Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing 3. edition since it came out, and by "playing" I mean "been sitting at home, thinking about the game, and painting the models due to corona", and I absolutely love it.
I've been spreading out, trying Kaeris, Ironsides, Marcus, Tara, and I just grabbed Hamelin. I really like how different they all play, but I'm starting to realize that I should probably focus on a keyword for a bit to try and figure it out. But my main opponent plays Asami, so I've been having fun trying to to guess what she's going to do, and then try and counter it.
Great game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brock Samsonite posted:

HamHam plays truly bizarrely. They reigned in some of the really rear end in a top hat things people were doing with him due to 3e thank god. I really like that he's built more around like infecting people and then making them take actions they otherwise wouldn't. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the Basse crew, I'm a big guilt player and like the only one in Atlanta.

Edit: Also I think he has the most different types of model in the entire game at like,,,6?

I mostly got him because I could pick up his 2. edition boxes for a fifth of the price of the new ones. He does seem fun, or at least interesting, which is my main reason for getting the different keywords. He'll also help me play more Outcast games, since Tara is super bad for Recover Evidence, and Hamelin seems super bad for Public Enemies, with the constant stream of rats that pop out everywhere.
I'll probably get another keyword. Jack Daw seems cool, but I think that he's still missing som boxes for 3. edition, so I'll most likely go for Von Schill. At least I like painting the models.

We were starting up an escalation league when corona struck, so we'll have to start over when/if the world gets more sane. At least the owner of my FLGS is a super fan of the game, so he constantly tries to get people to play it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheFinalTuba posted:

Well, the rats are insignificant right? So they give no bounty points. Hamelin is one of the few masters I've never faced, but I'll tell ya what, insignificant spam has been relatively effective for me in Bayou Public Enemies games. Shove a bunch of insignificant in their face and they have to deal with them (they'll obviously die fast), but that's less actions they're using to hit significant models. Again, don't know if it works quite so well for Hamelin or not though.

But also, buying more models is good too 😝
That's true! I haven't got the cards for them yet, so I missed that :) The rats pop up all the time, which I guess is why you can have 12 of them. Then they can combine into a Rat King if something tougher is needed, then the king can summon a Rat Catcher if it's close to death. Then the cycle repeats. Seems pretty neat.

My whole local community is so new to 3. Edition that I get a lot of mileage out of playing the more confusing crews, so my opponent doesn't know what's going on. Marcus is probably my favorite at this point, because of the constantly changing abilities that he brings.

Edit: And yeah, I'll get Von Schill anyway. Then Rasputina. Then Sandeep. Then Jack Daw. Then I'll reflect over what I'm doing with my life.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 29, 2020

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Explorer society is all on the app. I really like Syndicate, Frontier and Seeker so I think I'm playing those in the future lol.
Seeker is so cool that it might be time to buy into a third faxtion! Umbra, Dua, and Cadmus are also pretty cool.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Look at all these people not picking up Apex for Malisaurus Rex (unless you already have Fae then I forgive you).

Seeker is also definitely on the list although I'll keep an eye on the other Masters too.

I'm picking up Malisaurus Rex to bludgeon my opponent when they score Vendetta.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really confused when I assembled the Brass Arachnid, and saw that it's supposed to go on a 30mm base. The base fits, with room to spare, right under it, without touching any of it's legs. That's going to be annoying if I ever get to paint and base it.

I've posted my stuff in the painting thread, but I'll slap it in here later.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's some of my painted stuff. All the Wildfire models, as well as my converted Ironsides for running her with Kaeris.

And most of the Obliteration models, I don't have the new one yet :(

On the topic of lovely sized bases: How the hell am I supposed to attach Hamelin's giant fart cloud to anything? I can't even find any pictures where someone has done it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Those flames look slick. What colours did you use? Did you airbrush them?
No airbrush, except for priming, varnishing, and the occasional solid color basecoat. I prime white, then use Scale 75 Sol Yellow, cover ½ with Mars Orange, then thin the orange down to a glaze and smooth the transition. Then I do the same with Blood Red and Deep Red, covering less of the fire each time.

I'll sneak my Arcanist versatiles into this post.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I'm curious about what you've written on Prides base here though!
"DON'T kill the audience!"
I'm basing them as if they're performing on a stage, so each bandmember gets a helpful message from the show's boss. Wrath will get something like "Don't listen to them", Sloth "No napping!", Lust "No make out sessions!", and so on.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And my last post with stuff I painted. It's all Chimera, except for the Neverborn beasts that I also use for it. Mostly to suddenly turn Myranda into the huge Grootslang tarpit.

That's all I've painted, and I'm a pretty slow painter. I've got the Scorpius and Paul Crockett ready to paint, then It'll probably be time for the last Obliteration models, then Razorspine Rattlers when they show up. I've also got the entire M&SU keyword primed and ready to paint, and they seem like they'd be fun to play so I should probably get around to them. And the last Crossroads Seven. Man, I've got too much to paint.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

I'm loving this dude in particular, nice work!
Thanks :) I painted it for Wyrd's painting competition, so I went a bit harder on it, and threw a tons of bright colors on it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheFinalTuba posted:

Ick, Adze is a nightmare for me. Haha. I always seem to underestimate it until I'm burning to death.

Edit: Oh yeah, poison too X_X
My gaming group are all pretty new at the game, so I see a lot of "it's not so bad, I'll handle it later." when I'm setting everything on fire with Kaeris. Then, suddenly, they realize that a bunch of their guys are about to burn to death, and get real busy putting out fires.
Fun as hell!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Outside of the crews I have a few other odds and sods painted, the hodgepodge effigy (which if I'm interpreting the card right is essentially "a totem for if you are using a henchman instead of a master", right?)
Yeah, the Effigy is free if you have a henchman leader. Give it the Effigy of Fate upgrade to make it turn into the Emissary, for great effect.
I like the Hodgepodge Emissary's stars, but hate the sculpt. It has some great utility with the Trinket upgrades that it can give other models.
I had hoped to get an outcast avatar when when Wyrd had their promo a while ago, but didn't get one :(

Anyway, cool painting!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the Effigies design makes more sense when I consider that they're puppets, and was part of Collodi's gang. I'll agree that the Hodgepodge one is the worst of the bunch, since it isn't a parody the same way that the others are.
Like I said, I don't like the Hodgepodge Emissary, for the same reason that you like it. It's an old guy on a donkey, that just doesn't fit in with anything else.
While I'm jealous of your Avatar of Slaughter, I did get the Avatar of Instinct, which is a proxy for both the Arcanist and the Neverborn Emissary. I already have the Arcanist one, but it's nice for my Marcus crew.

Everybody should post what they paint, or their painted crews!
I'm working on Tara's last box right now! She was the first master I was looking at, but there was nothing out for her, so I waited. I'm looking forward to use her against the Family in the start January.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love that fire gamin sculpt, it's just so drat happy to finally be free to burn the world.

I love crazy colors and a fun gimmick , so I think that the skin color on these guys works surprisingly well!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I also finished something. Finally, Obliteration is complete! Tara was the first master that interested me back when I started out, but she only had her core box, so I skipped her back then.
I be using her to fight the Family on the 10th, so I'm really looking forward to a lot of "too bad, you hit the hole in her chest again"-moments.

Electric Hobo posted:

Jumping on the Malifaux train! The last Obliteration models, as well as a photo of the whole keyword.

SiKboy posted:

X-posting from the painting thread.
I like the Merris sculpt, and all the painting! I like the idea that a bunch of the gremlins are imitations of other figures, just crappier since gremlins don't really know what they're doing :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chin up everything sucks posted:

Excuse me, you mean BETTER, right?

