Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I read through the entirety of Homestuck during the beginning of the hiatus, so this is a very exciting time for me. I have known nothing but bitter Homestuck famine.

That said, as a new reader, I'm very surprised that so many people say things like "the beginning is boring and confusing but it gets better" to new readers. The beginning was awesome! I probably never would have bothered with it if it weren't for all the adventure game/growing-up-on-the-internet jokes, and probably never would have been able to convince anyone else to read it either. I guess nowadays people mostly get into it for the trolls and weird plot poo poo though?

Anyway, I too am mostly looking forward to Lord English being revealed (hopefully). Though after the fanart thread, I'm worried nothing will make me happy now that I've him as Mr Resetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
One thing I still don't get is why killing Snowman is supposed to end the world or something. Is she the trolls' equivalent of Bilious Slick? If that's the case, why? I don't think this has ever been explained.

Other than that, holy poo poo. What is the Tumor? It appears to have both the troll and kid universes in it... so did they just destroy those universes in creating the Green Sun? Uggghhh I need some dialogue and crap I'm dying here.

Also Jade is so awesome I can't even believe it.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I'll seed that torrent as long as I'm able tonight!

creationist believer posted:

Because this, this and Scratch needing the universe to end to summon his master and asking Slick to kill Snowman to summon his master.

I did read remember that part of the Midnight Crew intermission but I completely forgot she was 'given a new purpose', so it never really made sense how it happened. That makes much more sense now, thanks.

And man, every time I re-watch it I get more sad about WV. He was my favourite exile...

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Starmaker posted:

This is my theory. Dad is the one constant across all universes.

Also, I'm not sure if this has come up yet but how did Dave and Rose end up wherever it was they were (I assume the same place as the trolls). I mean their bodies and beds were incinerated, where would they even spawn? Why there? Did Jade teleport them there? Did Dave do it? Aradia? That's the only part I don't understand yet.

Also when can we stop using spoilers no one will be reading this who didn't watch the flash

Dave and Rose created the Green Sun, which is where the trolls were waiting for them. They didn't move so far as I can tell, time just isn't behaving properly, since the Green Sun exists outside regular time. Their beds don't need to be physically present after they died on them, I mean Aradia's would have been destroyed with Derse as well and she resurrected just fine.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Roger Explosion posted:

You know what rocks about this? Postwoman versus dog.

Hussie thinks of everything, goddamn.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
A bit late to the party, but I really don't think Aradia is evil. She's just very fatalistic; her saying "the master we serve demands it" could just mean that she thinks everyone serves English in the end, whether they want to or not. It'd fit her character. Or maybe she does really serve English, but I'd think there would be more hints before now. Aradiabot was pissed when they others started trolling the kids because that's the source of all their problems, that doesn't seem like someone who wanted all this to happen.

Even if she is a bad guy, though, I really really doubt Dave and Rose are. I mean, if just coming from the Green Sun makes you evil, Bec -- and, therefore, Jadesprite and dog tier too probably -- would be evil. If Jade can have the powers of a first guardian without being evil, I'd bet Rose and Dave could aswell.

The horrorterrors though... I'm still not sure about them. Did they knowingly or accidentally create the Green Sun? That'll make a big difference in their motivations.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I'd be smirking too if I just became a god.

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, I doubt Rose and Dave have anything to do with Lord English. They were covered in that green stuff because they were just inside the Green Sun.

I know, but quite a few people seemed to think that coming out of the Green Sun would make them evil. I disagree though.

RedMagus posted:

Basically, they know they're not going to be the big players in this game, but without them there's no chance of winning.

tl;dr: It's the Light & Dark duality stupid!

I really like this theory. It plays so well into everyone's personalities and roles in the game, it's basically perfect. :3:

Though I do think we'll be seeing more of the troll Dersites. And Vriska was a Prospit dreamer and she's dead, which also doesn't seem right (sadly, I hated Vriska). I expect dream bubble shenanigans will come into play somehow.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I thought it was pretty specifically stated that the two ways to achieve god tier are to die on your planet's quest bed or Derse/Prospit's quest bed? I might be remembering incorrectly, but I thought that was stated/speculated by the characters. Of course, they could be wrong or someone could be lying. If we assume they were wrong/lying, we've only seen people achieve god tier one way: die on your quest bed. (Or be placed there after death, I suppose Jade is kind of ambiguous -- too bad there are no quest beds on the troll meteor.)

VV Dave and Rose were standing on their quest beds. Remember the look they gave each other when they found their beds in the middle of the moon, like "what the hell are these doing here?" VV

Idunn fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 26, 2011

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Favourite part challenge? Sure I'll play along.

My favourite part is Dave. I know that isn't a scene or anything, but when this is all over, he's probably what I'm going to remember the most. Every scene he is in is awesome, and every chatlog with him is hilarious. Karkat's pretty great too, and when I was reading Hivebent I was prepared to make him my new favourite character, but then when we get back to the kids I was hit by how awesome Dave is again. His interactions with the other kids, especially Rose, really remind me of some of the crap me and my friends used to do when we were teenagers (and to a certain extent continue to do).

There are so many great chatlogs with Dave that have already been mentioned (the one with Tavros, the puppet prostate one), and while those two are great, this one is probably my favourite:

quote:

CTG: i dunno man doesnt sound like you really got our interests in mind here
CTG: you just sound kinda bitter
CTG: did one of the human ladies reject you
?CG: OF COURSE NOT.
CTG: how did it go did you stand in a quadrant like you were playing four square
CTG: holding a bucket full of flowers or slime or whatever and jade was like no thanks bro
CTG: is that how it went down
?CG: YES, YOU FIGURED IT OUT! YOU ARE A SAVANT OF XENOBIOLOGY DAVE AND I SALUTE YOU WITH ONE OF MY MANY INTERGALACTIC SPACE TENDRILS
?CG: (THAT'S FAKE, I MADE THAT UP TO gently caress WITH YOU)
CTG: or maybe it was a guy who rejected you
?CG: gently caress OFF.
CTG: haha wow bingo
CTG: see how i look right now thats a poker face might want to take some notes
?CG: I SEE NOTHING BUT A COWARD BEHIND DARK EYEWEAR CLEARLY DESIGNED FOR WOMEN AND A PAIR OF IMPUDENT LIPS PURSED SO TIGHT IT'LL SOUND LIKE AIR SQUEALING OUT OF A BALLOON WHEN I PUNCH YOU IN THE GUT.
CTG: oh god stop talking about my lips thats the second time
CTG: ok youre clearly gay and youve probably got some issues about it dude
CTG: john just a heads up in the future i think youre gonna spurn one of his awkward advances
CEB: uh oh!

As for easymode, even though none of the characters involved were my favourites, I really loved [S] Make her pay. Something about the way the art and music lined up in the first half was really memorable and great. The second half was pretty great for the simple reason of Vriska getting her rear end kicked, but the first half was just wow.

Idunn fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 30, 2011

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Well that wasn't what I was expecting out of that intermission.

I really like the creepy Li'l Cal-influenced skull design but English's actual body is kinda boring and disappointing. I don't know what I expected from English, but he's so... generic bad guy monster. I think the skull makes up for it though.

Otherwise pretty sweet to see why exactly Doc Scratch had to die, other than the obvious universe ending bit.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Foreshadowing :psyduck:

quote:

t1CK t0ck 8r8k H34DS honk HONK

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
The chatlogs may be the best part but that doesn't mean every single chatlog is 100% pure solid gold or that everyone will care about the characters in every log. When I re-read bits for whatever reason I always skip Karkat arguing with himself because it was mostly just annoying, and Karkat is one of my favourite characters. I don't think I've ever read a Vriska log more than once either. Most of the logs I don't like, personally, are extremely long and never seem to go anywhere. If they're long but funny all the way through, it doesn't seem so bad, but that isn't always the case.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It wasn't Hivebent, it was Hussie's intrusion into the comic to moan about poo poo I didn't care about. I wanted to read about the characters, not the author.

I agree with this, fwiw. I hate the author-avatar and the fact that his intrusions get longer and longer every time he shows up is really loving annoying.

The fact that they're only a few pages doesn't mean the criticism isn't valid, it just means I'm willing to overlook things I don't like because I enjoy the comic as a whole.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
With Jane being named Crocker I don't think the kids are the new guardians. Or, more correctly, I don't think John and Jade are. With SBAHJ The Movie coming out, and all the creepy cats, I think Rose and Dave are present post-scratch but John and Jade aren't, since they went through the fourth wall and escaped being scratched. Of course that begs the question of how Rose and Dave got into the session when they were outside of it in the Furthest Ring, but my guess would be 'shenanigans'.

This would also call back to John and Jade's childhoods quite nicely. Rose and Dave were raised by their proper guardians, while John and Jade were not.

I'm curious about whether or not Rose or Dave remember their past lives though! I hope so.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
It would be pretty sweet if the update schedule picked up after today, but I'm not holding my breath.

loquacius posted:

Well, don't we know for a fact that J's grandma at least is some instance of Jade? He refers to her by name. So either John and Jade BECAME the guardians, or the scratched session made new versions of them.

But if she's his guardian, why would he be her penpal as well? Unless he knows that he's talking to her in the past/in an alternate universe, it makes more sense if he just thinks she lives far away. I can't recall him actually giving away how much he knew about time shenanigans, other than that he knew Jade could see the future. Who knows?

