Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Jesus said today that he's staying at Sporting for like the 100th time. I don't see Porto paying something around 10 mil for a manager to one of their rivals., that's crazy money.

They haven't won the league in three years, and so far they have jack poo poo prepared for next season, Pinto da costa is desperate enough to try it. Though it may clash with Jesus idea of trying to win the league with all the Big Three(cause he can't coach anywhere else in the world).

Biggest surprise is Renato Sanches in, but with Bernardo Silva injured and Tiago coming back from a serious injury I can see why he was selected. Ricardo Carvalho at 37 is a bit weird.

Way too many midfielders, I wonder who'll play. Moutinho used to be a certainty, but he had a poo poo season.
Very few forwards, but with Danny and Bernardo Silva out I don't really see who they could have gone with. Helder Postiga and Hugo Almeida are old and poo poo. I guess our attack will be Nani - Ronaldo - Joao Mário, which isn't great since it's a winger slotted into the striker position and a midfielder as a winger, but it will have to do.

Is Fernando Santos dumb enough to fall into the Ronaldo Striker trap? (Yes he is)

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I just looked it up and Quaresma is only 32; I could've sworn he was like 38. Is he any good any more?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also these are the 23 players going to the Euro:

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Eduardo (Dínamo Zagreb) and Rui Patrício (Sporting).

Defenders: Bruno Alves (Fenerbahçe), Cédric (Southampton), Eliseu (Benfica), José Fonte (Southampton), Pepe (Real Madrid), Raphael Guerreiro (Lorient), Ricardo Carvalho (Mónaco) and Vieirinha (Wolfsburgo).

Midfielders: Adrien (Sporting), André Gomes (Valência), Danilo Pereira (FC Porto), João Mário (Sporting), João Moutinho (Mónaco), Renato Sanches (Benfica) and William Carvalho (Sporting).

Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Éder (Sporting de Braga), Nani (Fenerbahçe), Rafa (Sporting de Braga) and Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas).

Biggest surprise is Renato Sanches in, but with Bernardo Silva injured and Tiago coming back from a serious injury I can see why he was selected. Ricardo Carvalho at 37 is a bit weird.

Way too many midfielders, I wonder who'll play. Moutinho used to be a certainty, but he had a poo poo season.
Very few forwards, but with Danny and Bernardo Silva out I don't really see who they could have gone with. Helder Postiga and Hugo Almeida are old and poo poo. I guess our attack will be Nani - Ronaldo - Joao Mário, which isn't great since it's a winger slotted into the striker position and a midfielder as a winger, but it will have to do.
Rui Patricio

Cédric Bruno Alves Jose Fonte Eliseu

William Carvalho Renato Sanches Andre Gomes Adrien

Ronaldo Rafa

I think this will be the line up? I'm not sure why we need so many midfielders. Andre Silva and Andre Almeida would probably be better choices for the "guys who will never play but cover enough positions to count as two or three players all in once" slots.

We have a really tight squad, i think we might do good this year. Éder is utter terrible so i hope he isn't the starting strike but he's the only thing halfway close to that position...

And i'm not sure what's going to happen when Bruno Alves and Ricardo Carvalho finally get tired of the National team.

Gigi Galli posted:

I just looked it up and Quaresma is only 32; I could've sworn he was like 38. Is he any good any more?
Quaresma is still very good and he always does his best when playing with the Portuguese shirt. In terms of offensive choices he's probably second only to Ronaldo (which i'm sure if it's a compliment to Quaresma or a dire comment about our offensive players).

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

How Tondela narrowly avoided relegation is great,it was exactly just like leicester last year. imma gonna put a cheeky 5 euro bet on them winning the championship next year, just in case.

Quaresma is legit the biggest waste of talent i have ever seen in my life, if he had the work ethic of Cristiano Ronaldo he would have all the Balon D'ors. He's still pretty (for the turkish league) good.

fernando santos would be insane not to play the Sporting midfield, that thing is a wrecking machine,and Nani and Cristiano just doing whatever up front. Still no plan B though.

Patricio

Vieirinha Carvalho Pepe Eliseu

João Mário William carvalho André gomes Adrien

Ronaldo Nani

and no striker's, for endless 1-0 wins until we become european champions.(actually crashing out at the quarter finals)

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 18, 2016

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Electronico6 posted:

Is Fernando Santos dumb enough to fall into the Ronaldo Striker trap? (Yes he is)

He is. Though I can also see Nani being played in a more central position, with Ronaldo coming in from the left. I guess we'll see.

Gigi Galli posted:

He's still pretty good and still really unpredictable if not consistent, so a good backup. It's crazy how we used to have so many good wingers and now they've all died out, it's all about the midfield now.

Mans posted:

Rui Patricio

Cédric Bruno Alves Jose Fonte Eliseu

William Carvalho Renato Sanches Andre Gomes Adrien

Ronaldo Rafa

I think this will be the line up?

That definitely won't be the lineup. Midfield will probably be Danilo (maybe W. Carvalho, but Santos loves him some Danilo and hell, I do too) - Adrien/Moutinho - André Gomes, with João Mário on the wings. Sanches and Rafa won't start, I'm pretty sure.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That definitely won't be the lineup. Midfield will probably be Danilo (maybe W. Carvalho, but Santos loves him some Danilo and hell, I do too) - Adrien/Moutinho - André Gomes, with João Mário on the wings. Sanches and Rafa won't start, I'm pretty sure.
Yeah true, i dismissed moutinho due to fitness and danilo due to Porto but whatever the choice is, Portugal will have one of the strongest midfields of any squad in France imo.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Quaresma is legit the biggest waste of talent i have ever seen in my life, if he had the work ethic of Cristiano Ronaldo he would have all the Balon D'ors. He's still pretty (for the turkish league) good.

Fabio Paim...

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I was going to say we had a pretty decent team, but then I realized we have no one better than Eder and Eliseu in their positions. Fernando Santos said he would probably go with a 4-4-2, but here's my cheeky 11:

Rui Patrício
Cédric - Fonte - Alves - Eliseu ( :( )
W. Carvalho - Adrien - João Mário
Nani - Pepe - C. Ronaldo

I'd put Pepe as a striker before Eder, at least he can head some balls in. I think Danilo has been better than W. Carvalho this season, but it's probably better to keep Sporting's midfield synergy.

It's going to be hard to predict how we perform, we might not be able to score against weak teams or we might be able to get 1-0 against strong ones. Quarter Finals is a safe bet.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
As expected, Sporting announced today they have re-signed with Jesus until 2019, no change in his salary.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Well hes paid 5 million and four euros per year MBM thats a lot of change.

Meanwhile and acording to the pappers Benfica is aparentely selling gaitan,Jonas,talisca,Ederson and lindelof.we will have all of the Money but no players.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Well hes paid 5 million and four euros per year MBM thats a lot of change.

Meanwhile and acording to the pappers Benfica is aparentely selling gaitan,Jonas,talisca,Ederson and lindelof.we will have all of the Money but no players.

Selling gaitan, Jonas and Talisca is a smart choice because the first two are at the peak of their careers to sell and Talisca is so inconsistent we might as well bag the good millions that will come from him scoring vs Bayern than to let him remain on our team for another year.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

League cup final tonight,17 mins in benfica 2 maritimo 0. Might be the last time we see a bunch of players wearing a benfica shirt.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Benfica is playing like poo poo. André Almeida and Luisão are a loving sieve.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Benfica makes it 3. Grimaldo is going to be amazing,Ederson already is.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Maritimo scores 3-1. This game is a perfect exemple of clown defending 101.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Benfica's Gaitan is finally off to Atletico Madrid for €25 mil, what a player he was. One of the most consistent players of the last decade for Benfica. I guess they think they have a suitable replacement now with Carrillo, but it's a bit of a risky bet that, since he only started consistently performing for Sporting this last season under Jesus.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

After the absolute goal fest that was Benfica 6 marítimo 2,Porto and Braga are playing the cup final,Braga leads 1-0.what an absolute bore of a game.there is no way this Porto team is going to be competitive next year,short of a miracle.

Also i hope Benfica get rafa to replace gaitan the kid is class.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
i like this new Porto.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Me too, im Starting to feel sorry for maxi.

Edit: lol Braga scores.2-0

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

poo poo,Porto scores.dont meltdown now Braga you idiots.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
piss off porto

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
hell, piss on porto

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

this has been the best season

benfica won the league due to defeating sporting at home and having rui vitoria completely clowning Jesus and now maxi pereira has cost porto a trophy

:perfect:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

I want to bottle this season and sell it as Eau de schadenfreude.

Porto is a mess.besides Danilo who is class and Ruben Neves and André Silva who are really promissing youngsters the rest of the team are just garbage wasteman.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 22, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benfica's Gaitan is finally off to Atletico Madrid for €25 mil, what a player he was. One of the most consistent players of the last decade for Benfica. I guess they think they have a suitable replacement now with Carrillo, but it's a bit of a risky bet that, since he only started consistently performing for Sporting this last season under Jesus.

Apparently Carrillo is also being sold? :wtc:

Our national under 17 team won the european cup with only one goal suffered during the entire competition and 15 goals scored.

We always have amazing youth teams, why do they meltdown when they reach adulthood?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Its because its s-17 it means almost nothing.the last time portugal won a s-17 euro the best player on that team was Márcio Sousa.if you're asking yourself "who" , i rest my case. Btw that team had Moutinho as a understudy to João loving Coimbra.and while some players do go on to be fixtures in the A team(Moutinho, veloso) or some ok players (Helder Barbosa,Paulo machado) Most of the o thers will go on to play for relegation candidates or 2nd league teams.because they're not very good.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Btw pages 25 to 28 of this thread are a treasure.meanwhile in football News, nothing is happening. I'm having withdrawal from all the drama of this season.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Btw pages 25 to 28 of this thread are a treasure.meanwhile in football News, nothing is happening. I'm having withdrawal from all the drama of this season.

Just went back and read those pages.. what a rollercoster. All in all a good season, shame we lost the supertaça.

Next season is going to be interesting, hopefully Porto gets their poo poo together so the league is a bit more competitive.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Jesus did revive Bryan's enthusiasm and he's better than ever now, so thanks for that Jesus. Let's see how he does at the Copa América.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo the huge fellatio SIC just gave SLB.. Jesus. This country. The piece literally ends with "and that's why we're the greatest club in the world" but you see since it's a Benfica YouTube video there's no problem it's not like it's SIC saying it!

"Vitória now had to decide how to lapidate the rough diamonds the Best football academy in the world gave him... " paraphrasing here but holy poo poo it's that bad.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

orange sky posted:

Holy poo poo the huge fellatio SIC just gave SLB.. Jesus. This country. The piece literally ends with "and that's why we're the greatest club in the world" but you see since it's a Benfica YouTube video there's no problem it's not like it's SIC saying it!

"Vitória now had to decide how to lapidate the rough diamonds the Best football academy in the world gave him... " paraphrasing here but holy poo poo it's that bad.

Maybe if you had won the league, or the Post Office Cup, or even the Portuguese Cup, or like gave an effort into qualifying for the Champions League and Europa League, then Rui Santos, noted fail rear end sportinguista, would talk about how cool and awesome your club is, instead ya bottled it all ahahhaha

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Maybe if you had won the league, or the Post Office Cup, or even the Portuguese Cup, or like gave an effort into qualifying for the Champions League and Europa League, then Rui Santos, noted fail rear end sportinguista, would talk about how cool and awesome your club is, instead ya bottled it all ahahhaha

No no an interview is ok, I'll even say that showing that piece in SICN as some kind of homage is within the acceptable stuff with Benfica. But this was actually during the news, for like 20 minutes. Go see it.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

orange sky posted:

benfica are definitely the worse thing about portugal and possibly the world, and SIC has always been pro-benfica, that's why I don't watch it and nobody should either

orange sky
May 7, 2007

benfica are definitely the worse thing about portugal and possibly the world, and SIC has always been pro-benfica, that's why I don't watch it and nobody should either

I actually like SIC outside their Benfica obsession though =( but yeah their editorial team must be 100% benfica, hell, part of this piece (about how good the seixal academy is) had played BEFORE benfica had won anything, at the beggining of the season.

I like that they say "Benfica has made over 100 million euros just in 2 years with its academy (!!!) but then you go and see the deals and they're all like this:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pydRIfA-IPc/V0I7HAIVIbI/AAAAAAAAOFA/Bc92JNDoZOkxHb4G5ldt1kbffYC-hbiowCLcB/s1600/elmundo1.PNG

gently caress benfica. Brainwashing fucks.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Still itt a bunch of people confused as to why the tri-champions are lavished with praise and constantly talked about, and nobody wants to talk about a club that hasn't won the league in 15 years and is a non-presence in European football.

orange sky posted:

I actually like SIC outside their Benfica obsession though =( but yeah their editorial team must be 100% benfica, hell, part of this piece (about how good the seixal academy is) had played BEFORE benfica had won anything, at the beggining of the season.

People want to hear about how awesome the champions are, because losers don't sell, and if I remember the start of last season Benfica were still reigning champions. That's what sells, it's called the free market mate. Again, maybe if Sporting won something relevant it would be talked about. Just a thought.

I mean I'll give you that giving any air time to utter human trash like Rui Gomes da Silva is pretty bad, but come on now SIC main sports people are these line up of utter clowns Paulo Garcia, Rui Santos, Joaquim Rita, António Ribeiro Cristóvão, none of these guys are Benfica fans. David Borges and that other moron Carlos Queiroz once punched in the face are, I think, but they aren't on the Vieira boat so they might as well be Pinto da Costa house pets as far Benfica cares.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Still itt a bunch of people confused as to why the tri-champions are lavished with praise and constantly talked about, and nobody wants to talk about a club that hasn't won the league in 15 years and is a non-presence in European football.

People want to hear about how awesome the champions are, because losers don't sell, and if I remember the start of last season Benfica were still reigning champions. That's what sells, it's called the free market mate. Again, maybe if Sporting won something relevant it would be talked about. Just a thought.

I mean I'll give you that giving any air time to utter human trash like Rui Gomes da Silva is pretty bad, but come on now SIC main sports people are these line up of utter clowns Paulo Garcia, Rui Santos, Joaquim Rita, António Ribeiro Cristóvão, none of these guys are Benfica fans. David Borges and that other moron Carlos Queiroz once punched in the face are, I think, but they aren't on the Vieira boat so they might as well be Pinto da Costa house pets as far Benfica cares.

Ahahah. There wasn't this much dicksucking even when Porto was 5x champion. I don't mind giving Benfica the credit, at all. They've earned it, they're a great club and team. I acknowledge that they earned the right to praise through pieces on the team.

But this piece especially was ridiculous.

"Vieira never had to tell this to Vitória. He actually didn't have to tell him much because since the beggining they felt... A telepathic connection between them."

Ahahahah. My God.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

orange sky posted:

Ahahah. There wasn't this much dicksucking even when Porto was 5x champion. I don't mind giving Benfica the credit, at all. They've earned it, they're a great club and team. I acknowledge that they earned the right to praise through pieces on the team.

But this piece especially was ridiculous.

"Vieira never had to tell this to Vitória. He actually didn't have to tell him much because since the beggining they felt... A telepathic connection between them."

Ahahahah. My God.

This is what winning fells like. Cause back in November the same folk were calling him a clear casting error.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
after watching what RAP did on last saturday's Governo Sombra I only wish I could care about things with that intensity.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah that RAP piece was great. Hes still right though, it was a massive Gamble that almost backfired.
The sic one was crap, but lol that dicksucking is all SIC's own doing, they basically shited all over rui vitoria until january.this is Just their attempt at getting on benfica's good graces again.Rui Santos is a piece of poo poo reporter.

Ps: i keep reading "Seixal academy" as sexual academy.still excited (no homo)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Mans posted:

you didn't see the last three games against Moreirense? :v:

everything's perfectly fine, Moreirense always does the whole score and then lose gimmick and we were prepared for that. We scored seven goals in two games, the team is building up confidence and we even got an accessible CL group. Everything's going our way.

Never in doubt my friend :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw are we also using this thread as the thread where we talk about the Euro cup winning team of Eder and Anthony Lopes?

• Locked thread