Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nilbop posted:

Also, check out the emblem on his shirt.
Yep, his guardian is almost certainly Scratch/LE instead of Bec this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I kind of wish Jane had be Jill instead; Jade/Jane/Jake, it's too many Ja*e's!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CidGregor posted:

I just want to know how exactly the hell Jake is communicating with Jade across universes when technically his version of the kids' universe didn't exist until the scratch.

(if he is indeed 'J' as it now seems apparent.)
I've been wondering this too ever since it became apparent that J. was going to be Grandpa Harley in the post-scratch universe. Perhaps the answer is surprisingly simple; for example I thought Jack's exit into the troll session was going to be quite convoluted, but it wound up being a simple function one of the Sburb stations already had. Maybe the fourth wall?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Oblivious posted:

As was the kids.
Wasn't the glitch the fact that the pre-scratch trolls didn't originate from their game session? Not that they could not win due to Jack Noir killing everyone like the kids, whose rise to power was seemingly caused by Karkat's improper frog breeding.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

King of Solomon posted:

The Glitch presumably takes different forms, but ultimately makes a session unwinnable. At least, that's how I took it.
It's been a long time since it was mentioned but I don't think an unwinnable session (defined as a session in which the players were not successful) is the definition of the glitch. I think in one of Rose and Scratch's conversations, where they first talk about the tumor, Scratch mentions that the fact that the kids can no longer win is actually of little importance. Where as later during the ancestor interlude, Scratch very specifically states what the glitch is (that the players were not ectobiologically created from their session), and that that was what LE used to mark a universe for entrance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gabriel Pope posted:

Things get weird when we get to Cal, though. Did the Scratch also reset the trolls' timeline so that there's another version of Gamzee currently hating Cal into existence in the dreams of scratched-Bro?
Of course not, the Scratch should only affect the single universe in which it is executed, namely the Kids'.

I think the defense portals don't seem to really "care" what universe they are sending meteors into, whether it's pre- or post-scratch. It's like the same singular meteor was sent back into the universe from the incipisphere, but the destination changed after the scratch. Therefore John's ectobiology session is still the one that spawned the kids and their guardians, it's just that after the scratch they no longer went to the pre-scratch Earth.

What does this mean for the upcoming session for Jane and company? Who knows. Maybe it will be the same sort of problem the pre-scratch trolls encountered. Maybe there is not going to be any ectobiology involved at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

quote:

There is also your magnificent SWANSON. Ron Swanson is the PERFECT MAN. You have tried to order all of the bacon and eggs in a restaurant on several occasions. But your dad never lets the order go beyond the joke level. What a fuddyduddy.
I can't even begin to say how giddy this part makes me :allears:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 13, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, assuming the original kids are present in this universe in some form, and that their roles are roughly the same as the guardians' in the past, then does that mean that Dad is John's son? Craaaaaazy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know this was talked about briefly before, but for some reason the forums search isn't really bringing up the relavant pages from this thread. I can't seem to get get the "right" look of the text just right (observed here: http://mspaintadventures.com/scraps2/mspafont.gif). Whether I turn ClearType on or off, the m's especially still look like a solid black block. It never bothered me before, but of course now that Hussie has pointed it out it does. What's strange is that turning ClearType on/off appears to make no impact on MSPA's font at all, at least not the font used in-comic (for example the archive logs do change when turning it on/off).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ugh so close to a pesterlog come oooooooooon

E: Hemera is apparently going to be her denizen?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since supposedly every session "needs" Space and Time, it would be kind of funny that the Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom session literally depends upon the kids crashing the party and adding their own planets back into the mix to make the "real" session. Like as if Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom's session knew that would happen and thus didn't need to make these new kids have a Space or Time player. I wonder what they would need two battlefields for though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And as for how the surviving trolls fit into all this, there's a good chance they become exiles. God, Karkat as an exile yelling commands at John...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it makes sense for Aradia to remain behind with the dreambubbles. It has seemed thus far that her role is to help those along in that area, whether it's the deceased/dreamers or living folks who happen to show up there like the living trolls and Dave/Rose.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Admiral Lasers posted:

