Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Karkat's argument with himself across time is executed so flawlessly its almost scary. Like the way it intertwines with itself and it manages to make sense once youve read it teoce is nothing short of incredible and impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Fanfic is almost u iversally trash. gently caress you! *u holsters bfg*

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Spellman posted:

Some of us are Hussiests, just a fan of the man and his personality from back in his forum and blogging days, and are only really interested in what he's up to

He was very funny and i miss him

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
How dare you...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
aids

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Homestuck^2 ain't dead

loving hell

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Cavatica posted:

Welp, announcement from Hussie on Patreon confirmed that the team will continue on, but no updates until it's finished. So kind of like the epilogues, which is nice.

wait what

last i recall this whole thing felt like we barely had reached the end point of a first act

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i just read that, thats hosed up

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
is it really spelled Practise

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
wasnt that a big point of all characters though. they have hobbies in so much as they engage with them in a very superficial way. John is a cinephile but he only likes popcorn cage stuff and ghostbusters. Rose is a psychotherapist but she gets all her info from wikipedia. Karkat was a romance expert who got all his info from the alternain version of Hitch and bridges of madison county. Dave was detached from everything he did because of Irony reasons.

of the main cast i think Jade was a gardener (????(jade had character traits?)) and i think she was the only one who was competent at her hobby. Kanaya too with her seamstress work

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i'ven't watched the video and i shan't, but did they use the epic 400000 word blog post about how my sources tell me the mooney was spent on thai hookers? if it did then maybe it has to do with the legal threats but thats still overreacting

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i hope the screenshot captured me calling you all a bunch of loving losers

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Welp, the final chapter of Psycolonials has been released, and now it can be judged as a completed work.

I’mma start out my disjointed and rambling review by throwing some numbers at ya:

At the time of me writing this Psycolonials has 223 reviews on steam. According to the ol’ Steam Revenue calculator (located here: https://steam-revenue-calculator.com/) that means it generated roughly $100,249.65 in gross revenue. It also says the net profit is only $33,055.00, but as Freakazoid taught us “The Net is fantasy” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc still one of the best pieces of financial advice I ever got from a cartoon) so who knows how accurate that is. Now, if we take that 100,249.65 in revenue and divide it by the cost of the game (9.99) the number we come up with is 10,035. This is, in theory, the number of people who have bought and played the game. All of this is just speculation, but given the amount of chatter I’ve been seeing around various social media sites (i.e. not very much) in regards to the game I’d say that number feels about right. This is a game that a couple thousand of people have clicked through, and I don’t see that number going up much any time soon. For comparison Omori, another indie game that was recently released after a long and troubled development, currently has 12,413 reviews on steam (also you should play it because Omori is really good) and Undertale has 131,896 reviews on steam (I’d tell you to play Undertale too, but everyone and their dog already has) and I’ll let you do the math yourself in regards to what that means player base and profit wise.

Why am I bringing any of this up? Because Psycolonials is at its core a game about not needing to impress anyone, so it’s surprisingly appropriate that such a narrative failed to make much of an impression on the majority of the population. It is, if nothing else, a story that is practicing what it preached by failing to be a success.

Psycolonials is to Andrew Hussie what Lady in The Water was to M. Night Shyamalan, a mediocre metanarrative that exists primarily as a defense of the authors god given right to create mediocre metanarratives. Much like how Lady in the Water was a poorly masked autobiographical tale of M. Night being pissed about his movies getting bad reviews, Psycolonials is a poorly masked autobiographical account of Hussie’s time spent working on Homestuck. Except Lady in The Water was fun to mock because at the time M. Night Shyamalan was bigshot Hollywood director (Remember when people were calling him the next Spielberg? And remember when Spielberg made good movies and not crap like Ready Player One?). Meanwhile, Hussie is currently not a bigshot. He’s basically at the level of “some guy”. Seven hundred times as many people have watched that Sarah Z video talking about how he hosed up his last project as have played his current one. There’s no fun to be had in mocking Psycolonials, no joy can be found in kicking a horse this down in the dirt.

Psycolonials has a plot (it’s Tragedy Girls mixed with Killer Klowns from Outer Space, but not nearly as good as either of those movies. It’s also not as good as early Homestuck, or late Hometsuck, or Problem Sleuth, or Lady in the Water), but the plot doesn’t really matter nor is it told to us particularly well. It’s pretty much just the bullet points of an outline of a plot intercut with spurts of dialogue (dude is still pretty good at dialogue I’ll give him that). Hussie has always been more of an Idea Guy as opposed to a Put Ideas Into an Order that Makes Sense guy, and that is on full display in Psycolonials. But like I said: the plot doesn’t matter. The is a story that exists to support a message, and that message which is at the core of its very soul is this:

If a project becomes too big for you to manage just gently caress off to an island so as to completely avoid the negative consequences of your own actions.

