIT:

Oxxidation posted:

Well, they kinda don't. You can be sad now.
It's not as bad as you'd think, Kindles and e-books are really popular lately.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 6, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Occultatio posted:

Because that bit doesn't explain anything -- it makes perfect sense if you already understand dream bubbles, but otherwise the very first page is incredibly confusing. For instance: "whose memory is what? What are you looking at?" And then we're inside the bubble with no further context.

Ultimately, all I can tell you is that I read through the story multiple times, attempting to follow everything, and still didn't pick up on dream bubbles. There are a number of ways in which I acknowledge I am not the best reader, but I don't think this particular instance is my fault.

That's not really a fault of anything other than the fact that the story isn't finished yet. I don't think we're really SUPPOSED to know the full story behind the dream bubbles and how they work yet. If it's still unexplained and confusing after the words "THE END" appear, then you can complain properly.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Have you ever considered, dunno, just maybe, that not every chatlog in Homestuck is either plot important or comedic gold?

Yes, but.....that would just be silly and factually incorrect, because every chatlog is one or the other. (or both!)

(Yes, I'm sure I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but really, the writing in this comic is incredible and I am pretty much never bored by it ever.)

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 6, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

Like most posters in this thread I find the experimental bits fascinating and the goofing around funny, but that doesn't mean that they don't sometimes detract from the overall literary quality of the story. While it's true that some people just fuckin' hate words, on the whole, when someone complains about the pesterlogs and journallogs dragging things out it's a complaint with objective merit behind it.

Basically....

Kakumei posted:

I know this is a webcomic, but flashes aside, it's a webcomic primarily driven by lots and lots of words. I can't really imagine why someone who doesn't like lots and lots of words would be reading Homestuck.

This. Reading a comic that is literally WORDS WORDS WORDS and then complaining about how much reading there is is just silly to me.

And for the record I don't really like the implication that longer = worse in your first paragraph. There's something to be said for being succinct in the narrow focus and the "here and now" but having a big long story isn't a bad thing. The fifth harry Potter book is the longest of the series and easily my favorite. The extended edition of The Stand is 1500 pages and I read it cover to cover with no real trouble. Being 'technically well-crafted' doesn't concern me any more than it apparently concerns Hussie, especially when it's so entertaining as is anyway. I've never been a fan of the mindset that something is inferior because it's outside the box of what's considered to be the technically correct and standardized way of writing. Being so experimental and unique is a huge part of what makes Homestuck's writing so enjoyable.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Is that a Spoonkind strife specibus card I see? If so, how the heck do you weaponize spoons? o_O

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

KoB posted:

If every Troll stayed alive, including Sollux, the only elements left that arent alive are Heart, Void, Hope, and Life. Guardian kids will be these four so that we have 1 of each element alive.

I like this idea in theory, but wasn't it debated/theorized a while back that having a Hero of Space and a Hero of Time were absolute necessities to any session of Sburb? Or perhaps if our original kids join the fight that won't be a problem?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

I just want to know how exactly the hell Jake is communicating with Jade across universes when technically his version of the kids' universe didn't exist until the scratch.

(if he is indeed 'J' as it now seems apparent.)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Has anyone proposed the theory that the kids and trolls' two universes/sessions are so paradoxically connected that when the Scratch occurred and the kids' universe was reset, the trolls' universe was reset as well? Because that's kind of the vibe I'm starting to get. With UU talking about starting his/her own session in a universe parallel to Jane's (and the whole thing about the drama spanning across four universes), maybe it's a (yet again?) reset troll session, and we've flipped back to the ancestor trolls, of which UU is one (likely Karkat's/the sufferer, as was previously suggested).

Could be interesting.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Another little detail of note that I haven't really seen pointed out:

Scratched!bro and mom are apparently still named Strider and Lalonde, despite the other two now being named Crocker and English instead of Egbert and Harley.

Significance to this at all?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

My guess would be that Nanna changed her name from Crocker to Egbert when she got married in the other universe. If John got married in the Scratched universe he likely would've kept the name Crocker.

No idea where Jake English comes from, but we'll probably find out.

