Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

QueerPope posted:

While we wait for 11/11/11, why don't we appreciate this wonderful thing that showed up over in the Fandom!Secrets thread.

Truly, this is the one and only true way of looking at it.

Why Jade = Reagan?

I mean, Sollux = bipartisanship and Feferi = social welfare programs are easy enough deductions to make, Karkat = leftism and Gamzee = the middle class is a bit of a stretch, and Vriska = Vriska is pretty self-evident, but Jade = Reagan just comes out of left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gizmotinker posted:

All the players are running a server and a client on their computer. The question is "are there explicit rules against the server and the client being the same person?"

I could see a Hero of Time having his/her future self be the server player.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It reminds me of cartoons like "Samurai Jack" where the bad guys were giant monsters or robots, so their "blood" was always radioactive green or black and they could show as much bloody carnage as he wanted as long as there wasn't any "human" blood shown. Quite a few action cartoons from my childhood did this if I remember correctly.

e. Also I think Sam Raimi had to use multi-colored mystery liquids instead of blood quite a few times in the Evil Dead trilogy because otherwise the films would have had too much blood in them.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 10, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Oxxidation posted:

That's nothing. The series is riddled with scenes where Jack just wanders into a bar and straight-up goes pro ice on some bug alien. Who then explodes. Robot!

Let's hope the inevitable machine uprising's overlords never get access to old cartoons. They will be so cross.

I do not look forward to the day when robots gain sentience and human rights and all of a sudden it's not "PC" to have wanton robot decapitations in children's cartoons.

Also, a Hivebent animated series by Genndy Tartakovsky would be awesome as gently caress. The stylized character design and PG alien ultraviolence would be sure to make it a hit among all male age demographics.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Walliard posted:

Wait, you were at [S] Jade: Enter a day ago... :psyduck:

Sleep? Who needs it when you have a fantastic webcomic to marathon?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
From what I remember, Hussie doesn't do that much planning ahead when he writes, so he shows you the red herrings and the truth at the same time and doesn't decide which is which until later on (sometimes much, much later on). Which I think is a pretty cool way of doing things.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Talorat posted:

I don't get why skyrim and this updating have to happen at the same time

11/11/11 is just a really popular date. It's like a super-palindrome or something.

I think the beginning of Act 6 will show the Scratched universe and also maybe Lord English doing something evil.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Crazy speculation time: the sun is the cue ball; Doc Scratch in this universe is a sentient sun.

He really is an excellent host...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Let's throw some impossible, groundless speculation on this roaring bonfire and maybe burn off our eyebrows.

We know that, in theory, successful players of Sburb create new universes and are then allowed to enter them and rebuild their civilization while living like "gods."

How does this happen? Perhaps... perhaps they have Exile-like command terminals???

(Before we get started on it, I know, this raises more questions, like the nature of the Troll session that created this Scratched Earth, and how it relates to the Troll Ancestors we know who were said to have failed by a man who never lies except when he does. But, well, it's a thought!)

I always thought that successful players would be a bit more direct than that. I mean, players who play the game right end up immortal, with fantastic powers and fancy costumes. They'd probably be more of the kind of gods in ancient mythology who physically intercede in the affairs of the world rather than the more modern Western kind of gods as invisible forces that influence people by speaking to them or sending down prophets.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Let out an audible "OH poo poo" at "Jake English".

Also, since "The Time Traveling Demon" is apparently a real movie in this universe, that means there are four actors named "John Egbert", "Rose Lalonde", "Dave Strider", and "Jade Harley" completely unrelated to the kids or the new guardians (as far as we know) as well as a director/producer/writer named "Andrew Hussie" in this universe.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Supercar Gautier posted:

The bottom of the poster is cut off, so it looks like Andrew was conscious of the need to massage the poster art into something canonically sane.

Also, hahahahahaha there's a picture of Smurfette just below it.

I like my idea better. That is my headcanon.

