Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My, how the time flies. Only four days left until the big end of Act 5 extravaganza? The music team has probably whipped up something incredibly special for it, too. Can't wait for the dazzling sensory splendor. :allears:

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Andrew Hussie just might top himself here, and the subsequent flashes will all be underwhelming by comparison. After all, he can't spend a month on all of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

A good poster posted:

Does point one mean this will be an interactive flash? I imagine that making sure a regular flash animation plays right would not require multiple days of debugging. Could he mean there are problems in the current version of Flash that are causing problems?

As for the second point, he's used Newgrounds to redirect traffic that would have killed his own server. Does Newgrounds have an upper limit in file size that this file would exceed?

I think if you have a Newgrounds account you can upload like 500 MB or so onto your personal file storage bin. I don't think a Flash animation would be bigger than that unless you're absolutely insane* or super pro**

*Like Andrew Hussie

**Also like Andrew Hussie

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
At this point I think EOA5 will be either the Homestuck equivalent of a Metal Gear Solid cutscene or the most massive walkaround flash.

Maybe both...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

marsattacks posted:

This is lame, but I'm honestly going to be really sad when Homestuck is over. It's a great story, and I wish I'd gotten into it a year ago.

I'm not the only one, right?

Right?

I got into Homestuck last November, so hearing that the end is in sight makes me incredibly sad. It's only been about eleven and a half months since I started reading it and we're already in the endgame, it's like catching up on a show you've heard so many great things about right in the middle of its final season. :smith: If I had stuck with MSPA back after Problem Sleuth had ended my life would have been so much different. Seriously.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
/\/\/\/\/\
Please tell me you're not going to try to marathon Homestuck in one day. In that way lies madness.

To celebrate the coming Tuesday, I come bearing a gift!

This was so much fun.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Where the heck is this dreambubble breakout theory coming from? It's not something I've particularly seen in the comic, except for Sollux possibly leaving a bubble. But he's kind of a special case.

All the dead players are in dream bubbles within the Furthest Ring. So if you could navigate through the Furthest Ring (with the help of your Heroes of Space and Time), you could find these dream bubbles and spring your fellow players from them.

There's nothing that actually suggests that this will happen besides 1. that all these dead characters are in the Furthest Ring, 2. that all our living heroes will travel through the Furthest Ring at some point, and 3. that some fans want to see their favorite dead trolls alive again.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Tollymain posted:

also nice musics as always

Is that influences from the Jaws theme I hear?

I totally wasn't thinking about Jaws when I was working on this, but I guess any menacing strings ostinato will end up sounding like Jaws.

Come to think of it, Lord English is kind of like a cosmic, atemporal, metauniversal Jaws.
edit: I'm not going to continue this analogy because I haven't actually seen Jaws before

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Man, I also tried to celebrate the end of Act 5 with a bit of music myself, but it's nowhere near the level of quality of WMM's, as I literally started making music less than 2 months ago and I'm like, still in high school. Anyway here it is I guess.

It's supposed to be a theme for the Land of Brains and Fire, but maybe Sollux as a whole, I dunno.

You're better than I was when I was in high school after two months of mucking around in FL Studio. I'd recommend more backing instruments and a more constant drum pattern throughout.

President Ark posted:

What the gently caress? Go watch Jaws, you hacks. It's a legitimately good movie.

The great movies I haven't seen could fill a library...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Nate RFB posted:

It's been a really weird two months, but I think having the thread closed was a good idea. Since I don't really follow formspring/tumblr/twitter or really any kind of Homestuck news outside of these threads, what insanity went down during the downtime?

You missed the totally awesome Jailbreak album the music team put out. Oh and also the mspa forums didn't break out into Lord of the Flies dysfunction

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
What if he put up the flash as a torrent until he can work out hosting? It wouldn't take that long to gain a fuckton of seeders from the fan community, within an hour or so of him starting to seed it you could download that thing in like a few minutes.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Also re: Newgrounds, I think they cap file-sizes, and this one might be too big.

