Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hoboskins posted:

but the one with the vine whips... You can very easily make her unable to stand. The whips extend well below her feet 😑.

And that's why the two ironclad rules for MFX assembly are "DRY FIT EVERYTHING" and "loving told you, it's in all caps for a reason".

Paradoxically that's why it's so relaxing, you gotta take it nice and calm or you'll throw the models at a wall and break everything before you finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Made a display board for my EVS crew.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That does look pretty loving cool. I'm assuming the ship is 3d printed? And I like the australian flag on the diving bell/robot crab guy. I havent looked much into the explorers yet so I do not know his name. I always see other peoples stuff and think "I should try and practice some freehand" then bottle it when I actually have a mini in front of me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I printed the ship, yeah. I freehand tiny flags on all my EVS dudes

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Finally got some title boxes. I don't know if it's the war or what, but prices sure went crazy :ohdear:

Also, I saw a new master for Arcanists, not just a title, a full new master, keyword and all. What's his deal and when can I get him?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

He’s in the next book, Madness of Malifaux, and he’s not going to be available until October probably - he was just on sale at Gencon.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post again

SiKboy posted:

All I've got done this week is varnishing some stuff I painted last weekend, then a tiny amount of weathering (because the dirty down rust effect works better after the varnish). Hopefully get a bit more done this week coming. Both Malifaux.

KillJoy, an undead Fae. Was planning on adding some Blood For the Blood God to the cleaver and/or his guts, but I'm kind of happy with it as it is. Skin is based with GW pallid wych flesh, and I have to say as much as I love the colour for super pale skin I feel like I have to fight that loving paint every single time to try and get it thinned to a usable consistency, more than probably any other paint I own.

A Medical Automaton. Fun little palate cleanser of a figure.

Killjoy was second hand, and unsurprisingly missing the hook on the end of the long and fragile chain, so I bodged a replacement together from plasticard. Kind of wish I'd gone slightly larger with it, but it looks good and heavy duty at least.

Still not been ready to face the Autumn Knights and Aeslin, but maybe todays the day. Or maybe I'll just chuck some metallics and a black wash on more augmented robots...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone here painted the Deacon from the Kaeris2 box? Is it just me, or does he seem like a nightmare to paint post-assembly?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I have him in my painting queue, and he isn't too bad as long as you don't glue him to a base before painting. There's plenty of room to hit the back of his suit and inside the cloak.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh no, I'm definitely not sticking him onto the base yet. So it's not necessary to gently caress around with subassemblies, good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Customary X-post!

SiKboy posted:

Did a bit more painting through the week, finished off what I have for the Fae keyword for Malifaux. They're undead faeries/Sidhe basically, so I wanted them to look distinctly unhealthy, and the bases to look "Nature but a threatening way", so I went with plants erupting through cobblestones. Kind of went overboard on the plants on some of them, but in person you can still see the cobbles through the tufts, static grass reindeer moss. I'm pretty happy with how the crew turned out, they may not be the technically or objectively best thing I've painted but I set myself a brief for the mood I wanted and feel like I kinda nailed it.

So Titanias Autumn Knights

Aeslin, Titanias Henchman

The rest of the crew, most of which were painted in the last month or so, but the Waldgeist (haunted tree dudes on the left) were done ages ago because they were picked up for a Swampfiend crew I was doing. So their bases dont match, but with all the greenery they also dont look too out of place, and I'm not crazy enough to buy/paint two sets just so they have matching bases with each crew.

I do technically have one more Fae model to paint but uh... He can wait a while. Possibly until I get a hang of basecoating using that portable compressor airbrush I have but never use.

The autumn knights werent as bad to do as I thought they might be tbh, one I decided what bits should be wood and what bits sickly green. The only metallics used are on Killjoy because I dont know if iron hurts malifaux Fae or not, but decided that for painting purposes it does so I'd avoid it (except Killjoy because he has chains and a massive cleaver, but hes unkillable anyway).

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Any strategies for Lady J 1? I bought my partner the nightmare set and they seem very intrested in playing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

She’s pretty straightforward. Run up and smash. Don’t be afraid to stone for the trigger on Leap to get more attacks (just make sure you have a card in hand to cheat to make sure the ability goes off - if you have a ram, stone for a mask, and vice versa). She’s not invincible, so you can’t be too reckless, but pick off targets whenever and wherever you can. The Lone Marshal is crazy strong, the rest of the keyword is so/so but not terrible. They’re tough.