In response to this and the ten other answers like it, I was more asking what it might mean thematically from a storytelling perspective that mom and bro keep their namesakes but Jane and Jake do not (since previously people had wondered if ALL the reset kids might have somehow taken/been given names of known villains or what have you), as opposed to the literal reason for it.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 15, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

MrBims posted:

We have yet to see evil green sun Vriska that Lexxy drew for Alterniabound - doesn't necessarily mean we ever will. But if she ever comes back in all black and with a green sun symbol, people will point to it as evidence of something they were predicting all along. Whether they are right or not is up to whether Hussie decides to clarify on his motivations for certain turns.

Hunh, y'know, I never really thought to interpret it that way myself. Interesting thought.

Incidentially that art is amazing and "Killed by 8R8K Spider!!!!!!!!" is an amazing track and possibly my favorite Vriska-themed music.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but saw a chain of tumblr links about it:

Lexxy is currently campaigning a petition against Gaia Online for unlawfully plagarizing Homestuck in the form of purchasable in-game items that are near-exact copies of the kids' logos and the trolls' horn designs. If you are/were a player of Gaia Online and feel strongly about it, you can find the petition on their forums here.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 20, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Boneless Jogger posted:

Well, speaking of Vriska and Jake...that newest update isn't exactly being subtle.

No, no it is not.

Kudos to whoever pointed out the captchaloguing individual bullets thing.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Ubik posted:

Dammit Jake, it's not Tetris, it's Klotski. :colbert:

Oh my god is that the World's Most Difficult Trick that's in Lufia 2? I never could solve that goddamned thing.

/derail

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Okay, I gotta admit, that kitten!Nepeta PW ad for Sister Claire that's on the front page right now is pretty goddamn cute.

(not a bad comic, either.)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

So I'm not really "with it" on this whole tumblr craze because I am a crotchety old man, someone explain this statement to me:

hussie posted:

I was just talking yesterday to somebody who indirectly hates homestuck because it’s made tumblr insufferable to the disinterested.

As far as I'm aware it's not dissimilar to pretty much any other blogger site, so unless your friends list feed is jam-packed with homestuck stuff I'm not really sure why it would be noticeable let alone insufferable if a bunch of random strangers were posting art on their own blogs elsewhere on the site entirely....?

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 29, 2011

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

But if it is the same universe frog, and Bilious Slick is thus still cancerous, one would then theorize that any new session resulting from it would still be doomed to fail due to that same cancer poisoning the session, wouldn't it? How can that be the case if the whole point of this B2 universe is to finally be the successful session?

(Don't get me wrong I do agree that it's the same universe frog post-scratch and is still doomed to destruction by red miles, I would just like to know the how and why of the scenario that the old session was infected and doomed while supposedly this session in the same cancerous universe is meant to be successful. What makes this session different?)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

It's worth noting that Sollux still has one black eye and one white eye, suggesting he remains half dead, whatever that means.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Vodka Mutini is an imperfect paradox clone of Jaspers.

dik-dik posted:

Or maybe Jaspers instead of Vodka Mutini.

Nate RFB posted:

Rather than Vodka Mutini, I bet Jasper's own disappearance and death will play a part.

EXCUSE me, his name is Meowgon Spengler. :colbert:

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

In other news, the front page header ad banner, currently held by the Sister Claire ad again, is going for $200.

Two HUNDRED dollars. For a PW ad.

Jesus gently caress, that has to be a record.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Updates!

God I love listening to these two and their delicious cotton candy text.

VVVV Edit: And Bro Strider's, with Di--. Pretty sure it's gonna be Dick now. As if we needed another source of dick jokes in this comic.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 5, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Also, can somebody help me? How do the sizes of hoodies on What Pumpkin work out? I want to buy one for a friend who usually wears large shirts.

This is a bit late, but if I were you I'd buy one size up. You don't want them to be too snug. I personally like to drown in the things, they make great cold-weather sleepwear that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Oh my god he has a filthy wifebeater AND some SBAHJ ink.

The self reference pile doesn't stop from getting taller.