Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I'm thinking the dead are gonna stay dead. It's not like they can't contribute with dialog and such. They're downright talkative in spite of the whole dead thing. Besides when the prize you're going for is literally an entire universe it would be a little too tidy imo for everyone to come back alive and share the spoils.

But if that's what happens I'll roll with it. I'll accept whatever happens so long as DD stays alive. He is the best character.

The flash should be pretty crazy. I think it was either Tensei or Radiation who posted in the last thread and also hinted it would be crazy long. Should be good regardless. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Well Manicured Man posted:

You missed the totally awesome Jailbreak album

Oh what. Is there a link to this?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Fortis posted:

I also FINALLY got to put up the C.R.U.N.K Gold Edition print I got in August in my new apartment, and it is probably one of the better home decorations I've ever bought.

Eff yeah. I like it so much I think I'm gonna have to frame it to make it last longer. poo poo is nice.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

DD noooooo :negative:

Do we really need to spoiler anything? I can't speak for others but I know I stayed away from this thread like it was radioactive until I checked to see if MSPA updated.

Speaking of radioactivity WV sure got... um. Punched through the stomach. And WK literally lived for like 10 seconds after millions and millions of years of sitting in that pod with a wizard book written by a thirteen year old. I think he is the true unsung tragic figure of Homestuck.

The reveal that the Tumor wasn't a bomb at all, but an ectobiology lab containing two whole universes was great. I'm not sure what emotion the close up shots of Dave and Rose were supposed convey but "oh drat" is pretty appropriate.

Speaking of the shots done by other artists, maybe it's me but drat I don't think anyone has been able to draw Bec Noir without him looking really goofy. Hussie makes him look like a cartoon and that kind of works though he still looks really clunky and odd. But the other art of him just looks... not good.

And it looks like we know how Sollux is going to die. Dude is breaking apart. And he's been reduced to being a psychic engine. His ancestor can relate.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 25, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I can't listen to this album until after work but I've updated the terrible music sperg spreadsheet.

Didn't put Cascade in there because it's by goddamn everyone. Instead I just listed Cascade (Beta) under Tensei and figured that ought to do it since everything else is from tracks already cited under their respective artists.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Am I crazy or did the flash just skip some things?
How did John get to Lohac?

While talking to Karkat. It was from Karkat's perspective, so it appeared to happen instantaneously aka Andrew didn't have to draw that bit.

quote:

When did Jade make the frog/billiard thing?

She made it during her conversation with Kanaya when she first learned about breeding frogs.

quote:

When did Rose and Dave fight DD?

DD stabbed Dave awake while he was chilling with Rose in a dream bubble, then Dave woke up and flew off to fight him. Which happened offstage.

quote:

Why are the exiles blowing up the labs?(this part of the flash in particular confused the hell out of me)

It was the White Queen's idea. The reason was never explicitly stated, but you can infer that they were attempting to destroy Jack's route to the Troll session, since that was his main goal upon reaching Earth. He rode a meteor there, then used the equipment in one of the labs to transport to the trolls right when they were about to win the game. It's not clear if the queen knew this, but if she intended to defend the planet then it makes sense, since Jack needed to get outside of the universe in order to kill it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Evil Mastermind posted:

That reminds me...why exactly did Jack want to go to the Troll's session? Did we ever get a reason for that?

He needed an outside perspective so he could kill that croaky motherfucker froggy lightshow he's been aching to kill. When Karkat was telling Jade about the cancer he created he said it wasn't just like a disease that kills the body from the inside, it expresses itself in a form that leaves the body and then turns around and destroys it. That's what Jack is doing.

At first I thought it was just like, happenstance. Like he blunders into the troll session after maybe the kids banish him over there or something then he turns around and he's like oh poo poo it's that fukken frog better burst its fuckin eyeballs. But the flash indicates he was definitely planning to hop to the troll session by way of the teleporters shifting him through universes so he could kill a frog.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

King of Solomon posted:

That could just be a lack of self-awareness. :v:

But yeah, Doc Scratch even mostly admitted to lying. The thing is, he lies by omission. You have to phrase your questions very specifically to get a good answer out of him, otherwise there is no point and you're more likely to get, well, misled.

He even comes right out and says "I'm going to have a conversation with Rose where she is going to learn why you should never listen to strange men on the internet." dude has been doing his own thing and getting people to go along with it while laughing the whole time.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Listening through the album. Oh man is Do You Remem8er taking a bit from Lifdoff? That was the best track. Next to WSW-Beatdown.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I always thought Jack got sent there by the kids; the overall Plan was to trap Jack in the Troll universe just before it folds in on itself, and get the trolls to the kid's universe where they'll be safe-ish.

