Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm so excited for the EOA. I totally forgot about it while I was moving last week, and now I'm done and here it (almost, hopefully) is!

I also FINALLY got to put up the C.R.U.N.K Gold Edition print I got in August in my new apartment, and it is probably one of the better home decorations I've ever bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I wonder if Prospit's hierarchy has a counterpart to Jack that we just haven't seen and who isn't really relevant to the story.

A Jake Blanc, if you will.

If there was, he probably couldn't get out of his office.

Nilbop posted:

Isn't the entire point of Jack that he's an anomaly?

Jack himself isn't an anomaly; he is generated in every game session, otherwise there wouldn't have been a Jack for the troll session. What IS an anomaly is Jack getting one of the rings.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 26, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Starmaker posted:

Actually that would really explain why a supposedly null session was able to make a new universe frog. They aren't creating a new universe, just remaking an old one. And this time without a horrible tumor.

But... what did the scratch do then? If it doesn't in itself reset the universe, then all it did was end the session which... doesn't really seem that impressive.

The scratch would probably have successfully reset the universe had Jack not been simultaneously murdering it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

starfish prime posted:

I began reading Homestuck this summer, and finished reading it the very day it went on hiatus. So I don't understand it quite as well as my friends, who have been up-to-date for a pretty long time. But doesn't it seem strange that God Tier is apparently so easy to achieve? Isn't it said at some point that going God Tier is something that never happens in most sessions? I was thinking that maybe it was happening so often because the kids and the trolls have overstayed their welcome in their flawed sessions, giving them far more time to ascend the echeladder, but it just seems unusual that literally everyone who has died on or near a quest bed has ascended.

It's supposed to happen, I think. Vriska intimates to John at one point that she thinks that the trolls were supposed to kill eachother, because then more, if not all of them would have ascended to God Tier.
The players are supposed to ascend to God Tier and then create a new universe. Then they enter the universe they created and literally act as its gods, hence the title.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So apparently Cascade was a remix of Descent or a re-imagining of it. The point is someone switched Descents' music with Cascade (and tweaked the sync, but just a little bit), and it's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpit6s7X8w4

Didn't Tensei make Cascade originally to sync up with [S] Descend? I don't know the details but I think Cascade (Beta) might actually sync with Descend almost perfectly because it was intended to.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Speaking of Cal, I made this terrible thing awhile ago and I'm not really sure why in retrospect.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Cavatica posted:

Cal has been moving Bro the entire time.

Except when it was Gamzee moving him.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I just thought of something; what if universe frogs eventually leave their Incipisphere birthplaces and enter the furthest ring, where they mature into horrorterrors?

edit: What if horrorterrors are universe frogs that have been corrupted by LE's 'glitch' and are thus marked for consumption? :psyduck:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 1, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Lord English's peg leg is reminiscent of Skipper Plumbthroat, huh?

Fortis posted:

What if horrorterrors are universe frogs that have been corrupted by LE's 'glitch' and are thus marked for consumption? :psyduck:

:colbert:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gabriel Pope posted:

Skipper Plumbthroat doesn't even have a pegleg!

I was just going by what everyone else was saying, I only watched part of the squiddles flash :saddowns:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Alright, so the LE/Plumbthroat connections don't make any sense, but I still think that Horrorterrors are mature and/or corrupted Universe Frogs, which would mean that Lord English is the one slaughtering them.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wasn't it established a long time ago that LE was killing the Horrorterrors? Or am I misremembering?

As mentioned above, all we know is that something is killing them, but not what exactly. Popular guesses have been Lord English, Jack, and Eridan.

I had just been thinking about how Sburb is how universes reproduce and that universes are frogs. Universes are marked for future visitation by a 'defect', which could be limited to the game session but might be more like a birth defect. The defect might manifest itself ultimately as turning the frog into a horrorterror, which LE then eats or whatever he actually does.

