Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think I can even imagine what this is going to contain. How long can it even be? What on earth is going to happen?

I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Close to the end? This thing's got six months left in it at least and I would not be at all surprised if it's longer than that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well that does seem a reasonable date for Andrew to shoot for if he plans to wrap this up. But I'm actually just projecting based upon how long things tend to take. Act 6 is intended to be shorter than the monstrosity that's Act 5, but considering that it's been going for 16 months, there is a wide range that could qualify as shorter. Add that to the fact that things have always taken longer than Andrew expects them to I'd say it's probably impossible to predict how long this still has to go.

Especially since we as readers don't even have a clear idea yet of what needs to happen over the course of Act 6.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Homestuck started on 4/13/2009.

Hivebent started on 6/12/2010.

1025 is 413+612. All three numbers have shown up repeatedly throughout Homestuck in various contexts and sometimes Andrew has aimed to post significant things on those dates.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright squiddles intermission, bring it on.

Part of me actually hopes he at least pretends to do this at some point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Something that really comes into focus after reading Andrew's EOA explanations: Despite some things in the flash surprising me - such as Jack's method of escape, and the creation of the green sun - there were plenty of things that I and others were able to predict. The mechanism for crossing the fourth wall and across the yellow yard for example, and the meaning of Scratch's phrase "the war of one bullet fired".

It's nice how we can both feel pleased about figuring things out and stunned by surprises that make sense looking back at the same time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm sort of sad that Hussie feels he has to explain so much, though. Are the majority of his readers really that dense? :( (I understood the Yellow Yard thing almost as soon as Jade went through the fourth wall, since I'd re-read that part of the comic in anticipation.)

You have to remember that probably the majority of Homestuck readers don't reread it and don't discuss it in depth on the internet. The casual reader definitely misses a lot of things. For example, my mother reads Homestuck and she e-mailed me today saying that there were a lot of things she didn't understand from the flash. I'm linking her to Andrew's explanations and I think they'll help her and readers like her quite a bit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the conclusion of the story will be more interesting than "end fight against Lord English." I think it's going to be more along the lines of unraveling the mystery surrounding Lord English and figuring out a way to put an end to his cycle of universe destruction. It may be that they can't stop him from destroying the reset universe but will stop him from entering any more. It's hard to predict anything at this point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The mother of all monsters is Echidna. So what that means is that the previous session trolls consulted their denizen Echidna who helped them scratch their session.

Just like the Echidna from the kids' session did.

(In case you're unfamiliar with the greek mythology, here's where the "mother of all monsters" thing comes from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna_%28mythology%29

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I forget offhand, but didn't Echidna merely help Jade find the frog? I don't recall her being involved in the scratch process. On top of that, the deal Echidna made with Jade was that she (and the other Denizens) be brought with, which Jade did do (brought the four kids' planets and Skaia along with her.)

Well at the very least she gave Jade her quills which were used in the process of scratching the Beat Mesa.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite flash has always been [S] Jade: Dream up extra arms and play advanced bass solo. I remember my jaw dropping at the Prospit reveal when we finally begin to understand the significance of Jade's dreamself. This is however the one flash that originally had a Bolin song that I felt lost something significant with the change. The original song syncs up perfectly with the pulling away and revealing the setting in a way that the current one doesn't.

As for non-flash page this memo and how it devolves into Karkat and Terezi fighting over the keyboard and typing messages on each others accounts never fails to send me into hysterics.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The reason I'm pretty sure there will be reset adult versions of the kids is that J refers to Jade as his grandmother.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Considering that Jack's attack on Bilious Slick didn't occur in universe time until hundreds of years after all life on Earth was destroyed, there's plenty of time for the time in universe to be reversed and play out again before Slick's attack gets there.

Assuming that's even something that's relevant. I doubt it is since then English wouldn't have a nice new universe to play with (or would he????).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

This implies that Grandpa had some inkling of what was involved in summoning Lord English and was furiously scouring the Earth for him, but never succeeded in finding him. Interesting.

That's really interesting. Maybe he somehow came across knowledge about LE and was trying to do something about his entry into Earth's universe. But he didn't realize that Earth's universe hadn't yet been marked for predation, so English wouldn't be there regardless.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rooreelooo posted:

Ah, so it was rufio writing that, not tavros. Gotcha.

