Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
I'm just going to assume it won't be up tomorrow so I can actually focus at work (and so I won't cry too much if it actually isn't up tomorrow). Matter of fact, now seems like a good time for a re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Zorak posted:

That's my impression as well. All the kids in this world are non-existent, and all the players of the session that replace them are their guardians, now older and also raised by the masters of the system they'll be participating in basically.

I hope that's not the case. I'd really like to see pre scratch John meet up with post scratch Dad, so they can both be simultaneously reunited with their dead fathers.

Anyways, that wouldn't make sense what with Jade being Jake's grandmother.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The questionable shape on Jake's sheets might be Aradia's ill-fated Lusus.

Or hell maybe it's Falcor, but I don't think he had legs.

I think it's actually Terezi's dragon. You just can't see the head and wings because that part is cut off.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Ice_Mallet posted:

What could have possibly given you that idea?

You know, the oddest thing about this is that in real life Betty Crocker didn't make the Betty Crocker company -the name was made up.

That's what she wants you to think. WAKE UP PEOPLE

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

^^ Troll anime is a highly sophisticated and celebrated art form. Only crass peasants would fail to appreciate its beauty.

Gotta love Karkat's reaction to "we all contributed to the contents of this bucket".

Pessimism fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 23, 2011

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Level Slide posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder what the real life Betty Crocker corp feels about their mascot being portrayed as a female, inter-galactic version of Luca Blight?

They're probably not too broken up about the female part.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Roger Explosion posted:

Also, I put my money on Bunnybot quick-stepping in and getting Jane away at the last second.

Clearly the explosion blew her up and over the tree, concussing her severely. Her character arc will focus mainly on her heroic efforts to relearn how to speak and walk. Also, the bunny has a name, you know.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

creationist believer posted:

I've assumed they were doves since they're a thematic contrast to crows. It hasn't been explicitly stated yet though. Bro and Dave live pretty far from water, I think, so I doubt that they are gulls.

How close do they live to a landfill, though?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Starmaker posted:

So apparently there are some racism problems going on.

Apparently he recently removed a reference to Dave being white from the comic after this sort of blew up. Not really sure how to feel about that.

(It is probably being blown out of proportion but at the same time it's a bit upsetting)

Is Hussie seriously arguing that it's racist to point out that John looks and acts white? Not that I think the comic is racist for not having explicitly non-white characters, but :psyduck:.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yes, traditional media would cast these characters with white rolls. Also I acknowledge they are living in western, traditionally white households.
It’s very reasonable to conclude they’re white. But, when you know the abstract nature of this comic, one where white hair is blond and it is not a 1:1 parallel with earth. How anyone could object to this “aracial” notion? It doesn’t prevent anyone from viewing the characters as they like; it only opens the possibilities, which is more interesting.

Obviously it's possible for individuals with these characteristics and backgrounds to be some race other than white. I think the problem a lot of people are having is the implication that western/caucasian culture is being used as the default blank slate here. It's kind of disingenuous to write kids with european surnames and white suburban cultures and then claim that not only are they supposed to be blank, non racial characters, but that it is actually racist to assume they're meant to be white.

Again, not saying the dude's a racist, but I can see where people are coming from here.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Armadillos! posted:

people are just dropping the term 'white privilege' like it's nothing. Like that in itself isn't a massively loaded racial term and probably quite offensive TOO.

Hahaha, what? No, privilege is a real thing and acknowledging its existence isn't 'probably quite offensive'. Also, pointing out that someone has privilege isn't the same as calling him a racist. Like, at all.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Walliard posted:

You can walk from one dreambubble to the other via shared memories and Dave has spoken to Equius before.

I don't think it even has to be shared memories, since Jade was able to show up to the Troll Dreambubble Exposition Party.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Haha, there is already fan art of Karkat with tiny little wings.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

ArchRanger posted:

I'm really hoping that dead Godtier Karkat replaces future and past Karkat as foils for present Karkat.

For some reason I picture dead Karkat as just being really chill. Y'know, once he gets over the whole 'being dead' thing.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Snollygoster posted:

What surprised me was how Hussie clubbed the reader with Dirk's being-gay-ness. He's left enough hints in the writing up to this update to convict a criminal. I'm not saying he "shouldn't" have gone with being this direct! What I'm saying is it felt like Hussie going "HERE, DO YOU GET IT, STUPIDS?"

That wouldn't make sense, since people were speculating that Bro was gay since the beginning of time.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Gay guys can have male friends who are just friends.

And yet somehow I think that if Jake was female people wouldn't be coming up with so many explanations for how Dirk wasn't *really* into him. V :) V

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Talorat posted:

Nope its totally real. My favorite part is that despite having a supposably gender neutral pronoun in Ze, they still find the need to have a feminine equivalent of Zir. If its a gender neutral pronoun why would you need two of them? :psyduck:

Zir isn't the feminine equivalent of Ze, it is the same pronoun. Ze/zir is equivalent to she/her or he/his. For example, "she took her ball to the park" becomes "ze took zir ball to the park" :eng101: The more you know!