That's what Karkat implied, but now we know that the big Plan they had barely had anything to do with Jack. They were just trying to nuke the sun and escape.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 26, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I never listened to Potential Verdancy. It basically owns.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

quote:

Ironically, to fulfill her role, she was bound to the life of a creature she loathed, which happened once before in the troll session when they prototyped a frog. She was disgusted by the transformation, and removed the ring, which lead to her eventual exile, and meeting with Scratch in the desert.

This was the bit that impressed me most. I mean I'm sure he didn't have Snowman and Slick standing on that roof in mind when he originally introduced the black queen and her decision to take off the ring, but the way the two parallels work so nicely is pretty amazing.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

YggiDee posted:

We still don't know what killed Jaspers. Until there's evidence otherwise, I'll just say it was Jack.

May as well, what with the dog/cat antagonism and all.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The album cover looks like a big swirly green mint candy surrounded by lollipops.

I think the first thing that really strikes me about 8 is that it's representin a lot of downtempo stuff. I mean I know it's got a lot of fast paced tracks in it but the ones that slow down really stick out to me the most. Like Do You Remem8er Me, Flare, Galactic Cancer, Airtime, Gust of Heir and quite a few others. I really enjoy music that takes its time to build an atmosphere and these pretty much do it.

I'm also glad to see a few ideas from Volume 5 get some attention here. I'm thinking primarily of Lotus (Bloom) and Pyrocumulus (Sicknasty). There were a lot of great tracks in 5 that seemed to get lost in the deluge of content. Personally I hope Sarabande gets reworked in something. It's a slow, nice waltz but it's got, you know, oomph. For a waltz. I also like Ocean Stars Falling. Ocean Stars is probably my favorite track in Squiddles and it's nice to hear it expanded on.

Explore got rearranged in Hussie Hunt to sound like some music that would play while Abbot and Costello shuffles fearfully around in some ancient haunted house. It's pretty funny.

The later section of the album has some pretty heavy stuff in it. I'm not going to pick a favorite but I'm just going to say that I've been listening to Infinity Mechanism a lot, which is by Thomas Ferkol. Between this and Dreamers and the Dead from Alterniabound I think that dude needs to put out a solo album. Then again I think a lot of these people need to put out a solo album.

I still haven't sat down to give this a decent listen, I've mostly just had it playing in the background while I work. From my vague impressions I feel like some of the heavier stuff at the back of the album don't really feel like they have a central idea. Like Drift into the Sun. It kind of meanders. It's not terrible or anything, it's just kind of there. Contrast with Bargaining with the Beast, which really does sound like a dialogue between a deep thrumming string section and flitting pipes.

edit: also I forgot Carefree Action because I haven't listened to this album long enough to get an impression of the very last tracks, but Carefree Victory has such a goofy fun melody that I'm happy whenever it pops up elsewhere.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 27, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Fren posted:

Oh please god could we get another Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaledio before the end of all paradox space.

This absolutely with the burning truth of a green sun.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I really like Cascade (Beta). I mean Cascade is nice but Beta is a lot more coherent plus it has more of Tensei doing things to guitars which is always a Pretty Okay Thing.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what the ultimate riddle is.

Or for that matter, the ultimate alchemy. I'm hoping we'll find out in the final act since this is supposed to be an Sburb session played the "proper" way, since they both seem to be tied with the game itself.

Although at this point I'm liable to think the ultimate alchemy is actually the creation of the green sun and it was just another red herring to think that it was part of the game. You can't get more ultimate than mashing two dying universes together.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 27, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Karkat never explains what the ultimate riddle is, whenever John asks him about it he just dances around it or acts exasperated. This is the last time it's mentioned and it sounds like he's about to explain it but the narration jumps to a different perspective.

And the ultimate alchemy, from way back, I think someone mentioned it had to do with the Denizens. I don't think it has to do with the ecto-babies stuff, though at this point who knows.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I thought you said Jack there for a moment. I really don't like the close up view of his face just before he cuts a chump.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Valex posted:

Betty Crocker products

Lord English cannot sustain himself on Gushers. What an absolutely silly idea.

Unless... red and blue gushers are filled with dead universes.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Everything we have was inherited from the troll universe.

Except for John Cusack, who is a universal constant.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Baron La Croix posted:

I'm wondering whether or not Gamzee really has come back around - isn't the (highly suspicious and evil-looking) fondly regarding happening after his pacification, according to the countdown? Or is there something I've missed?

