Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thematically, this is the part where the protagonist overcomes his doubt and fear to take action and save the day at the last second. Karkat, it's time. Do the Bloody Thing. If you sit back and let Terezi die here, you stop being best troll forever and I'll be hella disappointed in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dolash posted:

Let me reach back into the past for the plethora of occasions where a troll has risen to the challenge and overcome their flaws to achieve a cathartic success.

Ok fine, it's what would happen in a typical narrative. In Homestuck who the gently caress knows. The melodramatic Karkat closeup is pretty ripe for an emotional outburst in the next panel though. And Karkat is seriously due for one of those.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Supersonic Shine posted:

Has anybody mentioned Juggalo Championship Wrestling? Because it actually exists. There is an actual wrestling federation that the Insane Clown Posse owns. I can't show the website because I get a phishing warning whenever I try to access it, but it's a real thing.

I remember that poo poo from what has to have been 15 years ago. They somehow convinced Abdullah the Butcher to show up, though even by that time he was just a hideous ancient mass of fat and scars. Are they actually still doing this?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If they thought they needed more indie cred all they really needed to do was release a new Katamari game with some actually original content. :colbert:

Hiring all of the webcomic writers to create the strangest high school dating sim game of all time works too, I suppose.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bell_ posted:

Probably not one of your wiser purchases.

It's probably not one of anybody's wiser purchases. Yet you know in your heart that somewhere out there a con is in progress, and some Homestuck is there, clutching this thing tightly to their chest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I told you that fish hitler was gonna show up, Aranea. Now she's gonna super-kill you before you can turn this newly beta timeline into an alpha timeline, so everybody is doomed.

And yeah, the staff apparently contained Actually Skaia, which is now incinerated, so the plan to make a new universe is probably foiled. Since that Can't Happen, we are in beta timeline territory. Consequently this Caliborn intermission is going to be a bit different from the usual "petulant rear end in a top hat kid being a petulant rear end in a top hat" thing. Maybe.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Homestuck: The Series has ended on a sudden cliffhanger. The story shall be concluded in Homestuck: The Movie Moive. (The promotion for the movie involves finding the biggest and most robust webhost AH can afford, and seeing if he can bring it to its knees.)

I don't expect this thread will survive that long though. It's been real folks.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

And I was just getting comfortable in this thread. :ughh:

...how's Problem Sleuth?

Worth it. Plus you have plenty of time to check it out now, with the Gigapause in effect!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also a hell of a lot of jokes in Homestuck are direct callbacks to PS (as well as to Jailbreak and Bard Quest), so if you didn't read them first you kind of miss all of that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I didn't start reading it until I was seeing troll avatars everywhere, got fed up with not having any idea what the deal was, and decided to figure out what this "Homestuck" thing was all about. I want to say that I started reading it shortly before Horrorstuck but I honestly can't remember at this point.

I also made the egregious error of skipping most of the pesterlogs the first time I read through. Needless to say I was left even more confused about what Homestuck was than before I'd started.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Some of those are so evocative of old cartoons that it feels like there is a lot of direct homage going on there, rather than just personal stylistic choice. That is absolutely the case with Aradia don't care, and Apisdorf seems awfully familiar too.

The Jake page is downright horrifying though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The real reason to listen to Symphony Impossible to Play is that the versions of Sarabande and Ruins (at the end of Serenade) are so goddamned pretty.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Note Block posted:

Man, Colossal Titan would be so great.

He can't carry a conversation and refuses to wear clothes in public. He creeps out the other students by starting at them over fences and dividers. Then just when you're having a chill party with your friends he crashes it and invites all his awkward cousins over.

So yeah, this should absolutely happen.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

'Sup Games. 'Sup Koos.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So for the past three years this webcomic has only existed for the purpose of trolling its lovely fans, the writer has never tried to conceal this fact and yet the lovely fans eat it up anyway?

The lovely fans are literally a character in the comic: the primary antagonist. Many of the readers still have yet to make the connection.

I still enjoy the comic, but I don't take it at all seriously and I stay very, very far away from the fandom.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rasamune posted:

The comic is currently on hiatus until Hussie gets Namco High out of the way and then finishes the last chapters of the comic, at which point he will post it all up at once (and most assuredly crash his server a bazillion times over)

He crashed, what, three hosts? (including loving Newgrounds. All of it.) by posting one 15 minute Flash animation. When he dumps the whole conclusion at once along with who knows how much Flash work it'll be a week before the smoke clears. One man's quest to DDoS the entire World Wide Web by proxy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Well, things like tavros being in a wheelchair were silly fan theories that he made canon.

Yeah, while direct audience input hasn't been a thing for a while the audience still absolutely has indirect influence on the story. From fan theories and memes getting tossed in to entire characters who exist solely as parodies or stand-ins for groups of audience members. You see that sometimes in other serialized stories, though the (usually) frantic update pace, the rabid insanity of the fandom, and Hussie's grievous lack of an editor kind of heightens the effect.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The pre-scratch trolls mainly exist so Meenah has people to talk to while her personality is developed (and so Dante Basco can officially have a cameo in the comic). Kankri and Cronus also happen to be amazing mockeries of horrible people who deserve to be mocked. But aside from that I can easily see why people would be turned off by a stampede of one-note throwaway characters in the middle of an already plodding arc.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Seoinin posted:

I don't think she's going to do anything dramatic at this point as last we saw her she was showing early signs of developing Passivity, probably due to her exposure to the rest of the cast.

Aranea is currently undertaking Vriska's role in the story (seizing control of the action because She Knows Best and screwing up everything horribly for everyone in the process), so it gives Vriska a pretty good opportunity to chill out. Nothing like witnessing an object lesson in how you're kind of an rear end in a top hat to encourage you to stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dirk is manipulative and selfish, but without the development or charisma that made Vriska a good character. It doesn't help that his Thing is meta-irony, which just makes him come off as obnoxious when he out-Daves Dave.

Jake is a milquetoast who is basically overwhelmed by everything and tries to hide it behind false bravado. He'd be pitiable if his forced old-timey speech wasn't so damned annoying.

Jane is the most "normal", but that also make her kinda boring. She handles the bullshit heaped upon her better than Jake, but not by much. She has the best reaction shots though.

Roxy is best at everything other than reaction shots. And not just in comparison to the other alpha kids; she really is great.

Then Meenah shows up and you wish she and Roxy were the only alpha kids.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

He really does have a thing for mocking the worst parts of the fandom. That only encourages them to become even worse, of course.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Carrasco posted:

A couple of times on his formspring, he alluded to the next thing being much bigger: "the format and story framework will likely undergo earth shattering revolutions" and "Homestuck's really just a warm-up for something else".

It'll be the most amazing/terrible ARG of all time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It's my understanding that Francis has been a more even-tempered about things like homosexuality, but Catholicism's enmity toward Gnosticism and Homestuck's embrace of it would be sure to lead to a modern schism.

Having major characters in the story deliberately enter into pacts with a monster named Yaldabaoth is probably enough to get a big fat "nope" by itself. Hussie would need to look into a different funny hats religion if he wants to start a franchise.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm sure the UPS guy has carried boxes with stranger things proudly emblazoned on the side than "Liason Pumpkinsnuffle Collector Plush". But probably not many.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just think it's kind of funny imagining the UPS driver developing a "man, have I seem some poo poo" attitude after spending enough time delivering people's crazy stuff. Kind of like that old pic of the Homestuck cosplayers and the security guard.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Boneless Jogger posted:

Before Act 6 started, he said it would be the length of a normal, non Act 5 act. Early in Act 6, he said it would probably not be as long as Act 5, but be close. It's longer than Act 5 now. Andrew, never change. :allears:

Edit: Of course by then everyone should have understood that whatever estimate he gave it would end up being exponentially longer. It's not like those were the first times his estimates were hilariously off.

Act 6 is the length of a normal act. It was acts 1 through 5 that were short!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hello again Homestuck thread. It's been a long time.

Well, it was pretty. As I watched, I interpreted it as an unhappy conclusion. The globe in Jade's hand represented their hopes for the new universe, but it was never actualized. Thanks to Vriska, the other side of the Sburb logo opens not into the next universe like it should have, but instead opens directly into Lord English's attack. The clock is destroyed, and there is no coming back for them. The Masterpiece was either entirely a red herring, or already occurred in some other timeline branch and doesn't need to be enacted again by this specific iteration of the kids in order to secure the time loop. I'm not sure what the exact result of the Green Sun collapsing into a black hole was but it was too little too late for our heroes.

Caliborn, the avatar of the negative side of the Homestuck readership, has achieved total victory. The author became so tired of putting up with his own creation that he chose to put a bullet in it.

The end.

:kheldragar:

Or maybe it all worked out happily and the kids emerged from the juju to defeat Lord English through some unknowable means, Vriska chose the Right Thing To Do for the first time ever, and Caliborn's anime victory howl was all for nothing. I generally interpret a refusal to show an ending as an implied Bad End, but don't stop believin'.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

john never actually opens the door before the screen irises out. one of the last things we see is Caliborn triumphant and ascending, but something bad happens to the juju at the moment of his supposed defeat.

im starting to feel more and more like we are being japed here

This framing is exactly why I interpreted it as a Bad End. If the movie had concluded with the kids in their new universe, I'd accept it as meaning that they had won and earned their reward. But it doesn't end there. It snaps back to the lilypad. Then it shows Caliborn triumphant. Then we see John reaching for the doorknob in a very familiar way right as it all abruptly ends. That's a deliberate callback, and we know how it played out last time.

The events may be all over the place in Homestuck's Gordian knot of a timeline, but placing them together in that order at the conclusion is (IMO) narratively significant. The Masterpiece clearly hasn't happened yet from John's perspective and there is no explicit or implied reason why John would want to initiate it after this point, which is why I feel it isn't actually a relevant event for the John and Co we are seeing here. It may have occurred in Caliborn's personal timeline, but not here. Whatever happens next, it is neither the Masterpiece nor the reward (symbolized by Jade's globe) that they expect.

That isn't too say I'm upset with this turn off events. I'm with Aradia, I just wanted to see what happened when Hussie went with Alexander's solution to Homestuck's Gordian knot.

And it's just my interpretation after all. A final thought on a comic that I once read and had fun with.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 13, 2016

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Detective Buttfuck posted:

so hey, someone mashed the ending together with that Roundabout song on Jojo credits, works surprisingly well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmhs5wwJZnY

Thank you for sharing this, the true ending of Homestuck.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh no. Not again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Candy was very draining. It helped a bit when the PoV switched to Roxy in order to point out that John's ongoing breakdown had been screwing with his interpretation of events. It was still pretty messed up though.

So, what do you think is The Moment where Homestuck 1.0 lost the plot and that Dirk intends to undo?