If you're actually submitting something to Newgrounds, yeah, there's a filesize cap of about ten megs I think. No limit on what filesize you can upload onto your own dropbox, although it has to be less than 512 megs.

quote:

Unrelated and completely insincere speculation: the flash reveals Lord English by hijacking your browser, grabbing your profile picture from Facebook, and inserting you into the Cairo Overcoat.

This would be amazing.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Going to sleep tonight is going to be like going to sleep on Christmas Eve. :3: I am so excited for this and the new album, I feel like a kid again.

Probably gonna buy the new album the instant I see it, just like all the rest. MSPA Music Team albums are always insta-buys for me.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

flatluigi posted:

Photoshop plugin?

AFAIK it's something involving colors. Andrew Hussie is really, really good at colors.

e: f,b

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
T-T-T-TRIPLE GOD TIER COMBO!!! I guess underneath the hate and murder and universal genocide, Jack is still a good dog :3: Also RIP AR, WK, WQ, and WV...

I am satisfied in every way by this update. Every single way. Oh god what a way to start my morning.

e. also also dog tier Jade is the best god tier

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
What I've learned from EOA5 is that Andrew Hussie is not only a master storyteller and a guy who really, really, really knows his way around colors, he's also an incredible director and (visual) composer. As far as animation goes there's nothing too groundbreaking about the EOA5 flash--motion tweening, stretching, and scaling, generally--but when it comes to him setting a scene, juxtaposing elements, etc, he can do it, and do it perfectly. This is true of pretty much all of the flashes in Homestuck but it stood out to me the most here.

I want to see Hussie direct some sort of film someday.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, I'd rather see what he could do if he really buckled down and learned how to animate. If he can do things this great with simple tools, I can't even imagine how great his work would be if he really knew his poo poo and could work with a better animation program.

Didn't Hussie pretty much have to learn everything about Flash once he started Homestuck?

Maybe come next project he'll start learning something else. He will be unstoppable.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gabriel Pope posted:

Someone needs to buy Andrew a Korean sweatshop to crank out tweens for him so that he can fully animate this poo poo.

If all his fans chip in a bit, I'm sure they could raise enough money in no time at all!

I still think it would be funny and awesome if, after Homestuck ends, all the fans pitch in a little bit for the "Let's Buy Andrew Hussie a New Ferarri Pledge Drive".

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Radiation posted:

I keep asking him to go to Olive Garden but we keep realizing how stupid it is. There's not one near him and the food is lovely.

Where did the whole Olive Garden thing come from anyway?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

President Ark posted:

I'm rereading Homestuck and I'm in act 5 and I noticed a huge plot hole that will blow this poo poo wide open.

How does Vriska know Italian? :downs:

The real question is how do they know English? :c00lbert:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"Windy thing" does seem like a pretty weaksauce power now that we have a dog-lady who can shrink planets.

I'm pretty sure being the Hero of Breath is also meant in the metaphysical/spiritual sense, not just physical control of air. In almost all of human history breath has had religious connections to the spirit/life. Jade and Dave have control over physical properties of existence, space and time, and John and Rose have control over the more metaphysical properties, life and fate.

Jade is ridiculously overpowered now compared to everyone else though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Hussie handles this development.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
On the subject of the new album, Calamity is one hell of an album-opener. I think I like Revered Return better than Scourge Sisters too. But just about everything is so fantastic!

I decided to do another bit of fan music. I don't do enough stuff in major keys, so I decided to work in a bit of Blood Covered Walls along with the Chorale theme.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I could have sworn there was a bit where Doc Scratch basically says something like "I once taught a young troll how to glow in the dark", which would mean that he's totally responsible for Kanaya's vampirismrainbow-drinker-ism.

edit: here, not quite what I thought he said, but it still implies that Scratch had something to do with it. I think.

Doc Scratch posted:

What would you say if I said a dutiful girl raised in the daylight was protected by a bulb-headed guardian, and learned to glow in the dark after death?

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 31, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lord of Laughton posted:

Hey, I'm not sure if this was pointed out yet, but remember the most important character in Homestuck? Well, as we saw in the flash, there's another character watching simultaneously.

As if there was any doubt.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I just finished re-reading Problem Sleuth and will probably start Homestuck from the beginning some time soon, since it's practically the anniversary of my re-discovery of MSPaint Adventures. The Higgs Bonehead is one of my favorite jokes in Problem Sleuth and I'm really not sure why. I think MSPA in general needs more particle physics jokes.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I like to think that Lord English (and Doc Scratch) take on attributes based on the universes they dwell in. The trolls created Scratch out of a cue ball and Li'l Cal (who was created by Gamzee), so Lord English has a scary Cal-ish head and is also sort of a juggalo. The cairo overcoat, sarcophagus, and maybe the peg leg are universal constants, like John Cusack (maybe). So in the kids' scratched session there will be a new Scratch (created by alchemizing the cue ball "seed" with something else) and thus a new English with different attributes.

I don't get the ripped bod, though. Maybe Equius had some influence on English's physical appearance. But I really don't want to think about that...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Clean Your Teeth posted:

ok, sure - i get the point you're making, but I don't think it especially applies to god tiers above anyone else in the story.

but anyway, will be interesting to see if the next panels immediatley follow lord english or if hussie decides to put him back in the box for a while

They can't, the intermission's already over. Oh well.

Unless Hussie decides to do another intermission in between now and 11/11/11.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

jvempire posted:

The theory my friend and I made was that this is LE first form, and because LE is basically a final boss he will have multiple forms. Also he was blabbering about how LE takes a bit of his appearance from the first thing prototyped, which was Cal (and I guess it would also explain LE's red cheeks). Don't know how true that is but it makes sense.

He also has Cal's gold tooth.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I just remembered that "sarcophagus" is Greek for "flesh-eating box." So this means that a universe-eating monster travels in a flesh-eating box. It's like they were made for each other!

While we all cower in awe of the terror that is Lord English, I made something completely different! Way back in September I planned to make a crazy bombastic song for each of the four kids, and I've finally gotten to Jade now that she's the second most powerful character in the entire story. Still working on the bridge between the intro and the next part, and also it still needs a middle and an ending.

edit: a time traveling sarcophagus is much cooler than a time traveling phone box or police box. There, I said it. No taking it back :colbert:

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 3, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Level Slide posted:

A part of me believes that the players in the kids' newly recycled universe are going to round out the remaining god tier positions. If there are any left. Are there any left?

There's the twelve we know about (the kids and four of the trolls share positions), and as far as I know Andrew hasn't hinted at there being more than that.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I guess Dave flying off the handle can go back in the avatar repository, although I'm not sure how I feel about someone else having it. I guess someone already has a non-animated version, although I forget who.

Anyway, I went with a Karkat quote from his very first pesterlog. I also flipped him around and removed the Gamzee blood from his cheek. Now it looks like he is critiquing me and my posting.

Or the poster right above you.

I think I need to get myself a Karkat avatar. It's about time I got an avatar of my patron troll!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Reading Homestuck is actually kind of like reading one of Shakespeare's plays, except instead of powerful and nuanced language and incredibly deep subtext you have to work through in order to figure out what's going on, there's leetspeak and weird plot poo poo you have to dissect.
:goonsay:

Last 4/13 I actually ran into a guy on the MSPA forums who actually thought Andrew Hussie was a better storyteller than Shakespeare. Now, I understand that Shakespeare might not be for everybody, but I sincerely doubt that, as good as Andrew Hussie is and as much as I love Homestuck and everything about it, anything that happens in Homestuck will be as emotionally powerful as the final act of "King Lear".

But then again, maybe in four hundred years the works of Andrew Hussie will be taught in English literature courses, while various crackpots peddle the theories that Homestuck was actually written by Ryan North :v:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Walliard posted:

Given the sheer volume, I could see an entire college-level course dedicated to analyzing Homestuck. It'd be better than some of the stuff that passes for college courses these days.

As far-fetched as it sounds, I wouldn't put it past someone trying to do this years in the future (but not many). A lot of English professors are always looking to involve contemporary stuff in their courses. One of the literature classes my university's English program is offering next semester is a Human Values in Literature course devoted entirely to short stories, books, comic books, and movies about zombies (even Evil Dead is listed in the course description).