Yes, he is fondly regarding after bro-ing out with Karkat. Which means that he's staring at a video of Jade's spherical lab going nuclear due to Jadesprite's creation and subsequent freakout, as well as talking with Lord English asking him what to do now while ostensibly sane. Also he painted a :o) face on the screen.

I don't think he's back to being a high as gently caress goofy clown, because there is no pie for him to get high off of. If the sopor pie kept his "kill all lowbloods" personality stifled, maybe Karkat's doing the same thing except without the toxic drugs bit, and sober Gamzee is still kind of a creepy guy who paints on computer monitors with his blood and likes watching ghost dog girls cry, but he's not killing everyone.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I've listened through the Jailbreak album and man it's pretty good. I'm like the only guy I know who actually listens to chiptunes. All my friends thinks its irritating. Which is true sometimes, but I think this is pretty cool. I really like the commentary track at the end. I want those for the Homestuck volumes :v:

Renaissance Robot posted:

When did you stop being that mysterious grey douchebag and start being Harry Anderson?

Yesterday. The quote is a bit cumbersome but whatevs. I would have gone with "who's this wise guy?" but I wanted to change it up and Harry Anderson is just mugging so hard for the camera it's endearing. Plus the Wise Guy pages are among my favorites in MSPA.

It was either this or a Charles Dutton avatar with "I slept and saw God's forge in frost." as the text. I'll probably move onto that once I'm bored with Harry. Or a Charles Barkley avatar with like This Ocean Charles. So many choices :allears:

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

That'll be fine though, since Lord English will have turned out to be Harry Anderson and John always wanted to learn from the best magician ever.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Boneless Jogger posted:

Huh. Apparently some Homestuck songs are coming to Rock Band.

That's cool and all but man, that keyboard in Dance of Thorns. I don't own RB3 and I get that plastic toy instruments are not at all representative of the real thing but do they often shoehorn instruments in an awkward way like that?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Memphis Raines posted:

Man I really wish Hussie would have give some exposition about how time travel works inside sburb; I can think of things like Steins;gate where it was explained solidly, using the idea of the alpha and beta timelines running parallel, and offshoot timelines being tiny fibres that make up the overall rope of the alpha timeline, unless they manage to affect things that the line is more than 1% different overall, by which they cross the divergence percentage barrier and end up in the Beta timeline, which ultimately has a different outcome.

That was simple.

Homestuck makes me want to take my brain out with an icepick.

Keeping it vague helps the story do what it does. Laying out clear and unambiguous ground rules out the gate would probably have made a lot of the current craziness impossible as people howl about how time travel shouldn't work that way in Homestuck. I'm sure that people still do that, but at least like this they can't cite any example outside of their own personal idea of how the story should be told.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

More like John would be all "oh i get it it's like [something completely different probably related to a bad movie or star trek] that makes sense thanks buddy!" and then Karkat would have an aneurysm trying to explain it again so it's not so much about John not getting it as Karkat trying to keep all his veins from popping from sheer anger.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Also just to blab one more time about Volume 8, Frog Hunt is a very fun tune. Very jam band. But Gust of Heir has to be the chillest track on the album. Bowman's "Even in Death" remix is nice. Aside from other changes I like how adding in a violin and softening the orchestral stabs really changes the texture without deviating all that far from the original at all.

Infinity Mechanism is still probably my favorite overall. Very driving sound. It owns.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

This is still the best page in Homestuck.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Level Slide posted:

Over the course of five days I have shotgunned all five acts insofar. I think I've gone cross-eyed.

So, what, that's one day spent on acts 1-4 and four days spent on act 5 :v:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I think Homestuck ruined webcomics for me :psyduck: I can't go back to the more traditional style. I'm 82 pages into GC and I'm just not getting into it :( I feel like something is wrong.

It gets better. The art especially skyrockets in quality, but the story starts to gain its own identity after a few chapters.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like Lord English's design. Not enough villains go for the shirtless suspenders look. In retrospect Andrew dropped a pretty big hint when he referred to English enslaving women to his service, as Doc Scratch has been busy being a creepy rear end in a top hat to girls this whole time.

So now he goes back to the beginning of the universe and begins his recruiting drive that gets him the Felt, Snowman, the Empress and Aradia's ancestor.

Factory Factory posted:

--> recall: the Cairo Overcoat rips and tears when time shenanigans are going on. Stitch repairs it. There are supposedly two, the main coat and a backup.

I'm guessing that since it's in the room with all of Stitch's voodoo doll things the backup is essentially English's voodoo doll.

