Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

A better understanding of the inner workings of their society might well explain how they were better able to cut deals and scheme with Jack and the Queen and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

See, I don't like the Rage one at all. It looks like the Hero of Big Bushy Mustache to me. Nothing about it screams rage to me, in any capacity.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Manipulating space and time are one thing, recreating somebody's guts out of thin air seems entirely another.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Man, Hussie regarded the hell out of that last question.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

The dude is a pretty indiscriminate killer when he's off the deep end, but that's evidently not all that unusual in their particular society (and I guess seen as a failure of said troll's moirail as it is the troll itself, since it's their job to keep each other in line).

I have to wonder if Eridan would have gone on his similar murderspree if Feferi hadn't ditched him as a moirail. She sort of shirked that responsibility and paid the price for it, unlike Karkat, even if it wasn't really fair that she be given that responsibility in the first place.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Yeah, I think just nobody thought to alchemize slime for Gamzee and he wasn't in the state of mind to medicate himself. Or maybe they didn't have the code for it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Fat_Cow posted:

Can he break out of time locks? Dave could hold him, everyone wails on him?

Generally, in games, when you freeze something in time you make it immune to damage. Being able to be hurt generally requires that time flows in such a way that causality isn't casually obliterated.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Jesus, it's like some kind of music singularity.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Zaito posted:

an alternation between multiple alphabets would be terribly confusing to both write and read.

Isn't that the entire point?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I want to know what that piece of music was, because it is great.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I would like to see the flowchart of thoughts that led to you thinking any part of this was a good idea.

I can assume it's an extension of "misery loves company".

Edit: Jesus, why did I click on one. Why.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So here's an interesting thing I noticed:

Prospit has a religion, but who do they worship?

The kids who have the potential to become gods, of course!

So... why are they fighting against each other, if they worship the same gods?

You'll find a lot of the belligerents in the first and second World Wars worshiped roughly the same God, and that didn't do much to dissuade them from slaughtering each other.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Chunky12345 posted:

That is pretty distinctly the LGBT flag, dude, I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to overthink Homestuck anyway-- how long ago was it that one minor monitor of one page that had no attention drawn to it foreshadowed an eight player session? Even if it's just there as a red herring, though, that's the flag.

Edit: I think it's literally the first Google Image Search result for "LGBT flag" with Rainbow Dash stuck on top and tilted, in fact.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Scale Model Giant posted:

Jane's been making her way up her echeladder without knowing anything about the game. I think it's safe to say it's a ubiquitous feature of the world(s), or at least of CrockerCorp.

Isn't Earth itself part of the game? It's the product of the same self-repeating process surrounding Skaia that the game constructs spring from. Presumably, there is no real difference between the two-- these things are woven (relatively) seamlessly into the nature of existence. It's just a difference of perception, location, and access to the underlying mechanisms of reality.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I had to double take there to make sure it wasn't an elaborate double bluff. That was well executed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

It's the journey, not the destination.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rhinoceraptor posted:

If we're in a dream bubble, wouldn't Nepeta's eyes be blank?

What? I just watched it, her eyes were blank.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Pessimism posted:

That wouldn't make sense, since people were speculating that Bro was gay since the beginning of time.

From talking to a lot of people, it appears that him basically mentioning it at all is both a.) incredibly shoehorned and inorganic and b.) massive pandering. Without launching into a whole rant I am pretty sure this is directly related to how loving warped society is about sexuality (especially homosexuality in men).

Edit: Basically, what dumb brunette said. 'Clubbing over the head' appears to mean 'removing any slender hope to keep believing that Hussie is trolling and he's not gay'.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 22, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Hussie, not Dirk. Him as the author.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

quote:

TG: ok but terminology aside i dont think im off base!
TT: I don't see how it has to be a thing.

That is pretty clearly him saying "I don't see how me being gay has to be a thing". That is, grammatically, what the pronoun "it" refers to. If this was about anything other than his orientation, I cannot possibly fathom this being a thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

annatar posted:

Antediluvian is an uncommon but still used adjective that simply means reactionary or backwards and has an air of high handed insult to it. You occasionally see political commentators or academics use it, its one of those old words that has unexpected impact and makes you sound well read.

Dirk is effectively saying that Roxy calling him gay is possibly offensive, probably old fashioned, that she's an idiot to do so and that he's smart enough to use the word antediluvian.

ed: http://www.economist.com/node/18745417 - The Economist calling the Dutch SGP antediluvian, a hardline Calvinist party that only admitted female members in 2006

Yeah, it means old fashioned or outdated. It also means "Look at my big vocabulary :smug:".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

jvempire posted:

I think the auto responder maybe lying to Rose (just like he was messing with Jake) to start something, which is why the auto responder is hiding the chats with Rose from Dirk. In past pesterlogs Dirk seems to just think of Jake as his dumb friend, and Jake just thinks Dirk is a bit annoying.