Oh god I just used the word headcanon

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Seoinin posted:

Turnaround time on this "x is turning evil" thing has gotten amazing.

Well what do you expect when one of the new characters shares his their surnames with the biggest villains in the whole comic?

e: fixed

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 11, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Color Printer posted:

That's because, thanks to the Scratch, this is now the alpha timeline.

Does this mean the kids from the old universe are doomed, like all those non-alpha timeline Daves?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
We know that Doc Scratch engineers the races in the post-Scratch universes to be more adept at winning SxxxB. The trolls became bloodthirsty and competitive, with a penchant for building really tall houses. Here it looks like the change in the human race to allow them to better play the game is more highly advanced sylladex technology, which would definitely give the players an edge. I wonder what other facets of human society has changed. The "multiglobal empire" thing implies spacefaring technology, at least...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Dad's alive! :neckbeard:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Fortis posted:

It's (very, very remotely) possible that the original kids have been working in the background for 2.5 years and this is a bit of a timeskip for everybody.

This makes me think of John, Rose, Dave, Jade, and the (still alive) trolls flying around the world foiling Betty Crocker's plans like a Justice League comprised entirely of thirteen-year-old/six-sweeps-old kids. It would be like one of those stories where Lex Luthor becomes president and the superheroes have to do all their heroing underground.

And you know what? That's a pretty cool mental image to me.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

readingatwork posted:

The best 70's cartoon.

Edit: gently caress! I wish I knew Flash because MAN do I want to animate this now.

Just watch out for the RADICAL HARDCORE 90s comic book reboot drawn by Rob Liefeld...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Citizen Rat posted:

I really want to be all excited about the new kids but honestly my heart is stuck with the trolls and I'm not so interested in this arc given I'm pretty sure that Hussie has decided to kill em all to clear the way for more human kids.

Human kids are so god damned boring.

We have one kid who's being subtly brainwashed by "They Live"-style subliminal messages and one who might be almost certainly is related to Lord English, and we're only three days into Act 6. I wouldn't call the two out of four new kids we've met so far "boring" by any means, but that's just my opinion.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

_Endgame_ posted:

http://i.imgur.com/GUGKJ.jpg

I'm not sure what to even say about that, Hussie has said "yes" >.>

I don't know what I'm looking at.

What am I looking at here?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

sansuki posted:

The thirteenth troll is all the trolls in one. Like...like a lasagna. Layer of sauce, layer of troll.

The thirteenth troll is all the trolls collaborating with each other to form the perfect mysterious future guide figure. Like a troll Voltron.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Reregular posted:

Actually no, Crocker wants humans to cease reproduction. I was just wondering so people wouldn't get so up in arms about fanart.

I don't see how you putting that idea out there makes it any more palatable. :frogout:

Considering one of the subliminal messages is "DIE", I'm beginning to think that humans on this Earth may be an oppressed indigenous minority Crocker wants to drive to extinction for whatever reason.

Really makes me wonder what the turning point was in this universe's history (besides the First Guardian being different).

edit: probably alien invasion. In the 1950s. Why not?

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 16, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Guy Fieri, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Andrew Hussie does not condone underage drinking.

That said, this pesterlog was awesome.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Sepherothic posted:

Countdown to Jake booty shorts thigh holster fanart...

Edit: Well that was fast
http://ib.skaia.net/post/view/25373

Eventually the time gap between Homestuck and Homestuck fanart will become so small that both will happen simultaneously. This is the Homestuck singularity, and like the technological singularity, it is eagerly anticipated by nerds of all kinds.

The real danger, though, is when the time gap between Homestuck and Homestuck fanart becomes negative and fanart starts being created before there is even anything to make fanart of. This reversal of causality will turn the universe inside-out.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Jake is like equal parts Jade and Equius now.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I finally finished the Dog Tier Jade strife theme I was working on! I ended up collaborating with another fan musician, DiamondCrash, to make something really special!