This would of course mean that there are a LOT of universes corrupted by Lord English, which may or may not jibe with what Doc Scratch said about LE's propagation through paradox space, but I can't remember EXACTLY what he said and I can't look up the quote right now. I think Doc might have said that LE's propagation is "accounted for", which could just mean the fact that universes reproduce in the first place, since theoretically LE wouldn't be a huge cheater and basically mark every single universe (which at this point I'm guessing he does). However, he may have also said that LE's propagation was 'sanctioned' by paradox space, in which case I don't know.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 2, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I like the middle one of those, at least, but it, and I imagine a lot of the other theoretical LE designs, is in keeping with the idea that Doc Scratch and Lord English are two gentlemen who 'play by the rules'. It's been demonstrated that this is a load of bullshit, and that they're a manipulative creep who lies by omission and a monster who cheats existence itself. 'Dapper' doesn't work for LE, knowing that.

The third one is just stupid.
edit: he's even crying, like the artist imagined some tragic anime backstory for him, it's literally making me angry to look at this :argh:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
While we wait for 11/11/11 we should stave off insanity by appreciating the best Homestuck fanartist ever: Randys133.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNSftsog06s

I know there's a PYF Homestuck fanart thread so I don't want to get too into this, but I felt that Randys133 was worth mentioning again.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gizmotinker posted:

Mom will have Alcoholkind. (drunken master)

1/2 Bottlekind :ese:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Considering that this universe has a Cal and presumably a magic cue-ball, if we go by the way the trolls' scratch went, I think we can make a good guess at who Jake's guardian is.

Someone omniscient, with a consciousness possibly unencumbered by the fact that he exists across multiple universes. One might describe him as a smug shithead.

Haa haa.
Hee hee.
Hoo hoo.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm guessing every one of these new kids will have a name that starts with "J", just to mess with who could be the penpal.

The FISTICUFFS, SCRUMS AND WHATNOT stuff, in addition to Liv Tyler sitting right there along with the green box and letter make it pretty obvious that J is Jake.

edit: 4X BEATEN COMBOB

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I clicked on Jake and now I'm just going to let Hussie do his thing back and forth down there. 'Panel not done yet' messages are quickly becoming one of my favorite things about homestuck. :allears:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
What the fantroll creators don't understand is that the entire symbol library that young trolls picked from as wigglers carried over in our universe's collective unconscious, but in a cruel twist, similar to how we devised playing cards and have a blatant disregard for modesty concerning buckets, the symbols were reduced to being a ubiquitous computer typeface that no one really uses all that often.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Even though I want to see the other kids and whether or not this DAD is just Dad, or Karkat's Lusus with a fedora and pipe, I kind of hope we get at least one Jane: "Visit https://www.mspaintadventures.com" type of page to see some Problem Sleuth 2.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
"BFFSIES 4EVERZ", her words.

I have no idea what to expect from momkid.

e: beaten

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
When I was catching up on Homestuck and the save system started to forsake me (and I wanted to use a different computer), I used Instapaper to keep track of where I left off. v:shobon:v

edit:

Whatever, DAD!

Fortis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 13, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jetsetlemming posted:

I don't remember how John's Nanna died, but Jade's Grandpa was shot by a newly arrived baby Jade playing with guns coming out of their arrival crater. Swapping the roles, with Grandma Jade's possible foresight, and baby Grandpa's possible better control over guns, it's entirely possible Jade's an old woman and still kicking around.

Colonel Sassacre was killed by a newly arrived Grandpa Harley when he was playing with his own dual pistols. Grandpa Harley was killed when Tavros saved baby Jade, who was also playing with the same pistols, by communing with Bec to redirect the bullet into Grandpa.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Hey so here's a thing:

It's interesting that Jake thinks he's sending the gift back in time only, rather than back in time and across universes. Obviously he's being fed information, but not very clearly. And he's said his arm was twisted in his letter -- plus, as it was put in the recap, "The gift was the pen pal's idea, and he himself was coerced into the plan by someone else." HMMMM.

It seems likely that Jake is being played for what I'd describe as a sucker.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It's (very, very remotely) possible that the original kids have been working in the background for 2.5 years and this is a bit of a timeskip for everybody.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CidGregor posted:

Another little detail of note that I haven't really seen pointed out:

Scratched!bro and mom are apparently still named Strider and Lalonde, despite the other two now being named Crocker and English instead of Egbert and Harley.