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

loquacius posted:

No, we know she's his grandma too, that's from this page. Remember? Pink wwigglers comin out a Jade's owwn personal torso making Eridan's fins curl in distaste?

That doesn't really prove anything though. Jade thought Grandpa was her Grandpa and he technically wasn't. All that page proves is what we already knew -- he says he's her grandson. That doesn't mean she's in the post-scratch universe, or that she isn't, or anything else really.

Basically what I'm getting at is it doesn't make sense to be your own grandmother's penpal if she lives with you unless a) you know something about the Scratch, b) he thinks he's talking to her in the past, or c) none of the above -- she doesn't live with him so it makes perfect sense to him, and he doesn't realise crazy time/space poo poo is afoot. Right now it's unclear what J knows or thinks he knows, or even when he started writing these letters.

For all we know, our Jade was the one who gave him the idea to start writing to her in the first place, and she only called herself his grandma because that's what she remembered him calling her.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
So is Mom or Bro going to be the hero of heart? Considering their relationships with Rose and Dave in the last session, either one would be drat hilarious.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
The new troll being the Signless makes no sense though, other than the obvious parallel to Karkat's first appearance and the grey text. She's female, for one, and has been awake on Prospit most of her life.

Assuming this is an ancestor, and the ancestors had the same roles in the game as the kid-trolls did, I'm guessing this new troll is the Dolorosa. She's obviously the space player, and her being so helpful fits with what little we know of the Dolorosa. If the ancestors don't have the same roles, though, it's anyone's guess as to which one she is.

Comedy option: Mindfang.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Sadly, his clever disguise was no match for Dad's keen eye.

e:f;b

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Remember, in the original session Dave was sent back in time with Maplehoof, but she died when the meteor landed.

Perhaps in this timeline, Maplehoof survived, and Dave grew up with an intense love of ponies that he then inflicted on Bro? Bonus points if he remembers his pre-scratch life and did it to spite Bro's stupid puppet fetish.

Curses, beaten again

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Bro's gonna be a brony isn't he? :( And it'll probably be unironic, considering that's what it was hinted at Pre-scratch Bro was to puppets.

Mom being a genuinely kind person and Bro being genuinely into weird poo poo would be the best "twist" yet. :allears:

Dave, and especially Rose, having to come to terms with the fact that they were imagining whole scenarios, and having to come to terms with the fact that their guardians were very different people than they are, would be lovely.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I wonder if Mom drank because she thought she was a terrible mother? What a horrible feedback loop.. now I've made myself depressed. :smith:

QueerPope posted:

Annnd.... I have no clue what the equivalent for Jade would be. So that breaks the pattern.

Jade is a beacon of normality in a sea of insanity and she was raised by a loving dog.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I really think Bro is Hero of Void.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I approve of the idea that Bro is gay for Jake, because it would mean that all of Jake's friends are crushing on him.

This is from a few pages back, but I think it's important. Given the huge amount of parallels the new session has for the old, I wasn't thinking about troll parallels, but now that I do it seems pretty blatant:

Jane, Mom, and possibly Bro have a crush on Jake -- parallels with Eridan having a crush on everyone else.
Jane is an heiress -- parallels pretty obviously with Feferi being a princess.
Mom seems to love cats -- parallels Nepeta?
Bro makes robots -- parallels Equius? (Also ponies vs muscular hoofbeasts)

Of course, if this is true, it means Mom goes dark sometimes for reasons other than her Void powers. I think it has to do with Rose. Mom seemed to work at the lab that made Sburb and probably knew some of what was going on. Rose has likely learned things too, only uses magic instead and goes grimdark again.

Idunn fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 22, 2011

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Well I didn't see that coming! I thought Jake was going to be the one who'd end up being a robot in their session since he died on Prospit... but I guess it'll be Jane? At least that's what I hope. Maybe they'll all just think she died till they get in the game and she just uses her dreamself for their whole session.

Though I do wonder if this means every new kid will only have 1 life, since that's what Jane and Jake have right now assuming no robot/ghost shenanigans occur.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
So who built the Hussbot, and who is that lovely Prospitian lady in the background?

So many mysteries!

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Fucknag posted:

That's Ms. Paint you dingus.

Oh derp of course. I keep forgetting she's a thing.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I like the new designs. :colbert: Doom and Hope are my favourites, even though I'd hoped Doom was purple (not really a fan of green in general and purple doesn't scream "rage" to me, but ah well).

Also I'm pretty surprised no one has mentioned that the PM/Noir thing is a callback to this. Or maybe they did and I missed it! Either way I think people were overanalysing it, PM just really hates Noir -- much like Vriska found Kanaya kickin' rear end and takin' names making her flushed, but it didn't really lead to anything.

Idunn fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 13, 2011

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Sollux may be dead but we still have the one that burst out of a dream bubble and is chilling with Aradia. So I have a feeling he'll be around for a while, yet.