And, I mean, yeah, there’s something to be said about stepping away from unhealthy obsessions for the sake of self-care. But not everyone can afford to gently caress off to an island, nor can you always run away from all of life’s problem and responsibilities. So it’s kind of only a solution if you’re A) rich and B) view politics as a spectator sport on twitter and not something that has a meaningful effect on your daily life.

Oh, and the story tries to do a meta gameplay thing at one point and it’s one of the worst examples of such a thing that I’ve ever seen. Like, you know how sometimes a game will take away control from you and let the character in game make the choice instead? Well, Psycolonials tries to do that, but since the story has never let you actually make any choices it comes off as completely hollow. Like, I might find it impressive if this was my first time seeing something like that, but having played Nier, Mother 3, most things by Suda51, Doki Doki literature club, Stanley Parable, Undertale, and The Lady in The Water N64 game (my uncle who works at Nintendo got it for me) I’m long past the point of being inherently impressed by meta fuckery in games.

But here’s the thing: Psycolonials is not a good game, or a game I recommend playing, but it is a game that got made. A beginning, a middle, and an end, that’s a story! And honestly, good for Hussie for making poo poo again. Not every project is going to be as good as the last one, sometimes you make something that’s just a hot mess. Also, other people who aren’t me seemed to really like this one! There’s not a lot of them, but they exist. Psycolonials gives off powerful Passion Project vibes, so hopefully it not making much cash isn’t that big of deal and Hussie can live off his other investments and keep pumping out bizarre visual novels (apparently Psycolonials took four months to make, making between 100,249.65 - 33,055.00 for four months of work is a pretty respectable income. More than I made back when I was waitressing, I’ll tell you that much). Who knows, maybe one of them will eventually be something I actually enjoy.

TLDR:

Psycolonials is not good, I would not recommend playing it. But good on Hussie for creating again. I dunno, if it goes on sale maybe pity buy it but don’t play it? Encourage him to keep trying. Dude’s had it rough lately.

Edit:

Well look at that! It's up to ‎274 reviews now! I'm doing more math, but that's a few thousand more dollars towards Hussie's food fund at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
no

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the point on whether its truly canon or not pales in comparison to just how plain bad writing it is

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hes right

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Fandoms are the worst thing thats ever happened to media and its enjoyment.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
all the worlds evils have existed before, serial killer fans were a thing long before the internet, but that doesnt mean that the ease of accessibility to columbine fan forums and tumblrs isnt a worrying prospect, and the fact that there is this hyperfocusing on random individuals (influencers, youtubers, twitter posters, etc) that have no real way to deal with the tidal waves of attention and obsessive following like celebrities do (who often have pr teams and security details) not to mention the immediacy through unbelievably fast internet connections and the massive community hubs that dwarf any old time convention is something very characteristic of our agressively accelerated consumption era. The NFT scam has existed before (e: i dont remember what the name of the scam was but basically convincing someone thru a third party somethig is worth a lot), sex scandals have existed before, mass scrutiny has existed before, pandemics have existed before, identification through brands has existed before. It is foolish to believe ourselves so unique that our ills are sui generis, amd while theres nothing new under the sun we keep finding new spins on the old classics in very worrying ways.

also the man's right.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 14, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Varinn posted:

economy of scale

im agreeing with you there.
also im not talking about the killers themselves but rather their followers, and before someone posts this, im not drawing an equivalence between homestuck fans and columbine fans, i was saying that even poo poo like that existed before us, its just been made so much more easily accessible by our current communications heavy landscape for both likeminded people in that group and for outsiders to be exposed to them to adegree never seen before.

also never did i say that the solution to any of these problems are even remotely similar, nor did i even at all talk about solutions.
wht im getting at is that these problems arent unique but thanks to our specific technological moment, were seeing them amplified in new, worrying, ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Varinn posted:

hussie's "tumblr had me feelin like the white jim jones' aside, i will say there are fandoms that are like cults, and its the weird poo poo like the 30 year old minecraft youtubers who aggressively cultivate rabid fanbases of preteens. but nobody is doing that poo poo by accident, and its a completely separate problem from some 17 year old tiktok kid blowing up and then getting cancelled in a 48 hour period

lol i was about to mention poo poo like Dream too but decided i was veering a bit far from my original point.