Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
If I’ve never read homestuck but want to, how much am I going to miss by just reading it in on a mobile browser instead of downloading that bespoke viewer and content pack i I see recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Android Blues posted:

You need the bespoke viewer and content pack if you don't want to miss a tonne of the best parts, I think. Homestuck proper had well over a hundred Flash animations, infinite canvas segments where the website warps to become part of the comic panels, and several 30+ minute games, and all of that stuff is mostly gone on the new official site. The games are replaced by a Youtube video of someone playing through the games, it's tragic.

Also the Unofficial Collection is really good. I reread Homestuck on it recently and it's a super faithful, super smooth experience.

Ok, good to know. I have it on my desktop already but I was hoping I could just cruise through it on lunch breaks or in bed instead of needing to be on a real computer. I’m like 500 pages in so far and it’s fun!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, as is written in Homestuck law, you have to live post your experience.

If that's the cost, so be it!

So I'm on like panel 440 right now and its insane how spot on the gamefaqs imitation is - not just the site itself, but it reads like one of those overly wordy Final Fantasy guides from back in the day, so much so that I catch myself skimming looking for data until I remember I'm not playing a game. The pesterlogs are fantastic, really bring me back to late 90s/2000s internet. The nostalgia hits great.

Apparently people say it starts really slow but I'm already enjoying it quite a bit - Katana dude (Dave?) is funny but I'm always antsy for it to get back to (John?) Egbert and knitting girl (Rose?), which is generally a sign I'm hooked into something. Also, the fight scene with Rose's mom was fantastic.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I’m honestly getting into it because one of my favorite authors was apparently a homestuck fanfic author before she actually got published an I was curious about the source material.

I made it to around 850 or so last night. Jade seems like fun so far. The little hunger gremlin with can city was entertaining as well. A lot of the music in this goes harder than a 2000’s webcomic has any right to. Also, I noticed some Toby Fox - is this where he got his start pre-Undertale?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

M_Gargantua posted:

Do you mean Tamsyn Muir

That’s the one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

GunnerJ posted:

Who is she?

Tamsyn Muir - she wrote the Locked Tomb series. The blurb is ‘lesbian necromancers in space’ but I can already see a few similarities in the world building. It’s a fun series, and the second book, while weird as poo poo, is probably my favorite book I’ve read in years.