Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, hey, a new thread. Glad I decided to check in before the day of days.

Just to weigh in, I hope the flash is indeed animation so I can watch it in the morning before going to work (assuming it's not like 20 minutes long, as well assuming it goes up early 10/25).

It's been a really weird two months, but I think having the thread closed was a good idea. Since I don't really follow formspring/tumblr/twitter or really any kind of Homestuck news outside of these threads, what insanity went down during the downtime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couple of quick bits:

1. loving amazing.

2. Dog Tier Jade was pretty badass.

3. Very much saddened by AR and WV. Also Karkat sadly had pretty much no screentime, although him pointing Terezi in the right direction was great.

4. I'll have to rewatch it, but the first time through I did not get any sort of feeling that Aradia (or the Derse dreamers) were actually LE agents. Aradia was probably just happy to see the humans in person at last. She didn't even want Rose to go through with the plan at first, and last time we saw her she was harping on how she had to help them out. Sure you can handwave away a lot of her comments throughout the story as "Sure, that's just what a double agent would say at that time", but I don't buy it.

E: 5. Do we still not know how PM was exiled???

Wanted to play it safe until a mod steps in to say "yes stop tagging spoilers you dorks."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Walliard posted:

If J has my name I will be so disproportionately happy.

In other news, I made a utility for assigning appropriate artist metadata to Homestuck music. It's pretty basic, but it may be relevant to some interests around here.
I haven't tried this out yet but this is a great idea. What does it use to identify a file? I usually download FLAC versions for archiving and then re-encode back to mp3, so I assume those encoded files wouldn't work. Unless it's just using the track name or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Walliard posted:

It uses the track title metadata (with special cases for Frost and Light), so it should work if that was preserved between conversions.

Also, Heart and Mind hoodies are available now.
Oh cool, guess we'll get to see the other symbols after all!

Wonder what Void and Hope will be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ominous Jazz posted:

Does Dave going god mean that he also merged with Dave Sprite? Because we don't see the change we do with Jade.
No, as they are two completely different/separate people.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

Still don't understand why Bec Noir exiled himself, don't know why he knew that'd take him to earth, don't know why he killed all the exiles (well okay besides he likes killing folks), don't know why he knew which device would take him to the troll session, don't know why he used it to go to the troll session and destroy everything there.

Basically, I can see what happened, and I know it had to happen, but I don't know why it happened.

Oh, and PM dragging WV's corpse with her is going to be relevant some how. Maybe... taking Jack's ring and putting it on him will bring him back to life? Maybe something else will? It seems odd she brought the corpse with her if it's not going to serve some sort of purpose.

At least the White King and White Queen were together again for a moment.
"Only he knows", but I'm going to guess that Jack simply knows a lot due to his First Guardian prototyping.

Forer posted:

So wait. Dog tier shrank the Lohac and brought it along through the fourth wall... The thing that contains the mechanism for resetting the universe and is either active or about to activate or something

What?
It seems to me that the scratch's activation doesn't necessarily directly affect the planet/session in question where it occurs, rather the effects will be transmitted directly to Bilious Slick. So the scratch goes down on mini-LOHAC, and elsewhere Bilious Slick is reset. I guess. If the scratch had gone down normally with all the planets still retained in their normal incipishere, as it did with the Trolls' ancestors, then the Sburb session and its planets and battlefield would have also been reset by virtue of still being tied to the universe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am a little disappointed we didn't get to see the battle between DD and Dave/Rose.

Chunky12345 posted:

So why didn't Dave become a bird? Is it something weird with how Derse God Tier works? :psyduck:
Why would he? Jadesprite is Jade's actual dreamself, but Davesprite is a completely independent individual from Alpha Dave.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The "sprite edit" Aradia received is just the same one was before, but with her eyes open:
http://i.imgur.com/ISNkz.jpg

My guess being that Hussie realized she would look silly in that scene with her eyes closed (Sollux got the same treatment).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thundarr posted:

At the end of the Doc Scratch interlude, we learn that Aradia (or possibly her ancestor) is Lord English's Handmaid and herald. Now that the sequence of events needed to summon LE are presumably complete, the kids and trolls are threats to be eliminated!
It is her ancestor:

"Anyway, the last of the twelve ancestors arrived a bit late. In fact, she would cross through her portal six centuries after the descendants had come and gone. There weren't many left to look after her, so she ended up in foster care."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lord of Laughton posted:

Aradia is the Handmaid. Just.. younger.
That only makes sense if we are going to assert that there are two independent handmaidens. Or, somehow one of the Aradias de-ages herself and becomes the other.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Slime posted:

Ok, so it's being speculated that Aradia looks smug because the Green Sun was successfully created and/or Dave and Rose are on the side of English for no reason.

