Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

I just want to find out who Lord English is, drat.

I mean, I'm going to be kind of underwhelmed if he's a completely new character, what with all the "he is already here" stuff. I don't think he's going to be a random pseudo-lovecraftian monster because it would make the horrorterrors look like total redundant chumps in comparison.

Personally I think it's going to have something to do with Wayward Vagabond, the ring, the piece of uranium he ate, some time fuckery, and the green sun.

Or Vriska. It's Vriskas all the way down.

He is us. The fans. The ancestors surrendered their agency to LE, and so were turned into exactly the kind of people that make for great fanfiction and shipping, despite the fact that it ruined their lives. And LE will do it again and again, for every universe that is born, forcing each one to bend to his desire for sick fetishistic fantasy.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Wow. Bro is my new favorite. That kind of eloquence and introspection totally speaks to me.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Fast Backward posted:

Hussie would rather mess around with Ms. Paint than just plain mess with her. He wants to gently caress her.

Anyhow, you can tell Jane's not dead because of the question mark.

Tell us more about your projected carapace fetish.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Wasn't there a thing where 4chan was going to mail him a bunch of dildos or something

As it should be.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Gods almighty, I have never felt this way about a webcomic. I absolutely cannot be satisfied. I NEED more, all the time, no matter how much I get. Everything about it is just so perfect. The whole group dynamic is changing, scores of once-divided characters are finally meeting and are guarenteed a long stretch to just, socialize. Chill out and play some fuckin scrabble. This kind of tempering to all the high-strung drama is just so cathartic.

I am having so much fun! :buddy:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

A great man posted:

Through an intense commitment bordering on religious devotion to the absolutely inane, absurd, or plain loving stupid, a very different kind of sincerity begins to materialize. One of reverence to the ridiculous. You begin to "mean it," but what exactly it is you mean is never quite what appears on the surface, and is utterly inaccessible to obtuse and literal minds. That you "mean it" then becomes inseparable from the joke, and additional rich strata of humor may be stripped aggressively from this irreconcilable truth.
That's really all there is to say on the matter.

This passage is what makes me pumped up to see Bro more than any other character.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

VJeff posted:

Uhhhhhhh.

There is pretty much no possible way Hussie /isn't/ going to go carrot-and-stick with the shippers the way they're chomping at the bit (and other equestrian metaphors).

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Dolash posted:

A combination pizza hutt and taco bell, obviously.

I will elaborate for those not privy to the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgnQdBEiz8

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
So in actual discussion news, doesn't Karkat having a 'this is stupid' moment mean he's going to stop having a loving cow about poo poo that doesn't actually matter anywhere that isn't his own head, as John did after his own such moment?

Because as joyous as that was little leader man needs to get off his nook and do some loving leading. :colbert:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Jack you are the worst. What even is this poo poo.

Personally I'm expecting an x3 expectation subversion combo and Jane's realself isn't actually dead, just taking a nap. Because otherwise HUSSIIIIIIIE

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

KoB posted:

Am I the only one that thinks her realself isnt dead? She had the smoke pellets and the ominous red pellet. I assumed that it was mirroring John since he used the smokescreen to run off with Sburb and the package.

No. You are not. As evidenced by the post you literally just quoted. :stare:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Looks like Jack is just poised to flip his poo poo when the kids hit thirteen years, and the two extra years for this set of kids gave him time to plot a clean coup.

That devious son of an inkwell.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Could we be getting another big god tier flash at midnight?

Doubt it. I think this is Maid stuff going on; Aradia could do some weird poo poo before any of that god tier stuff happened, and I'm pretty sure dying on your mailbox doesn't make that happen.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
MSPaint Adventures - Come for the theory, stay for the creepy.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Since there's a poo poo load of overlap here, Radiation did a couple tracks for I Miss You - EarthBound 2012.

It is wonderful.

I just want to say that anyone who hasn't clicked this link should do so literally right now. It's magical.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Hey. Hey guys. Hey.

What makes the Condence different from Feferi?

She's Meenah. :downsrim:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

So, Tavros. Tavros is a pretty perfect example of a character death that makes sense not only for his own character arc, but pretty much everyone else's, as well. He was kinda useless and pathetic, but after getting robot legs from Equius (with help from Kanaya's friendly chainsaw), he emboldened himself and modeled himself after Vriska, the most confident person he knows.

