Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Seoinin posted:

Everything is going to go horribly, horribly wrong.

This is a dead certainty. Things will go horribly wrong in the most wonderfully confusing and complicated way possible.

I'm also down for thinking there will be no real bubble breakout. Not unless we want to see Act 6 go way long, or the situation gets so crazy that the introduction of a potentially unlimited number of side characters represents a footnote at best.

If it DOES happen, I'd say it will be after the climax of the story rather than before it, in the form of a universal reset that lets everybody start anew, forgiveness all around, good times for everybody. Kinda hoping it doesn't go that way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

[S] Cascade was secretly Hussie's plot to destroy Newgrounds. It seems to have worked!

Damnit Jack, you'd better fix this with your crazy omnipotence powers. We JUST started this shindig back up and already I've got a memorial avatar.

But he won't, so we can be pretty confident now why Jack in the troll session has a bloody arm and is supremely pissed off.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

closeted republican posted:

I love dancing Courtyard Droll. He actually did something smart for once, but it was too late, and now it look like Jack is gonna kill him. At least we know where the blood on Jack's hand is gonna come from now.

And he probably would have gotten away with it too, if only Jack hadn't actually been present to witness the event! It always sucks when you do precisely what your boss asked you to do, only to have your boss scream at you for doing what you were asked to do. Or in this case, get screamed at and then punched through the chest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

By "tomorrow" he means today, after the sun comes up and he's had a chance to sleep. I'm certain of it.

:ohdear:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

marsattacks posted:

Shhhhhhhh. We all are, Skepsist.

We all are.

Shooooooosh.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

marsattacks posted:

It's beautiful. Wish I could be sure of when it was reaching the beginning of the cycle, though.

Yep. I'd watch it now but I hate the idea of starting in the middle. Huss had better have a stable host by the time I wake up, or else! :orks:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Too many pages to read! Too much flash to take in at once! And all of it is good. Aradia is totally going to turn on everyone once they're gathered together. Which is why Jade and John aren't meeting up with them just yet!

Also, the Mind hoodie was ordered the moment I saw that it was up. I like the colors on the Heart hoodie, but there's no way I could wear that without inviting some awkward conversations.

Edit: whoops

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 25, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm not getting this Aradia is evil vibe that everyone else is, did I miss something?

At the end of the Doc Scratch interlude, we learn that Aradia (or possibly her ancestor) is Lord English's Handmaid and herald. Now that the sequence of events needed to summon LE are presumably complete, the kids and trolls are threats to be eliminated!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Slime posted:

Ok, so it's being speculated that Aradia looks smug because the Green Sun was successfully created and/or Dave and Rose are on the side of English for no reason.

Couldn't she just be looking smug because she's got 2 God Tier buds now? Considering that she probably knew that the creation of the Green Sun HAD to happen due to WEIRD TIME BULLSHIT wouldn't it make sense for her to be happy to have pulled some sort of victory from their defeat?

Honestly I never even noticed the supposedly smug smile when I first watched it. I'm just presuming Aradia is going to have a heel turn because of the whole Handmaid thing, which wasn't introduced for no reason at all. Also since the Aradia chilling out by the Green Sun has basically been under Lord English's control for the entire lifetime of the troll universe at this point, it seems pretty unlikely that she'll suddenly say "Psyche! I was just playing possum for all this time!"

As for people saying Dave and Rose are under LE's control too, I have no idea what they're on about.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Are you sure you're not getting the timelines/Aradias mixed up? The Aradia that we know, God Tier Maid of Time Aradia, has only been at the Green Sun since Derse was destroyed. I mean, Weird Time poo poo and all in the outer ring, but it's Aradia's ancestor that has been around "since the beginning" working for LE.

The Handmaid stuff was seemingly thrown in to tie up the loose ends with the ancestors.

Hm maybe I am mixing them up. Weird time poo poo plus a two month hiatus doesn't make this story any easier to follow!

Maybe I'm just thinking that for the drama / LE sewing despair amongst the heroes angle. But then, we still don't know how Aradia's body ended up on that quest bed. Could be that the real Aradia did indeed die long ago, and God Tier Aradia has actually been the Handmaid all along :tinfoil:.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Also, Rose and Dave travelled about 60 billion light years between the detonation of the green sun and their emergence from its surface. Let us just assume that ridiculous scale-defying speeds are a thing in Homestuck.

It may have the mass of two universes, but there isn't anything to indicate the Green Sun is larger than an ordinary star. It might even be the size of an SBURB session planet, given how close Aradia seems to be. It's probably just really, really dense.