DC did all the guitars and even redid the drums when I got too frustrated with the way mine were turning out. I never realized how fun collaborations could be.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

RuanGacho posted:

Well Manicured Man I just want to express my fondness for this, it's very good, and I enjoy listening to it. The instrumental selection and how the pieces fit together are really to my taste, thank you.

Thanks! I spent a long time tweaking all the symphonic instruments so that they fit together nicely with the guitars and even then I'm still not sure if I'm satisfied with my part of the song :v:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

pandaK posted:

Sort of a segway, but do you happen to have a good tutorial on how to use a program like FL Studio to create music?

How To Make Electronic Music is a good source for info, but I mainly figured out FL Studio through trial and error (and reading the manual sometimes).

edit: oh and right now I'm using Reaper for its 64-bit capability, and I'm pretty much learning that by trial and error too. It's a lot simpler and easier to use than FL Studio, although FL Studio comes with better presets. And by 'comes with better presets" I mean it comes with presets.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 21, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Saradiart posted:

I wonder why her name would be something shocking and/or terrifying.

Unless it's like... Vriska Egbert Jr or something.

Maybe her name is Betty Crocker :tinfoil:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I wonder if Jake is going to end up being the host for Lord English just like Doc Scratch was.

Nah, that's way too obvious.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Troll quadrants on Earth. My god, it's a Homestuck shipper's wet dream come true :stare:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Poor Tinkerbull :ohdear:

What lusus is next?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

GLOSS posted:

Uh oh...

Totally going on my Christmas list.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Level Slide posted:

Alright, headcanon personal preference time. Whose voice do you hear given a specific character's dialog?

Me? I hear Doc Scratch speaking like Hades (Disney) and John sounding like this.

Ooh, I love this game.
I always imagine Karkat with the voice of Domon from G-Gundam, and John with the voice of Finn from Adventure Time. Doc Scratch sounds like Fuhrer Bradley/Wrath from Fullmetal Alchemist. Eridan sounds like Dexter (no, the other one).

And, of course, Terezi sounds like Gilbert Gottfried.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

King of Solomon posted:

It has been for a while, now. I think it's because Homestuck is severely oversaturating the place.

I think roughly half of everything on Tindeck is made up of Homestuck voice acting auditions for various fan projects.

FutureSushi posted:

Tangentially related to the thread, I played some of Well Manicured Man's music on my radio show I guess! Just kinda hucked it into the playlist and so people in their cars got to hear some barely audible (due to radio compression and whatnot) carnival stuff. Yay! Here's a link to the playlist.

I just noticed this and it makes me feel kinda :blush:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If each book ends up being an act, Book 5 will be about as many pages as The Lord of the Rings unless Andrew does some serious trimming. I'd expect a lot of Hivebent to be condensed, along with probably some of the Scratch section.

Also wondering how Andrew's going to tackle the walkaround flashes. But that isn't going to happen for a while.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

tinaun posted:

And just like that, the doodled copies are all sold out.

Just imagine how much faster they would have sold out if Andrew had put out an announcement on the main page earlier today.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cabbit posted:

I bet it's going to be a compliment of the Doom symbol, sort of like how the Space and Void symbols interlock.

The hope and doom symbols will be both halves of Barack Obana's face.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Jesoteric posted:

Did anyone see that tumblr post about Feferi being ableist because she said retarded? There was a bunch of wank about it.

I am all for people not saying rude things but I guess tumblr sort of frustrates me in that they take everything ever as being oppressive, and I feel like that takes away from some very important things when it's applied to everything! :( Especially when they dissect a work to this point to try to say it is being offensive.

I guess I'm also baffled that so many people seem to really dislike Feferi, when she seemed one of the saner trolls from what we saw of her. Yes, she had flaws, but so did everyone else and that's sort of the point.

Tumblr is pretty awful. Or, well, a lot of the people on it are.

I don't like Feferi either, but that has more to do with how her typing quirk makes my eyes water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
MARTYR'S PISSCRADLE.

We'll never forget you, Fedorafreak :allears: