Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Zutaten posted:

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, I don't think anyone did, but if you mouse over and click the little coloured "act dots" on the Play button screen of [S] Cascade, you can jump to the different parts of the animation. Kind of handy if you just wanted to rewatch a specific segment.

The thing I like about the scene selection is that I'm pretty sure they indicate what universe the scenes take place in. The red dots correspond to scenes in the kid's session, the blue to the troll's session, the green to the felt, and the white to Doc Scratch/Jade breaking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
I just realized that the flash contained a shot that was actually the cover of Homestuck Vol. 7.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Some Strange Flea posted:

God dammit, I knew I would regret deleting it. I mean it only went to the recycle bin but it still feels bad. Not only is the snippet very quiet it is also backwards and pretty rockin'!

There was a tiny update but it may actually be kind of significant in a strange meta sort of manner. A set of burnt up red curtains closed in the flash, followed by a normal set of red curtains. Which means the burnt curtains are... what? And where are the blue curtains?!

I'm telling you, some sort of drapefuckery is about to go down just you wait.

The burnt curtains were closing over the fourth wall, and the non-burnt curtains were closing over the fifth wall? Or an additional fourth wall.

There's a lot of walls, is what I'm saying.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Cabbit posted:

The triumphant of return of Eridan, presumably with somewhat less of a dickhead quotient. I could get behind that.

"i wwear a fez noww fezzes are cool"

Well, his consorts are angels.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

OmegaZultan posted:

Was the shot of the Trolls seeing the green sun drawn by that awesome person who did fanart of the trolls as 50's greasers? Art seemed very similar. I also really liked it cause they actually looked like kids in the shot.

That was probably my favorite shot of the whole flash, even though it was a fairly undramatic one.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Okay, so far in these recaps Andrew has pointed out that Lord English:

-is basically a pimp
-is associated with the kids' memories somehow
-is a master of time

D... Dave? :ohdear:

(still pretty sure LE is his own independent character and not something that an existing character "becomes" though)

I still think it's Hussie.

Or the collective audience of MSPA.

I just feel like it'd be unfulfilling for LE to be some guy we've never met before. Unless -

it's fedorafreak.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
It's really hard for me to think of just one thing that is memorable about Homestuck, because there's a lot of little things that I love.

The moment that really stands out for me from the earlier acts, that cemented my love for Homestuck, is the whole section with WV (:smith:) starting with WV: Consume Several Cans

quote:

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time. You've got a city to govern with a carapaced fist!

My favorite pesterlogs are probably all the ridiculous Dave and Terezi conversations, though my heart belongs to this one in particular.

quote:

TG: ok so whats the plan
GC: 1 THOUGHT YOU WOULD N3V3R 4SK
GC: TH3R3 4R3 SO M4NY PL4NS
GC: W3 4R3 GO1NG TO B3 SO BUSY D4V3, YOU H4V3 NO 1D34
TG: thats cool
TG: but whats the answer that doesnt have anything to do with meaningless bullshit
GC: 1SNT 1T OBV1OUS?
GC: NOW TH4T W3 4R3 4 T34M D4V3
GC: YOU 4ND M3
GC: 1T 1S T1M3
TG: time
TG: for
GC: T1M3
TG: for
TG: come on
GC: FOR............
TG: ......
TG: ...........
GC: .............................
GC: FOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..............
TG: god dammit
GC: 4 MOTH3R FUCK1NG D4NC3 P4RTY!!!!!!! >:O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GC: http://tinyurl.com/OMGD4NC3P4RTY
TG: whoa

But in the end: probably Karkat. Karkat is simply the best character ever, he is Troll Jegus, he hates himself so much, he has lovely taste in movies, and he cares so much about everyone, but he's repressed that under layers of sarcasm and insults. It's hard to be Karkat. It's hard, and no one understands. In particular:

quote:

PCG: THAT'S THE END OF HOW EVERYTHING'S MY FAULT COMPLETELY, AND I'M GARBAGE.
PCG: HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT JADE! NOT THAT YOU SEEM TO RECALL THIS MEMO EVEN EXISTS.
PCG: IF YOU SEE KANAYA IN DEATHBUBBLE HELL, PLEASE TELL HER I'M SORRY I LET HER DOWN.
PCG: AND IF YOU SEE SOLLUX WANDERING AROUND TOO, LET HIM KNOW HOW ASHAMED I AM I DITCHED HIM LIKE A COWARD BECAUSE I HEARD A HORN GO HONK.