Is it possible that uU is a Doom hero in the same way Eridan was a Hope hero? meaning, his role ultimately was to extinguish hope. Could not uU be a Doom hero in that same sense, since she seems to be all for healing and fixing things?
That is exactly what I was thinking. The implication that I got out of this conversation is that we are actually going to have two distinct sessions, one of the old and new kids, and one of apparently the trolls. If so, then I would have to believe it would be UU plus the trolls we already know. And that doesn't really work unless one bites it, and if one is going to die it will probably be Sollux. Thus UU should be Doom to have all 12 elements present.

As to who she is, for now I'm going to guess a pre-scratch troll that escaped the scratch just like our kids did. Perhaps she is going to be a Seer of Doom and was able to see the consequences of the scratch.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 15, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

So we can't have two doom players, but we can have two time players? I don't think we're going to see Aradia die, although I suppose she might just not be going with the other trolls to wherever they're going.
No, that's the thing, the implication of this pesterlog appears to be that there will be two separate sessions altogether between UU and the kids. If we assume that UU is going to meet up with the other trolls, then they get one Space (Kanaya) and one Time (Aradia) player for their own session.

E: What would be kind of weird about this scenario is that most of the troll survivors are Prospit dreamers, and some would have to relocate to Derse...maybe? Actually that's assuming they get new dreamselves, which doesn't seem likely.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 15, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Prison Warden posted:

Since this pretty much confirms that Jane is Maid of Life, then Jake would be Page of Life and Mom seems to be Void and Bro is Heart, going with what we already know. I wonder what their first part of their titles will be.
Assuming no two roles will be used twice, then the available ones are: Mage, Rogue, Sylph, Thief, Bard, and Prince.

I'm going to guess Bard of Heart for Bro and Rogue of Void for Mom.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

System Pelican posted:

The trolls' sylph is still alive (well, as good as) though.
Again, this is assuming that there is no cross pollination between the trolls and kids. I mean we would already have two Knights, two Maids, and two Seers if they are being mixed together, which means Bro's/Mom's titles could be anything I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, John. Pranking master indeed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Again, though there's some strange poo poo afoot, there's no reason to believe that the scratch that just went down has directly affected the Troll universe and Troll session in any way. Not yet, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ograbme posted:

The whole reason for the scratch was the trolls messing up their frog cloning. If the troll session/universe is unaffected, then B. Slick still has cancer.
The reason for the scratch was because the kids couldn't win and they needed a safe place to escape to that Bec Noir could not reach. Remember the cancer reveal was pretty late in the story, well after the plans for the scratch started, and ultimately even Karkat concluded that rather than a "disease" it was an imperfection in the frog that was personified by the actions of Jack Noir. The kids presumably will be able to easily prevent a second occurrence of his power grab, and thus be able to safely finish the whole game. Even without the cancer, there's a good chance the universe is still going to die 413 years afterwards from Noir's Red Miles, so they still need to escape again. But this time they should have everything under control.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess that's one reason Hussie could have had for making them a bit older.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can feel it, it's a Bro botherlog coming up soon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's definitely weird. Everything about her not only screams troll, but a troll who had the same relationship with her ancestor as the 12 we know. That is, she had an ancestor, but that ancestor lived a long, long time from when she lived. Which further implies the same sort of ectobiological origins and traveling-via-a-gate-during-the-reckoning as the 24 original trolls made by Karkat. So, hmm.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To me, UU comes off as no more omniscient than Jade in Acts 1-4 (due to her seeing visions in Skaia's clouds) or the trolls (due to trollian time shenanigans). As a result, the only bit of First Guardian-ness that I really see in her is her name.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Starmaker posted:

Actually it really strongly hinted at her being an heiress. I actually don't remember the specific line in UU's log, was she outright called a maid? Cus we already have a maid, don't need two maids (but you can always have lots of seers and knights, of course).