Couldn't she just be looking smug because she's got 2 God Tier buds now? Considering that she probably knew that the creation of the Green Sun HAD to happen due to WEIRD TIME BULLSHIT wouldn't it make sense for her to be happy to have pulled some sort of victory from their defeat?
The other thing is, the Green Sun was already there when Aradia first arrived (via teleporting through Jack right after her ascension). It's not like she could be smug about the "Green Sun being created"...it had already been created, from her perspective.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thundarr posted:

Honestly I never even noticed the supposedly smug smile when I first watched it. I'm just presuming Aradia is going to have a heel turn because of the whole Handmaid thing, which wasn't introduced for no reason at all. Also since the Aradia chilling out by the Green Sun has basically been under Lord English's control for the entire lifetime of the troll universe at this point, it seems pretty unlikely that she'll suddenly say "Psyche! I was just playing possum for all this time!"

As for people saying Dave and Rose are under LE's control too, I have no idea what they're on about.
Are you sure you're not getting the timelines/Aradias mixed up? The Aradia that we know, God Tier Maid of Time Aradia, has only been at the Green Sun since Derse was destroyed. I mean, Weird Time poo poo and all in the outer ring, but it's Aradia's ancestor that has been around "since the beginning" working for LE.

The Handmaid stuff was seemingly thrown in to tie up the loose ends with the ancestors.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really like the notion that it's not that the green sun's creation was the beacon for the trolls, it's that it took a long time for the light to penetrate all the way through the outer ring to reach them. Surprisingly logical.

yellowyams posted:

So since the green sun wasn't destroyed does that mean Doc Scratch is still alive? Or was he killed when the universe died?
I'm assuming he's dead (until he smugly shows up again at least).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Surprisingly, the scratch itself got very little screentime in the flash. Almost felt incidental to everything else. Ideally it should reset the universe and spawn a new Sburb session, but how can that really happen with Bilious Slick presumably dead? Will the completion of the scratch after Jade/John and the planets left simply reset that particular incipisphere? Meaning we'd have a Sburb session with no corresponding universe? Or is Bilious Slick still partially alive, and much of the coming drama will be winning before he dies for good?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

creationist believer posted:

It feels like there's too many clues toward J. being post-scratch Harley. It's either not going to be him or it's going to be him in a way we don't expect. My thought was that maybe the Grandpa Harley we see wandering around the Medium was actually an adult J. who found a way back into the pre-Scratch universe, not this universe's Harley. Except that contradicts a lot of things like all the Giclops and Basilisk trophies he has.
Not to mention the stuffed dreamself Jade would eventually throw into her sprite.

I've more or less given up trying to figure out how Grandpa Harley got into the medium in the first place. Presumably he exited out through a portal, but how he got there in the first place was probably just shenanigans. Probably going to have to file PM's exile under that as well.

E: Jack Noir is technically an exile. I find that kind of funny for some reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's possible that killing Aradia (and maiming Vriska, paralyzing Tavros, and blinding Terezi) also facilitated in some way the mind control/manipulation shenanigans that went on when those characters wrote parts of Scratch's code into their flarp books.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I went from start to current (it was right after God Tier Aradia was having that big dream bubble exposition about Doc Scratch's origins) in about 2 weeks and that was pretty hard. 5 days? Sheesh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's probably the most inconsequential thing but I'm still dying to know how PM was exiled.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wait, is the question why didn't Aradia go straight into a dreambubble after she died for the first time? In addition to being A Special Case from the get go, couldn't it also just be because she hadn't entered the game yet? The Aradiabots, like the Beta Daves, have dreambubbles after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Eiba posted:

Well, we know this isn't the case. The issue here is that you're thinking with straightforward narrative time, when it's a good deal more complex than that.

