Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

While I'm happy there's more homestuck I can't get over how unbelievably retarded it is to throw bonus content on a service that deletes your post after 24 hours and doesn't send notifications to users about individual stories being posted to.

Unless you're actively checking in on the community for this webcomic that officially finished in April and just had its epilogue posted last week or are just fairly active on snapchat, there's no way to know this is going on. Hopefully that guy keeps that tumblr updated for any possible future posts because I'm sure I'll end up forgetting/missing at least a few future ones and that'll probably be the only way to actually see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Quality of the material aside, this material on snapchat is like, actual canon homestuck, right? Like, even if Hussie isn't scripting this, the fact that it's linked on the main page means that as a fan of homestuck I should be considering this as extra bonus material that's canon to the story?

I just want to make sure because I was willing to accept that it might go up on the main site when the first snaps started dropping, but we just cleared the eight month mark of the comic's end and the two month release of the epilogue and there's still no way to know any of this is happening unless you're checking snapchat every day without fail or somehow discovered the person writing these on twitter or found the Tumblr documenting them.

Like, this isn't just cute quick flashes into their lives post ending anymore, stuff like people not liking Jane and there being multiple other attacks on her life is new legit stuff that's actually interesting and and there's no way to know about it, anything else that might happen, or even when this might update ever again without following a non-advertised person's Twitter and also also they permanently auto delete after 24 hours and there's no way to read them after that besides a non-official Tumblr.

None of my friends who like homestuck even knew this was going on and I almost wouldn't have known myself if I didn't occasionally skip to the end of this thread to see if anything new happened with the game. You can't even follow the rule of thumb of checking on holidays because even if the author keeps updating throughout the next couple days if you were to try to check back in on Christmas day you'd miss the entire beginning because it'd be gone.

I guess what's got me so frustrated is just...who is the intended audience here? Why would anyone choose to do this on a platform where content is so short lived? If this is intended to be actual post mortem content then why have no other way to view it when it can drop without any notification in the app and only stay up for 24 hours? If it's not, why the gently caress is the account called "mspaofficial"and linked on the main page?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The people desperate for Homestuck to remain relevant after the botched final arc/people eagerly waiting for the Homestuck video game to come out. It feels like it's mostly to remind the people they want to sell the game to that Homestuck totally still exists and it'll totally be good again, you guys!

But if that was the goal, there should have been like constant updates on the main site or even Hussie's Twitter or something to drum up interest. I didn't like the ending but if other people did, whatever. No matter what side you're on a bunch of updates don't matter if you can't loving view them unless you're tuned into fandoms of comics that officially ended months ago.

I've read a bunch of webcomics over the years and the moment a webcomic "ends" that's basically my cue to never check up on it again until like a year or two later if I decide to reread it unless I'm specifically waiting for something. Even in the case of the later, I, like I'd assume most people, just take a quick glance at the main page to see if there's any news (usually about a book or new comic or something) and there's kind of nothing about these updates there! And because of how short things last, chances are if you were to look at the news for homestuck and check posts on Snapchat you're far more likely to see nothing and assume it's abandoned. Most sites that advertise Snapchat content update multiple times a day, explicitly to avoid this exact issue!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Freak Futanari posted:

also, i want to apologize for my off-hand hiveswap diss about it releasing at the same time as better games, accidentally causing a derail,

You've never cared about derailing the thread before, why start now?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Real talk, if you're itching for the same kind of "slowly figuring out how the story's world works" that Problem Sleuth/early Homestuck had in a story that also happens to be driven by reader suggestions, check out Awful Hospital. The best description I can really give without spoiling anything is that it's a story about a grey green lady looking for her son, who's sick", which is an understatement on the level of "homestuck is a story about kids and fun". It's way more creepy and horror story-ish in tone than homestuck though, so there's that, but it never goes beyond something you'd expect out of a creepy adventure game.

There's a section in the middle where it really drags because the author was experimenting and it turned into a mini D&D module, but it all comes back together. The author dropped all the stuff that didn't work with it afterwards and the story gets really good again.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Plom Bar posted:

You can safely skip to strip 100 and pick up any meaningful details you missed along the way.

What the gently caress?

Don't do this. Either read the whole thing or don't do it at all, don't skip directly to the big twist without any build up, you're missing like a bunch of setup and the entire reason people recommend the comic so much. No one who absolutely hates the beginning of the comic is going to enjoy the rest of it anyway.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The comic's sense of humor is the exact same after strip 100 as it was before. If you didn't like it before, you aren't going to like it after because it's exactly as juvenile and crass as it used to be but with more story behind it.

Like, if you don't like a story, just don't read it instead of skipping chunks of it and recommending people don't bother with it so the entire impact of the reveal is completely wasted and they miss a bunch of other stuff.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tunicate posted:

"No, no, it gets better after the first hundred pages, trust me."

"Why did you read those first hundred pages if you didn't like it???"

People are saying that after 100 page mark, there is a reveal that turned the comic for them from "this is okay but I don't really see the hype" to "this is unironically pretty good" you dense moron

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Android Blues posted:

That's not an answer but also your idea that skipping around in sequential fiction is an act of disrespect to some cosmic fiction god is really funny.

I mean, I like Homestuck a lot, but if someone did that, I wouldn't be wringing my hands about what a sin they'd done to The Fiction. People enjoy media in different ways.