:smith: :smith: :smith:

Also how he has irredeemably corrupted Jade:

quote:

GG: I SAID PASSWORD FUCKASS!!!!!
GA: Wow
GG: whoops sorry
GG: ive been having too many password arguments with karkat i guess :p
GA: I Still Dont Understand The Password Thing

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Snollygoster posted:

Whoooa, I just went to Bandcamp and checked out the track art for that song because of this post. It's really good!

Oh wow, I checked it out, too. That's pretty gorgeous, I love the whole stained glass thing.

Also, Level Slide, you are insane and I salute you.

Kit Walker posted:

And Jaspers and Grandpa Harley

Do you mean the continuous and extremely pressing mystery of how exactly Jaspers died?

I feel like there are more mysteries right now, or at least, questions to be answered (what went down during the Ancestor's session? Is there an eight session game out there? What about the satellite around the pink moon? etc etc) though I'll concede that there's not many I can think of off the top of my head that are extremely plot important, except - 1. Is Gamzee still evil/crazy? Because he was looking kind of whacked out in [S] Cascade. 2. Lil' Cal and, most importantly, 3. the continuing saga of fedorafreak.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
I'm really glad that we're getting the reveal on Lord English now, instead of right before the actual climactic battle (though that's me assuming some things about what Act 6 is going to be like.)

I like how this works. I was afraid that Lord English would be A. someone we'd never seen before and B. completely nonthreatening. Of course, he's not as scary as we'd imagine, because there's been nearly a year of buildup for the reveal, and nothing's as scary as what your brain fills in by itself. But I found Lord English legitimately unsettling, I may or may not have jumped a little when there was the bit with the skull.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I think a plain Big Cal would have been scarier for me, but maybe that would have been a little too on the nose.

Yeah, I don't think we're ready for a Big Cal. I don't think the world is ready.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Well, not yet. :v:

Assume everything is relevant to the plot until proven otherwise.

Because you just never know.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm getting the vibe that these four might all be groomed by villainous characters. Jane by the Empress, Jake by LE, and Bro by Cal (if you count Cal as sentient and villainous). Wouldn't be surprised if Mom is a Doc Scratch prisoner.

I really want this to be the case.

That would honestly be a lot more interesting than them just proceeding through the game as normal. Instead of our kids going immediately to a big boss battle with Lord English, first they have to fight their alternate universe guardians, who've been raised by batterwitches/evil empresses/deranged puppets/universe consumers/possibly also horrorterrors? (because that would be sort of cool).

Nothing like having to kill your alternate universe parents!

KIDS AND FUN!

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Well what do you expect when one of the new characters shares his her surname with the biggest villain in the whole comic?

And another shares a last name with Lord English?

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Fortis posted:

I clicked on Jake and now I'm just going to let Hussie do his thing back and forth down there. 'Panel not done yet' messages are quickly becoming one of my favorite things about homestuck. :allears:

I will never get tired of dancing Hussie.

(also thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't even thought to click on Jake yet)

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Nilbop posted:

People make fantrolls?

There aren't even anymore Zodiac signs left. This just sounds like the worst thing ever.

It is.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

1--Of course he is. He says as much on his Tumblr.

2--Me too. Y'all know that I was pretty apprehensive about this whole "new kids" thing, but this seems much better than what I was expecting.

I miss Karkat already, though.

Yeah, I'm liking the new kids a lot more than I thought I would, but I still hope we get back to the kids and the trolls (especially Karkat, because He Is The Best) soon.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
New update.

