Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I checked miniature market at my lunch after getting an email. I have wanted Tuco and Sue just because I think they look cool. Instead of placing an order then and there, I thought I'd come home and maybe pick out a starter box or two.

Dumb move. It is slim pickins and a couple models I did try to get were actually sold out as I tried to put them in my cart. That's the busiest I've ever seen an online retailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I might have missed it earlier but has anyone picked up an arsenal box yet? Does it have stats for all the first book characters from it's faction or is it only upgrades? I ask because I want to use Sonnia but I haven't found anything about her yet. Also, I was looking for info about Bishop just because I wanted to see his new sculpt but I haven't seen him either.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

What's up with Sonnia's metal mask?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Holy poo poo, I love this game. I haven't got to play yet because apparently, everyone in Arkansas thinks it is too gimmicky but I am definitely going to pick up the old books just for the fluff.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

LordAba posted:

Please tell the the rest of your crew is modeled off of Little Shop of Horrors!

Or a grim dark reboot of Super Mario.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I have the old Sonnia box set and I am finally about to get into playing regularly. Should I go ahead and pick up purifying flame or would money be better spent on something else? Right now I'm really tempted to pick up Sue, an executioner or an exorcist. We are starting at 30 points so this is what I have:

Sonnia w/ the mask, disrupt magic and reincarnation
Samael w/ lead lined coat and witch hunt
2 witchling stalkers

3 Soul stones

So when we step up to 40, what's a good direction to go?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Can a convict gunslinger get 6 attacks with rapid fire and trigger happy? I realize that it'd probably require lots of lucky draws or waste most of your hand but that seems pretty sweet when it hits.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Had my first game last night. I used Sonnia, Samael, 2 witchling stalkers, an executioner and a convict gunslinger. I played against Pandora, baby Kade, Candy, 3 woes and a poltergeist. It went alright, but I chose bad schemes(bodyguard on the gunslinger, take prisoner on baby kade). I should have chosen murder protege and I should not have attacked baby Kade with the executioner. I just meant to weaken him a little but I drew the red joker and completely murdered him. I also realized the value of a witchling handler or the austringer. My opponent was bouncing around the map with woes and Pandora's free pushes while I was slowly double walking.

I did take two extra soul stones and those were worth having. Someone mentioned playing without upgrades for the first few games and that sounds like a good idea since even though it might not seem like much, all the interactions between stuff can get a little overwhelming.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

MisterShine posted:

FYI Red Joker is optional. You MAY always pick it, but you don't have to.

Also take prisoner is a much harder scheme for most crews to accomplish.

That is good to know. I really shouldn't have attacked the prisoner target at all but initially I thought it could be anybody, then I reread it and realized I was supposed to choose a target for that scheme.

I played another game recently and did a lot better. I started with only one stalker and took Sonnia, Samael , executioner and Sue. I had been keeping my stalkers back last game and shooting people but it was in this game that I saw how crazy they are when you charge them into a couple guys who either kill them and catch on fire or waste their activation getting away from them. Also, Sonnia's melee attack is pretty awesome.

Are there characters I should watch out for if I'm relying on burning stuff all the time?

I just picked up the new Ortega box set and I'm really happy with how easy it was to assemble and how cool the models look. Just gotta wait for Thursday to get another game in!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

So has anybody tried out Through The Breach? I just heard that the digital books have been released for backers and I would hope at least one of you guys got in on the kickstarter.

Also, going from Sonnia to Perdita for a Malifaux league(buy a box to get in or pay $20 bucks which turns into store credit that I would have used to buy the Ortega box anyway). Played 1 full game and two half games. My biggest problem right now is still choosing schemes but Line in the Sand is one I'm just always picking now. I like the movement abilities and Perdita's Finger on the Trigger ability seems really good. I play with two different groups, one is the League with a lot of completely new to Malifaux players and my other group is more experienced players who seem to be trying to find the cheesier play styles so I will probably be dropping the double austringer perdita list. Either way, I have a lot of fun with this game.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

One of the things that got me into malifaux was watching a Sonnia vs. Marcus game. Marcus' crew might be a little complicated but Sonnia's crew made me pretty happy. There was a very minor interaction where One character was set on fire and somebody else walked up and put them out. Malifaux's flavor is what attracted me to the game. So, with that being said, Sonnia vs . Rasputina might be a good demo, though it might be too much magic.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah, miniature market has a preorder for TTB stuff too but is there a set release date yet? Also, are non kickstarters going to be able to get those sweet multipart kits?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Manifest posted:

The PDFs released are pretty cool.
I'll be setting a group up as soon as we get a release date.

I don't understand why the PDF hasn't been released yet. Was the one released to the kickstarters a no-frills thing and they are still finalizing the book art/layout or is it something else? I've watched the character creation video so many times now, I just want to playyyyyy

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Stop rubbing it in, you jerks!

I shoulda backed the kickstarter but at the time I didn't have a group or even play Malifaux with people. I almost still backed it because it looked so cool. But I didn't and now I'm sad.

In other news, I'm trying out Sonnia's avatar just so I can take fire gamin and Iggy. I really can't wait to use those guys, especially since Iggy was the first Wyrd model I ever bought.

One more thing... I was watching my friend play and the guy he was playing flips a red joker on the attack and says "You can't cheat your defense." Then my friend says, jokingly, "Yeah, I can because I do what I want!"... Flips the red joker. I don't even think he won the game but he might as well have because that's all anyone was talking about. Stuff like that is why I love this game.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Oh my god the first post on that website was already super helpful. I never really had a strategy for what cards to keep but keeping the high cards and understanding why to keep them(because a model who can defend is a model that can stay alive) means a lot. Building on to that, knowing how to play a list and knowing if suits or numbers are more important. It's something that I think every player does subconsciously but having it spelled out helps to understand the game better.

So thanks is what I'm trying to say, I guess.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I'm so glad I waited for the Lucius box in plastic. That looks awesome from what I can see.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I really didn't think you had to pay for a henchman if he was your leader but the guy I was playing today insisted you do. So I agreed because I haven't played for a while so I just rolled with it.

Still haven't learned not to rush nephilim.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

One more thing that bothers me about last nights game. I was told that ranged attacks aren't allowed on the first turn so that shooty groups don't completely dominate. I assumed it was some kind of errata or a rule I just skimmed over but the more I think about it, the less it makes sense. Am I missing something or is this all the product of someone's weird house rule.

I actually sat down and read the rulebook because of this which is good since I guess I shouldn't rely on other peoples idea of what the rules are.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Everybody in the Guild loves the Austringer, it's a really good support piece. A good fighting piece we have is the Executioner. For me, the first thing I got outside of Sonnia's box was Sue, an Outcast mercenary who can do a lot of cool things like set people on fire and give people "finish the job".

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Do those kits have enough parts to make a few different pcs or am I going to have magnetize some pieces? From the pictures, it looks like we would get enough for a few characters and have some pieces left over.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

The cool thing about starting with Outcasts is a lot of the models are mercenaries so you can take a couple in other faction crews. I usually take Sue or a convict gunslinger because I like them a lot with my Guild crew.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

EVIR Gibson posted:

I prefer this one. This is the one I print out and laminate for new players. Then after they know the game, it still has features that are super useful later on like the Turn Point score table and the back which shows all the schemes and strats from flips and tells how set up goes (which is super important! Scheme selection AFTER crew reveal!)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tgHAW-Zlfvg/UlWosPVeYSI/AAAAAAAAMpc/ax8NmshCPP0/s1600/M2E-CheatCardColour.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5tHyB6GX-lU/UlWorU51Z5I/AAAAAAAAMpU/zhRzy-4upQo/s1600/M2E-CheatCardBack.jpg

Thanks for posting this. There's a guy that runs demos that has these. There was also a guy who had cards for strategies and schemes that he had printed out. Do you know where those came from? Isn't Wyrd going to release a deck of strats and schemes?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I just got the old Pandora and Nicodem box, what's good to add to them? I figure Nicodem is going to need more zombies and both of them are probably going to want their totems but what else is good with them? Also, I have Iggy and Tuco and it looks like Iggy will be pretty good with Pandora but is Tuco going to be worth fielding?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

From the way it sounds, he chain activated three guys but I think those chain activations are limited to one other person. So only two at a time. Other than that, it sounds like you played as well as you could. Perdita and her crew are the Neverborn hunters; they are designed to punish you and it's usually gonna be a tough fight.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

The first time I played Malifaux, the guy who was running the demo had printed out some strategy and scheme cards. The game plays so much quicker and smoother with them. I never bothered printing all that stuff out and making the cards but I sure wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks for a fancy deck.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

When you said purple and gold, I thought it would look a lot gaudier. As is, he looks like some kind of kick rear end supervillain. Love the base too. Now I want some freikorps.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

I just wanted to share my excitement about receiving a cool crew box :smith:

It's pretty exciting just to get a new crew but the fancy translucent ones are extra special. I kinda wish more stuff was available in translucent. I'm looking at painting Pandoras box and the woes would be really cool in translucent green or blue.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Ah I think I saw it but forgot it existed and that's why I thought it would be cool, because it is.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I just got the metal governor's proxy and I'm so happy. Just one hunk of metal, nothing to glue and no little butt cheeks to paint. I really think the new plastic sculpt looks horrible.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Would it be bad to just get 9 1x1 tiles to make a game board for malifaux? Has anyone done this and did it work okay? I'm just thinking for now I could drop a few bucks at a home store and get 9 kitchen tiles that look suitably old westy and set them out on a 6x4 or 4x4 board. The main problem is that when we measure it out, the boundaries aren't solid enough so what constitutes out of bounds isnt always clear. I do plan on getting a FAT mat eventually but I need a cheaper quicker solution for the moment.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Wazzu posted:

I love my tablescape tiles, for modular boards and the lines every 12 inches helping measurement out (sounds silly but it's nice). The question is how your tiles will stick together during play.

