Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Strider's a space furry.

He's into space ponies? Or both aliens and ponies? We're building up to something that will make Equius look like a downright pleasant individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I think we've officially reached 'overmentioning' point on Jake meeting John. There's no way they're going to meet and talk without a hitch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nilbop posted:

The big thing is Lord English's coffin. Or a denizen. Remember them?!

Yeah, the Cairo Overcoat is my bet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Unlucky7 posted:

Has there ever been confirmation that the deizens of Prospit, Derst, and the various lands are even vaguely aware that they are stuck in a game/pre-destination chain that they are destined to win/lose?

I think the Prospitians, or at least WQ, are aware that there's no way to get out of Prospit losing the war, but that's about the extent of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The obvious Lord English gags are all well and good and ominous, but I'm more interested in UU's part in building the bunny.

I think she's outdoing Doc Scratch here. She just basically admitted to causing the need for the Scratch in the first place, by way of arming the bunny.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Regy Rusty posted:

Where's the secret part of Doc Scratch's evil?

Doc Scratch wasn't secretly evil, but he wasn't overtly evil.

I didn't actually pick that he was an antagonist until... I think the time Aradiancestor turned up. He doesn't make it specifically blatant, but he never says otherwise.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Zoolooman posted:

I've seen several people say this. I think there were two ways people read him. One was to take him at face value and trust what he said. The other was to believe that he was the archetypal Devil-figure, who lies by telling only the exact truth.

The latter is how I read him, since he clearly told the audience that he was the first lieutenant of the Big Evil.

For most of the comic when he was around I had him pegged as sort of an unwilling accomplice of evil, because it didn't enter my mind to read him as anything else. He was working for Lord English, who at the time was ostensibly a bad guy (remember that we didn't know anything really about him before he talked about him to Rose), but I read it that Scratch wanted out of it. There might be bad things happening if Scratch died, but his chief goal was to orchestrate events that led to his death ike the destruction of the Green Sun, and he wanted to die to get the hell out of his life of doing evil things.

It didn't enter my mind that he could be actually evil because at the time I had Homestuck pegged as a complex story in a 'scientific' sense, like trying to fit a whole season of New Doctor Who together - all these disparate facts that are probably connected, you just need to figure out how, why and to what. I didn't expect the element of more 'psychological' complexity, where you need to work out exactly how true what you're being told is, given the actual concrete facts you have (also you need to work out what facts you have are concrete and what were lies judging by the source, which gets confusing after a while).

Of course I turned out to be about as wrong as you can get.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
That wasn't quite as loving awesome as I wanted, and it's beaten quite soundly by Mom, but we are really building up to a downright fascinating character.

...Oh gently caress it's Equius to a T.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
That Brobot looks awfully famil--OH SNAP THAT'S loving AWESOME

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Can someone explain what these words are

Sawtooth and Squarewave were, if I recall, one of the original ideas for the Homestuck soundtrack - a bunch of fake bands with distinct styles. The Midnight Crew, Felt and Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido albums were the result of the original idea, but Sawtooth and Squarewave (the bot in the bathroom) and their Rapocalypse didn't really happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

That probably is not what it means.

What some of us think it probably means (check the last couple pages for more talk on the subject) is that it's more evidence in favour of the idea that the kids/guardians arrived on literally the same meteors from the B1 veil as before, carrying the same items, just at different times and in different circumstances because it's a different timeline. So if that's true, then this is not B1 John; it's B2 John, who arrived with the book Nannasprite signed in the B1 session because that's what was with him on the meteor. This time he grew old with the book on Earth.

Exactly this.

I was about to say 'it isn't that hard', but... okay, in retrospect this is pretty confusing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
...Well, this is new. How could his dreamself die before the game even starts?

Suppose we'll find out later. Probably something Lord English related.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

QueerPope posted:

Oh hey Jake lives in a pumpkin patch.

A what patch?

Also, I hope I'm not the only one who accompanied this with the 2001 theme.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Eiba posted:

Drunk gimmick bothered me at first but with lines like this:
TG: maybay im just like this nutty rear end bitsh twirling yarn from a shitwizards nappy brown beard but i cant bring myself to trust a cake sellin genocidal alien overlard sea queen
TG: * overl...
TG: n/m that santence chx out

My friend's actually assuming that Lalonde isn't drinking at this point. She's making slightly less typos.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Jake you need to start turning around, there is an anime right behind you!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dizz posted:

It's gonna be a 2gb Interactive flash.