Post scratch Rose dressed her bunny up like a wizard and then gave it to her daughter. :3:

Also, Bro's is totally a smuppet. Poor Jane.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Walliard posted:

The wording's a little vague as to whether it was made by Rose or "Mom". I'm thinking it's the latter.

quote:

The other one used to belong to your friend's MOM, and she dressed it as a wizard, which was also unapologetically more representative of her interests than yours.

But yeah, it's unclear whether it got dressed up by RoseMom or scratchMom (oh man we really need a new name for her), but probably the latter. Which is weird, because I thought she was into science?

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know why you guys are worried, everything's going to be OBEY just fine.

It's not like The Condesce's ship was in one of the ads or anything! Or like one of the new characters has a helmet that's the shape of the skull of the main villain! Everything is just hunky-dory in post scratch land.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

There are some good points in the above posts about changing focus, though. During Hivebent, people did get frustrated that the focus had shifted on to the trolls and the act seemed to drag on a little. There was talk about how the kids were being forgotten and how even when we got back to the kids that they'd be sharing a lot of the stage with the trolls now.

Then when Act 5 part 2 started and we had horrorstuck where the trolls were getting killed, there were also some complaints that after having a whole sub-act dedicated to the trolls the kid still weren't getting the attention they deserved, with the trolls collectively taking on the importance of main characters.

Now however the troll cast has been trimmed down, and being physically close to the kids probably means their plot significance is also going to go down since the kids are more powerful and more central characters likely to overshadow the trolls in their scenes.

And now we have a new set of characters being introduced much as we had with Act 5 part 1, so understandably if you liked the trolls it'd be worrying to think that the main kids are going to remain the main characters and the reset kid guardians are going to be the shiny new secondary character group, leaving the trolls on as background characters.

Remember the exiles? They came in before the trolls, and were the more significant secondary character group after the kids for some time. The Troll act eclipsed them, however, and ultimately they dwindled in importance and screen-time. A similar thing might happen here.

I honestly feel like Hussie's invested too much time and effort into the trolls to just push them off to the side to the point where they have the same amount of screentime as the exiles do. The exiles, while wonderful and interesting, aren't nearly as fleshed out, as complex of characters, as the remaining trolls are. If anything, the fact that Hussie culled over half the trolls makes me think they'll have some sort of parity with the kids as Act 6 continues, since now there can be a tighter focus on a small group of trolls, instead of trying to juggle twelve. Seriously, trimming down the cast leads me to the exact opposite conclusion.

Man, this must be exactly what it felt like to go through Hivebent.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Starmaker posted:

I'm really glad I got into MSPA back when PS was still going. I remember waiting a month or whatever for Homestuck to come out and being mildly perplexed by the rather substantial shift in setting. I also remember the MSPA forums filled with complaints about how Homestuck was slow and people responding that it couldn't possibly become as epic as PS (heh) without a slow build-up first, and to just be patient.

No one had any idea what Homestuck would end up being back then. It's kinda funny to think about.

I hope in however many years everyone looks back at the beginning of whatever Hussie's starting next in the same way.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
So maybe this says more about me than it does about the pesterlog, but that whole conversation seemed a little more sinister and untruthful than anyone else seems to think. I don't know why, it's just all together too cheery, like everything has been post!scratch so far. I'm just not ready to label UU as a positive trustworthy source of information quite yet.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
So am I the last person to notice that there's a song on Homestuck Vol. 6 called Umbral Ultimatum?

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Ice_Mallet posted:

What could have possibly given you that idea?

You know, the oddest thing about this is that in real life Betty Crocker didn't make the Betty Crocker company -the name was made up.

How much more treachery must we be forced to endure from the batterwitch?

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Guy Fieri, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

This is the darkest timeline.

But next up, Mom Lalonde!

Also, what is she supposed to be looking at out the window? It can't be Dad, she looks sort of shocked.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

Heyyy... wasn't Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff inspired by a conversation Dave had with Terezi? How did the Scratch Dave come to the same idea? It's not like the 'descendent' universes that are influenced by their creators, Scratches just reset and switch things up. So where'd he get the idea?