Also look at this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NbWbgRZH0

tankfish
May 31, 2013
I want that snail knight so bad now.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

tankfish posted:

Any strategies for Lady J 1? I bought my partner the nightmare set and they seem very intrested in playing.

I'm not good at the game in general but I love her and her key word, especially because they are good against undead and summons, which I hate. Domadores are awesome and will look great alongside the Nightmare crew.

It feels good to beat people up so choose objectives that require that but if they aren't available, she has options. She has 3 ap and leap, she is incredibly mobile! She can be jumping around the board and taking objectives, then retaliating when the opponent comes to her. The great sword even encourages this by potentially doing more damage if you haven't moved.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

jodai posted:

I'm not good at the game in general but I love her and her key word, especially because they are good against undead and summons, which I hate. Domadores are awesome and will look great alongside the Nightmare crew.

It feels good to beat people up so choose objectives that require that but if they aren't available, she has options. She has 3 ap and leap, she is incredibly mobile! She can be jumping around the board and taking objectives, then retaliating when the opponent comes to her. The great sword even encourages this by potentially doing more damage if you haven't moved.

Thanks for the tips I ended up grabbing the zoraida1 nightmare box so we can kinda learn how to play this game together.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Just went 3-2 at the masters invitational for 5th place. Pleased with that but also salty because round 5 I was playing for 2nd place and I was COMMANDINGLY winning the game before making a very stupid mistake and losing by 1.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Just went 3-2 at the masters invitational for 5th place. Pleased with that but also salty because round 5 I was playing for 2nd place and I was COMMANDINGLY winning the game before making a very stupid mistake and losing by 1.

So what happened?! (And what were you running?)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I’ll write the full thing up for Goonhammer. I ran ES all weekend, declared Apex once but otherwise exclusively Cadmus (4 times)/EVS (5 times)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I should post my Kaeris in here too, just to have my Malifaux stuff in the Malifaux thread.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Electric Hobo posted:

I should post my Kaeris in here too, just to have my Malifaux stuff in the Malifaux thread.

Hot stuff.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

jodai posted:

They're also really good at dealing with buried things, so extra good against Dreamer's summons and Tara as a whole. It's very fun.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I finally painted some more malifaux, its been a minute. X-post from painting thread

SiKboy posted:

Been in a bit of a hobby slump the last month or two. Wanted to want to paint, had figures on the painting desk, but nope. Got one base colour down hoping that would then motivate me to keep going but... still nope. So I took the advice I always give when other people are feeling like that and tried something a bit different but related. Dug out some terrain that was sitting in the bottom of a box, painted that and had a lot of fun with it.... But still could not motivate myself to paint figures. Scratch built a simple wee piece of terrain, painted that up over a couple of evenings, interspersed with a few evenings of not even thinking about anything hobby related to take the pressure I was kind of putting on myself back off and that combination finally did it. TL:DR - I'm back on my bullshit.

All Malifaux, a "Last Blossom" Ten Thunders crew. Second edition figures. Wanted to give the new(-ish) contrast yellow a try, I have to say, its pretty good.

Misaki Katanaka, crew leader, and her fire type pokemon ninetales kitsune totem, Shang. For the record, that is a load bearing magic effect on Misaki as its connected to her raised food and is the main anchor point to the base as the foot on the ground is on tippy toes. The 3rd edition model looks marginally more stable, but I kind of like this one. Shang is stood on cork because he just flat out doesnt fit on that base.

Ototo and Yamizako. Talking of not fitting on the base, at least in Ototos case its obviously deliberate, and kind of hilarious. It did mean I had to glue some scraps of metal to the underside of his base to shift its centre of balance enough for it to stay upright on its own. Yamizako was kind of a gently caress up. I bought her already assembled, and saw there was a bit of a seam/gap but thought it was small enough that I'd get away with being lazy and not filling it. The contrast paint of course immediately made it look like the grand canyon, so I went back and tried to fill it when it was already primed and partially painted, then had to try and cover the bit I'd fixed and get it to blend... Not the easiest thing with contrast paints, and the sprue goo kind of did not get on with the primer on the cloak, caused some little texture issues. Not as obvious in person, but easily my least favourite model out the crew and the last thing I needed tbh.

The Minions, one Katanaka Sniper (there is a rifle on his back I swear) and 3 Torakage. It just really amuses me to have stealth assassins painted canary yellow, but I did at least tone it down a bit for the sniper. By the time I got to the Torakage I was back in my stride and enjoying painting again, they're probably my favourites out this crew.

Crew group shot;

Honestly I started out painting these wondering if the problem was I didnt particularly like the figures I was painting, but by the time I was done with them they had really grown on me. Except Yamizako. But the rest, particularly Misaki herself and the Torakage, really like them. If asked for advice I'd recommend painting this version of Ototo partially assembled, turns out its really difficult to get in to the front of his torso with his giant Kanabo (not gonna lie, just googled "Japanese war club" mid post) in the way, but most stuff sits assembled and primed in my pile of shame for far too long for me to think that far ahead.

Up next, a small Oni crew (starter +1 figure) that have been in my backlog for an absolute age.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Nice painting! I usually don't like painting regular people, but I think a lot of the Ten Thunders are pretty cool. They remind me of 90s cartoons in a way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Nice painting! I usually don't like painting regular people, but I think a lot of the Ten Thunders are pretty cool. They remind me of 90s cartoons in a way.

Thanks! I'm kind of hot and cold on the ten thunders crews, I think a lot of the individual figures are cool, but find it hard to get motivated to actually paint a whole crew of them. Got a sizable contingent of Monks who have been sitting built and undercoated with bases bought specifically for them that I just cant seem to bring to the painting desk. And a bunch of Qi and Gong figures that are also ready to paint but never seem to make the jump to the desk either.

Anyway, this Oni starter box was sitting for ages as well, but I finally got them out the backlog.

SiKboy posted:

This weeks Malifaux figures. A 2e Asami Tanaka (Keyword Oni) crew.

Asami Tanaka, the crew master and easily my least favourite model in the keyword. Kind of hosed up the skin a little, but half assed a fix and called it because I just wasnt enjoying the model. She looks better from the back. Also in contrast er totem, Amanjaku who has some grumpy old man energy I kind of love.

Ohaguro Bettari, which is based on japanese folklore. In the folklore she has dyed black teeth but I didnt do that because a) it would be invisible at any real distance making it look like she was toothless, b) no-one I could see on google image search had painted her like that, and c) in the folklore she doesnt actually attack people, just scare them and if we're ignoring that part I'm ignoring the tooth thing. I like the figure, got a sort of Pans Labyrinth vibe.

Kamaitachi, or as I think of him, Squiiirrel, and the oni minions, the Yokai.

I get its thematic that the totem is more eye catching than the master in this case, but I still like the keyword masters to stand out in a crowd. Couldnt see a way to make that happen here short of painting her really garish colours which wouldnt have felt right. She doesnt really have many details to concentrate on, and even her face feels a little under-sculpted for some reason. I tried my go-to technique of just standing her on some rocks for height to make her more imposing but it didnt look right so I took her back off and used that base for Amanjaku instead. I like the rest of the crew well enough though.

Oh, and I forgot the crew photo.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Those models look great! This could be my own confirmation bias but I have just been putting together some Explorer Society kits I picked up and the models both look more detailed and have more sensible assembly. It makes sense given they are newer but I am wondering if it is just my perception.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hoboskins posted:

Those models look great! This could be my own confirmation bias but I have just been putting together some Explorer Society kits I picked up and the models both look more detailed and have more sensible assembly. It makes sense given they are newer but I am wondering if it is just my perception.

I honestly dont think its just you, or at least not the part about the more sensible assembly. In my experience the models which were made post-3E are (as a general rule) easier to build than the ones pre. For example,the Scavengers which come with 3E leviticus are much more straightforward to build than any of the models in the keyword released in 2E, they are practically push-fit. The Abominations (which are just repackaging of the figures developed and released during 2E) are universally fiddly as hell to build. That may be comparing apples with oranges, but I do agree with you in general (although there are some older kits that went together like a dream, and some new ones that are slightly trying, I think the trend is easier to build). Of course the worst kits to build are still in print, its not like the Goryo, Iron Skeeters, Hannah Lovelace and that one Bayou Gator with the gremlin on his snout got new sculpts.

More detailed is harder to call. I never felt like most malifaux kits were under-detailed to start with, Asami notwithstanding. it'd be interesting to compare the building and detail level of some of the figures that got new sculpts in 3E side by side with their old sculpts to make that judgment, but I try to avoid buying duplicates. Dont always succeed right enough.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did some more painting.

SiKboy posted:

Been painting more Malifaux, assorted odds and sods for various factions/crews and making a small dent in the pile of shame.

Two Riotbreakers and a Peacekeeper for Hoffmans Augmented Crew.

Union Steamfitters, who are the S in the M&SU. Been meaning to pick these guys up for ages, it was annoying me my Miners and Steamfitters Union had no Steamfitters. Painted these when I was on strike a few weeks ago, felt fitting. The lady with the red hair unfortunately came missing an arm, but it was the mechanical one, so I could clip down a spare Necron arm, glue it between the shoulder and the hand (sculted on the skirt) and put a couple of greebles on it and it looks fine.

A Bandersnatch and Widow Weaver for the Dreamers Nightmare crew. Bandersnatch I really liked, jumped straight to the front of my painting queue, and I'm pleased with how it turned out, bozo level OSL and all. These havent been varnished yet because its loving freezing outside, and I might add a tuft to the base just to break it up a bit. The Widow Weaver I spend a good bit of time on, but I'm still not 100% happy with it, but eventually you have to just call it a day. Might go back for yet another round of highlights at some point, but done for now.

Some Terracotta Warriors for the Ten Thunders faction. Was all set to break out the terracotta coloured paint I have from a project like 3 years ago and have never used since then remembered the terracotta warriors are a real thing and I can google what they actually look like, turns out they arent anything close to that colour at all. One day I'll get to use that flowerpot reddish-orange brown for something. A lot of people online seem to have painted these guys and then put flock and tufts on them, but I felt that would move them from "living statues" to "just a statue". Kept the basing fairly neutral so they look broadly okay with any of my ten thunders crews.

And some Cryptologists for the Wastrel faction. I suspect that whoever named these thinks cryptologists study crypts instead of codes, but fun models. When I get them varnished I'll add some weathering powders (then probably take another crew picture now I've got more than their core box done).

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

Thirty-Three for Malifaux. I really enjoyed painting this little guy. Also, what's the easiest way to do image stacking when you have take pictures with an android phone? It's starting to annoy me that part of my photos are out of focus every time.

In other news, the league I'm running has 8 players this time around. We're slowly expanding!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Nice! What’s the faction spread?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
2 Outcast, 3 Bayou, 3 Neverborn, 1 Ressurectionists, and 1 Guild/Arcanist (Hoffman).
Pretty spread out, and there aren't any duplicate keywords. I've limited it so we use a single keyword, and no double masters, to make it easier for new players to join.
And we're apparently 10 players after the FLGS owner helped me push it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
As someone who actually loves assembling Malifaux minis and finds it genuinely relaxing, I'd like to make an announcement:

:siren: gently caress Skeeters. :siren:

Thank you for your attention.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Pierzak posted:

As someone who actually loves assembling Malifaux minis and finds it genuinely relaxing, I'd like to make an announcement:

:siren: gently caress Skeeters. :siren:

Thank you for your attention.

Holy poo poo, yes. They were the worst thing I've ever built I think.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Iron or regular? Iron weren’t so bad for me.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Iron or regular? Iron weren’t so bad for me.

Regular, the ones whose antennae snap off if you as much as think about them too loudly.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Just got back from CaptainCon. 8 rounds of faux! I solo’d Tiri in the MCCI and went 2-1 (losing to youko2/mccabe2 after spending a very foolish turn 2 attacking an indestructible McCabe) and then went for the Scorpius with Bayou in the five-round Booty and Plunder event. I went 4-1, losing only to Damian, and won the Scorpius by three points on the second tiebreaker.

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin
How did you find Tiri? I'm really excited to play Bygone but waiting for the release as I still got a lot of other crews to learn!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

She’s REALLY strong but in kind of a boring and linear way. Juice up Matron, draw a million cards, win.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Quick question; What is a reasonable number of Malifaux Rats to paint up for a Hamelin crew? I see he can have up to 12 on the field, but I dont know if thats "theoretically no more than 12, but in most games realistically about 6" or if its "12 and he hits that ceiling most games".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
You actually get 12 if you get his two main boxes, so I assume he'll need all of them. I'm going to paint them all when/if I get to his keyword.