He saves Jade's life (and killed Grandpa Harley), then decided that Vriska is a Bad Person and Bad People need to be punished, so he grabbed his lance and tried to kill her. This backfired, Vriska killed him as a good troll would, and wouldn't you believe it she felt bad about it afterwards! This was more or less unprecedented, as expected. Then, later, in part because of this same killing (in addition to Vriska's general hubris and refusal to listen to Terezi), Terezi kills Vriska, which as of this latest chatlog is known as something Terezi regrets.

Tavros directly and indirectly continued to affect people even after his death, as he did in life. These things didn't happen in a vacuum as you seem to assume.

This is a Good Post. :golfclap:

All the talk about agency in this thread is getting so dense, and it seems like the comic's own narrative can lend credence to multiple, even conflicting, points of view. I think that lends a certain weight to this story, a permanance that may make it last longer than it's shiny veneer of pop culture would suggest. It's a story that makes you think drat hard.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I am grooving so drat hard to Jade Sylph. It is 2CHILL :supaburn:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
/\/\/\ e: :argh:

Kazy posted:

Can someone please tell me what Sonic Adventure level music Sunslammer reminds me of? It's driving me crazy :argh:

This got me listening to a lot of the tracks from that game, and while none of them truly sync up they share the same riff structure throughout most of the stage songs. Twinkle Park, Emerald Coast, and Final Egg. None of them are close enough to really make you go OH MAN THAT ONE but you can feel the link between them nevertheless.

Dice Dingus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 6, 2012

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

creationist believer posted:

I just feel like I need to say it... Does anyone else feel like at about 3:10 in Rain, there's a sound that sounds like someone chewing on a pen and breathing heavily or something like that? It's always grossed me out and kinda ruined Medium as a soundtrack to me... :\ It only lasts like 10 or 20 seconds and I guess I'm just sensitive about it. Especially since the other 6 minutes of that song are so great :|

There are samples of mouth sounds, yes, but that actually makes it my favorite because it fits so perfectly for it's original intent. I always thought that in that lull towards the middle-late part of the song it sounded like... How do I put it, like whispers just barely too quiet to make out, like the secrets of the dripping earth were calling to be found. To this day, I get chills every time I hear it, it's my favorite track off that album.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I'm going to level with you all here, because this is a thought that I have never had about anything that has ever happened in Homestuck.

I don't know if Andrew can make this work. It's just a little too hosed up, and I'm not sure the gimmick will really function comically. And it skirts the line between mocking fanfiction and becoming fanfiction REALLY HARD.

Hussie, I need you to make this work. Seal the deal, man, give me something that makes me bust my rear end laughing or I'm going to succumb to the creepiness of what just transpired here.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

In other news, mr. liveblogger just discovered SBaHJ and has predictably flipped the gently caress out.

I need a link to this. SBaHJ is unironically my favorite part of MSPA and I need to see his puny Troper brain flatten like a bad souffle.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Bobulus posted:

We really should go easy on him. He's apparently 15 years old, and everyone thinks they know everything at that age. Even the TvTropes bullshit is forgiven. :unsmith:

Strongly disagree. Internet humiliation has and continues to teach me valuable lessons.

Also, how can he hate Rose? Dislike I can understand, but it's not like she doesn't add to the story or doesn't have funny moments.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Seoinin posted:

It is a good thing indeed that sprites don't have feet, because otherwise Tavris would have socks, sandals, AND skrillex hair. More like dude-that-would-make-you-elbow-your-friend-if-you-saw-him-in-the-foodcourt-sprite

Put him in a bathrobe and beach shorts. The Dudesprite.

All his advice would be made cryptic only because it was poorly enunciated, pockmarked with expletives, and broken up by drinks of white russian.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Krinkle posted:

what's in the pumpkin

WHAT"S IN THE PUMPKIN???

I'm sorry I don't understand, can you put that in the form of a jittery animated gif?

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

I think English is as much part of the natural ecology as MissingNo. is to Pokemon. He's natural because every universe has this mistake of coding in it.
Sburb is still in beta/alpha after all.

:stare: That is a STAGGERINGLY apt analogy. I wasn't having a hard time wrapping my head around LE or anything, but that really just sealed my understanding in good and tight. Look at you go.

On a different note, it just occured to me that reading Homestuck is kind of like playing a really, absurdly long Chrono Trigger. You keep thinking you know what's going on and then it's like 'nope part of something so much bigger you look like a chump, chump!' and you love it every time.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I hope we get to see some more, because they all have totally gobsmackingly cool names.

"Fantasia's Inhale"
"Feathercadence"
"Breathless Battaglia"
"Ivories in the Fire"

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's also the fact that uu is explicitly an audience surrogate figure and that opens up some fascinating possibilities for Lord English. Skaia, with its "infinite creative potential", becomes a metaphor for the storytelling process as a whole--creating whole new worlds which ultimately only exist for the "consumption" of the audience, which has the entire span of the story laid neatly out in an archival format which they can jump back and forth through at their leisure. And like the old saying goes, wherever you go, there you (already) are.

