Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

That's not really my point. It's that she's "keeping up with" slang in ways that are unmoored from her history as a character, so it's jarring. It's clear that these reason she's saying something like that now is because it's become meme fodder now. Technically this was always the case but it wasn't as noticeable because when she was first introduced she didn't know any better what memes would be like years in the future than the audience did.

It’s kinda jarring to me too. It’s a weird mix of trying to stay current but coming off as anachronistic at the same time. There’s nothing to suggest that anything about Earth C followed a similar enough history to have the same memes or slang, so when they say something pretty rooted in our current, real life world, it doesn’t feel earned and not as creative.

That said, I definitely liked this update, but I’m also biased towards the Meat timeline anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Well, Roxy and Dirk at least grew up in a timeline where by 2020 clowns occupied the white house and the world was sliding into fascist armageddon, so it was probably pretty much like real life.

Man, fair. 😔

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

What's the significance of the planet name

Hedging a guess that it's a portmanteau of detritus (waste, gravel, debris) and delta (4th Greek letter, usually signifies change). The second bit I wasn't as sure about until Rose said "quadruply so," so I guess she's making a joke about not calling it Earth D.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Her threat to break his neck instead of chainsawing him in half is what makes it a bluff.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Welp, announcement from Hussie on Patreon confirmed that the team will continue on, but no updates until it's finished. So kind of like the epilogues, which is nice.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Hussie via Patreon posted:

Homestuck^2 is going to be completed, but the Patreon will not be charging patrons anymore. The account will be frozen and no additional patrons will be accepted, but the ones currently registered are welcome to stay and receive notifications about the future of this project if the team is inclined to post any.

The plan now is to have HS^2 finished, but without a regular update schedule. Previously saved Patreon funds will be used to privately commission the team to finish the story. It will all be posted at once when it is finished, and there will be no updates until this happens. I expect that it will take a long time to finish the story. This is because I am specifically instructing the team to work slowly.

He goes on to detail the reasons, mostly fandom abuse towards the other creators.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, it's a Tumblr link, but click it anyway.

https://irocra.tumblr.com/post/646445215035621376

Of all the characters to pick...

That poor OP doesn't know that they weirdly implied that Hussie, Terezi, and/or John is Jesus.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Bobulus posted:

The hiveswap kickstarter got an update. I'm too lazy to read it all, but it seems to be a big rant about people claiming the money was stolen by either development company or Hussie.

It's basically one big response to that effort post made on Tumblr about all the issues Hiveswap had. To summarize: the game company they contracted with took their money and made a bad prototype, they made a new studio thinking they'd get their money back, someone at the studio went ham around the same time of the freeze and that contributed to them shuttering for good, and they didn't credit the 3D artists because the assets they made weren't used. Also the hot tip employee leaking deets is a liar.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Oh, then in that case, yes, as far as I know all the Sarah Z stuff is true. I haven't actually watched her video about Hussie reaching out to her, so I don't know what exactly he said, but I've seen it talked about plenty and no one's tried to claim whatever is in there didn't happen.

To *super* paraphrase what the video was about, she was contacted by a source from What Pumpkin saying that a big portion of her video was wrong, and demanded that she take it down and upload an edited version of her video. The portion in question was the Kickstarter, where her source was that blog that was linked in this thread awhile ago. The reasoning was that this was a Bad Dude and one of the inside sources Blog Guy used was a Bitter Betty about not getting credited for their work on the game.

Hussie got involved despite not working at What Pumpkin anymore and made the situation a bit more cringe.

As far as the toblerone incident, that's exactly how it went down. The closest we got to this officially showing up in a work was the Homestuck^2 update where Roxy was trying to get John to think about gender stuff a little harder, but he wasn't picking up any of the clues she was putting down. Mind you Homestuck^2 made a pretty big deal about being "beyond canon" and "not actually canon because canon is in the eye of the beholder" or whatever BS. I think what irritates me about all of that is it feels like the fandom latched onto it super hard, some to the point of "don't you dare dead name June anymore" without anything tangible coming from the more official works for the IP: the games don't mention it, H^2 didn't (and with no updates until it's over, who knows if/when it will), and the original work and epilogue was never written with that in mind. I feel like if you're going to go that route with a character then go beyond Twitter and actually do it, your readers deserve better than scraps like this.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

That’s why I said the actual work, as Homestuck^2’s final update had John uncomfortable with masculine terms being applied to them.