:hmmyes:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The dog things? Yeah, Wyrd sold the Servants of the Void box during their black friday sale. They're pretty cool sculpts!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Me and another recluse that abhors human contact, met in my garage today, and we actually played a whole game game.
It was Tara vs Dreamer for maximum confusion, so it took us almost 6 hours, but we had fun all the way.
I managed to win 7-4 with Tara, as I managed to control my bury/unbury, fairly well, so it only screwed me a few times.
It was pretty fun to play a game where everybody has a ton of Terrifying, so both players burn through their cards.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The strategy was Corrupted Ley Lines, the schemes was Leave Your Mark, Research Mission, Catch and Release, Claim Jump, and Breakthrough. We had corner deployment.
I went for Catch and Release, and Leave your mark.
The strategy was pretty good, since Tara has a lot of incorporeal in her keyword, and Tara herself can take 5 move actions each round. I threw the lodestone around a bit, and got all 4 points from the strategy.
Catch and Release was also pretty simple; I put Fast on my opponent's Carver, buried him, beat him up, and had Aionus unbury him next to my chosen Void Wretch and Karina. Then my Void Wretch hauled rear end across the table, kiting everything, so I scored the endgame point as well.
Leave you mark was worse, but I brought a Prospector that could drop a Scheme marker even though everybody was fighting everybody in the center. I didn't get the endgame point for it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A bit of painting. Paul Crockett and The Scorpius. I like how happy Crockett is, but I'd probably be super happy too, if I'd trained my pet to sit on my head like a hat.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looking good! The brutal effigy is probably the best looking of the effigies, with Arcane and Mysterious coming in as runner-ups.

I'm not painting any Malifaux right now (!), but I'm working on a couple of The Other Side minis for a Frostgrave warband. Compared to Malifaux plastics... They're garbage to work with.
I also got the Von Schill core box and one of his other boxes for Christmas, and bought another one, so I'm busy assembling those guys. Just need Cutting Edge Technology to actually show up at my FLGS, and I'll have another complete keyword.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the multipart male/female boxes is for Through the Breach, and is the normal hard plastic? They do seem pretty cool, I'd but them if I had something to use them for.

The Other Side minis is pre-assembled, which isn't necessarily bad, but they're made of a soft, crappy material. Kind of like Reaper Bones, but not as firm, si the moldlines has a tendency to tear instead of getting sliced off. I really don't like to prepare them for painting, but once they're ready, they're fine. The Cult of the Burning Man faction has some really cool sculpts, so I grabbed a box of Doomseekers to use as Frostgrave spellcasters.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always want to call it Into the Breach, because that's a great game, and the name is burned into my mind.

Brock Samsonite posted:

Crossposting from Oath thread:
These are cool. I like the lighting on Cornelius Basse, makes him look really cool.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just assembled Hannah, and I kind of hated it. Nothing is labeled, everything looks the same, and the instructions is little help, while also being extremely necessary. I only hosed up one of the legs, but managed to pull it off again before the glue set.
At least she's built now.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's hilariously bad. One of Hannah's robot hands needs to be assembled in a specific order, the other does not. This isn't shown in any way.
Several pieces are almost identical, but with a slightly different angle to part of it, but some of them shown in a way that makes it impossible to tell the difference.
I don't get why they haven't done the same thing as they did with the Hamelin instructions. There's a picture of the sprue on that one, and every piece is numbered, both on the sprue and on the exploded view. It's not perfect, but it makes these million piece models a lot easier to assemble.

I guess it's just not a priority for them, as much as getting all the distribution chains up and running and such. Which makes a lot of sense, it just annoys me, personally, and that is naturally is the worst thing ever.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks nice, as always. I really like the idea of Jack Daw, and he seems fun to play, but I really don't like the Guilty models at all. He's on my to buy list, but I'll probably paint most of the models as ghosts.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Wrastler poses are so, so great.
I don't know anything about Wong, but go nuts if you think he's fun.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

I finished my 3e Marcus crew box!

Then I'll comment here, and not on facebook where they just popped up!
I like you color color choices, they're definitely striking!
Marcus is super fun to play, I really like that his dudes can do all kinds of weird things and that they constantly change.
"Sorry, you can't charge Myranda right now, she has natural camouflage. You can charge her now, but now she's a flying bear."