That's my biggest worry for anything cheap. Also, I thought tiles might be bad because of being able to use it to estimate distances before I remembered Malifaux allows pressuring. Gosh I really like this game.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I have a similar problem, which is I want to buy box sets and get new masters all the time but then I play and have only a vague idea of what I'm trying to do. I would really recommend trying to stay with a master and learn their tricks. I don't know Neverborn well enough to tell you what you need but like any other war game, it's best to have a handful of models that you know really well and then start to spread out.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Wazzu posted:

Yeah, it's unclear to me what the purpose of that upgrade is. The only time I can think it would be relevant would be against Oxfordian Mages.

That's not an upgrade, that's just how Sorrows work. The upgrade "Fears given form" just does damage if enemies are in the leaders engagement when they activate.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you guys, I was typing this up in the office and made a few SNAFUs. We're still trying to get to the bottom of the rules; so it was a mistake for Emberling being the bodyguard target. Much appreciated!

I think it's just a game with a lot of moving parts. Whenever you realize you're doing something wrong, just make a note of it and keep going. Like I mentioned, I keep playing different masters and I usually realize halfway through a game I messed up a trigger or used an action wrong. I'm really trying to get things down but I'm also about to get the Relic Hunter box and probably Lucius' box too. There are just too many pretty/cool models in this game...

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Between Kaeris, Ironsides and Mei Feng I'm tempted to pick up the Arcanists. I wish Malifaux was biger around here so I could justify just going full force into this game only instead of having to keep a couple small armies for when my Malifaux people aren't able to make it to the LGS.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Is Von Schill's fun to play as/against? I think I'm going to cave to get something else to paint in addition to my Pandora crew, and so far it's a toss up between Relic Hunters, Von Schill and Ophelia.
I just put together most of my Relic Hunters, they went together pretty smoothly. I got the set because I like the aesthetic but they seem pretty good as a basic set. With all of the stuff I have from Guild already, I think McCabe might be one of my new favorite masters. I'm not sure how great he'd be under Ten Thunders, though.

I almost went with Von Schill just because all the stuff he comes with slots nicely in other crews and I was thinking I might want to run as Outcasts in an upcoming tournament. Someone at the lgs mentioned that Von Schill and the Freikorps are pretty much Malifaux space marines. Take that as you will.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

When I got into 2nd Ed I was the only Space Marines player in my group so that's not all bad - but I am a little worried at how vanilla they seem. What kind of load-out do you have for McCabe? I would be running him as Guild most likely.

Well, his whole crew is exactly 25pts. Then I probably want a couple guild hounds, so that takes it to 31. Then I think I'll probably take Sidir's upgrade "By Your Side" which is 1 stone and let's him take a hit once per turn for someone in 5 inches and also give Sid Promises for 1 stone to give a 6 aura + to wp and ml. I think Badge of Speed, Glowing Saber and Elixir of Life sound good and that takes me to 39. I think with all the hounds, I'd probably want more shooters but I'm also going to need some soulstones because McCabe is only a 2 cache. So, 5 stones for him and then an Austringer for movement and shooting and because it's Guild.

This is just a basic list, in reality, it really depends on strat, scheme and what you might face. I just know it seems like McCabe wants full upgrades and at least one wastrel to loan them out to. Sidir seems like he will be a great body guard, the By your Side upgrade is good. I really like to bring snipers like Nino or Hans and so Luna and Guild hounds are good to run up and give your gun line positive flips. Guardsmen might be good, too.

All that being said, I only get about a game a month so it might be some time before I have figured out what's really good.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Schmetterling posted:

I really dislike the new mannequin sculpt. The first thing anyone is going to see on those models isn't cool sword arms or fancy dresses. It's mannequin boobs. The most prominent feature of the sculpt, apart from the creepily like-a-real-person legs and torso are the unnecessary stitched on breasts.

The original mannequins I loved; they were obviously fake, clumsy, but had fancy dresses to paint and hidden usefulness. Now they're some sort of dancer that happens to have robot arms and prominent chests?

I'm disappointed.

I am guessing there might be a couple alternate limbs for the mannequin. I personally think it looks cool but it lacks the sort of subtlety that Collette's crew usually sports.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

What are some good models to add to a Lucius or Rasputina crew? Any mercenaries that would be good for both? I was thinking of grabbing Hans to snipe models that manage to get in melee with my Guild Lawyers but I'm not sure how effective that would be.

For Lucius:
I grabbed Graves, Tannen and the beckoners and I'll probably get a doppelganger the next time I'm at my lgs. I think Lucius will like having the extra mimics and the tricks they bring seem like they will work well with Lucius' bag of tricks. Hans is always a good add, I think, but Guild riflemen would also be good because of Dashel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Is Misaki worth running without any other Last Blossom models? Should she always have an entourage?