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

ActionZero posted:

I've done a little bit of poking around fansites and the sheer amount of this I've seen is an absolutely fascinating contrast to the usual internet fare of "These people must be gay even though they've only shown normal friendly interaction with each other, here read my John/Dave fanfic that explains their true love".

fakeedit: just found a tumblr post that possibly explains some of this reaction

I think there are people out there who just fetishize the idea of straight dudes making out or something, because there is always a shitload of OMG STRAIGHT GUY A AND STRAIGHT GUY B ARE TOTALLY FUCKIIIGN in fandom but not so much excitement over actual gay male characters.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Argh it's not like we didn't know this was coming but it's still so sad :saddowns:

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

It's that look of dawning comprehension that gets me. Just sort of a slow 'ooooooh poo poo' before the book hits. Reminds me of every time I've seen something about to go nastily wrong without being able to stop it in time.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

No you are not.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Captain Greed posted:

I'm trying to decide if I request to get on the panel and gently caress with the other panelers, crash it with SBaHJ quotes, or simply gouge out my eyes.

When it comes to cons, the only winning move is not to play.

Also, "wincest"? What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Wait, why is Jane trying to get into the study again?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

That's where Dad's computer is that's currently running Sburb.

Oh yeah :downs:. This comic was a lot easier to follow before I caught up.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Jewel posted:

Someone pointed out to me that if UU is the fandom/fantroll, the name/quirk can represent "You". Interesting touch if that is the case.

Also something I don't remember if I've read here or not, but I heard my friend today call Autoresponder "Shades Prick".

Does your friend look at skaianet? They're using it as an image tag now.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Hussie posted:

It’s nicely done, but it’s a drat show for kids. I do some silly poo poo with my spare time but I am not a child.

Well, this actually made me feel a little bad about my tv watching habits.

WHOOOOOOOOOO lives in a pineapple under the sea??

Haha who am I kidding, I love that poo poo.

fake edit: Really interested to see what goes down with the carapace people this time around. I wonder if this universe's WV will be inspired to do any uprising? Maybe not, since Dirk's pretty much got that in the bag. It would be kind of a trip if B1's WV showed up and met himself.

I think if two Jacks met they'd probably just go for a tandem stab attempt, and whichever one had more omnipotent dog powers would win.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

What is scaring the kitties :ohdear:

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

^^I think that would be pretty untenable, what with the wild difference in lifespans.

Nate RFB posted:

I doubt they will turn out to be "actual characters" with introductions and everything

Jeeze, I hope they won't. I mean, as much as I'd love some more background information and everything, I don't think I could stand another 12 (13?) intros.

I do like that they're showing up though. I hope we get to see li'l Rufio!

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

What, did you see a sign out front that said "DEAD TROLL STORAGE"?

Oh thank god for that, I have all these dead trolls and I got to keep the bears from getting into them.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Roxy just executed a pretty nice STRONG JUMP there.

You mean e%ecuted?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Olivia42 posted:

Why does Slick have one robot eye and one eyepatch? Wouldn't spring for a second robo-eye, chum?

What, you think Hussie's made of robotic eyes? The dude doesn't even have pupils.

edit: maybe he does have a second robot eye but he's keeping the eyepatch because it's cool

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Pessimism posted:

edit: maybe he does have a second robot eye but he's keeping the eyepatch because it's cool

Called it!!! Sort of.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

JT Jag posted:

I get the strong feeling that were he not stuck in a dream bubble, the first thing God Tier Eridan would do is find a less embarrassing, purpler change of clothes

Nah, you can change your clothes pretty easily in a dream bubble.

Also, isn't Light tied to fate? Or at least fortune, which is pretty closely related.

Cleretic posted:

It's probably good that either bacteria can't live on the station, or that carapace people don't decay, though. WV's been dead for a year, surely he'd have started to smell otherwise.

I think that's a memory, not what's literally happening as Karkat types. Especially since Karkat is there and he's not typing (but it could be a different Karkat! But it probably isn't).

Pessimism fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 13, 2012

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

RedMagus posted:

Really, I'm getting some persona 4 vibes reading all this.

Poor Karkat though, the guy really has a hard time coming to grips with all this. He seems pretty lonely as well, or maybe he's so drat tired of yelling at no one who'll listen to him.

What could be worse for a guy who hates himself than to not only be contacted by past and future versions of himself, but also who knows how many dead selves from other timelines?

Oh man, I really hope there is a multi-karkat page coming up at some point. Like a memo party, but better.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Dolash posted:

Interesting to imagine there were doomed timelines where Eridan and Feferi overcame their troubles and went God-tier, even if it still didn't work out (they died). Kind of sad really that Eridan only became the huge rear end in a top hat that he is/was due to fate deeming that to be the Alpha timeline - it'd do a lot for Alpha Eridan's sympathy if we were to hear him bemoaning the fact that the only way he could be a better person was by dooming the timeline.

Bullshit, Eridan was a douche from page one and getting all murder happy was completely in character for him. I really can't see him doing some tragic soliloquy about how he must sacrifice his personal goodness to save the timeline or whatever.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

snucks posted:

I think the big character development reveal for Karkat will be us seeing him smile. Of course, that's not gonna happen until the very last pages of Act 7.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005994

:colbert:

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

At this point I can only assume Karkat just secretly enjoys getting into verbal slapfights with himself. I mean, from the sound of things, everyone else is just kind of tired of listening to his rants, so who else is there?

...man that's kind of depressing actually :smith:

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Hussie likes using troll blood colors for non troll blood objects. The cover on that book Rose is writing in is Kanaya's color, for example.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Does discounting a really stupid theory count as calling it? Cause if so, called it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Dang, I thought I was going to be the one to point out an update for once. I'm only even awake because I had a really hosed up nightmare and need to distract myself for a while before going back to bed. Don't you people have jobs?