Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?

I'm happy every time this video comes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

How is everyone forgetting Robosmooch? The kiss that preceded the first major update gap. The kiss that drove everyone crazy.

And I know this conversation passed but the only problem I have with Kankri is taking perfectly fine concepts (like trigger warnings, which are good to avoid people having traumatic stress / phobic reactions to things like rape or abuse) and ONLY associating them with the bad social justice version (Tumblr users literally tagging "tw: homestuck" which basically equates "triggering" with "annoyed by"). So basically the whole concept, that was ALREADY diluted, is just kind of further ruined which kind of blows.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Nepeta!!! If only for a moment, you returned :(

I guess that means there's still some Nepetas and Equiuses kickin' around despite that one bubble blowing up

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Figures that I'd be in the minority here but boy howdy is that a stupid update that isn't funny at all!

A shame since I'd been enjoying this interlude immensely without the weird race poo poo that Tumblr was bringing up until he literally forced the discussion into the story in the most flippant and condescending way possible.

Ah yes, the top comedy has been reached.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Making all his characters white was a minor issue at worst. I like representation in media, but he made a bunch of white kids. Sure, why not, I'm not overly bothered.

But he just had to set up a multi-step baiting of the people who would DARE be saddened about a lack of representation, putting every single person under the absurd banner of social justice warriors and seemingly giving them a nod with the whole aracial characters bit. Except he's made it increasingly clear that that too was just a gag and it's just kind of insulting.

None of the problems raised bother me particularly, but rather it's the fact that he acts like a child with these stupid "rebuttals" to the vocal and harsh minority of these people addressed to the entire community of people who dare raise an issue with his comic. And the BEST part is that it will do nothing but galvanize his other fans against these people and against any sort of criticism they can level. Like how the concept of trigger warnings (which are misused by an ACTUALLY PRETTY SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE and are meant to block content that would cause an intensely averse reaction in someone) is a loving punchline to literally millions of people who don't know their actual purpose.

All these passive-aggressive or directly aggressive snipes within a story that could and has been extremely funny on its own merits that weren't completely mean-spirited.

It's just exhausting and frustrating to see him do this time and time again.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

I can't help but read this post and think that you are actually the butt end of the joke here.

How can you not see how this line of argument you're going with is reductive and childish? Tumblr isn't a monolithic entity that freaks out in unison, the vast majority are people who agree with you, and it's not unreasonable to suggest that not only not taking someone's concerns seriously but openly mocking them is a lovely thing to do?

Comic posted:

Pretty much. Especially if you think the 'trigger warning' misuse is a minority since it's not something that would come into normal conversation with people without traumatic experiences but is basically mentioned all the time on tumblr. The fact that some of it gets applied to chicken wings and hot dogs is just the peak absurdity. It gets used all the time in lieu of 'this bothers me I don't like to see it' instead of the actual 'just seeing this sent me into a panic attack or reliving my traumatic past experience and I had to throw up'.

Also Hussie has never been interested in rebutting anything he does what he likes no matter what.

Have you ever been to Tumblr because this sounds like the same strawman bullshit that everyone spews about Tumblr.

FutureSushi fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 12, 2013

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

It's funny but not in a clever way and the Tumblr-baiting is starting to get old.

This is basically how I feel about it, all in all.

I'm just kind of exhausted with Tumblr and SJWs as strawmen in general because I'm a user of Tumblr with friends who are socially conscious who raise issues in a full respectful manner but they get lumped with the people who... well...
don't.

And this wouldn't be an issue if only those people (the SJWs if you will) were targeted but instead it's always a blanket statement that targets anyone who would raise an issue more often than not. But like, with Kankri I could at least see the intent (despite still being annoyed at Hussie turning trigger warnings into a punchline) but here it feels more like the aracial thing was an appeasement he never really intended to commit to.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

So he replaced the joke.

I like this one better it's cute.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

It is stunningly beautiful to see him lay into people like this.

Also oh hey I've been a goon for just over two years today that's fun. I joined for this thread and I rarely venture outside it!

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Laying someone out can totally just be taking them down a few pegs with reason. The more satisfying kind, I'd say.

Or perhaps I'm not using the right term but nevertheless it's great to see the people who've had a superiority complex since the Beforus trolls were introduced getting a little talking down done to them.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

I just watched it in horror for about 15 minutes and then laughed.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone :allears:

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Glad to be back! Almost all my friends who started Homestuck with me don't like it anymore, you guys are all I've got now apparently!!

Hussie's glitch aesthetics will never cease to amaze me. I can only hope this comic is going to go full Earthbound on us. Maybe a little bit of Kid Radd-esque escape from the known multiverse poo poo too.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Hahahahaha so the tumblr outrage brigade is now flipping its collective poo poo over the face that ARquiussprite said that girls have boobs. Apparently this is a sign that Hussie is and I quote "a cissexist piece of poo poo". :allears:

God there is such a difference between being cisnormative and being cissexist just please pick your battles better, friends.

quote:

ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about your interests
ARQUIUSPRITE: Like dairy
ARQUIUSPRITE: Livestock
ARQUIUSPRITE: Fine art
ARQUIUSPRITE: And muscles
DIRK: Those are your interests.
ARQUIUSPRITE: Good point
ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about my interests

This is such a great exchange. Sometimes I forget I'm not just reading out of habit and obligation but that I genuinely love this weird-rear end comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

What in god's hell have I walked in on?

I just wanted to post a bit of a rumination I was having. I'm not going to say the story got WORSE upon the trolls introduction, but do you all feel me that the story without the bloat of literally multiple dozens of characters might have been more fun? Like after a while checking this thread was the only way I was even keeping up with what was going on and though that stopped once the updates slowed down there was just SO many plot threads it seemed a bit ridiculous.

Like without some or all of the trolls there are some delightful characters we'd miss out on and that would be a drat shame but even though Hussie's ambitions seem to be pointing upwards for his post-Homestuck project (god help us all) I really hope his next project will involve some kind of

planning

or editor

Maybe the people who he does the books with? Who knows.

Anyway I assumed this thread would be closed with this massive hiatus. Like I walk in here and there's poo poo all over the walls and no one thought to lock us monkeys out?