I think the amount of mental gymnastics people are going through to avoid having to admit that Dirk is gay is pretty astonishing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

If having a homosexual character whose orientation (which is, by the way, a far less loaded word than "sexuality") plays a non-zero role in his characterization or narrative panders to people who may or may not go 'Squee!' on Tumblr, then I can only loving assume he has been pandering to the rest of his audience for loving years every time a straight character had any sort of interaction that could even conceivably been about his orientation, overtly or peripherally.

It's a two way street, and it's also a ludicrous concept on it's face.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I suspect it may have come around from Bro being obsessed with giant dick-nosed puppets with huge asses, moving from a one-note joke when he was a silent, abstracted figure for Dave to contrast himself against to an actual personality trait once he became a protagonist with character development beyond "anime shades and irony".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

creationist believer posted:

Is there any chance that Dirk's browser/denizen won't be Eros?

I'm betting on Galatea.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I rather like that there's about sixty different ways to write a given sentence and convey the same meaning in English. There's a lot of room for personalizing and flourish (or being an overwrought windbag, in my case).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Zoolooman posted:

It's about the written language, not the spoken. Written Latin tends to be very formal because they maintained tight grammatical rules. Spoken Latin was apparently very loose and informal. It had a ton of loan words.

English allows most of its loose nature to creep into writing.

I have to ask, what is that in your avatar?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So I'm guessing Jaspers is the first prototyping, then Alpha Rose. That'll be a thing to see.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Glory of Arioch posted:

It makes reading quite a few of the chat logs easier... until you get to Equius and Gamzee pesterlogs. :stonk:

Is it weird that I can read that perfectly well? It's the normal background with some of the brighter colors that gets me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I imagine his Achilles heel, if anything, is going to be relationship-based. That or he's going to allow himself to be suffocated to death by an avalanche of puppet-rear end-prototyped enemies and die with a smile on his face like Equius.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rooreelooo posted:

So Dirk's denizen is either 'Delirious Biznasty' or 'Complete Bullshit'

BAH!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I don't know why but animations like Jane's running in place jitter are some of my favorite parts of this comic.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's kind of bugging me that even though this conversation is blatantly ragging on fantrolls and people who roleplay them on the internet (and by extension makes it much more obvious that every other character in this story is designed more to poke fun at various stereotypes than to approve them), only a very few people are likely to take the opportunity to analyse their own behaviour and maybe stop doing such incredibly embarrassing things. Or even continue doing them in a much more self-aware manner designed solely to irritate uptight squares in more 'normal' communities. I'd be moderately okay with that.

Two things:

1.) I don't think any of the parodies have been some sort of subtle conspiracy to make people stop doing X. They're parodies, often relatively fond ones. I think Hussie has as much as said the whole process ends up humanizing the thing he's parodying, making people seem less weird/more relatable.

2.) If people stopped doing embarrassing things the entirety of human civilization would grind to a loving halt. Get off your high horse and stop judging. People who write weird poo poo or pretend to be space aliens obsessed with buckets are unquestionably weird, but so loving what? They're having a good time and they're not hurting anyone. Mind your own loving business. Unless you are the whitest white bread in the history of the world, you almost assuredly have no room to judge.

It's sanctimonious to the extreme, and serves no purpose.

Edit: That was probably more aggressive than it needed to be. Pretend I said "Be Less Judgmental." in a much nicer way.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 9, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Similarly, I found room in my heart to appreciate and be open minded about horrible giant crab monsters.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

God, Jake is just so completely outclassed against that robot. That part was painful to watch. :ohdear:

That's what happens when you fight something that can outrun bullets. The bullets are supposed to be faster than him and he knows that!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Didn't some pesterlog somewhere say that there's big list of symbols trolls use, and that they get used multiple times? What if that's just, like, some entirely different Scorpio troll?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

She is gearing up for one hell of a facepalm.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Glory of Arioch posted:

jane you need to sever

now

What is it even with these heroes of life and hope and the friendzoning?

(I used to think things like this were coincidences. Heh.)

Wow, I just noticed that. Clearly, Jane is going to go all murderfiend on Jake in a stunning reversal of fate.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

code:
GT: I mean by saying we would be a good match only if he was a girl. 
GT: Like is that last condition there really all THAT important? 
GT: Does that make sense? 
GG: Hmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is probably one of the sweetest things I've read in Homestuck and I completely agree with what Jake is saying. I really respect where Hussie is going with Jake in these last updates.

Yeah, that is a really excellent thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

The phrase "soulmate" springs to mind.