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Valex posted:

There's not really much to flesh out with Gamzee. He's a clown that likes sopor slime and likes to murder people when he doesn't have it :)

I guess it can kind of be a problem though when characters who have really important effects on the story have personalities verging on one-dimensional.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gizmotinker posted:

To know how you "feel about that", stare intently at the works of Shakespeare.

Plagiarized plots, made up words and dick jokes.

It's not fair to call Shakespeare's plots "plagiarized" because even though he cribbed a lot from old stories, he did a lot of work to make them his own. For example, he took an obscure Italian novella as inspiration for "The Merchant of Venice" and pretty much invented Shylock's entire character and backstory out of whole cloth, and "King Lear" was pieced together from multiple stories--the Glouchester plot and the Lear plot were two completely unrelated stories before Shakespeare appropriated them. :colbert:

Shakespeare was great at making up words and making puns about genitals, cuckolds, and venereal diseases, though, I'll agree with you there.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Omnomnomnivore posted:

You can think Homestuck is awesome and worthy of being obsessed with for 3 years, and recognize that it's a giant unedited first draft that wouldn't suffer if someone went through it with a red pen after it's finished.

I'm pretty sure Hussie even said something like "This is a giant unedited first draft" in his old formspring.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I still think "got to church!" is the funniest SBaHJ.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

FunkyAl posted:

Had it been created 90 years prior, SBaHJ would not be out of place in a museum.

Anyone who could have recreated SBaHJ's artificing before computers were even invented would have been a master artist indeed.

And probably on a lot of very strange and powerful drugs.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Anyone who unironically compares Andrew Hussie to Tim Buckley because of :words: is obviously a sad sack of tears who can't move past it and heal. Hussie and Buckley are both verbose, but everything Buckley writes is either equivocating white noise or offensively awful attempts at humor. Hussie writes a lot, but he writes things that are actually entertaining in a non-bile fascination way.

Also Hussie can actually draw and tell an engaging story.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Dolash posted:

I know (hope) we're past the literary comparison throwdown, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Shakespeare was considered downright trashy in his day. I mean, theater was pretty persecuted in Puritan England, there's a reason they had to build them alongside the bordellos just outside the city limits.

Shakespeare was most definitely not regarded as trash in his day. Dude performed for royalty, that was about as far from trash as you could get in those days. He was also very well respected by his peers.

Sorry, I just like talking about Shakespeare.

quote:

Anyway. I don't think Homestuck would translate well to any other medium. Hell, I don't even know if it ages well, so much of it comes from the moment-to-moment interactions and reactions of the fanbase and the authour. Does the jokey troll romance tantrum make sense unless you were there to read all the angry posts about trolls? Do the big flash updates carry the same weight if you haven't waited weeks for each of them? What about the injokes you're just not going to notice, like the PantsKat stuff?

I think Hussie's made it clear that Homestuck adapted into any other medium wouldn't be Homestuck anymore. He knows that a Homestuck graphic novel/novel wouldn't be able to do the same tricks as Homestuck the webcomic, and that's kind of the point of adapting anything into any other medium. He's exchanging the strengths of one medium for the strengths of another.

quote:

Short of cramming the whole thing on to a disc/into a file that's formatted to store the whole comic as-is in an easily interactable medium, any other effort to deliver Homestuck would be akin to writing the whole thing over from scratch. Almost none of it would work with books like Problem Sleuth does (the text is unsuited and goes on for a length comparable to Lord of the Rings, try to make that fit nice on a page as a column of instant messages. Music is right out, interactive flashes can't be interactive, gifs are frozen, hell the only thing that might work are the mostly-still panels).

I have no idea how he plans on pulling it off of if even he himself knows yet. If he is planning to adapt it from scratch, as I imagine he has to, then I can't see him working on it and keeping up with the next MSPaint Adventure concurrently, unless the guy forgoes eating and sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Boneless Jogger posted:

According to TopatoCo, a new Problem Sleuth book and the first Homestuck book will be coming out later this month. So that's something to look forward to. :allears:

Finally, we get to see how the hell Hussie's going to pull this off.