It just seems like it would make more sense to switch tavros and terezi around, then we could have had t1ck t0ck 8r8k hEADS honk HONK and it all would have been neat an tidy.

Except then Team Charge and the Scourge Sisters wouldn't be paired up any more!

Edit: And no 413 in the code! No no that wouldn't be neat and tidy at all.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 2, 2011

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ActionZero posted:

This gave me enough information to find the drat thing. Here it is. At some point towards the end he seems to go a bit off the deep end and tries to report every post he doesn't like. Can't actually find a picture of Lord English in it (with a very quick flick through) so I may have been getting mixed up.

Yeah that picture doesn't have anything to do with Professor's story. I don't know where it comes from but it's a different thing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

An idea I had recently is that there may end up being an emphasis on traveling back and forth between the Scratched universe and the session associated with it. As we saw in the Trolls' session, a lot of important things involving the Felt, the Midnight Crew, Snowman, Doc Scratch, the Handmaid and Her Condescension, and English himself happened on Alternia after the trolls had left. Even if they'd known about them they weren't in a position to do anything about it.

Assuming a similar situation will now be occurring in the new universe, it seems like it would be necessary for our heroes to set up some kind of stable method to move back and forth and involve themselves in events in both locations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah he's 32.

Also he does occasionally go back and change things, but only very rarely. Aside from the Bolin fiasco, I think the only time he's done it in Homestuck was this page: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002858

He edited it during the Intermission (right after Slick got stabbed through the eye) to add the scar over the Queen's eye.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm sure we're not going to do another long introduction rehash. We'll probably go on long enough to get the characters and new universe situation established and then BAM FOURTH WALL BREAK OH HELLO JOHN AND JADE

I'm kinda surprised that people are surprised by this. Everything about this update has been foreshadowed for months now. There's nothing about this that we didn't know was coming. Wonder where this universe's version of Doc Scratch is hiding!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's definitely something weird going on with that white sun. In addition to looking huge when we see it from space, when we see the little "Homestuck Sun" in the sky at various points in the flash it has a sort of white halo around it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gowb posted:

I'm beginning to get the same feeling as I did at the start of chapter 5. :(

Sheer excitement?

:D

Anyway these aren't new characters, their existence and involvement has been foreshadowed for a while, and we're almost certainly not going to do another whole Act 1 and Act 5 rehash before finding out what's happening with the kids and trolls. There's nothing to be worried about.

I'm loving the amount of detail and clues about the state of the new universe Andrew's cramming into their rooms and introductions. I'm really curious to know what sort of role the scratched kids have in this universe, if any. And Dad. I hope he is around in some form.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think that's Gamzee's lusus. Gamzee's lusus was basically Capricorn itself - a giant fish/goat thing. It would have two hoofed legs on the front and then a fish tail (which you can see on that page you linked).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The DAD line may be a fakeout but oh man I am hoping so hard that it's the one we know and love.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe the way the glitch will manifest itself this time around is that they won't do ectobiology in the new session. So basically the reverse of the situation that happened with the trolls.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FewtureMD posted:

Whoa. What in the hell does the HAT have to do with the matriorb?

It doesn't. It's the standard thing we've seen since the beginning about how the combining of different objects can produce the same code.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It isn't a secret. It's been listed in the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comic list since it came out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DAAAAAAAAAD!!! :neckbeard:

When I saw him I stuck my arms straight up and had a gigantic grin on my face for like a minute.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dolash posted:

Pretty sure she still has to create them and send them back on meteors, it's just the case that we don't know what order they'll be created in or how they'll be sent back. Remember how Karkat had to create all the grubs and send them back, even though he was in a Scratched session himself?

Although it'd be a pretty funny inversion of the "So I have to marry Rose?" stuff if Jane and Jake were like "So we're actually our grandparents' parents?"

Well my theory is that the ectobiological relationship between the scratched and original sessions is reversed for the humans from what it was on the trolls.

Here's how I think it works: Karkat created 24 grubs. The 12 trolls and their 12 ancestors. We don't know anything about the genetic relationship between these guys but since trolls don't have concepts of families it doesn't really matter. Anyway, these 24 grubs get put on meteors and sent through the portals. Through some mechanism we don't yet understand, they are duplicated (so a total of 48 grubs) and end up in both the Alternia our trolls come from and the Alternia the previous group that failed came from. This explains how the pre-scratch trolls were not spawned in their own session. This is how the glitch Doc Scratch talked about manifested itself.