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They've only shown what's in the Explorer's Society and Bayou starters, right? I wonder if all the boxes will be released at the same time.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

X-post from painting thread

Looking good! I'm really looking forward to playing the M&SU, but I'm a galaxy brain who stuck them all on corks so I'll have to paint them first...
The whole idea of the union beating the poo poo out of zombies, wizards, and monsters, just seem really fun to me!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those all look great!
I should probably paint something, but I'm kind of in a slump. I bought myself a resin printer, so a bunch of family members wants me to print and paint them stuff. So now I'm painting all kinds of crap instead of fun stuff. At least there're only two baby yodas left until I can start on my M&SU crew.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Hannah was a fun one to assemble! The paintjob on her is great, I really like the bright blue for her clothes.
I haven't been doing anything Malifaux related, except for buying the complete December keyword, plus the funky 1. Edition Rasputina.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I have a lore question; The Survivors; Are they supposed to be voluntary workers with replacement parts from injury like the rail workers, or slaves/involuntary test subjects? Wyrds page on Mei seems to make out shes generally good, but it doesnt mention them, and they are called "the survivors" which doesnt bode well.
They are survivors of gator attacks, who Sparks made prosthetics for after he learned how from the rail crew.
Surprisingly wholesome.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played a game as Tara, against Nekima. Holy poo poo, Nekima and her Mature Nephilims hit like a ton of bricks! Nekima made quick work of Karina, and then Tara, but I did get a bunch of summons up, so I could win the melee through pure attrition.
The errataed Talos did a lot of work, beating guys up, burying them, setting them on fire, and lowering their defense while they're buried. He's actually useful now!
Aionus also did a lot of work in turn 4 and 5, where his Eventuality does a lot of damage with no flip.
In the end, there was only Nekima and a Mature Nephilim left on the board, while my Scion of the Void was buried and couldn't do anything.
I did win though, and the game was great!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What a beautiful writeup! I hope that the model is looking cool now, at least.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You guys should build the Malisaurus Rex. It ridiculous, and completely impractical to move around on the table.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I got a cheap collapsable lightbox off amazon about a year or so ago, but I gave up using it, because I couldnt seem to get the knack of taking a decent picture with it. Whatever I did I'd have to end up adjusting the levels, in the end I just stopped using it because I figured if I was going to have to adjust the white balance anyway, might as well just use a bit of paper as a backdrop and not bother with the lightbox at all. Plus the texture of the fabric backdrops that came with mine were super obvious no matter what I did.
Same. The lightbox was more annoying than useful to me, so I went back to my homemade backdrop with tinfoil sides.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

In both cases I much prefer the 3e master models to the 1e/2e ones I have here (I also prefer the look of the 3e lawyers), Its possible I'll pick up their 3e starters at some point and sell on the older ones. Plus that would give me Marcus' order initiates which look cool.
Man, that old Cerberus sculpt is great, it looks like something you'd see in a Warner Bros cartoon.

I much prefer the 3e Marcus and Myranda sculpts, but I much prefer the old Jackalope. The new one is muppet-like, and has a stupid sculpt, while the old one is creepy in a very Gremlins way.

I kinda sorta want to paint more Malifaux, but I have 3 fully painted keywords, so I also kinda sorta want to paint some of all the other warbands and armies I have standing around for other games. I'm only painting single Malifaux models for the various contests that Wyrd's running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Good looking gremlins.
These gremlins look good.

Ugleb posted:

I always liked the idea of a Gremlin trying to look 'human sexy' and thinking that she is totally nailing it.
I'm pretty sure that this is her actual lore. All the humans run away when she puts the moves on them, though.

midwifecrisis posted:

My local meta has a league going on with 26 players signed up! My first game for it will be tomorrow, Explorers vs Explorers. I'm pretty sure my opponent will be bringing Basse, which might be a bummer for him since I'm going to have Ivan.
That's a lot of players! People around here still go "That's not by Games Workshop, so no..." whenever I try to introduce them to Malifaux, and that's just kinda sad.

I've been playing a bit, picked up the Seeker keyword because the models are awesome, and only painted a single model. It's for the current Wyrd painting competion, so it super secret for now.