Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Davinci posted:

Not sure why, but I wasn't really expecting much from the trailer. Turns out my expectations were totally wrong and it looks rad as heck, the characters look great and the monsters looked super cool. It's amazing how MSPA has that aspect where when it's not around you sort of get down on it, but it can totally pull you back in just like that.

Also I didn't see any mention of it on here among the Hiveswap trailer chat, but there's a new news post on the main MSPA website. Important information is that Homestuck will still resume on the 13th, Hussie has built up a 400 page backlog, he hasn't decided on the update schedule just yet, A6A6I5 is the last "normal act", and that Paradox Space will be going on hiatus then too, so that they can focus more efforts on the game itself.

I didn't see that news post while on the main page, only the one from 19 January 2015 about this last pause we're in, until I clicked on one of the last panels. I'm guessing other people haven't seen it either because of that and that's why there is no discussion about it?

Edit: Oh, it's there now.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Man, Strife! comes across an awful lot different now.

How so?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

I really needed that laugh, bless you.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
To me, both Caliborn and Calliope represented two different ways of obsessive fandom but like half-heartedly?

Caliborn was the fan that got super into a Thing, but bashed everyone who didn't like the Thing the right way. (His way.)

I found it kind of odd that Hussies used this stereotype in particular, but he was the sort of slash/yaoi fan who hates the female characters with a passion, while idolizing the male characters of his preference, but all his drawings and interpretations reveal that he perceives them all in a shallow way.

I say odd because in my anecdotical experience this sort of fan tends to be female, but the misogynistic outlook required to get there applies to both I guess, it's just that Caliborn's got aspirational because he wanted to embody the hyper-masculine, hyper-violent ideal of a man himself, as Lord English, while women view the yaoi fandom as more of a vicarious and emotionally safer way to consume romance or sexually charged works one step removed from themselves.

Calliope was the more benevolent of the two, in that she was the incredibly supportive and positive fan, who never had a bad thing to say about the fandom, and put her energy into loving fanart. I actually wish Hussie had gone all the way with her like he did with Caliborn, to show how that can easily dip into the kind of toxic positivity that strangles a fanbase and ends up forming cliques. Instead she was more of a plot device than a character.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I still wonder what Homestuck would have been like in a timeline without the distraction of the kickstarter adventure game.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

life_source posted:

As in without a kickstarter at all or without the original blow up?

Way way better without a kickstarter at all, and probably just a bit better with the kickstarter not getting screwed. Both would have meant Hussie had more time to devote to ending the comic instead of taking multiple pauses.

I meant without the kickstarter at all, I agree that it stole away too much time and energy from the comic. It generated a lot of hype combined with the release of Cascade (and money from the increased audience as word of mouth spread, I guess?) but even in a perfect world both projects were too much too juggle at once.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nothing after [S] Game Over is canon. :colbert:

I think that was the last past of the comic that I enjoyed and actually made me feel genuine emotions, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
All Night Laundry followed on the reader-guided plot format and had some themes in common regarding fighting fate and what is identity when time travel is involved.

Oh, and trying wacky things to save lives involving space-time. Trying to game the system when the system is out to get you.