Regardless of the Green Sun's size (and where on its timeline Aradia is waiting), Dave and Rose are still pretty awesome for getting out of it.

edit: Also yes, Rock Band 3 does map unusual instrument parts to the keyboard in songs where that instrument would be important or fun to play. It works for me, since it opens the door for songs that otherwise simply couldn't have been implemented for guitar/bass/drums/vocals alone.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 29, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Easy mode: [s] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter. There were a lot of incredible flashes, many really full of content and great action, and a lot of great scenes and chatlogs that didn't come from flashes, but none will quite measure up to the sheer hilarity of that flash. I've re-watched it many times, now, and while it's not as funny as it was that first time (which was one of those moments where I just broke down laughing. It's not the hardest I've ever laughed, but it's up there.)

I can't even really explain why. It was just extremely funny.

It's the hand slowly reaching up the screen. Kills me every time. edit: oops, thought you meant when John got Vriska to watch that scene...

For me, it's [S] Make her pay. The combination of the art, the music, and the subject matter manage to convey a genuine sense of both awe and dread in the first half of the flash. I think that's the point where I decided that I was really stuck on Homestuck. The second half isn't *quite* as great, but it is still pretty rockin', and manages to close with a nice bookend.

As for hard mode, I'm going to go with the alchemizing sequences for each of the kids, particularly John's. They get so sublimely ridiculous that I can't help but crack up every time I read back through them.

Honorable mention goes to Terezi and Dave's art trades.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 30, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dizz posted:

Quick question that might have been noted already.

During [S]Cascade you see Gamzee typing "S U C K E R S." I noticed that it was highlighted to show white text.

Does this mean the one who was typing white this whole time to the kids and trolls was him this whole time? I'm guessing this was the reason he was considered the "Most important character in Homestuck"

No, Gamzee was having a conversation with Doc Scratch. Gamzee asked "Well what the mutherfuck are we" in response to an unknown statement from Scratch, and Scratch replied "S u c k e r s".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nobody ever expected that the meeting of Jegus and anti-Jegus would result in a light-hearted buddy comedy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was getting flashbacks to Super Metroid while LE was HONKing with that screaming face. All I could hear in my head was the Mother Brain scream, which I suppose is appropriately terrifying and cacophonous.

When Jade and John get to the far side of the other wall, they may want to check their ship to make sure no sarcophagi have mysteriously appeared in the hold...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

^^^ God-tier Karkat will shooshpap Lord English into oblivion. It is his destiny.

PikaPuff posted:

If they were right on top of each other, people wouldn't get what it was. with the one yard, you can see them at an angle and can tell what they are.

The yellow yard of separation also meant there was a brief moment between the ship exiting one wall and entering the next, which the flash conveniently reminds us of by having it appear to stop between the walls just as LE makes his appearance.

That is Hussie's actual interference with the story. By arranging things this way, he's given Lord English an opening to stow away on the ship and enter the new universe.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hussie actually knows how to play with the English language. Buckley only thinks he does. That makes a world of difference.

Also as best as I can tell Hussie is not a gigantic self-important douchebag.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

heythisguyhere posted:

All English's hos end up dying.

Aradia is done with dying.

Aradia is not English's ho.

If she IS English's ho, she's planning some crazy subversion to get around the whole "dying" thing.

The Handmaid technically lived far longer than anyone mortal ever had the opportunity to. I agree though that if Aradia is an agent of Lord English, she will jump at any opportunity she gets to undermine his plans.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Sometimes you want the fandom to be an actual, physical object you can burn down. :smith:

What? This right here is a masterpiece of ironic fandom. I'll take a million of these before poorly thought out fantroll cosplay or people bitching that Hussie has taken the story in a direction that ruined their ships.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Level Slide posted:

Can we talk about potential new antagonists again? There's always the players in the Scratched kids universe.

The new universe has no batterwitch, but it does have a swamp wizard.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

On my first read (it was early in act 5.2 I think) I also skimmed many of the longer chat logs. That was a mistake, since it hugely contributed to my not knowing what the gently caress was going on.

I'll admit though, even after careful re-reads and following threads like this it can still be pretty confusing at points.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Armadillos! posted:

Lila Lalonde?

This is the sort of name a child is given by parents who think they're being clever, but in truth secretly hate their kids. So there's probably about an 80% chances this is what it will actually end up being.

edit: because in the brutal, post-Scratch society, ironic maternal conflicts are much more grim :smith:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 11, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Don't worry guys, we won't have to deal with months of following around new characters. While Jane is in the middle of looking for her arms, Jade will crash through the window, expand to normal size, say "YOU'RE COMING WITH ME" and abscond with our derpy teenage Nana. The course of getting the whole gang together to give them a crash course in how to play SVILL (or whatever SBURB is now) will take about 3 days.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blood Nightmaster posted:

On that note--as far as J's deal with Liv Tyler goes, who's to say he wasn't just getting all of his information from the pre-scratch kids via the fourth wall breakage? Let's say they bust through into this session and at some point (either directly or indirectly) influence him to make it, whether that be in his past or present or what have you. It's entirely possible he only manufactured the bunny because they told him to.