Actually I really like Thief of Heart, too.
Well, we will find out sooner or later, but at least Jake's "Page of Hope" matches the pattern observed in his introduction page (which had HOPE and PAGE capitalized at the end). Going by that same pattern, Jane would be MAIDEN (Maid) and LIFE.

Also definitely thinking Life powers are going to come into play here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, in theory one route that we know would work is if his dead dreamself were second-tiered prototyped. Just have to keep the body safe for a while. I doubt that his dreamself will remain dead though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's more likely that Jake's island is populated with FAUNA similar to the troll lusii, if Jake's bedsheets are anything to go by.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was pretty hysterical.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
John, Jade, Dave, and Rose can't travel to this universe yet because out in paradox space their only real point of reference is Sburb sessions (Well it may be different for John and Jade I guess). So when Jane and company start playing, that session will start up and they can then go enter there. Or maybe they are already there just sort of shooting the breeze around Prospit or whatever waiting for folks to show up. The only way they would physically be present on Earth would be if they went through some of Skaia's portals during the reckoning, which would invite a whole slew of other problems.

I suspect we won't see any of the other characters directly until after all four kids have been introduced and at least one has entered the game, maybe when all four enter the game even.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like something exploded in the Jade/Jake tower. Knocked Jake's room into the jungle at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Admiral Lasers posted:

I feel like it should be obvious, but I'm missing this. Who has done this that we know of? Dave and his doomed selves?
All four of these kids are exact ectobiological paradox clones of themselves.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was looking for that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since I wasn't around when Hivebent was live, I can only imagine it featured many posts like that. At least here the new typing gimmicks aren't as unpenetrable. Also we pretty much know and understand the significance of what's happening now, which wasn't necessarily apparent in Hivebent until the very end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I, for one, love all twelve of the little alien children with highly individualized personality disorders.
Yeah me too. I mean sure some are definitely above the others but I think they are all fun!

Strangely the only character in the comic I really don't care about all that much is Rose.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Truly, that is some frightening fauna.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

JAssassin posted:

I thought Vriska's death was considered Just, due to the fact that her actions would result in the death in all the trolls. Is that not true?
It's certainly one particular contributing factor. You could argue many of the other things she had done may have counted towards that as well. I don't think we can really say for sure.

Also the clock was almost certainly symbolic, and had no real "power" over deciding the fate of a given god tier player.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't like considering the clock to be particularly special other than an outside indicator because not only has it been crowbarred into insignificance timeline-wise, but the very universe it resides in was destroyed. So, then, what of our remaining god tiers? Will they now simply die because they no longer have this clock protecting them? Or the inverse, they can't die now no matter what? Why in the world does the First Guardian of an entirely separate universe have a device that apparently decides the fate of all god tiers? I definitely believe this the case:

"If not, then the destruction of the clock becomes more a violent gesture of punctuation to accompany this "divine ruling", like nails being driven into a coffin. Or, like a tolling bell. It's jarring, sudden, and carries finality."

E: Also how in the hell would Slick know it was deciding Vriska's fate? And that he was going to kill her with it??? That's a pretty big reach, even for Hussie.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 7, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rooreelooo posted:

So bro has both a robot version of himself and an AI version of himself. The autostrider has emotions but no body, and the robot probably has a body but no emotions. Seems pretty obvious that the two are gonna be fused together to make a completely self aware robotic bro duplicate.
Robot gets first tied prototyped, autoresponder gets second tiered prototyped. Jake has to deal with him as his guide the rest of the quest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, that was certainly a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I'm still pretty confused with how the scratch has affected Bilious Slick, but for now I think I'm going to go with "Bilious Slick was reset, but he still dies at the same point of time from Jack Noir's Red Miles." Until we are shown otherwise at least. Same frog, same fate.

Also John and Jade could probably not care less about "escaping" from Noir's Red Miles. A Sburb session is completely outside its parent universe's timeline. They had to escape the scratch, not the death of the universe.