Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Okay, so usually I'm pretty good at understanding this comic's weird time and plot poo poo but I have to admit, the 8-player session thing has somehow completely slipped by me. Could somebody break that down a bit? I mean, I can remember the supposed 'squiddle' session that made Alternia, and the session that happened pre-Troll ancestors that was basically doomed from the start, but can't recall where the 8-player one fits in. Or even where it was referred to previously. Was this brought up in a formspring question or actually in-story? Or is it more of a fan-theory type of deal?

I apologize in advance if this is something that's actually really obvious, it's just that this new pesterlog comes up and between the U/possible Ophiucus quirk and Karkat callback parallels I suddenly don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

The 8-player session is this one we're witnessing right now. It's presumably going to involve the four scratched guardians (i.e. Jane, Jake, Kid Mom, and Kid Bro) and the four original kids (John, Rose, Dave, and Jade) when they make there way into this universe.

As for where it was referred to previously - the theory about an 8-player session has been around since Act 3 when a screen in the Skaianet labs showed a session with 8 planets around Skaia. It wasn't until recently that we began to have an idea what this session would be or if it would even be significant.

Edit: Here's the relevant page - http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002774

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Here is the page with the 8-player session. e:f;b

Anyway I don't think UU is from the trolls' pre-Scratch universe since she has her own sign and everything. Also, where does everyone get KidMom being the hero of void from? I completely missed anything about that when reading the log.

"UU: thoUgh i do have a wee bit more troUble monitoring her than the rest of yoU. cUrioUs dark patches in transmission, hUmph."

Sounds very similar to what Doc Scratch said about Equius and his ancestor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's the best theory I've heard yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My guess would be that Nanna changed her name from Crocker to Egbert when she got married in the other universe. If John got married in the Scratched universe he likely would've kept the name Crocker.

No idea where Jake English comes from, but we'll probably find out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No Bec is almost a certainty as the first guardian of this universe is pretty sure to be something different (and at least likely to be some iteration of Doc Scratch, though that's not confirmed yet).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He put an "Ansrew" reference in the comic. My god.

No silly MSPA Forum running gag is too small for Andrew to give a nod to. First Dr. Brinner, and now this. Never stop, Hussie. :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

Well, apparently it's 700 calories so probably :barf:

What's the origin of this 'ansrew' joke? I feel like I've seen it somewhere before.

"Ansrew" was a typo someone made of "Andrew" once. For whatever reason, people ran with it and it became this whole thing about Andrew having an evil twin.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think the situation with the meteors could be more strongly telegraphed without the story straight out stating what happened. It wouldn't make any sense to happen the way you're describing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think there's the issue that right now, we the readers don't know the physical location of the new universe relative to the Furthest Ring and the trolls/kids near the Green Sun. Is it a new frog that got brought into existence somehow, copying and rewriting the data from the old one that Jack destroyed? Is it the same frog with its history rewritten (and thus still doomed to be destroyed by Jack)? If so, how do they get themselves into it?

I think it's most likely to be the latter option but there's still a lot of ambiguity as to how the actual mechanism of the Scratch works.

Edit: Although maybe a new rewritten frog in the location of the Kids' session would make more sense. I don't know, just speculating baselessly right now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Doc Scratch outright said so.

Actually he does not. The only time he implies anything like that is when he says "It will always be an edifice of similarly cryptic design, located on the planet that is home to the Hero of Time." This does seem to imply that a Hero of Time is always present, but knowing Doc Scratch he could mean something along the lines that it is always present in sessions doomed to fail.

Additionally, he doesn't use any language regarding the hero of Space that is non-specific to their session. So while I think it's not unlikely that Time and Space players are always present (and we have more evidence that Space players are since it's their job to do the frog breeding) I don't think this is the evidence for it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh well that's fair enough then.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's um... that's a nice outfit you've got there Jake.

:stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Where's the secret part of Doc Scratch's evil?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005530

"My master is a very evil man."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Chad is a way douchier name than Dane. Dane is probably the douchiest 'd' name, though.

This is pretty funny because according to the arbitrary rules Andrew set himself when selecting the kids' names, Dave was "supposed" to have been named Chad Buskin. (We all lucked out there.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

Holy crap! http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002140

Credit goes to http://fkngenuine.tumblr.com/ for the discovery.

Edit: Holy crap! I have the worst timing.