I wonder if that means that disruptions to spacetime correspond to injuries on English, and not just damage to his coat. Probably not since he's supposed to be invincible outside of glitchy game-breaking mechanics, but all that time poo poo is certainly having an effect on the coat.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Waffnuffly posted:

I'm still not totally clear on why they wrote that stuff in the first place. Were they sorta like, under the influence of Doc Scratch or something at the time?

Probably has something to do with the fact that they each wrote a part of the code immediately after some severe personal injury. Tavros paralyzed, Vriska losing her arm and eye, Terezi being blinded and Aradia, you know, vaporized by eye lasers.

It's noteable how massive physical trauma is such a part of English and what he does. Between what happens to the trolls and Doc Scratch losing his leg and then having his head explode. Maybe he's at his strongest when the people he manipulates are suffering.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I just noticed that the sarcophagus he uses has a skull for its head.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I like how Lord English is pretty much a big green monster Cal, though. He's remained the weirdest 'character' throughout all this so it makes sense he'd be linked to Lord English in a more direct way than just being a basis for Scratch. Also I love that there was a horrible monster Cal head inside the cueball-head of Doc Scratch this whole time. Perfect.

This is what happens when Dave leaves Cal hanging for too long. He should never have left him hanging.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like his look more and more really. He looks... brutal. Like, "doesn't gently caress around will attack you with a lead pipe to your kidneys until you piss blood and rib bone fragments" brutal. It'll be interesting to see how he works in a story where a lot of the characters interact indirectly. He looks very direct.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Thing is Bec Noir has always looked really, really silly to me. He looks kind of cartoonish and the winged antagonist with a sword thing is pretty rife with RPG cliche. Lord English, however, looks unambiguously threatening.

His physical appearance is brutish and imposing, but it just speaks to the fact that it's not really his physical nature that's a threat. He's an elemental force of destruction on the scale of universes. That's got nothing to do with how big his fangs or muscles are, but those attributes speak to his nature. I appreciate that Hussie went the "this guy is big and scary and you don't want to be near him under any circumstance" direction to represent something like that.

Though I do wonder how he'd look when rendered in traditional sprite form. Maybe he'd share the same body shape as Hearts Boxcars and just look like a big oaf.

Also I think it's hilarious he's still keeping those rosy cheeks.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

dumb brunette posted:

Hey I have a question unconnected to Lord English stuff:

Was the horse painting always on this page? I could have sworn it wasn't ... :raise:

It's been there. I remember because it was the first time I ever saw that painting, and it's not something I could ever forget :swoon:

I was thinking, the outer gods were the ones who helped Dave to map the coordinates for the Green Sun and presumably chose Rose to be the navigator. Did they know that it wasn't going to be there and that they would, in fact, create it? Or did time poo poo preclude them knowing that Dave and Rose would arrive at its time of creation and explode it into existence?

It seems like all the speculation that English is killing the horrorterrors doesn't jive with the fact that they were instrumental with bringing him into being, and of all the players in this they seem to be the ones least likely to be slaved to paradoxical inevitability so their motives for why they'd help to create the Green Sun if LE is killing them seems pretty inscrutable. Which I guess goes with the unknowable cosmic gods motif but isn't very satisfying.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 3, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

DocFrance posted:

Are you saying that unspeakable elder gods can't be played for s u c k e r s as well?

They can be but I'd hope that that whatever the hell lie that could fool a bunch of cosmic terror gods gets elaborated on at some point because that seems like it'd be a big thing.

Either that or they were intending all along to create the green sun and subsequently Lord English, which is much simpler.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

GenericOverusedName posted:

Where do new chess people come from?

The asteroid belt near Derse is full of labs with cloning equipment that mass produces chess people, which are flown to the Skaian battlefield on ships similar to the one Jade is currently breaking fourth walls with.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Walliard posted:

SUDDENLY WEED DREAMS.

I'm glad this was linked because apparently I fell behind on SBaHJ, because I never noticed the comic right before that one.

that fuckin squirrelt

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Gabriel Pope posted:

Imagine you're watching some really gripping, compelling movie in the theater, like National Treasure 2: National Treasurer. Now imagine that between every scene, they cut in a really hilarious comedy skit from an unrelated acting troupe. It's all funny poo poo, but it would still make for a pretty obnoxious watching experience!

I would get annoyed, seeing as how I would have given up 10 dollars and 2 hours to watch National Treasure 2. Since this is a webcomic I'm not liable to get worked up about it. Besides very few of the interludes haven't in some way added to the overall story to the point where by the time the next interlude arrives I don't want the previous one to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

annatar posted:

Thank god this thread stopped classic author comparison hour at Vladimir Nabokov and James Joyce.

Jesus seriously let's all stroke off about how important this webcomic is to the new western canon what the gently caress.