Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I think I just broke my mind. I and someone I know both applied for the same 'testing' position at a local company. I applied on Jul 31st, he two days ago. He has an interview for the job tomorrow. I haven't heard back. His resume is a text file which breaks every known resume rule, including references, ethnicity, and a single, short line description for every job. Mine is a fancy job adapted from having purchased one from Resume to Interview.

I wish him the best of luck and all, but I just don't understand it. I don't know if I should do him the favor of 'touching up' his resume or just print out the .txt file because that's what got him the interview. I don't know anymore, this day has already been stressful enough with having to (almost) ride out a tornado at my current job.

edit: He also has things like "Team Work" and "Leadership" listed as skills. I'm starting to think someone up there doesn't want me to have a good job. :negative:

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

YF19pilot posted:

I think I just broke my mind. I and someone I know both applied for the same 'testing' position at a local company. I applied on Jul 31st, he two days ago. He has an interview for the job tomorrow. I haven't heard back. His resume is a text file which breaks every known resume rule, including references, ethnicity, and a single, short line description for every job. Mine is a fancy job adapted from having purchased one from Resume to Interview.

I wish him the best of luck and all, but I just don't understand it. I don't know if I should do him the favor of 'touching up' his resume or just print out the .txt file because that's what got him the interview. I don't know anymore, this day has already been stressful enough with having to (almost) ride out a tornado at my current job.

Having a pretty resume is not the advantage you seem to think it should be.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Nippashish posted:

Having a pretty resume is not the advantage you seem to think it should be.

I'm not talking "pretty" vs. "rough". I'm talking about having a professional and well thought out resume vs. one that looks like it took all of five minutes to put together. It's about all I've got outside of my (thus far) worthless and useless network, so pardon me if I take it a little seriously.

Ah, well, doesn't matter; I've got an interview with another staffing agency about "potential opportunities with clients" coming up. Maybe this time they'll do more than just blow smoke up my rear end for a week then never speak to me again.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

YF19pilot posted:

I'm not talking "pretty" vs. "rough". I'm talking about having a professional and well thought out resume vs. one that looks like it took all of five minutes to put together. It's about all I've got outside of my (thus far) worthless and useless network, so pardon me if I take it a little seriously.

Ah, well, doesn't matter; I've got an interview with another staffing agency about "potential opportunities with clients" coming up. Maybe this time they'll do more than just blow smoke up my rear end for a week then never speak to me again.

A professional resume is important, but it matters a lot more for some fields than others. Between two resumes with similar content, the one that is well-made will get the interview 10 times out of 10. I suspect that your friend's resume had better content (more experience, or more relevant experience, more of the keywords they're looking for, and so on).

If not, it's also possible that the hiring manager was so lazy that he only went through a portion of the submitted resumes and liked the content on your friend's resume the most out of those, and yours was in the pile that he didn't bother to look at. I don't believe that this sort of thing happens as often as people think that it does, but I'm sure it happens occasionally. Either way, best thing for you to do is to move on to other job openings.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Maybe they wanted the shittier resume because it's a crappy job with low pay (at least compared to other options)so they assume anyone that can put together a nice resume won't stick around.

I mean there was a law suit against a police department for excluding candidates that were too smart because the logic was they'd be dissatisfied.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, without knowing more about the contents of your resume and his, I don't think you should chalk this up to "his ugly resume got picked over my pretty resume". All things equal, the more professional-looking resume will get picked first but content is more important than how a resume looks (I also used R2I and the most valuable part of that process for me was learning the level of detail needed to make a good resume a great one). And maybe your resume wasn't even read by human eyes- if it was an online application it probably went through a bot first, who's designed to ignore the formatting and just pull out keywords (a goon in D&D's Lost Generation thread proposed putting a 1-pixel sized textbox and the end of your resume, then copy-pasting the job listing and/or keywords in question a dozen times into that box. Invisible to humans but sends bots into a boner-rage, though I have no idea if it works or not)

I know this firsthand because I still can't get a job, as no one in chemical industry wants to hire anyone with no previous industry experience. I even had a hiring manager call me just to say "we'd hire you for this position but we're looking for someone with a little more industry experience, and not just academic work" :negative: gently caress you lady, just because an acquaintance gave you my resume doesn't mean you need to cock-tease me like that.

So yeah, how do your qualifications match up with your friend's? I'm sure that decided the issue more than how your resumes look.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 8, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How do you know the guy (or his parents) don't know somebody at the company? References and networking counts for way more than a resume.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I don't want to go into too many details about things, but I think it may be the industry. The position involves an industry which this person has worked in for a while, so there is that. Probably just the stress of yesterday getting to me; I had to ride out a tornado (almost) at work, so that was fun to say the least. Sorry for leaking e/n in the thread.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oliax posted:

2. If I saw a candidate for a position I was posting (would be finance for me) who had taken four years to do something else like teaching, my biggest concern would be whether they were really interested in the position I was looking to fill, or were simply applying because it wasn't what they had been doing and didn't like previously. Therefore make sure to include anything in your application that demonstrates your re-commitment to engineering: professional certifications you have reactivated, additional courses you took, etc.

Good Luck!

Thank you everyone for your help!

I found one exciting, no-experience-required :monocle: position and I wrote up a cover letter to go with it. I would love to know what you all think of it!

Dear Director of Human Resources: (recruiting path is obfuscated, can't find a specific name)

I am applying for the full-time <Title> position in the <department>. Based on the job description, my education, and my work experience, I believe that I am an ideal candidate for your consideration.

I have worked both in engineering labs at Rice University and as a Helpdesk technician, which has bolstered my talents in diagnosing systems and mastering new electrical and mechanical technology. Although my degree is 4 years old, my charter school teaching experience has equipped me with customer service skills and professionalism that will be hard to find from younger candidates.

This position fits my long-term career goals of working on HVAC systems as a senior engineer or in new hire training at an engineering firm such as <company>. I am quite excited to start a long relationship with the <product group> of Siemens, and I look forward to speaking with you soon about this position.

FYI, here is the job description:
Responsibilities
• Assist with the startup and commissioning of mechanical systems.
• Work with various <company> customers on several mechanical and HVAC related projects.
• Support and adhere to commissioning and engineering standards in the industry (construction, mechanical and electrical).
• Support and adhere to the documentation process as defined by the engineering Project Manager.

Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- High School Diploma and/or Associates Degree in Electronics or Mechanical Technology or equivalent.
- Ability to travel at least 30%
- Aptitude and ability to learn new electrical and mechanical technologies quickly
- Network Technologies- Be computer literate
- Mechanical Systems

Thoughts?

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

YF19pilot posted:

edit: He also has things like "Team Work" and "Leadership" listed as skills. I'm starting to think someone up there doesn't want me to have a good job. :negative:

I would say at least 50% of the interviews I went on, HR converted my resume to a text file to print out and gave that to the interviewers, so they never even saw how it looked. They usually didn't spend much time reading it either, because no one wants to read a text file that wasn't formatted to be a text file.

And as cheesy/stupid/not though out as it sounds, everyone looks for teamwork and leadership, so throwing them on there and daring them to ask you about it could be seen as a plus. Though if you list vaguely like that, you better have some seriously good examples ready to back that up in the interview.

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

BrianBoitano posted:

Thank you everyone for your help!

I found one exciting, no-experience-required :monocle: position and I wrote up a cover letter to go with it. I would love to know what you all think of it!

Dear Director of Human Resources: (recruiting path is obfuscated, can't find a specific name)

I am applying for the full-time <Title> position in the <department>. Based on the job description, my education, and my work experience, I believe that I am an ideal candidate for your consideration.

I have worked both in engineering labs at Rice University and as a Helpdesk technician, which has bolstered my talents in diagnosing systems and mastering new electrical and mechanical technology. Although my degree is 4 years old, my charter school teaching experience has equipped me with customer service skills and professionalism that will be hard to find from younger candidates.

This position fits my long-term career goals of working on HVAC systems as a senior engineer or in new hire training at an engineering firm such as <company>. I am quite excited to start a long relationship with the <product group> of Siemens, and I look forward to speaking with you soon about this position.

FYI, here is the job description:
Responsibilities
• Assist with the startup and commissioning of mechanical systems.
• Work with various <company> customers on several mechanical and HVAC related projects.
• Support and adhere to commissioning and engineering standards in the industry (construction, mechanical and electrical).
• Support and adhere to the documentation process as defined by the engineering Project Manager.

Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- High School Diploma and/or Associates Degree in Electronics or Mechanical Technology or equivalent.
- Ability to travel at least 30%
- Aptitude and ability to learn new electrical and mechanical technologies quickly
- Network Technologies- Be computer literate
- Mechanical Systems

Thoughts?

Not bad, here's how I might have written it. [square brackets] will need you to insert some specifics:

I am applying for the full-time <Title> position in the <department>. I believe that my experience as a [make up something cool sounding that isn't a complete lie] at Rice University's [John Smith Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering], a Help Desk Technician at [insert where you did this] and as a teacher of [subject] at [Charter School Name], make me an excellent candidate for this position.

During my time at [rice university lab job] I developed [cutting edge expertise in the latest cool engineering poo poo related to this job. Later as a [help desk technician] and [teacher] I learned how to communicate and cooperate with a wide variety of audiences.
Having spent the last four years as an educator, I am now looking for an opportunity to return to my true passion engineering and build my career as part of an industry leader like [company name Siemens?].

My long-term career goal is to build a career as an engineer of HVAC systems, [short plausible clause about why, perhaps something like "a field which I believe will grow tremendously in the next 10-20 years"] This position would be a terrific opportunity for me to develop expertise in my chosen career and I look forward to discussing it with you further.

Best regards,
Brian Boitano

You are on the right track in your cover letter and hitting all the right points, my edits are an effort to "punch up" those points with some insight on WHY you want this job (beyond it being a job) and re-stating your cool professional pedigree.

Hope it helps.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Does anybody know of a good background check service?

What's the best way to find this out? :ohdear:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 15, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
There is no Permanent Record anywhere of anyone's employment history unless you work for the government or something. No one cares about Starbucks. If you really care, call them and pretend to be an employer yourself and ask if you worked there between dates X and Y, they will either confirm or deny. To my understanding, companies don't really talk to each other about employees because it opens up a legal can of worms.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So I'm a senior this year, a chemical engineer at Florida State University. My GPA is poo poo at 2.70, and I have no internship experience. My only research was at my community college doing organic chemistry research. I know I am at a severe disadvantage and need to hit the ground running on applying to jobs starting in September. I am going to finish my resume and linkedin profile when I'm done visiting my family, as well as starting weekly interview practices. I figure I need to ace any interview I do get.

What other moves should I be making, joining clubs? Going to regional AiChe meetings? Willing to listen to any goons that have been in this situation.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I have a bachelors degree in toxicology and some research experience. I've been looking for a job in biology/chemistry and anything related to those two now for over a year. Out of more than 100 applications I've only received 2 interviews and didn't get past that stage. My process has been:

-Look for companies that are biology/chemistry related,
-Find an entry level job that is not sales or customer facing,
-Tailor a resume and cover letter for the job,
-Apply for job.

I make sure I meet education and certification requirements but I ignore the "3-5 years industry experience," because that seems to be tacked onto literally every job I've seen.

Is there something wrong with my process, I feel as if I have a really low success rating so I must be screwing up somewhere?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Xeom posted:

So I'm a senior this year, a chemical engineer at Florida State University. My GPA is poo poo at 2.70, and I have no internship experience. My only research was at my community college doing organic chemistry research. I know I am at a severe disadvantage and need to hit the ground running on applying to jobs starting in September. I am going to finish my resume and linkedin profile when I'm done visiting my family, as well as starting weekly interview practices. I figure I need to ace any interview I do get.

What other moves should I be making, joining clubs? Going to regional AiChe meetings? Willing to listen to any goons that have been in this situation.

What sort of organic chemistry? I finished a Master's (Chemistry) program a couple months ago and I'm looking for a job, and almost every position I've applied to has asked for experience in one of GC, HPLC, or MS. Other instrumentation like UV-Vis or FTIR-NIR do pop up, but those are the big three that everyone in industry uses (there are slight permutations- I looked at an ad calling for someone with UPLC experience, and I interviewed at a lab a couple weeks back that would have had me doing ICP-MS). If you have experience with those, play it up and elaborate on it in your resume. If you don't have experience with those, get it ASAP.

If your organic work was just a lot of straight-up synthesis, then that's useful too but it's not something as easy for HR to check off as "knows HPLC YES/NO". I don't know how useful benchtop synthetic skill is for a chem engineer, but if you did large-scale reactions I could see that being useful for industrial processes (and I have seen a couple of postings asking for "experience doing organic chemistry on >1L scale" so someone out there wants it). So think about what sort of organic you actually did and play up the parts that are most applicable to an engineering career.

Other than that, it can't hurt to make more friends and attend more conferences. But as far as your skill-based concerns go, I left grad school not having done a lot of wet chemistry until my final year, and not having used any of those aforementioned instruments (that's what I get for picking a spectroscopic project that I loved, I guess :v:) so if you want to go into industry don't make the same mistakes I did!

E: It might be worth it to ask around for advice in the BFC Lab Chat thread, if that's the direction you want your career to go.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I have a bachelors degree in toxicology and some research experience. I've been looking for a job in biology/chemistry and anything related to those two now for over a year. Out of more than 100 applications I've only received 2 interviews and didn't get past that stage. My process has been:

-Look for companies that are biology/chemistry related,
-Find an entry level job that is not sales or customer facing,
-Tailor a resume and cover letter for the job,
-Apply for job.

I make sure I meet education and certification requirements but I ignore the "3-5 years industry experience," because that seems to be tacked onto literally every job I've seen.

Is there something wrong with my process, I feel as if I have a really low success rating so I must be screwing up somewhere?

In my experience, when a job listing says 2 years experience or less it's an entry-level position and I have a chance at it as a fresh college grad. I think for "3-5 years" the hiring managers actually want some sort of professional experience.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Ron Don Volante posted:

In my experience, when a job listing says 2 years experience or less it's an entry-level position and I have a chance at it as a fresh college grad. I think for "3-5 years" the hiring managers actually want some sort of professional experience.

Completely anecdotal but I got a 3-5 years position as a fresh grad with no professional experience due to networking. So even 3-5 years isn't completely out of reach if you don't have the experience!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Yeah it varies so much I ignore it for entry level positions.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
How do people fight the feeling of being unfulfilled / uninspired at corporate jobs? I'm giving a lot of thought still to my earlier post, and this is a feeling I keep getting every time I think about working at my current internship company or really any job at a huge company. Am I just being restless?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fluue posted:

How do people fight the feeling of being unfulfilled / uninspired at corporate jobs? I'm giving a lot of thought still to my earlier post, and this is a feeling I keep getting every time I think about working at my current internship company or really any job at a huge company. Am I just being restless?

Your fears aren't unfounded. Working for a huge corporation is a lot different than working for a small outfit and you'll get different things out of each. I think the security and mobility offered by larger companies can sometimes be a strong asset; even in the face of having a position that you don't absolutely love.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It is possible to get a job at a corporation that you really enjoy, but like Bucket Joneses said, what you're feeling is definitely a thing. Especially when you're working for a bank, it's probably not that interesting and there's going to be a lot of bureaucracy. But with your IT/development background, you should be able to move around.

The second thing to consider is the people. Do you like your colleagues? What about your manager? For many people, that's (plus having a stable job that pays decently) enough. Other people want the more relaxed start-up environment. Some really need to have a mission they believe in and feel like they're doing important or interesting work. All are fine.

Looking back at your other posts, here's what I'm seeing.

You moved to a new city for this internship, so you probably don't know that many people, and you said you're not old enough to go out drinking.

The company you're interning at has a bureaucracy, and it sucks. That's true-ish everywhere, but some companies are significantly worse than others. The person you were interning for probably did not utilize you as well as they should have, so that made everything seem worse.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 14, 2013

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Xandu posted:

It is possible to get a job at a corporation that you really enjoy, but like Bucket Joneses said, what you're feeling is definitely a thing. Especially when you're working for a bank, it's probably not that interesting and there's going to be a lot of bureaucracy. But with your IT/development background, you should be able to move around.

The second thing to consider is the people. Do you like your colleagues? What about your manager? For many people, that's (plus having a stable job that pays decently) enough. Other people want the more relaxed start-up environment. Some really need to have a mission they believe in and feel like they're doing important or interesting work. All are fine.

Looking back at your other posts, here's what I'm seeing.

You moved to a new city for this internship, so you probably don't know that many people, and you said you're not old enough to go out drinking.

The company you're interning at has a bureaucracy, and it sucks. That's true-ish everywhere, but some companies are significantly worse than others. The person you were interning for probably did not utilize you as well as they should have, so that made everything seem worse.

Spot on. I'm only in the city for my 10-week internship stint (they were gracious enough to provide housing stipends), so I didn't have too much time to meet people. It's also difficult at times to get to know a lot of people when there's 10,000+ people in your building with an IT staff of 2000.

I expressed to my manager my under-utilization and it was fixed to the best of his abilities, so I was appreciative of that. I did enjoy the people at the company and they go against a lot of "bank norms" (i.e. jeans are allowed all the time unless you're customer facing).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely in the boat of "important and interesting work," so if I get an offer to return for a second internship I'd have to make that a stipulation (we're allowed to put in areas where we would like to work). Appreciate the perspective on these things :)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
also a large part of the important interesting work is just not going to be available at an entry level. Paying your dues is a real thing just because the stuff people don't want to do or are overqualified for (aka "don't want to do") ends up on your desk.

I posted earlier about our intern's big contribution but from my personal experience: I am just now getting a shot at what I actually want to do. Thats after 3 years and one job change where I've done some of the most mind numbing crap imaginable.

I'm talking, updating tax collector's addresses all day boring.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Xguard86 posted:

also a large part of the important interesting work is just not going to be available at an entry level. Paying your dues is a real thing just because the stuff people don't want to do or are overqualified for (aka "don't want to do") ends up on your desk.

I posted earlier about our intern's big contribution but from my personal experience: I am just now getting a shot at what I actually want to do. Thats after 3 years and one job change where I've done some of the most mind numbing crap imaginable.

I'm talking, updating tax collector's addresses all day boring.

I'd rather do that than be expected to work 14-hour days. Yeah, dude, I'm starting my career. I get that. I'll get your coffee if you want me to, I just need to pick up my kid before her school starts charging me by the minute.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

If I got to the interview stage with a company before being rejected and now see another position with that company that I'm interested in, is there an appropriate waiting period I should follow before applying again? Or should I not even bother to put in an application?

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Ron Don Volante posted:

If I got to the interview stage with a company before being rejected and now see another position with that company that I'm interested in, is there an appropriate waiting period I should follow before applying again? Or should I not even bother to put in an application?

Is it a large Company?

No harm is applying again worst they can say is no, and I would be more incline to give the tie to the guy who applied twice to my Company if deciding between a number of candidates.

So yah go for it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Are you saying you were already rejected? If yes then of course apply.
If you are waiting to hear back from the formal interview I would still probably apply.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just realized that pretty much as of this month I now have enough retail/customer service experience to try applying for banking positions again. I've worked at a bank for a year, but really wish I could've been there for two. Would've opened a hell of a lot more doors for me, but looks like I can start knocking again. Here's to full time and banker's hours.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So, I recently quit my job as a teacher.

I'm planning to continue substitute teaching while I look for work. $97 a day before taxes. Not amazing, but manageable as I still live at home.

I was an English major in college (graduated in 2010) and I'm looking to get back out on the market. My skill set consists mostly of being pretty decent at writing and oral communication and not being afraid of being in front of large groups. I'm also pretty awful at all non-arithmetic math, for what it's worth.

Some career paths I was looking at include copy editing, corporate training, counseling, or something marketing/advertising. At this point, I'm obviously in no position to be picky with what I do, and I'm willing to work my way up from the bottom. I'm wondering if there is some sort of government work where I can utilize my English degree as well.

Moving out from South Florida is not possible as I have sick family members and a significant other of nearly a decade (who happens to have an excellent job.)

Please goons, I'm 26 years old and I'm basically starting at zero after teaching for half a year. Any advice on what I should do?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 21, 2013

km2
Jul 27, 2012
I wonder if I should also crosspost this in the ‘Tell me about being an Engineer!’ thread but this post is a bit more appropriate for this thread.

After approximately a few months of throwing out resumes on major job search engines, as well as applying to aerospace corporations such as Boeing, Northrup, Raytheon and the like, I’ve barely gotten any responses to job positions I have been applying to. Even more weird is hearing nothing back from the aerospace corporations (not just a rejection notice but literally no replies). From those responses that I’ve gotten, they were simple phone interviews and the rare on-site job interviews.

I have a Masters in EE (specialized in computers but more emphasis towards embedded systems) with a 4.0 GPA from an ABET-accredited state university, and some Boeing and JPL internships listed on my resume.

The only job offer I got? Junior engineering position for a medium-sized company that pays $50k/year with extremely little benefits, literally take it or leave it with no negotiations. This position is located in Southern California.

At this point, I wonder whether or not I should just give up and just take whatever the job market throws at me, die a little (or a lot) inside and chalk it up to gaining life/job experience, or just keep fishing?

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

km2 posted:

I wonder if I should also crosspost this in the ‘Tell me about being an Engineer!’ thread but this post is a bit more appropriate for this thread.

After approximately a few months of throwing out resumes on major job search engines, as well as applying to aerospace corporations such as Boeing, Northrup, Raytheon and the like, I’ve barely gotten any responses to job positions I have been applying to. Even more weird is hearing nothing back from the aerospace corporations (not just a rejection notice but literally no replies). From those responses that I’ve gotten, they were simple phone interviews and the rare on-site job interviews.

I have a Masters in EE (specialized in computers but more emphasis towards embedded systems) with a 4.0 GPA from an ABET-accredited state university, and some Boeing and JPL internships listed on my resume.

The only job offer I got? Junior engineering position for a medium-sized company that pays $50k/year with extremely little benefits, literally take it or leave it with no negotiations. This position is located in Southern California.

At this point, I wonder whether or not I should just give up and just take whatever the job market throws at me, die a little (or a lot) inside and chalk it up to gaining life/job experience, or just keep fishing?

Are you just looking in CA or other places as well?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Reinanigans posted:

So, I recently quit my job as a teacher.

I'm planning to continue substitute teaching while I look for work. $97 a day before taxes. Not amazing, but manageable as I still live at home.

I was an English major in college (graduated in 2010) and I'm looking to get back out on the market. My skill set consists mostly of being pretty decent at writing and oral communication and not being afraid of being in front of large groups. I'm also pretty awful at all non-arithmetic math, for what it's worth.

Some career paths I was looking at include copy editing, corporate training, counseling, or something marketing/advertising. At this point, I'm obviously in no position to be picky with what I do, and I'm willing to work my way up from the bottom. I'm wondering if there is some sort of government work where I can utilize my English degree as well.

Moving out from South Florida is not possible as I have sick family members and a significant other of nearly a decade (who happens to have an excellent job.)

Please goons, I'm 26 years old and I'm basically starting at zero after teaching for half a year. Any advice on what I should do?

I see a lot of openings for QC Laboratories in Miami looking for various technical/copywriters when I search for writing jobs. Just a heads up, the market sucks if you don't already have 3-5 years professional experience (and even if you do). Welcome to the suck! :sympathy:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

km2 posted:

Where are you located? I presume you're willing to re-locate if you're applying to Boeing.

The thing to remember about Boeing: As long as you get a position in a division that works with SPEEA engineers, the first job is just how you get your body through the door. After you're in SPEEA, you can network around the company and probably transition into something else that you really enjoy (and that pays better).

It works the same for IAM (the mechanics analog to SPEEA). There are people who get jobs at Boeing as janitors and then transition to being actual mechanics after a period of time since the janitors are all IAM employees. Certainly, you have to be qualified in order to get a job as a mechanic at Boeing, but if you're already in IAM then it's way easier.

It's all about just getting that first position.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I got a call from the HR department of my local bank with a verbal job offer. I immediately accepted over the phone but wondering about the process after accepting a verbal offer. How long before I get my official job offer with the other paperwork? Also, should I send a thank you email after all the paperwork is finish and I'm formally employed or should I just send one now?

Thanks in advance

Pistol Packin Poet fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 22, 2013

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

km2 posted:

You're me from a decade ago. The worst part was hearing absolutely nothing back. So what did I do? I joined the Air Force and have never regretted it. It's not for everyone, but have you considered the military? We're critically short on EEs. It's spectacularly hard to break into Aerospace right now. If that's what you really want to do, four years in the Air Force as an engineer will open a whole lot of doors. You'll walk away with a clearance, A-list connections, and leadership training. The downside is you can't be fat, the pay sucks for the first two years, and you don't get to choose where you live (although as a EE, there's a 90% chance you'll go to either LA or Boston). PM me if you want more info.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Declan MacManus posted:

I see a lot of openings for QC Laboratories in Miami looking for various technical/copywriters when I search for writing jobs. Just a heads up, the market sucks if you don't already have 3-5 years professional experience (and even if you do). Welcome to the suck! :sympathy:

What site do you use to search for job postings?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It was stressful as hell for about a year and a half, but I got permanent, decent work through temp agency placements. I worked for the uber-bank which shall not be named, shamefully auditing employee expense reimbursement requests for just shy of a year. That place was/is/will be executing nasty layoffs, but it got me the references required to do temp-to-hire work at a huge not for profit in my state. (Plus the resources necessary to pay student loans and buy a consult from R2I). After 8 more months (nearly) of temp purgatory, I landed a full time position. Less than three months after that, I got a raise. I have gold-planted benefits and I'm basically a scrub who never did an internship and has an MSAcctg.

The temping thing is overlooked, but realistically, temp positions are pretty much one of, if not THE, fastest growing category of jobs. They're fake jobs and they're stressful, but they're also income and networks and stepping stones. Temp positions are open for practically every job description you can think of--our security at the unspeakable bank was handled by a specialized temp firm.

I worked with Randstad, who contracted to Adecco, who contracted to the nameless bank; Randstad was actually pretty great and I never even saw my recruiter in person. He was happy to interview me and talk on the phone, via email, and accepted documentation by fax and email. Accountemps was pickier about face to face meetings and filing I-9 and W-4 documentation at their office, but they seem to have tons of bureaus around. There are a lot of other agencies out there, but I had a pretty decent time with those--pay was on time, I didn't opt into benefits, and don't expect PTO. Experience with receiving useful details (like when you're supposed to go in on your first day, holiday and overtime policies, your actual work duties, sundry other similarly useless details) varies by your agency recruiter/manager/go-to.

km2
Jul 27, 2012

J4Gently posted:

Are you just looking in CA or other places as well?
Just looking in CA, particularly near SoCal.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Where are you located? I presume you're willing to re-locate if you're applying to Boeing.
East Los Angeles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

km2 posted:

Just looking in CA, particularly near SoCal.

East Los Angeles.

That might be the issue, the first job is always the most difficult and that initial experience is so valuable.
If there are a lot of qualified applicants in a specific area (and So Cal is a very nice place to live) it becomes much more competitive. Given the state of the economy and recent layoffs you are probably competing against people who have significantly more experience.

There is some good advice above, and I'll add my bit of advice which is to expand your search area.
You could also try looking for smaller firms to get your foot in the door.

• Locked thread