Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

Things get weird when we get to Cal, though. Did the Scratch also reset the trolls' timeline so that there's another version of Gamzee currently hating Cal into existence in the dreams of scratched-Bro?

Gamzee (or more specifically, the Subjuggulators) acted essentially as agents of English through their actions by perpetuating that aspect into the session.

Given that it's highly likely that the post Scratch version of Earth includes a Lord English summoning device, it's highly likely that they don't need anything other than English himself to cause Cal here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

FaceTime posted:

So this basically proves that Betty Crocker also made the game software?

She adapted it. Again, the universal game software is self creating. When you have something create itself, you don't need someone who "makes" it originally.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Are we supposed to interpret this as "Jane has never seen Little Monsters" or as "Trolls, and thus Troll actors are commonplace"?

You are supposed to overtly be pondering this in your head. It's ambiguous. That's the point, I think.

I think if there are trolls present in this world, it'll be the case less that they use their frog to create a new session, and more that they use their God Tier powers to prevent the world from being annihilated at all. Since a planet with Trolls and humans both living up ins would be kind of an ideal for both universe's survivor's.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 13, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

I had completely forgotten about that little snippet of commentary on the bizarre human anathema of incest. In any case, all aboard the steamboat JanexJake I guess. :toot:

They're not actually brother and sister though. Jane and Jake are paradox clones of themselves, there's no genetic sharing at all like Jade+John / Rose+Dave

The point is more that they were both adopted by the Batter Witch and a certain Colonel. That's why they're "brother and sister"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It's interesting that Jake thinks he's sending the gift back in time only, rather than back in time and across universes. Obviously he's being fed information, but not very clearly. And he's said his arm was twisted in his letter -- plus, as it was put in the recap, "The gift was the pen pal's idea, and he himself was coerced into the plan by someone else." HMMMM.

That does seem to be the case and explains a lot. But it also raises a ton of flags. Curious flags.

Also, with regards to the confusion re: "the characteristic glitch", I thought that this was a given to be Cal? What since Cal exists in multiple self-creation loops of indeterminate causation, basically a self-creation infinity loop. Assuming he's dimension hopping like he is time hopping, Cal needs to be in each session in order for his "vessel" to be constructed, no?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

Oh god damnit bro is gonna be a brony :(

Well, he was a smuppet fan pre-Scratch. Being "ironically" terrible is kind of Bros gimmick.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A Pretentious Owl posted:

I really like Ruby for Mom, though my vote is still going to (marga)Rita Lalonde.

Jack Noir, do you know who killed Rita? Rita loved alcohol...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Condesce. We're not dealing with OUR Condesce. Judging by the troll we just met, in fact, I'd hazard to say she's on our side

There's a pretty good chance UU is from the sequel session to this one, ie the victory session. Their username implies it pretty heavily, since it implicitly means "Hidden from the light of the Green Sun" given how uranium has used thus far in the game.

Which would mean UU is a descendant from one of our already known trolls if that's the case!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Or Thomas. I'd much rather have Guy Fieri than Clarence Thomas.

Guy Fieri's very overt homophobia and racism may actually make him worse.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Oh my god this chatlog it is the perfect hybrid of Dave + Rose + Alcoholism fuuuuuuuck

e: I love that Rosemom thinks the same thing of Rose that Rose thinks of Rosemom in the same place.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm looking forward to the collective "YOU'RE [MY FAMILIAL RELATION]" "NO, YOU ARE MY [FAMILIAL RELATION]". It's going to be a delightful moment of dual confusion.

Rose and RoseMom in particularly is going to be a delightful festival of passive aggressiveness and denial.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Edit: ^ That's creepy.

You think that's creepy? That's just a funny coincidence.

THIS is creepy:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sunrise-tacos/59a488c0-4ff0-4e0f-8ac1-3f0921bcd866

also pretty gross

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Admiral Lasers posted:

I don't think they know that they're related!

They're not. Their genetic information was "mixed" to create the kids from the previous session. That means they're not related, lest the kids themselves are sadly inbred.

Jake and Jane in the previous session were raised as siblings, but weren't actually related. Each is the paradox clone of themselves.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cabbit posted:

.. Wait a tick. If every session needs a Space and a Time player, who the hell will fulfill that roll post-Scratch? If the post-Scratch kids are going to fill in the spaces emptied in the spectrum of elements by Eridan, Feferi, Equius, and Nepeta, that doesn't leave any room for the required roles.

Because the sessions are generated backwards from an intended outcome through causality, the presence of the pre-scratch kids capable of fulfilling the roles means that it'd be unnecessary to have redundant roles.

Causality is funny like that, especially when it operates both on "narrative necessity" within a story itself. So even though the game will still likely be a four person session, the presence of the additional four kids, backwards prognosticated, means the pre-Scratch kids will feature into the internal mythology.

Sort of like how all of the books in that library in Skaia knew the Sovereign Slayer was going to occur even though he was an aberration to the normal structure of the game, and that the kids would eventually cross the "yellow yard". When everything rolls backwards through time to create set outcomes, all roles are ultimately preordained one way or another, even pointless ones!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 19, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

HalfHazard posted:

So since it is probably an eight player session, is that going to mean that the Scratch kids and first kids all have to enter in a chain, or could it be that just the four Scratch kids make a chain, and then Jade just slaps the planets she brought with her into the new Insipisphere? What would the ramifications be for entering the game twice? Would John and company get new kernelsprites, what would be the deal with their Gates, etc?

Nothing says it has to be eight players entering normally for the other four people to fulfill roles in the game. After all, the guardians assisted the kids in the pre-Scratch session, even though they lacked roles. Here they possess roles, and predestination means they'll fit into the overall structure just like the guardians did.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

What's always kind of bugged me is how there is more than one universe, or rather calling them multiple universes. Isn't that impossible?

No? From a purely scientific standpoint there's no reason there can't be more than one universe. It's even possible we can detect the effects of external structures outside our universe affecting our own (possibly other universes).

Time travel on the other hand is a bit of a different conundrum.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 21, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It will be incredibly weird if Janedad has a crush on AdultRose like Johndad has on AdultRosemom. That's a cross-universe parallel I really don't need to have in my brain.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bobulus posted:

- A1 universe trolls didn't create themselves.
- B2 universe humans have B1 items.

But the post-Scratch Troll universe did create themselves? The first adventure-game-in-asteroid flash thing involved Karkat flashing back to when he created the trolls and the ancestors as grubs. Since such a post-Scratch genesis happened for the Trolls, it seems unlikely that you'd have a different course just for post-Scratch kids.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Well Manicured Man posted:

Poor Tinkerbull :ohdear:

What lusus is next?

As it's worded, there's multiples of everything. He shot a Tinkerbull, not The Tinkerbull.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Gamzee was lost but now he is found. He found Jegus and is on the path of troll redemption by finally coming to terms with his psychopathy via the diamondic relationship he has with his lord and savior slash bro, Karkat.

Whether Gamzee feels regret for what he's done, whooo knoooows. Probably. But so did Vriska about the poo poo she did. Turns out, kids coming out of a culture that emphasizes psychopathy who are genetically very much prone to being psychos can be quite capable of murder! It's done and over with, though.

And nothing says they'll never end up coming back from their dream bubbles anyway.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing about the ____ of Blood hoodie is that the symbol, like the others, doesn't actually look that much like blood unless you're familiar with what it's supposed to be / Hussie's style. It's a diagonal red line with three vertical lines underneath. That's not exactly hugely "ah yes, emo blood" natively, especially since those lines aren't very stylized into very obvious THIS IS BLOOD.

It's obvious to us looking at it why it'd the "___ of Blood"'s hoodie, but I don't know if that's necessarily apparent to everyone everywhere.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Elysiume posted:

I'm not entirely clear what's happening here. Is John seeing the meet-up through Jade? Can she see it?

He's seeing it through her. As we know, First Guardians can act as portals to the Green Sun. That's how Aradia got to the Green Sun/ managed not to get murdered by Jack. Presumably, she's going to cough up the asteroid as a doggy hairball.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Elysiume posted:

So John can get there, but she can't? First Guardians can't teleport there, right?

Yes, Hussie made it clear that they're basically a doorway, what since they channel the Green Sun's power through their body. It may be possible that John could pull them "through" her or something.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Who caaares. Jane is/is not dead and we know for a fact it isn't permanent because she's the faux-protagonist c'mon guys.

Meanwhile, I hope this "talk to them" bit will somehow involve Jade Green-Sunning it up such that John just sticks his head through her torso and so that his disembodied head just starts shouting poo poo about movies at everyone in Green Sun Land.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
OH GOD NO JOHN YOU FOOL

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Amidst this hilarious set of updates, this is actually a little sad. What an exasperated leadership Karkat's has been.

Really, his presence has been ultimately very impotent and pointless. Really, I think the only thing Karkat has ever seemed to be enjoying was being an effective leader and killing monsters. Ergo his existence is kind of pointless now.

I kind of thought his point as ____ of Blood had something to do with his obsession over relationships and poo poo and basically using it to get people to follow him as leader, but looking at how quickly that poo poo fell apart, that may likely not be the case.

Karkat, the saddest troll. The least useful it ends up, the most disliked that are still alive, the one that probably hosed up the most ignoring Gamzee's culpability. And now he has three whole years to reflect on that fact, assuming his inability to keep everyone in line doesn't result in even more murders, just like everyone being left alone for a week-or-so before did.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There's pretty much no way she's not looking up Rose's cloak right there.

Why are you guys assuming the weirdest poo poo from sprites? Come the gently caress on.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Level Slide posted:

If Karkat could shoosh a rampaging highblood into not-rampage, he wouldn't have many problems keeping the peace.

Yes, but he did that a bit late, didn't he. Is he going to have to be literally on pap-shoosh patrol or something? He stopped paping everyone for a week and everything went to poo poo behind his back at once.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dolash posted:

or if I just want Karkat to say an appropriate setup and get brained by the bucket and then cut away.

I want Karkat to get brained by the bucket and knocked screaming into the sun. In his death he'll be totally vindicated.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You know, thinking about it, it's good that there's no trees on that asteroid. I can only imagine how Karkat would be acting in proximity of a stump right now :ohdear:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Honestly, I think him flipping out means that he's finally regained his composure. It's when he stops drowning everyone in a torrent of disgruntled verbiage that something is seriously wrong.

I dunno, he was kind of flipping out too. He's been pretty much constantly flipping out. It's his coping mechanism. Doesn't mean it works.

It's kind of obvious he blames both himself and everyone else that this poo poo happened. Kind of hard to blame him (:v: ) for that. SO MUCH MURDER.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tollymain posted:

Is it just me or is this coming out of left field? I did not see this coming.

I get the feeling Hussie basically just decided he didn't actually want all of the trolls continuing on and is going to now remove even more trolls. Gamzee and Kanaya will kill each other off, leaving us with only the two principal trolls making the journey or something.

e: unless this is a cunning ruse to do the exact opposite

Walliard posted:

So hey, apparently there's another visitor inbound. Jack?

If Karkat paps Jack into submission it will be beyond entertaining.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You know, I wonder if the fact that Gamzee has been storing everyone's body in jars will end up being significant. Like... that every dead troll is canned. Be it for ectobiology or some kind of hero power or weird troll reproduction or WHAT.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

I wonder if it is possible, if the wound is recent enough, to use Time powers to roll a person's physical state back to the point before they were injured? Unless Feferi's ghost attains god-tier and shows up out of nowhere I dont really see how else WV isnt just gonna straight up die here. Unless they time-freeze him until a later date.

Gamzee has been sticking corpses in tanks, apparently. WV's corpse being shoved in a clone tank used to create chess pieces (like him) may save his life. We don't know if it does anything for trolls beyond pickling them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Roger Explosion posted:

Well Manicured Man, you will enter and you will win.

Yes. Aim for the gold, Well Manicured Man.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Waffnuffly posted:

Countdown till people start naming real cats Frigglish.

I would not have a problem with this.

I am guessing Hussie did this purposely. Because people naming their cats after cats that are named after wizards is funny.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You keep on truckin, Hussmaster. This poo poo owns. :patriot:

Also, guys, no seriously, listen to the orangeman. SOPA/PIPA are really loving bad.

https://vimeo.com/31100268

You should DEFINITELY call your Congressmen, and tell them not to support either the Stop Online Piracy Act (Senate) or the Protect I.P. Act (House). They're both awful things that infringe personal freedoms (and bypass due process) and threaten even parody stuff like this very webcomic. Also this very website. The proponents of this bill in Congress un-ironically reflected positively on China's "Internet Firewall" and that if China could do that thing, poo poo, why couldn't we? :downs:

This has both bi-partisan support and opposition, which shows how weird this thing is, and how important your voice is regardless of your political inclination.

:siren: Wikipedia is also blacking out over this stuff, and set up a nice and convenient thing for looking up your Congress representatives, based on your ZIP code. :siren:

It'll only take a couple minutes of your day to call your Congressmen, and we'll all be better off for it! Also: if you're outside the United States, consider buggin' your Foreign Office or equivalent "handles international bullshit" government branch within your country and tell them how much this stuff bothers you, since this stuff WILL affect the Internet for everyone, and because other countries being forced to follow after the US.

Here's a thread about it in GBS with ongoing discussion, and if you'd like to learn more. There's also a thread in GBS where people are posting gifs with the hopes that through sheer power of frames per second we will turn back time and prevent SOPA from even being made.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 18, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Remember that not everyone in Dream Bubbles are dead, or are from the current time. Dream Bubbles exist outside of time, universes, and can be visited by anyone alive physically (as Roxy just did), in their dreams (as we know Rose just did on the Meteor), and are permanently inhabited by the dead (including dead variants of people such as beta-selves, dream selves, etc).

So Karkat appearing there in the God Tier could be any number of things. It could be a delusion, it could be a beta-timeline, or it could just be a current or future Karkat dreaming (or dead) after he reached the God Tier somehow.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Android Blues posted:

He's definitely dead, he has ghost eyes.

He just edited that in so it wasn't us missing it, it was him forgetting :argh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cabbit posted:

So I'm guessing Jaspers is the first prototyping, then Alpha Rose. That'll be a thing to see.

Jaspers won't be prototyped, since he has to be disappearified back to Universe 1 so Rose can prototype him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Potsticker posted:

Could be a new, merged chess piece?

If by that you mean, it could be the offspring of a white and black piece, yeah I suppose!!

It'd be an amusing fakeout on Hussie's part.