1.8gb devoted entirely to how many breadsticks were eaten amongst the party.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Level Slide posted:

Alright, headcanon personal preference time. Whose voice do you hear given a specific character's dialog?

Me? I hear Doc Scratch speaking like Hades (Disney) and John sounding like this.

John and Dave. There's no question here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

tinaun posted:

What part of act 2 would book 2 cover?

WV wasting four hours on this poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It's time for Kidpocalypse 2011, people. Get ready.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I don't want commentary on Homestuck. I want commentary on Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So this is somewhere between 'fanart' and 'actual content'. Bowman made a music video for Fly, off Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDkBTYWtGk

I like it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It's good to see Hussie tackle the real problems the world faces this time around. Spontaneous combustion is a very real issue that real people face, and it's good to see it acknowledged.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

SpaceDrake posted:

Read: the pace of this act is breakneck. People need to stop bitchin'.

Also that twist was incredible and I love Hussie so very much.

Well remember that 'pace' isn't related to how much is done in a certain amount of time. If over 172 pages nothing happened for the first 130, that would still be poo poo pace.

They're still wrong, though. The pacing of this act has been properly fast and fairly consistent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Of course, now that we're all speculating on it, it's entirely possible that Hussbot is just going to say "gently caress it" and skip straight to the last curtain.

I endorse this if when we get there nothing makes sense. Bro is god-tier, Lalonde is a robot, they're fighting alongside three trolls that we've never met, and Ace Dick is their opponent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Oh, Hussie loves his fanbase so much! :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dolash posted:

Are Rose and Dave going to get similar level-up scenes? Will they just be implied to have happened off-screen? Or will Dave once again drag behind John in power and quietly grumble about it in his own way?

It could be that but I'm more of the theory that you don't need to level up Time and Light to stand up to Breath - you just need to be more imaginative.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Other than Eridan being the wrong gender, this is pretty bang-on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Welp, see you guys in 2014. Close the thread.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
God damnit, you stab that dog right this instant!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Blood is probably the worst of the lot, but Rage makes up for it.

What is it? Doesn't matter, all that matters is that it's pretty loving rad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

KoB posted:

Yeah, heres a bigger version.

Haha, I just noticed that Dave's hosed up the wrapping. That's gold.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Well Manicured Man posted:

:nms:This:nms: was the March drawing.

fake edit: yes, I think the :nms: tags are totally necessary.

real edit: /\/\/\/\/\ That is a much less terrifying way of putting it.

Eridan is the least terrifying part of this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I just want to state my love of John's expression here. So full of silent awe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nate RFB posted:

Wow so we may wind up with only three trolls going to the new session after all is said and done.

Wait, then...

Karkat, Terezi, Gamzee, Dave, Rose, John, Jade...

That's seven.

Oh god it really is going to be a one-player session isn't it :ohdear:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It'll be one of the 48 Squiddle players.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
These updates keep getting consecutively better and better.

Hussie has to stop right here, otherwise we simply won't be able to take it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You can have my dumb music instead :v:

I guess me making troll land themes is a thing now, because I decided to make Quartz and Melody next. Tell me how it went, I'll love you forever if you do.

This and Silence are both fantastic. You seem to have nailed the general feel of an old-school RPG overworld theme.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Did anyone else show Sburbian powers before entering the Medium? I mean, I guess Dave's skills at creating sick beats were a possible precursor of time powers.

Equius' and Lalonde's Void powers look to have only been conventionally useful outside the Medium. They can evade Scratch and UU without trying, but that didn't really have utility in the Medium far as we could tell.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I don't know what this means, but I'm like 90% sure it's terrifying.

The strongest being in this universe is a housecat. You all know how dangerous housecats can be, their minds are anathema to anything resembling reasonable things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

YggiDee posted:

It seems the next album is going to be pretty crazy!

I'd tell Well Manicured Man to snap to it, but I think his work's already done.