What am I missing here? Are you pointing out?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sawtooth is maybe the brobot in Jake's house?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

annatar posted:

The book is coming into the session via jade's planet juggling anyway, there's no need to suppose some new property for the portals for this instance because someone can just put the book on the right B2 meteor.

That could theoretically work for the book, but wouldn't work for the bunnies. The two previous versions of the bunny no longer exist in the pre-scratch session. Liv Tyler may have survived the green sun explosion somehow, but the other earlier versions can't be brought in to be put on meteors.

This would then require that this universe will have one of them get the same con-air bunny, drop it in oil and send it back with Rose, have young Rose knit the same purple components for it and have it sent back again on a meteor later with Jade.

To me this seems far more unlikely and contrived than the meteor bifurcation idea.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it helps to imagine the universe like data in a computer. All the information of events in the entire universe is stored and when it's reset all that information still exists. The meteor order just gets shuffled around. That's why the meteors only have one origin - they're coming from outside the universe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the shoosh pap scene concluded Karkat's arc, though. That guy had the best pesterlogs :(

What? It's not like Karkat is going to be gone from the story or anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I can forgive any slowdown in pace as long as it continues to make me laugh. Do I want the kids to burst through the fourth wall already and start messing with things? Yeah. But drat if every Kidmom chat doesn't crack me up. And with all the little clues and mysteries about the state of the new universe there's still plenty to keep me interested in the direction of the plot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lifting heavy objects continues to be a proud Egbert Crocker family tradition.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And now Jake is being torn apart.

I can't watch. It's just too horrifying.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KoB posted:

I only got into Homestuck this summer, so its really interesting when he talks about the early days for me. He mentions how John Egbert was the first name suggestion, and that Rose, Dave, and Jade were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively (good thing they were decent suggestions I guess!).

A vaguely amusing bit of trivia that I've mentioned before is that Dave Strider was actually the second valid name suggested (Andrew counted "Goats Eman" as a valid name, which both has five letters and wouldn't be used for other obvious reasons). Dave's name "should" have been Chad Buskin. I'm glad we got what we did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

You mean to tell me that fans came up with all these names that have other-language ties to the zodiac signs of each troll and the creatures they represent?

I thought the closest one to a fan-named troll was Gamzee, who was named after forums user Gammy.

Well, the way it worked was that we knew each troll's Trollian handle, appearance, and zodiac affiliation before their suggestion boxes were opened for names. For those who appeared in act 4 like Karkat and Terezi even more was known about them. So the fans had a lot of time to think up 6 letter names for them. Then Andrew picked ones he liked, always mixing a first name from one suggestion with a last name from another.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Remember folks, to understand Homestuck romance there's just one simple word you need to keep in mind.

SadoMasoPedoRoboNecroBestiality

It's Robosmooch 2.0 time. :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Commutator posted:

Not to mention that she already has an awakened dreamself... Am I the only one who thinks this means that even if the explosion killed her she'll just wake up on Prospit?

Well every instance we've seen of this so far has had the dreamself start to die as well, unless the dead body is kissed by another player (or they died on their quest bed).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Vast Expletive is what the Sufferer yelled as he died.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skaias within Skaias :psyduck:

That was pretty cool.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also, Andrew's tumblr has some bad news: http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/14993233014/s-eoa6i1

Gonna have another bit of a break coming up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Right here: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002324

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So I guess John inherited the peanut allergy from his father, eh?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well maybe if they'd killed the Derse dreamers first, the Prospitians would get the wind up and protect theirs better. Kill off the Prospit dreamers and the Derse ones are presumably eaaaaasy pickins.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Krinkle posted:

predicted what? I'm going to regret asking this but I just don't see what this has to do with anything

Peanuts leading to death!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What's going to happen when we get to midnight? I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Jack's watch is almost there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nope, we're 4 minutes in to 2012 Hussie time.

Edit: ^^ He means where Andrew lives, which is EST.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bec was simply Halley + Meow code, so there's no indication that God Cat is cueball related at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rhinoceraptor posted:

I was under the impression that the Lalondes were always English.

She said "Petrol" as well.

Actually the petrol line was a Sassacre reference.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001969

"Land sakes alive, we are cooking with petrol now!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrew's toying with my emotions. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, that thing is decorated and everything, straight out of the oven.

Doesn't miss a trick, that man.