That's been a fan theory (and mine too) for some time now. Barring an intentional takeout from Hussie, it looks like that one will actually pan out!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 11, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobulus posted:

What...what if the Dad of this universe is new equivalent to Doc Scratch?

With both the powers of a First Guardian and limitless mangrit, he would truly be unstoppable.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

sansuki posted:

Zooming in on Jane's sylladex card, it says "recipe". I bet you she has a cookbook, not sylladex.

Having to mix arbitrary ingredients together to retrieve items from her sylladex would be fitting I suppose. Suddenly, running out of candy sprinkles actually heightens the tension when you need some to bake up that SBURB ENVELOPE recipe!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB61z9kNxIk

Perfection.

Fantastic. I do like how they worked in one of the most famous scenes involving stairs in cinematic history.

Also, this is probably the first time I have ever see a cat fall down a flight of stairs. This film has something for everybody!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm seeing some speculation about how it is kind of odd that the trolls performed the ectobiological stuff in their post-scratch universe, and the kids did it in their pre-scratch universe. Here's the thing though: at what point was it stated that what we are currently looking at is the universe created by scratching the kid's session? It is certainly implied to be, but there's also no small amount of coyly playing with the reader's expectations here. For all we know the narrative has actually jumped back a step in the cycle rather than forward, and there really isn't a reason why jumping through the fourth wall forces Jade and John to pop into the *next* universe. Almost by definition, the fourth wall pretty much lets Jade go wherever the hell she wants to.

In other words, the possibility exists that this is actually the original Earth and the kids are actually from the glitched universe that will be created when Jane scratches her SBURB session (with the trolls "creating" the kid's universe only due to circumstantial simultaneity with the original trolls creating the original humans). Who knows what madness was spawned as a consequence of John scratching Beat Mesa, but we don't really know for certain yet that Jane and Jake's world is it.

Why would going backwards be important to resolving the story? If Jade can somehow prevent the corrupted birth of her own universe (perhaps by repairing the ectobiological glitch that binds the two universes together?), it probably follows that Lord English is defeated by virtue of never getting to already be here in the first place.

This theory would also mean that the kid's universe having cancer isn't *really* Karkat's fault, since it was kind of fated to be messed up anyway. :unsmith:

If I've forgotten some glaringly obvious bit of story that would capsize this theory, please feel free to sink it. I've sort of gotten used to forgetting pertinent information anyway. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devilfucking dickens, indeed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mazerunner posted:

So if in the regular universe, Bro landed with Cal and then became obsessed with puppets, which rubbed off on Dave, in the Scratched universe Dave landed with Maplehoof and became obsessed with horses, which rubbed off on Bro?

Does this mean that Maplehoof will ultimately be one half of the genetic makeup of this universe's Doc Scratch? I suppose that would make him... the White Knight. Hee hee, hoo hoo.

kidBro's name will absolutely be Duke.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Color Printer posted:

Prototype Davesprite.

....actually, that raises an interesting question, what happens if you prototype a prototyped sprite?

Could be worse. They could throw Dog-tier Jade into the kernel. The game would probably say "gently caress this noise" and produce a universal BSOD.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The huge thing is the battleship.

I doubt it'd be the Green Sun. That would be pretty absurd, considering the amount of mangrit needed to pick that up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kidBro's shades are the best new character. :kamina:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not even being a little bit hyperbolic any more, the shades really are the Best New Character.

I eagerly await the next installment of Brose.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tiggy Sawdust posted:

And now we know that Jade and Jane share the same insanity gene.

The best insanity gene. Also one of the milder ones exhibited by the Homestuck cast.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rooreelooo posted:

The B2 kids will create the A1 trolls and nobody will know what the gently caress

This could be considered a win of sorts for our heroes, since it'd mean that Lord English is trapped in an infinite loop and can't get out to eat other kid's universes.

Not exactly the happiest of endings though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MrBims posted:

Her dreamself is awake before the game just like Jade's and Terezi's were. It is a real thing she is seeing.

Yep. Jake's dreamself was assassinated, and his dreambubble hijacked by LE. Hence waking Jake's peculiar taste in computers.

:tinfoil:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I like how he had to spell out to that crazed fan that Vriska was actually a developed character, and Gamzee was not. The Homestuck fandom would be far less aggravating if more of them were to genuinely read the story rather than simply latch onto idealized impressions of its actors.

edit: CRABdad BATTLE! And I guess it literally is Hellmurder Island now.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 29, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We also have a pretty good idea what Echidna looks like from her statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well Manicured Man posted:

The hope and doom symbols will be both halves of Barack Obana's face.

Would this mean that the "Eridan is a metaphor for Obama" fandom secrets thing is now canon? Because I think I could live with that.

I already bought a hoodie, but I'm not too poor yet to buy a Void t-shirt. Go ahead Hussie, take all of my money.