Now for the kids, we know that the pre-scratch session did not work this way. John absolutely did create the four guardians and four kids from their own universe and session. But now we've seen that in the scratched universe, the meteors containing the kids and guardians seem to have still held the same belongings (bunnies, Cal, sassacre book, etc.) that they did in the pre-scratch universe. So presumably the same duplication happened and copies of the kids and guardians and their belongings that John created were sent to both versions of earth.

I believe that this is the same glitch that Doc Scratch was talking about and that it doesn't matter that it happened in the opposite way that it did for the trolls. So I don't think there is going to be yet another scratch after this one to pave the way for Lord English. I think he is already here.

There are probably more details we don't know about that will make things clearer as we proceed, but that's how I envision it working at the moment.

Edit: Ha, beaten by MrBims with the same idea.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dolash, my post right after MrBims' explained the theory about duplication and the reasoning behind it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well how else would you explain the fact that the pre-scratch trolls didn't do any ectobiology?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's the conclusion I drew from the fact that they weren't spawned in their own session.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To step back a bit and examine our assumptions, looking at exactly what Doc Scratch says there is some room speculation about what exactly happened. What he states is:

"Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned." http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005953

This alone leaves 3 possibilities:

1. Karkat made 48 grubs and 24 ended up going to each version of Alternia.
2. Karkat made the 24 trolls from the pre-scratch universe and one of them made the 24 from the post-scratch universe and then they swapped somehow.
3. They literally are identical, and part of the mysterious manner in which the Scratch works requires only a single ectobiology for both pre-scratch and post-scratch players and ancestors/guardians.

1 can be rejected outright as Karkat tells us exactly how many grubs he made here: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005370 (Also Vriska implies the same thing here: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005375)
We also know that John made 8 not 16, so we can cross that one off.

2 is technically possible but seems silly to me. At least with the humans it would require both sets to end up with exactly the same belongings. There may be other reasons that it doesn't work that I haven't thought of.

3 is the one that makes the most sense to me, and it fits in with the theme of the Scratch. After all, the scratch is a reset - of an entire universe that in this case has actually been destroyed! There's a lot we don't know about how it works. It's probably also not supposed to be a duplication, as the pre-scratch individuals are supposed to be erased entirely. My guess is that somehow the data of all the history of the universe, including all the meteors that entered it, is stored and then changed around when the scratch happens. The orders and locations of the impacts are changed to fit the requirements of switching the roles of the players and ancestors/guardians.

Edit: An interesting thing about this line of thinking is that it actually makes more sense for the pre-scratch session to be the one responsible for the ectobiology. However, that was obviously that was not the case for the Trolls. Not sure if that should be written off as "it's a glitch" or "weird time poo poo" or whether there's more to it. It's most likely the last one.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 14, 2011

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

This absolutely fits with my earlier desire for post-scratch Mom to be Ke$ha and now I am scared that this is what "headcanon" feels like.

You only have to be worried if you end up with feelings of extreme disappointment or anger when what you want to be true isn't.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:stare:

This is a frightening world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ooh hey, anyone notice the time on her computer? It's 11:05.

I'll bet something is gonna happen in 6 minutes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still skeptical about Dad's origins. If he really is born normally then why is he present in both universes? He's the same person yet born from two completely different sets of parents. (Nanna and mystery man and John and mystery woman). I suppose we could handwave it away with universal constants or genetic shenanigans due to ectobiology, but I think that he's an anomaly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RickoniX posted:

The kids and guardians are genetic palindromes

Not sure exactly what you mean by this but the genetic relationships are that the guardians are all clones of themselves. John and Jade are made up of a combination of Nanna and Grandpa while Dave and Rose are made up of a combination of Mom and Bro.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Doc Uzuki posted:

But in this universe, John and Jade are clones of themselves, and Jake and Jane are made up of a combination of them. And Dad's in the middle, exactly the same. Hence, palindromes.

I don't think that's the case, but seeing as we've already been through that in great length just a page or two ago, I won't berate the point again. I guess we'll have to wait and see how ectobiology does or doesn't go down the road.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Oh poo poo! I just realized that there's a decent chance we'll get to see the troll ancestors as kids now.

Less than 20 updates in and this is already the best arc.

:dance:

Where are you getting that idea from? There's no reason that the Trolls' sessions would have any further relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I knew my donation to this cause would be worth it one day.