The tumor used the energy of the destruction of our universe, but only at one point (the final point) in our universe's time line. The past of our universe still exists. Or rather, continues to have existed.

Bilious Slick in the Trolls session (our entire universe, past present and future) was killed by Jack's Red Miles, but only at one point in time- the exile's time. We saw Red Miles creeping into the universe as Jack and PM left for the trolls universe.
Actually this is something that strikes me as a bit inconsistent. From the perspective of the Trolls' incipisphere, all points of time of our universe should be reflected and observed. We see this most prominently with trollian and the trolls' ability to obseve almost any point of the kids' timeline. Why then is it different for Jack and his red miles? Why does that only affect the very end of the universe rather than all points?

The nature/status of the kids' Bilious Slick after the scratch is probably what I am most interested in at the moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is the most logical view of the events and how they relate to each other, but I guess I just really feel the need to see it visually confirmed in the comic itself. That is, that the the scratch has literally revived Bilious Slick. That he was killed but that only affected the universe's timeline at the very end is probably a given, but what the scratch has explicitly done with regards to Bilious Slick's current life/death status I'm not sure is completely clear just yet. But I do think what you have said is the correct interpretation of the events.

I'm also really curious how there might have been some potential interference from the post-scratch universe into the pre-scratch universe, I don't think the mechanics of such a phenomenon have been explored yet. I'm talking about things like Jade's penpal mostly, assuming it is Grandpa Harley.

I guess we also need to see how the broken Deringer, Echidna's Quills, Ahab's Crosshairs, and Zillyhoo wind up in J's hands as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zoolooman posted:

You're not thinking about this given the tools at hand.

He destroyed the universe in the pre-Scratch timeline. The Scratch creates a second, new, divergent timeline. It is to be seen whether or not Jack manages to destroy the universe in its new history, since the device likely didn't send him to the Medium in its post-Scratch timeline.
Wait, no that doesn't make sense. Jack is "already here." "Here" being in the Trolls' incipisphere where the universe's Bilious Slick resided. He does not cease to exist at that location no more than the kids cease to exist. The scratch of the kids' universe shouldn't affect any timeline other than the universe's, meaning the troll universe, troll incipisphere, furthest ring, etc. are all unaffected. Jack does not need to be sent into the medium again because, again, he is already there.

It's the same reason why if the new universe has new iterations of the kids, it will not affect the kids who were able to escape the scratch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zoolooman posted:

I'm suggesting that there's nothing yet in the story to say that Jack will be destroying that post-scratch universe either.
I think there are two notions as to what the destroyed universe / scratched universe mean for each other, and we don't necessarily know which yet:

1). The post-scratch universe is still dead, but it dies at the same point of time (i.e. 413 years after the end of the world). There is thus still going to be a new Sburb session spawned from it.

2). The scratch has reset Bilious Slick and thus revived him, but Jack could destroy him again if PM does not stop him.

Jack of course can't not (ugh) exist because of the scratch, because he was outside of its influence just like the kids and trolls were. In fact he escaped from the medium when he noticed the scratch was taking place, as stated by Hussie explicitly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It looks like the remains of the destroyed universes are just sort of floating around inside of the green sun itself, from the looks of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of DMK, if you're disappointed with LE's current design there's always a possibility he has 2-3 more forms!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of time used, Hivebent only lasted 3 months too. As some who archive binged Homestuck well into Act 5 Part 2, I didn't really have that much of a problem with Hivebent.

As an aside, I was just thinking a little bit more about LE and what he means for the comic going forward. Some of this is obvious, but I feel like laying it all out there helps. Basically 100% of what LE has done thus far only affects the Troll universe, correct? "He is already here" has always only applied to the troll universe. That universe had been marked for his arrival by the defect in the pre-scratch version, ultimately causing a post-scratch version of it to have Doc Scratch and thus LE. But beyond the death of that universe, LE can't actually do anything correct? He's free to move throughout time in the universe he is summoned, but he doesn't seem to be able to jump ship and start mucking around with say the furthest ring. What he can do however is get summoned into a new universe. Perhaps this means that the "next universe" is going to be the post-scratch version of the kids' universe. After all it doesn't seem to matter how the universe is destroyed (whether it's by Spades killing Snowman or Jack killing Bilious Slick). Marked for destruction from the get go.