If there's going to be a massive dream-bubble breakout, his ability to get out in the first place will probably be relevant. But it's hard to say either way if that'll happen, maybe he's just special.

Despite not thinking Sollux is gone for good, seeing Karkat cry is always upsetting. :smith: The most human of the trolls.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Hahahaha what the gently caress? That Nic Cage button, oh my god.

Let there be no doubt that Karkat is the best troll.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
His gimmick isn't just making 100s, though, it's making 100%. It could be a reference to multiple things though!

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
This update excites me because it points to Bro's name being Dick. :allears:

However Mom's name isn't going to be Ruby and that was my best guess before. Someone pointed out previously that all the kids' names are monosyllabic and most Ro- names don't fit that. If it just needs four letters, my bet's on Roxy. If it needs four letters/one syllable I have no idea.

Also is Bro ineligible because he's gay, smitten with Jane, or because they're ectobiosiblings (I know some people definitely think they aren't but I'd say it's basically up in the air right now)?

Stupid theorycrafting aside that chatlog was amazing in every way.

Ro Lalonde posted:

TG: (thisis a dramantic pause calm ur tits)

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Twitter reminded me that Roxy was able to see dead pre-scratch Dave, etc, when she was traveling through the dreambubbles. In theory there's no reason this couldn't be a pre-scratch Mindfang from a doomed timeline?

I know this post was incorrect in some respects, but I realised something while reading it. Wouldn't that explain that godtier Karkat with dream Nepeta as well, Roxy stumbling upon a pre-Scratch Signless and Disciple? That would require the Signless to have the same class and aspect as Karkat, but given that Darkleer was implied to have Void powers ancestor-progeny class match-ups don't seem out of the question.

Of course doomed timelines and general shenanigans are likely as well, but it's a thought.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Yeah I have no idea what the tiny dice refers to. And is the cat on shoulder referencing that one picture of him? Is that really a "thing"?

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
This is beautiful, but not as beautiful as this weekend's updates. Waiting for the train this morning by reading like 8 pages of Homestuck, and 300 posts in this thread, was a great way to make up for a terrible start to my day.

And Donald, while this might be violating the Prime Directive, I think I should tell you that you can edit your posts to avoid multiposting.

Idunn fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 19, 2012

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Yep, green-eyes-peeled-for-blue-lookers-nude.com redirects to Jake's intro, but blue-lookers-nude redirects to a tumblr owned by a goon who admitted to it here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444640&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=280#post400731806

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Erasure posted:

The narration has pointed out multiple times that the characters are 18, and they're drawn as such. And there are only two rape scenes, one of which involves the character being saved before it actually happened, and the other one being a single panel joke.

Jesus Christ is it really that hard to see why defending Homestuck rape porn might be a bad idea? Especially after the artist was already banned?

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I just finished listening to everything, and this album is awesome. I think I like Universe A more but this one has some really excellent songs, and I won't be able to judge it completely without a few more listens. I think the one song that surprised me the most is WV: Become the Mayor of Cans, it's nothing like what I'd expect a WV song to sound like but it's incredible and I love it.

pandaK posted:

Wait, Clockstopper was made by a goon, wasn't it?

That would be super cool because it's one of my favourites! I was not expecting a Beatdown remix on here, but I am so happy we got one. Not a fan of its track art, though, Dave's face is... odd.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Regarding all the speculation about the alpha lands, I'm not really sure the next three will be all be The Land of [graves] and [noble gas], especially since xenon, neon, and krypton are all used to make "neon" lights. (Actual neon glows orange, other colours are all other gases; xenon is blue and krypton is white. Krypton with coloured bulbs is usually how multicoloured signs are made.) I can't really think of anything other than neon lights that any of those are used for, either.

The idea of Dirk's planet being filled with gaudy orange lights is pretty great though.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Hhaha what the gently caress. Well, I was not expecting THAT.

Also it's nice to see that Jane was only temporarily annoyed with the auto-responder, though I really wish she'd talked to Dirk instead. Hopefully she'll be cool with him too, their friendship is so great, it'd suck if it was ruined over a boy :ohdear:

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I really hope we get a Sollux/Feferi sprite over a Feferi/Eridan sprite, if only so Eridan is still alone, even in death.

Eridansprite would be perfect with basically everyone too, but especially Jake. He'd be so jealous of him and it'd be loving beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

KoB posted:

Isnt that just because Roxy only has an appearifier? You cant sendificate with an appearifier. That would be crazy talk.

While I had the same thought when I read this, I think it's important to note that the sendificator and appearifier are the one piece of Crockercorp technology that Dirk and Roxy can't live without, respectively. Though this tumblr user is probably over thinking things re: wanting to hang out with their friends, this does say a bit about them.