I mean, I can see why it’d appear like that given HS^2’s poor pacing.

Where did that part happen? I remember he was uncomfortable with Roxy using pet names, but I interpreted as that having more to do with him being uncomfortable with overly familiar terms with an ex, not specifically a gender issue. Like I'm not saying it couldn't be read that way, nor am I saying lol John's not trans. But if the writers were trying to set up for that narrative, they were taking their absolute sweet time with it.

Cavatica fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 23, 2021

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Honestly yeah it is lovely. I don't remember whether it happened before or after the epilogues were introduced, but if I recall correctly it was somewhat around the same time as the big garbage burger Calamity/HIC backstory. So it was all pretty weird anyway.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

In a comic where a woman discusses her anxiety with having a literal dog penis that she used to secretly impregnate her lesbian friend (who is married) while two other characters laugh about it in the background, a character becoming canonically trans in the comic due to an ARG is way down on the list of poo poo That is Wrong With Homestuck.

Man I agree with this super hard, but it's pretty clear it's a trend to have this really bizarre humor about the topic that feels way too punching down for my liking.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Something was announced on the Big Day: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1610900/The_Genesis_Project/

This is what the kickstarter should have been for, tbh

Oh this looks incredibly fun! I'll have to check it out because yeah this is definitely closer to what I thought the Kickstarter was going to be.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Half serious: the full detective pony fan work is probably more canon than the epilogues, at least in the sense that it doesn't contradict the web comic as much.

In true seriousness, I think one of the things that blurred what counts as canon for me is a combination of how the comic started as a series of fan commands, how other creators were involved almost from the start and certainly towards the end, and the overall context of how many references there were to Hussie's other works.

Even if I drew the line at the web comic itself, that would be a valid reading and it would be a complete story, but it wouldn't feel as... contextually complete without at least acknowledging where some of the more out there references came from.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

The Epilogues were taking things fans wanted from Homestuck and warping them to extremes.

Candy are fluffy character-driven moments, usually conversations during downtime. It’s the stuff that leads to shipping and characters forming romantic relationships so you can see how a narrative comprised of nothing but this could get horny and weird fast.

(And yes, you can argue that relationships are actually plot-relevant. I guess you can say this is how the author applies the Candy/Meat divide to Homestuck)

One of the good things I'll say about the epilogues is that on the surface Candy was supposed to be about those character driven moments and Meat was meant to be about the plot developments that really drive the story, but around midway through each story it shifted into the opposite direction and culminated in the last chapter for each fully embracing the Meat/Candy dichotomy.

The idea behind it was great, but man did I find the execution questionable in some parts.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

rko posted:

Also I basically prefer the arms and oil being present from the beginning, now. Much like Terezi’s passwords, I thought that element of foreshadowing helped make the retcon feel less like a “welp I hosed up my story and I have to reset it” and more like an inevitable function of the big paradox loop that is Homestuck. It’s nice the archive tries to recreate the cool trick, though.

I'm not going to lie, this is a really intriguing take. I can definitely see how this could read as a big payoff to a weird quirk in the panels rather than just something happening out of nowhere.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I might've been thinking about it in simplistic terms, but I always read it as the meat route giving you the candy of all the deep character interactions and candy wound up having more and more plot coming at you fast at the expense of characters. Having the last chapter of each summed up with a prominent character eating the opposite choice (Rose eating candy in the meat timeline for example) sealed that interpretation for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I fully endorse the bespoke browser if only because it has logic built in to experience the comic as a first time user versus someone reading on repeat.