What I'm getting at is that rather than fighting LE directly, perhaps the way the characters can combat him is to simply ensure that he can no longer be summoned into new universes. Prevent that defect from ever showing up. Or at least not showing up in the Bilious Slick that Jade had been making, and escape there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When Jack first entered the troll session, he threw Cal onto one of the Aradiabots (who then shortcircuited, time traveled back, got hit by a meteor, and was sent to Alternia).

E: beaten

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's also this... http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005381

I dunno, it's always seemed pretty clear to me :confused: You have those two main Aradia conversations, and the two (IIRC) conversations Feferi has with Jade, and that's kind of all you need.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The simple way I see it, this late in the game it makes no sense to suddenly introduce a bunch of new villains. Handling LE by himself will be hard enough as it is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
After all the build up LE has received, if you're not going to give him the spotlight now, when are you?

Besides, all indications are that it's impossible to face him head on like DMK, and that the only way to "win" is through indirect methods and lots of Weird Time poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
TG: oh no
TG: this conversation just got bumrushed by a mudslide of loving awful

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Yonic Symbolism posted:

New antagonists?

Lord English just got here. Can't they just focus on killing him and finish the comic?
But we have no "investment" in Lord English as a character he can't be an antagonist :jerkbag:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

What's that Earthbound game everyone references with regards to Homestuck? That one supposedly had an all-powerful god-boss like Lord English, but the god-boss himself was sort of without character, it was more like an elemental force. The last enemy with a real identity, however, was some other kid much like the protagonists (not absolutely sure, haven't played the game) who was trying to side with the monster. That sort of thinking, basically.
"That Earthbound game"...I'd like to think the Mother series was at least somewhat recognizable these days :(

You are referring to Giygas and Pokey, respectively. Pokey was actually kind of an antagonist the whole game, and IIRC Giygas was actually a character from Mother 1. The Pokey equivalent here if anything would be Scratch, not one of the kids or trolls.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only thing about Cascade that I didn't get the first time was that the tumor created the green sun, which in retrospect is silly because it's fairly obvious. I think that was more due to just the deeply rooted expectations about what the tumor was supposedly supposed to be used for.

Hussie's clarifications were neat, but the only thing that he said that I don't think was exceedingly obvious was Jack's motivations. People were asking "well how did he know to go into the frog temple" or whatever which isn't something the flash could reasonably convey as it is, thus Hussie's explanation was helpful. I don't think the actual temporal logistics of where and how he moved around were that vague, however.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
gently caress it, let's re-do Acts 1-4 with the guardians. I'm game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the nice little touch of having the neighborhood be in full-swing Autumn.

So, what four letter J name will Grandpa Harley get? There can't be that many left? Jake? Joel?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

A couple of questions for the thread:

-Do you think the Scratched universe contains alternate versions of the original kids that are now acting as guardians to the Scratched kids, or is this like X years after the Scratch took place and the original kids BECAME the guardians? Put more clearly: Is J's grandma Alternate Jade Who Never Left Earth, or Dogtier Jade All Grown Up And Still Omnipotent In Like Three Different Ways?

(e: If John shooshed through Jane's window tomorrow in full God Of Breath gear, would it be 13-year-old John and she'd be all "who's this douchebag" or would it be like 60-year-old John and she'd be all "sigh grandpa's off his meds again, those pajamas always look so weird"?)

-How do you pronounce "moive", is it like "mwah-ve" or is it like "moo-iv"? This is important.
It remains to be seen how it will all play out but I expect there now to be two different versions of John/Rose/Dave/Jade, one set being the grown up versions now present and the other set being the ones who escaped.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Betty Crocker in this session probably did not have to raise Jane and J. in the same manner as before. For one thing, their meteors would have to land much later since they are currently teenagers in 2011 as opposed to elderly. This means the "timeline" or whatever you want to call it for Betty Crocker is completely different this time around; presumably she received John and Jade as kids and they are now elderly instead. Thus, Betty Crocker's actions could be different as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheRagamuffin posted:

The fact that Grandpa is named "English" makes me a little uneasy, though...:ohdear:
My thoughts exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cheeseball IV posted:

The titles are on there too.

Maid of Life
Page of Hope

Callin' it now bro is the Bard of Heart.
Haha this is great :toot: