Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Doesn't saying they got there four centuries ahead of everyone else imply that it was four centuries before everyone else? Maybe that should be worded differently. (:goonsay:)

e: also, I just realized that when Dirk said antediluvian he was speaking literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

dude, don't touch my cape

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are people acting like Karkat is acting differently or whatever? Turning into Eridan? What the hell is this, just because his vitriol is directed at Dave who we like?

Man this is how Karkat has been from day 1 just this time he's manning up and trying to confront his problems directly for once. And it's still hilarious.

It's a joke about how Eridan did the same "appearify suddenly, knocking Kanaya off the platform" thing right before fighting Sollux.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

This is the best series of updates since the bucket incident from the last intermission. I'm crying over here.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

team overhead smash posted:

gently caress, just read the entire thing in two marathon sessions after hearing good things about it. I really really wish I hadn't heard about it until it was over, because now the waiting for updates is unbearable.

Especially when the last few updates were loving genius.

Just wait until the next hiatus. That's when the cabin fever really starts building up.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

If anyone feels inspired to make an avatar out of Rose making off with the troll smut book, uh.... dibs.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Penis Ouija posted:

Have at it.

(Was a rushed attempt, so I may well have hosed something up that I just didn't notice yet.)

Niiiiice, thanks! I'll grab this as soon as I think of a title text.

I like how Kanaya is just zooming in on an auspiticing opportunity like it was a free sample at costco.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

"Oh hey, 54 new posts wonder if there's an update?"

But there wan't. It was something much, much better. (Expect to see ads for the short story I'll be writing about this experience shortly!)

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Behold my new avatar!

behold avatar? y/n

(Thanks Penis Ouija! You are as helpful as you are well named)

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just figured he bought enough shaving cream to last him the rest of his life, so he'd never have to go shopping again.

Yeah but he was at the store like every fifteen minutes for more cake mix. The dude's life was basically baking, shaving, and being proud of his derpy son.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Oh John, don't get used to being surrounded by guys who are dumber than you. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

It's going to be an A1 troll, and John's just gonna be all like, pff oh it's you again.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Pessimism posted:

It's going to be an A1 troll, and John's just gonna be all like, pff oh it's you again.

Just wanna point out that I called it. Sorta.

Anyways, I wouldn't think much of John's dismissal of Vriska (and would agree with it actually) if the rest of his conversation with Jade hadn't been peppered with abandonment anxiety. In the context of him fretting over not ever seeing Dave or Rose or any of the trolls they know in the dream bubbles and also wondering if his friends will be better friends with the trolls than with him when they all meet up again, it does seem as though he might care a bit more than he's letting on. Add that to the fact that Jade seems to be getting closer to Davesprite than John is (I assume, since she's the one who noticed that there are differences between his and Dave's personalities), and you can't blame John for being a little lonely.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

He lives in a spirited horse calendar.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Boneless Jogger posted:

Forgot to mention this earlier, but while I'm not sure Andrew would introduce all of the A1's ancestors I'm thinking that he probably will give more info on A1 Karkat at least. If only to explain the Cancer symbol necklace Aranea has. It seems unlikely to me, but I guess that could be for the A1 equivalent to the Signless though.

She did say she watched the whole A2 history play out. Maybe the necklace is just a fangirl thing she materialized after she died. Or maybe it's just her way of showing support for her coplayer's scratched counterpart. Who knows? I have a feeling it'll come up though.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

April fools day 2010 was [s]Dave: Accelerate and March 29 and April 2 2011 were [s]Seer: Descend and the following flash where Slick shows John his stabs.

Man, I guess I've been caught up on Homestuck for about a year :toot:

What so they both had to do with John dying? Big deal, like half of this comic is about John dying.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

God Tier Hussie.

please be a bard please be a bard please be a bard

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

To be honest, neither of them seems very mirthful to me.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

So while we're all listening to the new album and waiting for the updates to resume, I thought I'd mention that I saw this last night and couldn't help but notice a few... similarities to a certain comic.

It was a pretty good moive; I recommend it.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

^^^ :smith::hf::smith: we are the 1%

Argh it's cascade all over again. How are all you assholes getting this to load??

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

That game was so awesome! I really, really loved the eerie emptiness of it and the music was perfect. Now I want to go buy Myst since everyone's saying it's so similar. I wish I hadn't gone through it with my boyfriend though. He has played puzzle games his whole life and solved everything right away before I got a chance to think about it :(. If another one of these play through things ever comes up, I'm keeping it to myself!

Have we heard any of that music before? I haven't really been keeping up with the fan albums.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Snollygoster posted:

My first thought was "welp, Hussie's got the tg/tf fetishist crowd in his back pocket now."

Dare I ask what this is?

vv Makes sense. The tf was throwing me off.

Pessimism fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 18, 2012

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Elysiume posted:

He's not saying it's a fetish, he's saying that people fetishize it.

Yeah, If you ever look at fanart, there's like a million "Here's all the boy characters as girls!!!" pictures out there. There's clearly a group that gets off on that.

Uh, not that I ever look at fan art of course. I was just holding it for a friend.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Dang, I was really hoping we would get a little more sprite horror out of that. Still, probably for the best I guess.

Wonder if this means none of the new kids will get to have sprites at all? They already don't get consorts or (apparently) imps. Poor things :(.

snucks posted:

I wonder how long it took Hussie to decide to kill off Tavriskasprite.

That was probably the point of this all, plot-device-wise. That, and to get rid of a couple Chekhov's corpses.

NEXT UP: Sollidan??

I want to see Sollidan prototyped so he can just spend the entire game bitching at himself.

Pessimism fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 19, 2012

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Oh poo poo, I just realized the B1 kids still presumably have Bro's body, right? And Jake has (probably now defunct) Brobot? Come onnnn, double Brosprite!

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

I don't know if I can handle finding out what happened to scratch Rose and Dave :(. Not after reading troll ancestor torturepalooza.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

So does this mean we can all stop speculating that Jake is gonna turn evil and become lord english? I mean I know we all love thinking that the characters are going to spontaneously turn all hitleresque in this thread but god drat.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

A complete lack of evidence towards someone being Lord English and even evidence that says otherwise never stopped us from theorizing ridiculous bullshit before.

My favorite thing has been going through the old threads and seeing people jokingly suggest that LE was going to turn out to be Big Cal.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Nah, it just added more fuel to the fire. Now it's going to be a closed time loop. I don't think Jake himself will become Lord English, but he will play a part in the creation of him. Guaranteed.

Well sure, creating him, that's plausible. I'm just sick of the "X is turning evil!!!!1"theories that crop up at the drop of a hat. Weird causation shenanigans and time loops are par for the course, but Hussie has never had his characters start acting wildly out of character just for the sake of a surprising twist. Even grimdark Rose wasn't evil, she was just really pissed off and also gray.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Wrist Watch posted:

Question:

Which Vriska got fused into Tavriskasprite? If it was Alpha Vriska, wasn't she with Beta-John or something? The answer is probably just shenanigans, but if she had been hanging out with Beta-John this whole time I would have thought she'd make a comment it or something.

Well it has been a few years. Surely they can have some alone time, even if they have been hanging out a lot.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

I suspect you don't know much about dog breeds (Bec/Halley is not a terrier).

You are the best at appreciating jokes! (you are the worst)

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Eikre posted:

Yeah, okay, not that I care about this too deeply as it transpires in the comic, but this isn't how the designation "species" works. When your species has one gender, and your only method of procreation is by inseminating another species that also has one gender, that is not a one-gender relationship with another species. That is a two-gender relationship with the other gender of your own species. That's how those words work. Modern biologist will very explicitly back me up on this.

WARNING: BIO-SPERG A COMIN'

Welllll, not quite. The link you provided is a really cool example of sexual dimorphism, but you're still assuming that "boy impregnates girl" is the only game in town when it comes to sexual reproduction, when really it isn't. Obviously many species lay eggs instead of getting knocked up, plus there are a handfull of species where the males actually are the ones who get pregnant.

So, what makes a male a male and a female a female if dude pipefish are the ones havin' the babies (and they are)? It all comes down to gamete size. The very simplest form of sexual reproduction came about when little primordial critters started branching out into two groups: one group made big gametes (eggs), and another made little ones (sperm). Biologically speaking, whichever sex makes bigger dna packets is considered female, no matter who carries the kids.

I don't think the mother grub is supposed to be the female of the species, since it's implied that she isn't actually contributing dna, just sort of cooking it. It's theoretically possible that mother grubs actually are another species with a separate evolutionary lineage that just entered a very close symbiotic relationship with trolls. What about the imperial drones? Different species or just specialized morphology? Who knows? They're aliens in a webcomic that is written by a guy who is way less spergy about biology than I am, and I'm not going to try to apply the principals of sexual reproduction to them because a) it probably wouldn't make sense and b) I don't feel like thinking that hard about cartoon baby making.

END BIO-SPERG

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

No, see, those are all still fish. There is no taxonomist on earth who would put a giant butterfly grub in the same phylum as an erect quadrupedal vertebrate, let alone the same species.

Taxonomists classify species based on evolutionary lineage, not just what they look like. Some species have such massive differences in morphology that taxonomists thought they were different species until dna testing could verify that they were actually the same. Would you see a species containing giant butterfly grubs and also humanoid forms on earth? Not likely. In a webcomic? Sure, why not? Not saying this definitely means they're the same species and not symbiotes, but it's possible.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Cabbit posted:

Hey, apropos of nothing, don't use this like that.

I think he was referring to that post comparing all the "I don't care about troll sex biology but..." to "I'm not gay but...", not using "gay" as a synonym for "lame".

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Sounds more like a job for AR.

Oh please oh please oh please oh please :dance:

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Andrew Hussie is known for his great love of horses.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Can Kanaya see brain ghost Dirk? She's looking over that way. Or is she just scopin Aranea?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

He's going to tear himself out of UU somehow, Jebus goddamn Christ.

I figured he just meant he was going to ectobiologically create himself today. But whoooooo knooooooows?

Also it's pretty ominous that he said he was watching this part of the kids' history because he likes it when people die. And kiss.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

I wonder if the dead dream bubble inhabitants go to a regular, non players-only afterlife? That would be pretty :unsmith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Guys, it's been almost three weeks. My F5 finger's getting itchy.