I also wouldn't skip around in something that I thought had genuine artistic merit. But I don't think large parts of the first segment of It Hurts really do. Nor are they super necessary for "buildup" or whatever, it's not exactly a delicately woven matrix of plot threads and deep character moments in the first hundred.

Oh gently caress off

You don't get to claim someone else is talking about some imaginary god of fiction, decide which things have "artistic merit" and then play victim and say the other person's being aggressive when they get frustrated with you

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Daius posted:

It was no more Gob's authorial intent that the first 100 pages of It Hurts are garbage before getting much better than it was Hussie's authorial intent that Act 6 of Homestuck be garbage

People can enjoy media however they want even if it means skipping parts they are not enjoying and this is true for every single mediun

Yeah sure that's exactly the argument I was making, and totally not that the first 100 strips act as essentially a longform setup that made the impact of page 100 even better while establishing a few plot threads to be called back on, because even though the writing improves the humor stays largely the same so you'd have been reading something you didn't like a lot of at that point.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ArfJason posted:

dirk had some of the most interesting problems and ideas explored imo

Not exactly a high bar to clear out of the alpha kids when the other choices are "is a teenage girl who likes a boy", "is a teenage girl who likes a boy but solves her issues through rampant alcoholism", and "is a teenage boy that is tired of everyone hitting on him"

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ArfJason posted:

i didnt mean solely in the context of the alpha kids, i meant as in the whole comic in general

Oh, whoops.

Given the sheer number of characters, is it really that much higher a bar to clear though? You don't even have to take the Hussie avatar thing into account here, there's just so many characters with plot threads that go nowhere that the few that do get explored stand out a lot in comparison. I mean I like Dirk's arcs, but I'm not sure if it's because it was actually good or if I was just starved for character development at the time.

Given how long homestuck is I'm really not inclined to go back and reread it to see how it holds up archivally. Plus all the animations are flash and don't work on mobile devices without going out of your way, so...

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:cripes:

Maybe I will go back and reread homestuck one last time at some point. I'd completely forgotten about that entire part of Dirk's arc, it's just been so long i was just remembering the Jake stuff as all of it. I know my recent posts here might just be bitching about it but I unironically enjoyed homestuck during its run, Hussie has a certain charm in writing characters that's really pleasant to read. Dude still needs an editor though

If nothing else, it'll be fun to re-experience the music again. I've got a weakness for cheesy chiptunes and it's one of the main reasons I started reading this comic in the first place.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, see, if Hussie had just taken the crew that made the walkabouts and just made another one, only larger, then they might have managed to actually release a decent game before Homestuck ended. Basically like Undertale only a little larger in scope.

Lmao it never clicked with me before that this entire Kickstarter was essentially for a walkaround

No wonder they went all out and likely way out of scope for what they wanted the project to be, they were probably going to make something way simpler initially and were flabbergasted by how much money people started throwing at them

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Google put an article from kotaku in my newsstand app gushing about what Homestuck is.

Despite my absolute distain for that site, it gave me a warm :unsmith: feeling. I don't care if the best thing people can say about this game is that it's average or not actively bad, I'm kinda happy this dumb gay comic is notable again for a brief moment. Good and bad, I followed this stupid thing for years and have a bunch of good memories of the journey.

Homestuck was good, y'all. It's over, but it was fun. :unsmith:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Here's a link to the comic since nobody posted it for some reason.

Previous comic is a clean version so you can read the text properly

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I always kinda liked Eridan because even though he was a piece of poo poo, he wasn’t really an intentional piece of poo poo. He just seemed like a product of his environment, some rich kid that always had everything handed to him and was increasingly baffled when things in the real world didn’t turn out the way he wanted. He was refreshingly straightforward in a comic like this where every other character is steeping in drama, and at least he eventually managed to pull his head out of his own rear end in a top hat.

Plus, dude spent his entire session powerleveling by murdering angels which is metal as hell

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

"I'm a spider so what" is a comic based on a light novel currently being posted in the bad webcomics thread and it's sort of like that.

Antisocial girl is reincarnated as a low level monster in an RPG dungeon. Constantly has to figure out what stats and skills to upgrade and makes mistakes and causes problems. Reminds me of Homestuck acts 1-4 so far.

This is basically every web novel. Check the thread in adrtw if you're curious, but having read a couple they loving love that concept and repeat it to the point of absurdity. It's an entire genre.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ArfJason posted:

the thing with hussie no longer choosing submissions was because eventually he got such a volume that the commands would cover practically every possible action, and choosing the one he liked most was almost the same to just writing it out himself but with wading through a trillion suggestions.

I think this is just a limitation of the submission driven medium, tbh. I've meant to make a thread for these for a while but life kept getting in the way, I'll try to get it done soon.

For example while trying to scratch that itch homestuck gave me of not really understanding the rules the world works on I stumbled across Ruby Quest, Nan Quest, Awful Hospital, and Prequel. While I'd recommend the first three if you're into more horror themed reader driven comics (I think the first two links are right, I'm on mobile so checking is a bit difficult (also read Awful Hospital dammit)), a common thing I've noticed is that when a reader driven comic gets too popular you get exactly what you described. Either the comic has to limit the available options like prequel where available stuff vaguely leads towards where the author wants or the author gets accused of railroading towards a certain direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Dave Strider would've been a SoundCloud rapper today

Remember when SoundCloud was in danger of going down not too long ago?

There’s no way Hussie would have missed the opportunity to go all in on that.