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is a multiversal constant.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

TG: like by wich i mean not to say hur hur im hottest poo poo haxxor bitch you ever knew
TG: as deadlay to the corporate grid rear end she is beatuiful
TG: which i AM but
TG: what i mean is poo poo wasnt even guarded
TG: it was just
TG: some files
TG: that were there
TG: unsecured
TG: and i took them
TG: jacked them right offa that intraweb telematrice
TG: then applied lipstick
TG: femme fatale style
TG: and was like poo poo yes i ALL KINDS of know how to use my web browser to download serveral files

This chatlog was sort of perfect in every way.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

Guys why does Mom have Dave's abbreviation? [TG] as opposed to [TT]? I mean, Dave and Rose are brother and sister right? Could that mean that they got genetically swapped guardians? Like mom ia actually bro and bro is mom? :tinfoil:
Fake edit: this is the dumbest thing I have ever

It's because Mom is Dave in spirit. Well, Dave if he was wasted.

Which I hope means that Bro is going to be Rose-esque, because I just have no idea what that would look like.

But Bro and Mom were, in the Sburb universe, Rose and Dave's mother and father, so there's no real reason why post scratch Mom couldn't have Dave's abbreviation.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Ice_Mallet posted:

I can't even imagine how beautiful a chatlog like that will be. It's brilliance would be beyond human comprehension.

Hussie knows he can never write such a thing, because the laws of physics would just break down under the weight of all the snark.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Sepherothic posted:

Countdown to Jake booty shorts thigh holster fanart...

Edit: Well that was fast
http://ib.skaia.net/post/view/25373

I think it took literally five minutes before some popped up on tumblr.

But yeah, seconding you, pumpinglemma, I think the skull motif might link back to Lord English being Skipper Plumbthroat.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I just came here to say....

I loving love the auto-responder.

I almost don't want anybody to actually be able to talk to Bro at all, they just keep getting the auto-responder.

And yes I have said this twice now, it is a statement that deserves being said twice now.

It really is.

quote:

TT: It seems there is a 76.10395784% chance you are pussying out on me. Are you pussying out on me, Jake?

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Oh no John's arm. : (

I wonder if this means that if (okay, when, seriously that's going to happen, right?) we'll have the same one arm motif that there was in the kid's session. Except it was the other arm?

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

KoB posted:

Of course! Bro will prototype "himself" (glasses), Mom will prototype Mutini, Jake himself I guess.

Yeah, who would Jake prototype? Assuming he doesn't die?

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
But Crabdad is a nice guy everybody, everything will be fine.

So was it Jake who was appearifying the pumpkins from Jade's island way back when? I know that WV did too, but it seems like Jake can appearify things from the last 'verse.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

KoB posted:

Its mainly a joke about all of the previous MSPaint Adventures.

Yeah, I know that, but also, since that's how he got the bunny, I thought it might be more.

Or it could just be a running gag.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
I don't think I can take another death so soon.

Jake, you best not hurt Crabdad.

Although, this crabdad is way, way bigger than Karkat's - if you look at when Karkat and his lusus are about to strife, and now, Crabdad is only maybe twice or three times as big as Karkat, and this guy is towering over Jake.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Hussie just opened his askbox.

quote:

Opening qbox again for a couple minutes.

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/ask

This time I will answer the last X questions submitted, no matter how good or bad or dumb or ridiculous they are. It could be the last 5 or the last 50.

Now is your chance to unburden yourself of your curiosity on obscure points of troll sexuality. There is a greater than zero statistical probability that I will respond with some sort of joke.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Aaaaand he just closed it again.

Apparently took only five minutes to get over six hundred questions loving hell.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Whoops, it looks like thirty bucks just flew out of my pocket. Wonder where that went.

Though I am awfully curious as to when we're getting our hands on these. Am I stupid and it's indicated somewhere?

(I am probably stupid.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Hahaha okay what the gently caress.

The Fucky posted:

That sure was a short act.

I was wondering if that meant that the alpha game would have the same sort of act progression as the beta? Since this ends around the same time beta act one ended?

But that would be a lot more homestuck. That would be a long act six.