Significance to this at all?

Grandpa changed his name to Harley and Nanna married into the Egbert family.

e:f;b

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Veev posted:

Well if there's no Harley, can we assume there is no Bec also?

There probably isn't. In all likelihood, since Doc Scratch was the one who convinced the kids to reset their universe, it was so that he could be the First Guardian of the post-reset Earth.

I'm willing to bet that not only will post-scratch Earth's first guardian be cue-ball headed, but he'll be exactly the same as Alternia's Doc Scratch. Doc did say that instances of him exist in countless universes. He did not say they were actually different from one another. Haa haa. Hee hee. Hoo hoo.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CidGregor posted:

In response to this and the ten other answers like it, I was more asking what it might mean thematically from a storytelling perspective that mom and bro keep their namesakes but Jane and Jake do not (since previously people had wondered if ALL the reset kids might have somehow taken/been given names of known villains or what have you), as opposed to the literal reason for it.

Since The Condesce/Betty Crocker probably works for Lord English, and Grandpa and Nanna ultimately changed their names when they escaped her grasp/she dissappeared, I think their post-scratch names are meant to show the influence LE and his ilk have over the new universe, presumably as planned.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Jake's laptop is called a HUSKTOP. Hmmm.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Specifically though, we know that a scratch switches paradox clone groups because Doc Scratch explicitly stated that it does when he was rambling about Troll Ancestors; the Ancestors were the original Sgrub players who scratched their session, leading to the Trolls we know being the players.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Armadillos! posted:

I think it might be time for a change and unless someone else requested this already, I'm gonna go ahead and grab this and add the legendary piece of poo poo back to the available pile.

edit: Searched the last 3 pages for "DS" and "Bro" and it didn't look like anyone asked for this, so I grabbed it! I'm sorry if I ruined your day.

This one's available now:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 30, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Chunky12345 posted:

Fortis you have failed me.

Sorry. I'll make it up to you, someday. :smith:

edit: On the subject of the Japanese Homestuck translation, I would think the troll typing quirks would/should be more like the way One Piece villains talk, than anything. They usually just pronounce a few syllables as something else, or add a suffix to their sentences. Also, Nepeta's quirk seems obvious (although it's been done); every instance of 'na' would be 'nya', the Japanese equivalent to 'meow'. Maybe they're doing that already, I don't know. I can't actually read Japanese, so I only skimmed their wiki.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 30, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
There is a better name.

Becspers.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

dik-dik posted:

why does the God Cat's nose/moth profile look so familiar? (and also, so not catlike)

It kind of looks like Dad, honestly.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Let us enjoy amazing fanart, like any of keesderp's videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8cal16GB7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_S7YyMAHs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu6sgxaq3dQ

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I want to be mad but Microhoof :3:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
This is typical Hussie and it isn't going to prevent me from continuing to read and enjoy his comic, but I think he could have at least waited a day.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Oh hey you know what I just noticed? Maybe it's been pointed out already, but Dirk calls the method Roxy used to blow up Jane's computer a "nasty deathloop virus". Sounds like Roxy used the same virus that Karkat ran on his own computer in the Troll session. So in both post-scratch sessions, the de-facto leaders of the players blew up their own computer with a ~ATH virus.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Roxy's the one who coded it, so why would she make it so it killed her mom and Dirk's bro? It's more likely that ~ATH can simply be referred to as a "deathloop" based coding language.

I was thinking this, and that the Mobius Double Reacharound Virus might be some kind of universal constant to post-scratch sessions only.
The original virus was heavily implied to link the Trolls' universe with the Kids' universe; maybe this one, if it is an instance of the same virus, links the Kids' scratched universe to UU's universe?

edit: Also, the only thing the virus 'does' is import two universes and then do something inscrutable. It also detonates the computer its run on. Karkat was the one who thought it cursed them and killed the lusii, but most of the trolls thought he was full of poo poo, and that SGRUB caused the cascade of misfortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is height ever mentioned as being something Troll society values? Because as a general rule, if it's considered an asset in Troll culture, Karkat doesn't have it. see: impressive horns