Some people, myself included, have been insisting on this for months, and it's going to make a fantastic narrative climax. And the hyperfans who are simultaneously creepy as all get out and sharp enough to figure out the commentary on creepy fans are going to write the most bitter, vicious screeds the internet has ever seen. We're on our way to the goldmine already. :getin:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
T-Minus five to Lord of the Rings jokes.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I gonna throw in on the side of 'Calliope is actually really there but intangible, or at least has powers that have the same effect'. Here's some more tumblr-sourced theorizing, this one's really good. Here's a linkback.

magitechnical-geovivency posted:

SO, basically Calliope and Caliborn are both self-inserts but they do it in VERY different ways, based on how their powers work.

As a Muse of Space, Calliope works somewhat like… an inspiration, right? That’s what a Muse does, doesn’t it? Influences the shaping of an entire Universe. Probably even the entirety of Paradox Space. She’s written about events, possibly eons before/after her existence, and created a self-insert who would provide subtle, yet plot-impacting influences to what’s going on around the world. Like a ghost, or more accurately, as a literal Muse, across all the entire Universe. She wakes up John. She (maybe) stops the fight. She does all of these things without ever really doing it because she’s making it happen, as they speak, as the characters act. She’s a fanfiction writer whose work is made reality. A self-insert who actually writes what’s going on.

But her brother is different.

While both of them are ever-present forces, Caliborn, as a Lord of Time, is more concrete. He is ever-present. He exists in all timelines, in all universes. He is a bringer of ends. He puts himself in a story, and makes himself the villain, the ultimate evil. He’s indestructible, he’s here, and he’s the reason you’re all going to die. As it is told, repeated, and eventually proved, He is already here.

Well, so is Calliope. She just works in a far more subtle way from the perspective of the reader. She’s a guardian angel, really. In the end this is the story of how a constant battle of the inner self. Of Good and Evil. Creation and Entropy. Angels and Demons. It’s about Calliope and Caliborn.

That’s pretty fuckin’ cool.

Basically, Calliope is already here too, but her power is not to dominate, to insist that things go a certain way, it's to inspire, so that the actors themselves in the story act of their own will a certain way. And if I may be so bold, though Caliborn may think and present himself as the more powerful force, I suspect they are equal at the very least, and possibly the ultimate 'moral' of the story will be that Calliope's creative, cooperative, supportive power is the greater of the two.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If I had a nickel for every time someone called something a "Gnostic story"...

When will people realize that Gnosticism can be pretty much read into just about every post-modern media franchise?

For what it's worth, reading something into a story is considered just as valid if not moreso than authorial intent in the post-modern framework. Something doesn't have to be premeditatedly gnostic to come off as gnostic. And that wouldn't be a valid argument in this case anyway, because it's very blatantly obvious that it's intentionally trudging about waist-deep in gnostic symbolism and archetype and you either have to be really lucky or really knowledgable to do this good a job of it.

And also that article is a really great read. I'm gonna go read about gnosticism when I get home because wow cool.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
A cute face!
The cutest face! 0u0

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

MyFaceBeHi posted:

It's the STRONGEST gift you can give.

This was the best Christmas present. The Gamzeeist Christmas.

Gamzeemas.

The angel Makara on Zahhakmas Day...

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

Tumblr is Burning.

Andrew Hussie you can't do this to me.
I am going to laugh until I DIE.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Line Feed posted:

But is the unseen riddler Lord English, or Gamzee?

It's Andrew Hussie, always pulling back the prize of whole understanding and satisfying resolution, leaving only...
Absence.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I've been only-just-barely following the comic for the last I don't know how many microacts now, because it's all getting a bit drawn out for me.

And then, the Huss did something magical. He finally made me understand why some people love John so much.

John is basically Finn The Human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
With the benefit of hindsight provided by this extended hiatus, I have begun to realize that maybe Homestuck isn't very good. Certainly, the pacing is atrocious in the extreme, and as I go back to read over earlier sections I find the extended chatlog presentation cumbersome once the obnoxious typing quirks are introduced. The inconsistent visual style is also jarring, and it's use of diction is at times impenetrably obtuse (kind of like this sentence). All this is a pity, because underneath it are some really endearing characters and heartwarming stories.

I'm ready for it to end. And then I'm going to play Namco High and hopefully laugh my butt off.